Castle Whiterock

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Kayolan
Lore Drake

Re: Castle Whiterock

Post by Kayolan »

Message from Rhiannon on Skype:

Hey guys, my Dad went into the ER on Friday and will be having Surgery tomorrow and will likely be out of gaming for a few weeks. He is doing fine at the moment and he should be out of the woods now. If you could let the boards know, and any other games groups he is in with you guys know that would be great.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Calculated the XPs for last session, see update on page 1.

Kos is now a 6th level barbarian...
Ghary is now a 6th level fighter...
and Barryls is now a 6th level cleric...

There were some close calls, namely when Kos jumped onto the back of the giant crayfish and went with it into the watery depths. Barryls also got caught in a crayfish's grip, but broke free and saved his own life as well. Good use of hero & luck points!

You three each get one hero point for going up a level as usual. Also, Kos and Ghary each gain one advantage from the CKG.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

AWE-some
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Kayolan wrote:Calculated the XPs for last session, see update on page 1.

Kos is now a 6th level barbarian...
Ghary is now a 6th level fighter...
and Barryls is now a 6th level cleric...

There were some close calls, namely when Kos jumped onto the back of the giant crayfish and went with it into the watery depths. Barryls also got caught in a crayfish's grip, but broke free and saved his own life as well. Good use of hero & luck points!

You three each get one hero point for going up a level as usual. Also, Kos and Ghary each gain one advantage from the CKG.
I think that last session really showed the value of the hero points. We essentially had to fight the crayfish. We were in a very dangerous special environment. They had a special power to grapple from which it was almost impossible for us to get clear. All combined for a few dangerous encounters. What was needed was someone with the temerity to jump on the crayfish and ride them down to Davey jones' locker while yelling "Yee ha!".

And so it came to pass!

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Aramis wrote:What was needed was someone with the temerity to jump on the crayfish and ride them down to Davey jones' locker while yelling "Yee ha!".
:P :oops: :P
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Tough game last night and we ended the session with the party in a desperate situation.

400 XP bonus to anyone that posts a recap of the last two sessions for Treebore. :)

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Kayolan wrote: 400 XP bonus to anyone that posts a recap of the last two sessions for Treebore. :)
Veni, vidi, vici

I think that about covers it ;)

No need for an XP bonus. I would be happy to provide a brief recap for both Marc and Treebore. However, I had an unfortunate incident with a troglodyte spear, followed by an even more unfortunate incident with

F=G m1m2
r2

And sadly the ol' memory box is no longer functional

Essentially, the two sessions can be divided into an aquatic quest and a troglodytic delve. In session 1 a nixie used her charming wiles on myself and Gary, convincing us that it would be a good idea to go and fight a giant crayfish _underwater_ so that she could return to her watery home with her tribe. Now, I think we can all agree that sounds very unlike something I would do, but her charms were such that I eagerly volunteered. Plus, she offered us a magic ring if we cleared the way for her, and the waterbreathing she imparted to us with a kiss did not hurt matters either

We entered the lair of the crayfish with trepidation, unable to see anything in the murk. Eventually we found a slimy ledge and climbed out of the water. At that point the hidden crayfish attacked from the depths, grabbing Gary's stout dwarven torso and pulling him under. After examining all his options in the sober, deliberate manner that Kos is famous for, the barbarian decided that the best course of action was to jump on the back of the crayfish. Sadly, his remains were never found

Kidding! Actually Kos was able to deal out some fearsome damage while the creature was surfaced, but then it decided to plunge back to the depths with Kos on its back. So none of us could now see the creature but Gary, smitten with nixie lust, dove after Kos and the creature and eventually we were able to vanquish it. So a difficult battle but we overcame. Feeling confident, we decided to swim to the last chamber and make sure that was clear too. And lo, it was clear. Except for the TWO more giant crayfish, that is! The party swam for the ledge in this room and managed to climb up, but now we were trapped, and none of us felt like going for a crayfish ride. Eventually I told everyone to stand well back and cast a lightning bolt into the water. It looked kind of like a lightning bomb going off under water. Two giant crayfish gently bobbed to the surface and the way was clear. We also found other areas to explore but, as they were completely underwater, we decided to avoid them

We returned to the Nixie who gifted us with the magic ring, as well as a magic sword from her deceased brother. I also requested many many more kisses, but was rebuffed, although she did say that her tribe would help us in the future.

The ring turned out to be more than a ring of water breathing, and in fact I recognized it as possessing both intelligence and various undetermined powers.

Last session we went to a deeper level, and woe to us for doing so. Back to the safe confines of the upper levels, or perhaps the Tomb of Horrors for some light amusement, I say. We encountered some standard troglodytes and their "pets" (rats the size of black bears) and managed to defeat them with some spell slinging and some sword swinging.

The chamber we were in had multiple exits. I scouted the first exit and found some troglodytes fighting a losing battle against a grey ooze, a truly terrifying creature whose digestion seems to occur on the outside of its body from what we could see of all the body parts on the creature. I mentioned that these creatures are hard to spot so we might want to take it on now, rather than later but others wisely noted we had no weapons that could harm it without harming the weapons. So, we left it and scouted the south which had an exit through a hole with a rope leading down. Seemed safe so I waved everyone down, only to be ambushed by invisible hulking troglodytes, each of whom could bench press me with ease, and looked determined to try! Things looked dire, but then the troglodytes decided to use their secret powers (no, being huge, and invisible were not enough) and spit a blinding acid at each of us, in addition to the retching we were already experiencing from the troglodyte stench (or perhaps from the stew Barryls made the night before ;) ). By some miracle we all managed to avoid being blinded (which would have been a death sentence) and then everyone scrambled back out of the hole. It looked something like this

We heaved a sigh of relief when we were clear of those brutes, knowing we were now safe and would not see them again. I then scouted the exit, and noticed a door knob stuck in a wall. Knowing full well it was a trap (and in fact saying so out loud) was no defence against poor rolls and I was soon almost slain by newtonian gravity as the passage collapsed around me. I landed in the level below, and was met with the bizarre sight of a flying dwarf cackling and whipping a rat steed pulling a sledge. As I said, the fall caused some mental impairment, since clearly that vision would not occur in the real world. Kos, the noble barbarian, seeing my plight, strode forth to save me, only to be felled by a second trap!. As the two of us scrambled clear of the debris, thankful to be alive, the invisible hulking super troglodytes reappeared, intent on some grievous bodily harm, perhaps even some malicious wounding

Now that I have the chance, let me just add this:

I , Merrith, being of both unsound mind and body because of flying dwarf trapmakers, and troglodyte assaults, do hereby bequeath my worldy possessions to my cousin, Verrith, who fortunately has the exact same class and attributes as I have. So help me God.

:lol:

Another great couple of sessions by Kayolan

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Aramis wrote:
Kayolan wrote:
I , Merrith, being of both unsound mind and body because of flying dwarf trapmakers, and troglodyte assaults, do hereby bequeath my worldy possessions to my cousin, Verrith, who fortunately has the exact same class and attributes as I have. So help me God.

:lol:
Good call! (and great recap btw)

I should have reminded you guys to include a will at the bottom of your character sheets :lol:

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

XP updated.

Raulyn is now a 6th level paladin...

Merrith is now a 6th level assassin...

Raulyn and Merrith both gain a hero point and one advantage from the CKG.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

XP updated...

Ghary has reached level 7...

that is all... ;)

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Good game tonight guys!

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Game is on tomorrow.

Aramis and Marc, still need to know your choices of advantages. Hope everyone can make the game, I took the liberty of assigning Treebore's secondary and tertiary attributes, and will choose an advantage for him as well, he can of course change these when he comes back to the game.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

XP updated on page 1...

Barryls is now a 7th level cleric...

Kos is now a 7th level barbarian...

you both gain a hero point...

about what is found on the troglodytes...

12 javelins
2 glaives
2 slings
40 sling stones
1 tanglefoot bag
1 war hammer
expert studded leather
heavy wooden shield
large sack with assorted mushrooms

the spear that Sleshu carried (and returned to him after he hurled it): The spear’s blade is a strange, pearly material and it has white feathers tied by golden cord to the blade; grime or time seems to have not dulled the feathers. Written in Celestial along the shaft is:
".... .... ....... ... ........ ........ .. .......; .. .. ... .... .. ........ .. ..., .......”(Merrith and Barryls knows that it's Celestial, but neither can speak the language).

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Updated XP (page 1)...

Merrith is now a 5th level wizard...

Barryls spent a hero point to miraculously turn the Most Bloated Muthren...

Ghary spent a hero point to bring down maximum damage on the Most Bloated Muthren...

Had fun last night, it was a battle against time and you guys pulled it off. Happy Thanksgiving guys!

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Kayolan wrote:Updated XP (page 1)...

Merrith is now a 5th level wizard...
Huzzah! Merrith begins shooting lightning bolts from his fingers in celebration 8-)
Kayolan wrote:Barryls spent a hero point to miraculously turn the Most Bloated Muthren...
We (the DM and the players) spent more time debating this decision than we spent on tactics and strategy for the battle. No one wanted to use another player's hero point but I think it proved to be the only hope we had. Even after he miraculously turned him, and Raulyn turned the guardians, it still took us the full 10 rounds of the turn's effect to finish him off! Imagine if he had been able to take actions for each of those ten rounds :shock:
Kayolan wrote:Ghary spent a hero point to bring down maximum damage on the Most Bloated Muthren...

Had fun last night, it was a battle against time and you guys pulled it off. Happy Thanksgiving guys!
Great game Kayolan. Hopefully all is well with slimy and hopefully Treebore will be back among us next week.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Hi, sorry I missed guys; I had a work thing and thought I would make it home in time.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

XP updated, no changes in levels...

However, the party is wintering in Cillimar for the next two months...

so far Merrith has aquired an expert composite long bow that is +1 to hit...
Merrith charges up his wand of lightning bolts to full capacity (50 charges)...
Raulyn now owns a custom fitted suit of dwarven full plate (+10 to AC, weighs 45 lbs.) crafted by Alrux Silverheel...
Kos and Raulyn also had Alrux craft them each an expert medium-sized steel shield...

Not sure what Barryls and Ghary want to accomplish during the next two months, but they each now have 2,488 gp, 4 sp, and 4 cp to think it over...

4 winter wolf pelts... each to be custom trimmed by a tailor according to Raulyn's, Merrith's, Kos's, and Ghary's specifications...

many... many... tales are told around the fire at the Slumbering Drake this winter... and Chauntessa asks about the party's progress...free room and board to all in the party!

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Kayolan wrote:However, the party is wintering in Cillimar for the next two months...

many... many... tales are told around the fire at the Slumbering Drake this winter... and Chauntessa asks about the party's progress...free room and board to all in the party!
Kos is intending to be quite slothful! :)

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

So, what do you guys want to do next?

Explore this other world for a while, or go back through the portal?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Kayolan wrote:So, what do you guys want to do next?

Well, I'm not going back through the portal, ever. Unless something comes up to make me willing to age another year, and I cannot imagine what that would be.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Treebore wrote:

Well, I'm not going back through the portal, ever. Unless something comes up to make me willing to age another year, and I cannot imagine what that would be.
My understanding from Kayolan is that this is the next level of the dungeon (after the fungi level we have only partially completed). Maybe I misunderstood

So, if the portal is the only way to that level, and any further progress in the Castle Whiterock mega campaign relies on us completing this "elven" level (I have no clue if either of those is accurate) then you must either re enter the portal or quit the dungeon. I do hear the Barrier Peaks are nice this time of year ;-)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aramis wrote:
Treebore wrote:

My understanding from Kayolan is that this is the next level of the dungeon (after the fungi level we have only partially completed). Maybe I misunderstood

So, if the portal is the only way to that level, and any further progress in the Castle Whiterock mega campaign relies on us completing this "elven" level (I have no clue if either of those is accurate) then you must either re enter the portal or quit the dungeon. I do hear the Barrier Peaks are nice this time of year ;-)
There are multiple ways in and out to many levels of the dungeon, we just have to find them. So if there is a non magical way to get to this "level", then we will do it. If not, then it won't get done.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Add this to your PHBs for this game:

A PC can only be brought back to life (via resurrection, raise dead, reincarnation, or true resurrection) once per character level (multiclass PCs use their primary level).

Example: A 5th level fighter dies. He can only be brought back once. After that, if he dies he must be 6th level or higher if he hopes to ever be brought back again.

Note: conditions may arise in which a PC cannot be brought back due to lack of funds, diametrically opposed alignments of a deity, unforseen circumstances, etc.

Players have the ultimate choice of whether their PCs want to return to life or not, it cannot be forced upon them.

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Tim casted a tricky resurrection spell on ole L.S. But it worked!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

LordSeurek wrote:Tim casted a tricky resurrection spell on ole L.S. But it worked!

:o

good to see that Lord Seurek has come back to the land of the Trolls :)

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Kayolan wrote:
LordSeurek wrote:Tim casted a tricky resurrection spell on ole L.S. But it worked!

:o

good to see that Lord Seurek has come back to the land of the Trolls :)
Aye good sir. Tis great to be back :D

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Hmm. I just realized its been going 8 years since I joined this site. Slimy had me download Skype and try this system in 2007. Geeez, where did the time go.....

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

LordSeurek wrote:Hmm. I just realized its been going 8 years since I joined this site. Slimy had me download Skype and try this system in 2007. Geeez, where did the time go.....
The time has flown by... can't believe it's been over 7 years! ...and we owe it all to Slimy :P (Seriously, if it wasn't for Slimy I'm not sure I would have been here and been gaming with you guys in the first place).

BTW Rob you have an advantage to choose before game starts (8th level cleric has 3 advantages)...

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Kayolan wrote:
LordSeurek wrote:Hmm. I just realized its been going 8 years since I joined this site. Slimy had me download Skype and try this system in 2007. Geeez, where did the time go.....
The time has flown by... can't believe it's been over 7 years! ...and we owe it all to Slimy :P (Seriously, if it wasn't for Slimy I'm not sure I would have been here and been gaming with you guys in the first place).
!!! :D :D :D

It's been a blast!

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Fun session guys...

next week we will have to see who wins... the aboleth or the 21 HD water elemental...

XP updated on page 1, no level changes though some of you are getting close...