View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Saltmarsh campaign: 
Greater Lore Drake

Post Saltmarsh campaign:
CKed 'Sinister Secret o' Saltmarsh' last night for a group new to C&C...and it rocked.

We laughed, ate munchies, and laughed some more...

And I CKed this first edition jem with zero change to the module (except for 'on the fly' ACs)

The group comprised of d20ers, and a guy with a 2nd ed./Rifts background.

Awesome.

Wed May 30, 2007 6:22 pm
Red Cap

Glad it went so well. It sounds like a good group, and I know it's a great adventure! Is any danger on the horizon for Dunwater?

Wed May 30, 2007 6:57 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Post re
Tis...

But I'm a tad worried about level; the PCs are almost at second and only past the first part of Sinister.

Wed May 30, 2007 7:08 pm
Lore Drake

Great module, slimy. Probably the best starter module ever. The second part of the module requires stealth, rather than brawn. Hopefully your experienced players can adapt to that. Fortunately C & C, rather than the more restrictive 1st ed. rules the module was designed for, do allow for all players to succeed at such checks.

If not, the [spoiler] is relatively small, and the clashing of steel rings loudly within it.

Although I like the fact that the third module in the series eventually leads the PCs to a rather unique environment [spoiler], you could also use this module to connect to some of the other classics instead. N1 would probably be my preference. That could later tie into some version of the A series, for example

Good stuff

Homer Simpson

Wed May 30, 2007 7:25 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Post re
How'd you guys find the levels went for the PCs -if you played the entire series?

We're they too powerful by Final Enemy?

Wed May 30, 2007 7:30 pm
Lore Drake

Actually, although I own all three modules, I have only gone through them in Neverwinter Nights (a PC game) which allows a human DM to run a module. It was good fun though. The second module was a bit of a meaningless slog at times. The third was a very cool adaptation of the [spoiler] environment. But I cannot really speak to how it played in Pen and Paper style.

If you do feel they are levelling too quickly, you can always shift the 1GP=1XP slider for money treasure and reduce the XPs for magic items.

If that is a bit too miserly, throw in some Goals Achieved bonuses to compensate

Homer Simpson

Wed May 30, 2007 7:41 pm
Red Cap

Post Re: re
Quote:
slimykuotoan wrote:
How'd you guys find the levels went for the PCs -if you played the entire series?

We're they too powerful by Final Enemy?

I'm afraid I can't help you there. When I ran these adventures, the party's "kick in the front door" mindset sent them to their early graves. Only the thief made it out alive, and I think he felt like a character in a Lovecraft story.

Thu May 31, 2007 12:30 am
Cleric of Zagyg

Post Re: Saltmarsh campaign:
Quote:
slimykuotoan wrote:
CKed 'Sinister Secret o' Saltmarsh' last night for a group new to C&C...and it rocked.

We laughed, ate munchies, and laughed some more...

And I CKed this first edition jem with zero change to the module (except for 'on the fly' ACs)

The group comprised of d20ers, and a guy with a 2nd ed./Rifts background.

Awesome.

Sounds frickin' excellente. I'm glad to hear it went well.

Enjoy!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Thu May 31, 2007 1:08 am
Hlobane Orc

I don't know if you know, but the city of Saltmarsh is described in detail in the DMG2. It's adventures/encounters are geared towards pretty high-level characters, but there's lots of inspiration in there (the rest of book, cheese).

Thu May 31, 2007 10:29 am
Ulthal

I would contend that the person who wrote the Saltmarsh article in the DMG II has never actually read the original module. 'Tis a shame and a blasphemy for many a GH fan. That being said, it is a fine piece with some interesting adventure hooks, as you note -- as long as you call it by some other name, not Saltmarsh. IMHO, of course.
--Jeff T.

Thu May 31, 2007 11:15 am
Mist Elf

This is another one of those situations in which I wish that I could release / distribute my own "expanded" version of a D&D module. I did some nifty work on that series...

Group Looking for more in Baton Rouge, Louisiana!
http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ames#73203

Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:44 am
Ulthal

So I too ran Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, and the game went well, although Ned did manage to assassinate a party member, and another party member was killed due to foolhardiness. These characters were replaced quickly (C&C is a lovely thing, eh?) and the game went on, the secret solved! Then it came time to take on the Sea Ghost, and the party failed! They were not killed, but most reduced to unconsciousness and the all captured by the pirates! Now they lie naked and in chains!

I've since had them roll up new characters, putting their captured characters on the back-burner for now, but one day I will surprise my players and begin play with those characters in the brig of that ship! Who know how things will result!
--Jeff T

Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]