I HAVE CREATED NEW CONVERTS

Within are to be writ the tales of daring and adventure of those who have placed themselves on the path of glory. Share your exploits with other Castlers & Crusaders!
Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

I HAVE CREATED NEW CONVERTS

Post by Jason Vey »

...in 2 friends of mine who I don't get to see nearly often enough, even though we only live an hour apart.

My buddy Ron IMed me yesterday just to say hello, and I know he's a D&D player. I asked him if he played 3.5 b/c he preferred it, or if he was more an old school guy.

His response was along the lines of, "We absolutely LOVED AD&D, but got forced into 3.5."

So I got him checking out C&C. As of yesterday afternoon, he'd ordered the PHB (Collectors' Edition), M&T, Castle Zagyg, the CK Screens, several adventure modules, and had purchased the C&C Condensed PDF.

Now I have to run a one-shot to get him, his wife, and their kids (aged 12 and 15) started .

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Awesome! Capital work, Grey Elf.

The use of the words "forced into 3.5" seems interesting. I think that there has historically been a good degree of pressure in gaming to be current.

But this has changed recently, as there seems to be more resistance to the edition treadmill. With games like C&C, and Hackmaster, I think that there's been a definite backlash against that mentality. People are old school and proud of it.

Even outside of AD&D, I know quite a few people that still play the old World of Darkness system/setting.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Well, perhaps its about time people realize latest does not equal greatest. Cool, on the "conversion." May the Crusade linger in their minds.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Congrats Jason. That is very cool to hear.

As for players coming back into the "old-School" mode it's funny that many of these players who claim to come back, do so by purchasing C&C, etc, etc. It's interesting to see how the desire to purchase new products stays with one even though you old material is just as good.

.......................................Omote

FPQ
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Omote wrote:
Congrats Jason. That is very cool to hear.

As for players coming back into the "old-School" mode it's funny that many of these players who claim to come back, do so by purchasing C&C, etc, etc. It's interesting to see how the desire to purchase new products stays with one even though you old material is just as good.

.......................................Omote

FPQ

None of the old material is as good as the SIEGE engine. The SIEGE mechanic is what "does it" for me.

Plus I like to buy new material because I like seeing other people ideas and new takes and twists on old concepts.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Thanks, all. He's been peppering me with questions all day. He loves it so far.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The Grey Elf wrote:
Thanks, all. He's been peppering me with questions all day. He loves it so far.

Definitely a good sign. I agree it looks like you have a definite convert to the Crusade. Congrats!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Prince of Happiness
Hlobane Orc

Post by Prince of Happiness »

Treebore wrote:
Plus I like to buy new material because I like seeing other people ideas and new takes and twists on old concepts.

Also, I'd have to say that there's definitely 30 years of "refinement" in adventure creation that people have figured out so we can have more Keep On the Borderlands and less The Forest Oracle for your old-school enjoyment.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Excellent report, The Grey Elf!!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Ghul
Ulthal

Post by Ghul »

Way to go, grass root-style!

--Jeff T.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Update: June 30 is the day of the "one shot". I just need to figure out what I'm going to run. I have a DCC that I think might be good. It's called "Return of the Ripper," or something similar to that.

My only worry is, I *know* they're going to want a regular group out of this, and I can't handle a fourth gaming group right now.

StealthSuitStanley
Hlobane Orc

Post by StealthSuitStanley »

Try to incorporate them into your existing groups, maybe?

Just in idea.

SSS

----------------------------

"Size matters not."

-Yoda, Jedi Master
CK of the Planewalker's Society

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

There will be five people playing, none of which are in any of my other groups.

One of my other groups has five people already; the second has six, the third, seven.

No room for five more in any of them.

zomben
Ungern

Post by zomben »

For what it's worth, I give Jason (Grey Elf) direct credit for getting me into C&C as well.

The Trolls totally owe him dinner at GenCon...

sieg
Unkbartig

Post by sieg »

Another guy from the AFMBE boards to C&C!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'm about to introduce a group of guys who haven't role-played in about 20 years to C&C by running them through R1 - To the Aid of Falx, an old AD&D module. It was designed for tournament play and would be a good choice for a one-off adventure night, I think. Plenty of hack-and-slash as well as some good traps to work through. Bonus points: You can download it for $4 at Paizo. The module is somewhat tough and you may have to fudge your rolls a little to keep the kids alive (there's nothing that ruins a game night as much as watching a 12-year-old run off to cry because you killed his beloved character). It's designed for 6 pregenerated characters and I wouldn't recommend tackling the module without all 6 characters in action.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Buttmonkey wrote:
I'm about to introduce a group of guys who haven't role-played in about 20 years to C&C by running them through R1 - To the Aid of Falx, an old AD&D module. It was designed for tournament play and would be a good choice for a one-off adventure night, I think. Plenty of hack-and-slash as well as some good traps to work through. Bonus points: You can download it for $4 at Paizo. The module is somewhat tough and you may have to fudge your rolls a little to keep the kids alive (there's nothing that ruins a game night as much as watching a 12-year-old run off to cry because you killed his beloved character). It's designed for 6 pregenerated characters and I wouldn't recommend tackling the module without all 6 characters in action.

I've had 27 year old males run off and cry.

Welcome to the Crusades and these boards. Hope to see you sharing your thoughts/ideas/opinions a lot in the future.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Treebore wrote:
Welcome to the Crusades and these boards. Hope to see you sharing your thoughts/ideas/opinions a lot in the future.

Thanks! I've been out of role-playing games for many, many years, but I'm looking to make a big comeback. I decided to run a D&D night for my dad as a Father's Day present and discovered C&C while digging around for ideas. Now I'm looking to get a regular group going -- it could be tough since the local game shops say no one is playing it here (little b^&#@$#s are obsessed with miniature battles and their evil handmaiden, E3.5). I would also be interested in playing online via chat if anyone has a game running on something other than Mondays or Tuesdays (weekends best).
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Yes, welcome to the Crusades. Always glad to see another one pick up the game.

I see your location is listed as the Quad Cities. Happen to be the Moline/Rock Island/Davenport/Bettendorf Quad Cities?

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

DangerDwarf wrote:
I see your location is listed as the Quad Cities. Happen to be the Moline/Rock Island/Davenport/Bettendorf Quad Cities?

That's the one!

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I was born in Moline. While I'm in Texas now, most of my family lives in or around the Quad Cities.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Cool. When did you move?

I grew up in Bettendorf. And, just to be accurate, the Quad Cities are properly listed as: Bettendorf, Davenport, Moline, and Rock Island.

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I haven't lived there since 81. After that, I spent summers there growing up.

I was hoping to go up there this month, then up to LGGC but that didn't work out. Suppose there is always next year however.

Tank
Red Cap

Post by Tank »

Welcome to the Crusade! Let us know how the game goes, especially if anyone starts to tear up.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Well, today's the big day. People arriving around 1:00. Wish me luck! I'll be running one of the Goodman Games Free RPG Day modules (DCC or WFF; I'm going to give them a choice between standard dungeon crawl or XTREEM dungeon crawl!)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The Grey Elf wrote:
Well, today's the big day. People arriving around 1:00. Wish me luck! I'll be running one of the Goodman Games Free RPG Day modules (DCC or WFF; I'm going to give them a choice between standard dungeon crawl or XTREEM dungeon crawl!)

Good luck! I haven't even gotten my shipment from Noble Knight Games with my copies of those mods yet.

One of the prices I pay for living where I do. Slow mail.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Well, I ran the Sinister Secret of Whiterock mod, and we set it in Aerth, the Known World campaign setting from Goodman.

It went SPLENDID. Everyone had an absolute BLAST, and at the end of the game, my buddy declared to his family (it was his wife and kids, and my buddy Jeff), "Get used to it, people, because we're done with D&D."

The only problems arose from his 10-year-old son being, well, 10. i.e. he wanted every magic item and good piece of treasure they found for himself, and when he didn't get it, it was "not fair."

But you'll have that. The kid will grow up eventually, and for a 10-year-old, he wasn't bad.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Sounds like you had a good time! I'm anxious for that little DCC too which will hopefully arrive sometime later this week.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

I'll tell you what; for a first level party it is BRUTAL. I had FOUR near TPK's, and it's just a little mini-dungeon.

Watch out for the owlbear and the assassin vine!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The Grey Elf wrote:
Well, I ran the Sinister Secret of Whiterock mod, and we set it in Aerth, the Known World campaign setting from Goodman.

It went SPLENDID. Everyone had an absolute BLAST, and at the end of the game, my buddy declared to his family (it was his wife and kids, and my buddy Jeff), "Get used to it, people, because we're done with D&D."

The only problems arose from his 10-year-old son being, well, 10. i.e. he wanted every magic item and good piece of treasure they found for himself, and when he didn't get it, it was "not fair."

But you'll have that. The kid will grow up eventually, and for a 10-year-old, he wasn't bad.

Very true. Plus 10 year olds differ, like my 11 year old quit having those "unfair" issues when he was 7. Maybe it is because he is the youngest. Now he is a very good roleplayer.

I am also glad to hear yet another family uses RPG's as quality family time.