My first Castles and Crusades Con Game

Within are to be writ the tales of daring and adventure of those who have placed themselves on the path of glory. Share your exploits with other Castlers & Crusaders!
old school gamer
Red Cap

My first Castles and Crusades Con Game

Post by old school gamer »

So I just got back from Necronomicon from Tampa, Florida, http://www.stonehill.org/necro.htm

I intended to run The Rising Knight on Saturday and Shadows of Halfling Hall on Sunday. Unfortunately I had a no show on the Rising Knight but I did have a full team on Sunday. It ran fairly well.

The adventure had six pregens.

Dwarf Fighter 2nd level

Half-elf Rogue 2nd level

Half-Orc Barbarian 2nd level

Human Wizard 2nd level

Elf Cleric 2nd level

And a

2nd level.Halfling Paladin

One player caught up with me early and wanted to play his own character so I let him make up a Gnome Illusionist. What was funny about this is that he owns the adventure and knew against most of the undead he would be useless but it slipped his mind. For what its worth he didn't metagame (or at least tried not to).

No one played the Halfling Paladin.

So anyway I started the adventure with the players arriving in Newbriar to collect the 100 g.p. reward. They started out by arriving at the Empty Flagon and meeting up with Redd. He gave them information about Brambletoe and then the players went to question the pig farmer about the zombie guard he had seen. The dwarf and the half-orc decided to buy themselves some pig mounts once they realized that they needed to go back to town to question two other citizens, the Furrier and the owner of the General Store of whom Brambletoe had owed money to. The Dwarf and the Half-orc both fell off their "mounts" on the way back and once they got to town they questioned the two business owners.

They found out the Willic Brambletoe was pompous ass who owed alot of people money and the adventures promised to returned what they found. Finally, the PC's made it to the Estate. They were amushed by a Halfling ghoul who successfully paralyzed the Gnome before the Cleric was able to turn it. The heroes realized that it was one of the guest of the Mayor's birthday party and contined on to the estate.

The heroes than investigated the first room and encountered the 9 zombies. The cleric only turned a total of two zombies and the rest fought off them while the cleric fired her bow at the turned undead. They defeated them and while the Rogue was searching the webs on the ceiling he was attacked by a spider. She was bitten but made her save and killed it in one blow. They then found the body of the Reeve, the head of the town guard, dead in the webbing. They also discovered the all of the zombies had one eye and one hand missing.

The party rogue then found the passage under the fireplace and they went down to the Barrow complex. They then had a disgusting battle with the disembodied hands and eyes that flew up and attacked them. The gnome almost got strangled but the Wizard case magic missile and killed the thing before it killed the gnome. He still went down under the damage (he got hurt a lot), but only went to 0 hit points. The dwarf stomped on two hands at a time while the half-orc kept missing with his great sword, until by the third round he finally connected and killed his hand. They eventually won that battle but were very creeped out by then.

They continued on from there and went to the spaced acid trip room. The impulsive half-orc then proceeded activate the already detected trap and everyone had to make saves. Three failed. The gnome was convinced that he was invisible, while the wizard went screaming and the rogue curled up into a ball and wept. The gnome, who is convinced that he was safely invisible, went to the statues showing the king defeating all sorts of monsters and foes. The rest of the heroes recovered from their delusions and formed up. They didnt take any of the objects but they did end up getting to the room with the armored zombie and his shadow. The wizard got hit with the shadow (damn spellcasters kept getting hurt that day), while the dwarf and the half-orc, meat shield one and meat sheild two, took on the armored zombie. They were successful and went onto fake royalty burial room. The rogue managed to find the trap but failed to disarm it. Thankfully he made his save and only took 1 hit point.

They then found the mechanism to make the room sink down and discovered the real bodies of the king and queen. The gnome illusionist decided to check out the bodies of the royal couple and got nearly throttled by the lesser mummy that the king and queen had become. The gnome went down again but the cleric decided that since the gnomes magic wasnt really working she left him to heal someone else. After a hard fight the heroes defeated the mummies and we pretty much ended the game after that as we were going into overtime as it was.

It was a pretty fun game. Everyone seemed to like the system a lot because of its simplicity and fast combat. The only complaint I had was that I needed speak louder because in the gaming room it can get pretty loud.

So heres to next and more C&C!

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Excellent post and congrats to you.

I love to read about how people run this adventure. So many variations and great ideas. It was my first C&C adventure and probably my favorite.

Heh, and every time I read how other people ran it, I want to run it again and use all the great ideas that CKs have used.

Hmm, "Return to Baleon Nakt" or "Return to Malforten"!
Well done!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth