New MapTools game starting up.

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
MadCartographer
Hlobane Orc

New MapTools game starting up.

Post by MadCartographer »

I am about to start my 1st C&C game ever. It will be run in MapTools (it's free), and will have my son and some of his friends. I am very much looking forward to it but, I'm also a bit nervous.

Any advise? Besides just to enjoy the game. I will be the CK.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: New MapTools game starting up.

Post by Rigon »

Google images is a Ck's friend (especially when you don't have time to make your own maps).

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

For maptools: make sure everyone can connect to the server before game night. Otherwise, you might spend the first 2 hours of the session setting things up

Not a bad idea to have everyone's tokens premade, with macros for common dice rolls (attacks, saves etc.) already built in to each token (including the monster tokens you plan to use that session)

For C&C in general, try to keep as much of the rule stuff "under the hood" as you can, allowing your players to describe their actions narratively and then you do all the figuring on your end. For that to work, you will have to be pretty clear on how the SIEGE engine works (what modifiers to add to which end of the equation etc.) but also, when not to use the SIEGE engine. Some things should just work for the PCs. No need for rolls. But for important actions, they have to make their roll

Have fun

MadCartographer
Hlobane Orc

Thanks guys, I plan on using a lot of maps from The Cartographers Guild, great stuff there, plus, I do make my own maps.
We will be playing in my own world, Lerchanth, which I am still mapping out.

For the 1st session, the players will be in a tavern, this will let us get used to the program and test how the players will act, think etc... I plan on some type of encounter so that they will be "hired" to do something while "learning MapTools".

Maybe a fight or two to get used to some of the mechanics of the game too. Hopefully things will work out well for all.

I do plan on making sure everyone can connect before game night.
Thanks again.

MadCartographer
Hlobane Orc

Here is the Tavern I am using....
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (133.15 KiB) Viewed 5375 times

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Looks nice. I can't enlarge it, so can't really make out details.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

As for advice, if your players want to try something that sounds possible, and especially if it will make the game fun/cool, allow them to try. Even try to think of things that you can give them a bonus for, to try and increase their chances of success. Don't even tell them, or ask them specifically for ideas they will try to make the attempt easier. If its an idea that I think will catch their enemy/opponent off guard, I'll even half the CL/HD of the opponent, or if they are a low HD in the first place, give up to a +5 bonus.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

nwelte1
Lore Drake

Post by nwelte1 »

Advice regarding the map. High texture maps and lots of tokens will load slow. Have your server up early and allow the players to connect 15 minutes in advance. I have been lax on this myself, as I started using lower res maps or simply use MT to draw my maps. Even then the background image can take 5-10 to load.