C&C in the Known World

Within are to be writ the tales of daring and adventure of those who have placed themselves on the path of glory. Share your exploits with other Castlers & Crusaders!
DougP
Mist Elf

C&C in the Known World

Post by DougP »

I'm sure it's been discussed here before, and I'm looking through the older posts but I thought I'd ask for any advice or links about running a C&C game in the old D&D Known World. I've been rounding out my old collection of materials and modules from back in my original D&D days in the early '80s.

I'm a complete C&C virgin, but I'm keen to try it with my kids (10 and 7) and maybe my wife.

My older son wants to play a Ranger (one of my favorite classes) but of course there aren't any in the setting so I'm wondering where I should fit them in. Same for any of the other non-D&D classes I guess, though it seems that it would be a little hard to play a Paladin since there aren't any gods. Maybe the class could be modified to work with the Immortals.

Now the simplistic way would be to let the boys play whatever class they want, but not really change the setting, so that they would be the only Ranger and Knight in the whole world. I'd rather put more into it, but that means reviewing all of my material and changing the NPCs to appropriate C&C classes. Lots of work, but then that's kind of fun too.

So, here's my request to plagiarize your work. What's out there to help me get started?

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

What's with the 10 year-olds and rangers? That's what my oldest plays as well.

Never ran the Known worlds; always did homebrew back in the day, so I have no suggestions - I'm sure others will.

But welcome to the Crusade! Let us know how it goes.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Stuie wrote:
What's with the 10 year-olds and rangers? That's what my oldest plays as well.

Never ran the Known worlds; always did homebrew back in the day, so I have no suggestions - I'm sure others will.

But welcome to the Crusade! Let us know how it goes.

Probably the "Aragorn" effect...
Of course, when I played AD&D in the 80's every ranger wanted to be Hank from the cartoon.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

My question is:

Why would Rangers and Paladin's be the only ones in the Known World? I think it would be easy enough to assume that there are other rangers and knights in the campaign, they just don't happen to be statted up in your current game materials.

As for using paladin's, it could easily work where immortals have the paladin class as it is described in the C&C PHB. Back in the old days of Basic D&D (and the Known World) there were paladins, as they could be 10th level lawful-good fighters. It's safe to say that the paladins could also be devoted to the Spheres (entropy for example) rather then a particular immortal.

I have run about 10 sessions of C&C in the Known World and I didn't change a thing. Though, to be fair a lot of the technical aspects didn't come up. Though we did have two rangers in the party if I remember correctly.

Best luck!

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

BASH MAN
Red Cap

Post by BASH MAN »

Rangers could be Thyatian Foresters. See the Thyatis/Alphatia book for details-- essentially they are humans trained by elves to be Fighter mages, but it might be more sense story-wise to make them rangers.

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.

DougP
Mist Elf

Post by DougP »

Thanks, that should be helpful. I need to research more about the Immortals, and I'll need to chase down the Thyatis/Alphatia book (probably PDF, the wife is starting to wonder if I'll ever finish buying old books on eBay).

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

C&C in the GDK, that's how I roll!
Seriously though, you don't need to change much. Rangers I'd use as is. If it helps, here's a player doc I worked up for playing Knights in Karameikos. IMC, GDK Knight PCs must be humans of Thyatian descent.
Quote:
A knight of Karameikos can be either a Knight Errant, beholden to the Duke and his representatives, or part of the Order of the Griffon, a templar order within the Church of Karameikos. In either case the knight holds to a code of chivalric conduct and may expect certain benefits as befits his status.

A Knight PC of 4th level or less is considered a squire and is not entitled to the full status of a knight. He is the equivalent of a Court Lord (or Lady) and is addressed as "Squire." The squire has a patron (usu. a Knight) to whom he has sworn loyalty. This patron is typically the one who secured the title of Squire for the PC by writing to the Duke and vouching for the character. The squire usually lives or travels with the patron, but often he is sent out to learn and practice on his own, though he is expected to keep in touch with his patron.

At or around 5th level, the knight is said to have won his spurs and gains full status, he is addressed as "Sir" (or "Dame"). There is usually a ceremony and an appearance at the Duke's court to mark such an occasion. At this point the Knight is considered on equal footing with other knights (including his former patron), noble titles, etc. notwithstanding.

Benefits of Squires:

Addressed as "Squire" and accorded respect as a member of the gentry.

Typically given hospitality by most nobles (for at least a night or two) without charge. Custom dictates that the squire tries to repay the favor or at least offer recompense.

Entitled to attend court in Specularum and petition the Duke (though this is seldom done and doesn't mean he'll answer right away)

Benefits of Knights Errant:

Addressed as "Sir" (or "Dame"). Considered nobility.

Entitled to demand hospitality from members of the nobility (even the Duke) for himself and his companions. Chivalry demands that the knight try to find a way to repay the host's kindness.

May attend court in Specularum if he wishes.

May request the Duke grant the title of Squire to an apprentice by writing a letter vouching for the applicant.

May request passage on a naval vessel (except in times of war) free of charge. Note: Naval officers often hold noble rank; so being overly demanding can make the knight enemies at court.

Is exempt from most weapon laws.

After a character has had a chance to prove himself as a Knight, they may be asked to join the Order of the Griffon. The order is a prestigious organization dedicated to the Duke and the Church of Karameikos. Not all knights join (or are asked) the Order, as it is a primarily religious organization. Often Landed Knights prefer to remain the Duke's men so as to avoid any possible complications. Knights of the Order enjoy all the original benefits of being a Knight Errant as well as the following:

Benefits of a Knight of the Griffon:

Hold the same rank within the CoK as a priest.

Has the right to demand hospitality from any CoK temple for him and his companions. The knight customarily phrases this as a request and will try to repay kindness with kindness, but he is within his rights to order it. He is also entitled to free healing (if available). This does not extend to his non-knightly companions, but may be offered as a kindness.

May demand audience with any Patriarch.

Chivalric Code:

Courage- A knight never flees unless all hope of victory is lost.

Honesty- A knight does not lie or prevaricate the truth.

Honor- A knight's word is his bond. He upholds the spirit of an oath, not the letter. He fights honorably, eschewing cowardly tactics like ambush or attacking the unarmed. He forgoes weapons associated with cowards and the like. Nor will he use normally use ranged weapons.

Humility- A true knight does not boast, but lets his deeds speak for him

Justice- A knight seeks to set wrongs right and to be fair in his dealings. He is merciful when he can be, but circumstances do not always allow for it.

Loyalty- A knight is loyal to his liege (or church), his family, his companions, and his cause.

Largesse- A knight is generous. He is not grasping with wealth or offering his aid. He seeks no recompense, for those of honor will repay him willingly.

Valor- A knight seeks to uphold his good name, and the reputation of all knights, and to face ordeals -or even death- with valor.

Knight 's Weapons & Armor:

Any Armor or Shield.

No Club, Cestus, Whip, Sling, Bows, or Crossbow*

*Knights are proficient in all weapons, but their chivalric code prevents them from using those listed except in very unusual or dire circumstances. For instance, a knight in a besieged castle might use a bow to fire at the attacking enemy if there was no other way to attack. Likewise, if fighting to protect innocents from a monster, a disarmed knight might pick up a club to carry on fighting if no other weapon was available.
“Style is the perfection of a point of view.”

DougP
Mist Elf

Post by DougP »

bighara,

You are officially my 2nd favorite person this week. (First place goes to the Vet who saved my wife's cat from a near-fatal infection.)

Thanks for the info!

DougP

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

DougP wrote:
bighara,

You are officially my 2nd favorite person this week. (First place goes to the Vet who saved my wife's cat from a near-fatal infection.)

Thanks for the info!

DougP

who can ask for anything more?
“Style is the perfection of a point of view.”