View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
How many of you would like to try out 5E D&D? 
Mogrl

Post How many of you would like to try out 5E D&D?
Kayolan and I already have, but I know most of you have not. So how many of you would like to actually give it a go? If you want, I'll delay starting my Ravenloft game and run 5E for you. Heck, I can even run the new Ravenloft for 5E for you.

So are you interested enough in trying it out to delay my C&C Ravenloft campaign?

Its a good system, I think we will all have fun, and there is a lot to like about 5E. Just at the end of it all, I suspect you will still like how the SIEGE engine works better. Plus, if you don't have the books, I can help you with that via my Google Drive account. Just as usual, it will be for reading, not DLing copies.

That, or I am still very willing to run Synnibar, which will be crazy fun.

Or we can just go ahead with my Ravenloft Campaign.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:49 pm
Lore Drake

Post Re: How many of you would like to try out 5E D&D?
Sounds like the plane of Dread is even giving the DM pause :lol:

I haven't played 5E but I have the books (haven't read them though). Run what makes you excited/enthusiastic.

There seem to be many well rated modules for 5E, including one set entirely in the underdark which I have always found to be one of the more interesting/terrifying environments. Sounds like fun

My worry with 5E is it would be less fun for the DM to run. I can conceive of playing different game rules, but I don't think I would want to DM much beyond a C&C level of fiddliness.

Sounds good to me but you better decide quickly ;)

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:49 pm
Henchman

5E is a pretty solid system and believe it or not? It's incredibly easy to run as a DM. It gives a ton of freedom to the DM and while I prefer C&C, AD&D over it - it's still solid and worth checking out.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:13 pm
Lore Drake

Sounds interesting Treebore, you can count me in as a player. While I do enjoy C&C, I would like to play some more 5e, especially with a different DM this time.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:36 pm
Mogrl

Kayolan wrote:
Sounds interesting Treebore, you can count me in as a player. While I do enjoy C&C, I would like to play some more 5e, especially with a different DM this time.

Yeah, me too. The more I think about it, a lot of my negativity probably comes from how our DM handled things. I know just from reading the books that I would have ran it much differently.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:41 pm
Mogrl

Aramis wrote:
Run what makes you excited/enthusiastic.

In that case, Synnibar it is!

Or Rifts.

Or Traveller.

Or Twilight 2013.

Or Traveller 2300AD.

Or Aces and Eights.

Or Savage Worlds Deadlands.

Or Victorious.

Or Mutants and Masterminds.

IE anything non fantasy would get far more enthusiasm out of me.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:45 pm
Clang lives!

I'd be interested in it. It would be nice having a reference to compare to C&C for my friends this summer when we discuss the new system we want too use.

R-

My Game Threads

Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:56 pm
Lore Drake

Treebore wrote:
Aramis wrote:

Or Rifts.

Or Traveller.

Or Twilight 2013.

Or Traveller 2300AD.

Or Aces and Eights.

Or Victorious.

Well then, you have your answer. RPGs don't work unless the DM is enthusiastic, in my experience. The players can be hit or miss, but the DM has to be into it.

Most of the ones you list would be fun too, but I think of almost all of them as short term games (6-8 weeks affairs). Generally, I only find fantasy type games work for long term campaigns but that's just my preference.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:07 pm
Lore Drake

Treebore wrote:
Aramis wrote:

I've never played or read Synnibar but perhaps this completely professional review will explain it to me

:lol:

I'm not much of a fan of fiddly games and synnibar sounds pretty fiddly (although the flying grizzly bears with laser eyes has some merit just for the sheer verite).

But a nice space opera, weird western, supers (19th or 21st C), or 5th ed fantasy are all fine with me

Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:22 pm
Mogrl

Aramis wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Aramis wrote:

I've never played or read Synnibar but perhaps this completely professional review will explain it to me

:lol:

I'm not much of a fan of fiddly games and synnibar sounds pretty fiddly (although the flying grizzly bears with laser eyes has some merit just for the sheer verite).

But a nice space opera, weird western, supers (19th or 21st C), or 5th ed fantasy are all fine with me

I assure you that "review" is a complete piece of crap. Take it from someone who has played it and even ran a game of it for a year, its a BLAST! I even have a PDF of it in my Google Drive if you want to actually read it. Could it be written more clearly? Organized better? Absolutely. Name a game from the 80's and 90's that couldn't benefit greatly from a rewrite. Is it a fun RPG to play? Yes, or I wouldn't be recommending it. Is it more "fiddly than C&C" Yes. Is it as fiddly as say Savage Worlds, or most other RPG's on the market? Nope. On par. Especially if a rewrite and re organization was done. The charts are crowded and hard to read/use, until you figure them out, and so on, but its a good, fun game that is very different.

As for the other games, I can run most any of them as a "campaign", except maybe the Supers based ones. I'd also much prefer to run any of them over Fantasy right now. I am pretty burnt out on fantasy in terms of my creativity. I can enjoy playing it, but not running it. Not long term anyways. I need a nice long break from fantasy to rebuild my creative enthusiasm for it.

I could probably last a while with 5E, but just because its a new system with a new way of doing things. I also don't want to run modules. I am tired of running them. Thats why I am at least somewhat excited about running Ravenloft because I have created 5 great areas for that campaign, with my wife's help. So that, at least, is exciting to me.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:12 pm
Clang lives!

Tree, as much as I'd want to play 5e to test out the system, you should run whatever system you want. If the GM is not having fun, then it will be hard for the players to have fun. So, pick a system/game you want to play. We'll still play.

R-

My Game Threads

Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:21 am
Lore Drake

What Rigon said.

Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:52 am
Mogrl

Rigon wrote:
Tree, as much as I'd want to play 5e to test out the system, you should run whatever system you want. If the GM is not having fun, then it will be hard for the players to have fun. So, pick a system/game you want to play. We'll still play.

R-

Yeah, but this isn't a dictatorship. I need options I know you guys are also interested in playing.

Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:02 am
Lore Drake

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:

R-

Yeah, but this isn't a dictatorship. I need options I know you guys are also interested in playing.

Well, let's see, from your list:

Synnibar or Rifts

We just played Rifts recently so these wouldn't be a top choice

Or Traveller, Twilight 2013, Traveller 2300AD

I've never played 2300 AD but I've played Traveller a bunch of times. If people are still looking for a horror vibe, I have wondered if Cthonian Stars/Void might be a fun change up on vanilla Traveller. It Cthulhufies Traveller, by the people who did Cthulhutech. Or just straight space opera is good too but probably not a wandering spaceship style game as we have already done that a few times.

Or Aces and Eights, Savage Worlds Deadlands.

I am always up for some western gaming. Plus, I wouldn't mind trying a Savage Worlds game at some point just to see how the system works (hope it's not too fiddly! :lol: ).

Or Victorious Or Mutants and Masterminds.

Played both of these. They are both fun but more of a short term thing. Which is fine if you remember an 8 week game fortnightly still means we will be playing it for 4-5 months (with skipped weeks etc)

Of all of these I would probably go for a short stint of Victorious followed by a longer run through either the weird west or the even weirder lovecraftian void

Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:29 am
Mogrl

Aramis wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:

R-

Well, let's see, from your list:

Synnibar or Rifts

We just played Rifts recently so these wouldn't be a top choice

Or Traveller, Twilight 2013, Traveller 2300AD

I've never played 2300 AD but I've played Traveller a bunch of times. If people are still looking for a horror vibe, I have wondered if Cthonian Stars/Void might be a fun change up on vanilla Traveller. It Cthulhufies Traveller, by the people who did Cthulhutech. Or just straight space opera is good too but probably not a wandering spaceship style game as we have already done that a few times.

Or Aces and Eights, Savage Worlds Deadlands.

I am always up for some western gaming. Plus, I wouldn't mind trying a Savage Worlds game at some point just to see how the system works (hope it's not too fiddly! :lol: ).

Or Victorious Or Mutants and Masterminds.

Played both of these. They are both fun but more of a short term thing. Which is fine if you remember an 8 week game fortnightly still means we will be playing it for 4-5 months (with skipped weeks etc)

Of all of these I would probably go for a short stint of Victorious followed by a longer run through either the weird west or the even weirder lovecraftian void

The Monday group didn't do Rifts, that was the Tuesday group. I also own Cthonian Stars/Void, and I even played in play tests with Matt running them when we still had a Convention up in Vegas.

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:09 am
Clang lives!

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:

R-

In that case, my first choice would be 5e, 2nd choice Victorious, 3rd Traveller, 4th Savage Worlds. After that I don't know enough about the other systems for it to make a difference what we choose. I'll just play and have fun.

My only thing is that I am becoming less and less satisfied with fiddly systems.

R-

My Game Threads

Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:27 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Rigon wrote:

As to "party needs," play the character you want to play. You'll have more fun that way.

R-

I quote that because if it is true for a player it is equally true for the DM!

For my personal preference, I have no burning desire to try 5e. However, that doesn't mean I'd not play it if it is the flavor choice of you all. I want to play a fun game with friends regardless of the rules being used. Heck, we have see it in LA, fun despite working through a rule system that none of us are experts at.

Treebore wrote:
Aramis wrote:

Or Rifts.

Or Traveller.

Or Twilight 2013.

Or Traveller 2300AD.

Or Aces and Eights.

Or Victorious.

All of those sound good to me ...

Victorious (after reading Rhu's Friday night game prep) sounds good, esp if it leans towards the horror elements a bit. But even a Victorian hero's game would be fun.

Traveler is a game I never played, but would like to. Twilight 2013 never played, but I loved the old twilight 2000,

Rifts was fun back in the day (except for the clunky rules).

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:35 pm
Lore Drake

Rigon wrote:

My only thing is that I am becoming less and less satisfied with fiddly systems.

R-

Preach it, brother! Preach it! :D

Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:43 pm
Mogrl

I think its pretty clear I prefer non fiddly systems, with C&C and Traveller being my most favorite RPG's, but some "fiddling" can be worth it. Hence why I like other systems.

Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:58 pm
Lore Drake

I'd say the least fiddly game you got on this list is Traveller or maybe Victorious, since it's a SIEGE engineā„¢ game. 5e isn't too fiddly IMO, but there will be some rules searching perhaps, though that's to be expected with a new system you're running. Fiddly to me is a big word and it brings to mind games like Shadowrun, in which the fiddly is so over-the-top that you actually can spend enough time on it to earn a degree in running the system (I still remember the time I played it and had to wait for a whole hour during a combat until it was my turn again).

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:11 pm
Lore Drake

Perhaps a voting poll could be set up in which we, including the GM, can vote for more than one choice if desired, then whatever game gets the most votes would be the one we play? I don't know, but it seems like that would at least relieve the impasse.

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:16 pm
Clang lives!

I would not be opposed to a poll. Then we would have a clearer view of what everyone wants.

R-

My Game Threads

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:49 pm
Lore Drake

Rigon wrote:
I would not be opposed to a poll. Then we would have a clearer view of what everyone wants.

R-

What we need is a poll about whether or not to have a poll.

Should we have a poll to decide our next game?:

1. Yes!

2. Hell No!

3. I'm not sure !

4. I like pie

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:57 pm
Lore Drake

From the responses we have so far, it is looking like a lot of like for Victorious, followed by Traveller (with perhaps a soupcon of Cthulhu)

Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:00 pm
Lore Drake

It would just be a simple matter of Treebore creating a poll thread here, and he has the ultimate choice of what games will be on that poll, then we vote on the games we would like to play. Personally, I'd like to see it, why not make it simple? Either Treebore decides on a game for us (which I'm ok with actually), or we have a long thread of going back and forth on different games without coming to a consensus. A poll solves the problem of going with the latter method. It most likely gives Treebore more time to prepare a game if he knows what that game is.

Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:35 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Kayolan wrote:

..), or we have a long thread of going back and forth on different games without coming to a consensus. A poll solves the problem of going with the latter method. It most likely gives Treebore more time to prepare a game if he knows what that game is.

Why have a poll, isn't that the core of our forum, going back and forth, and not getting any where .... That is the heart of communication here in troll ville ! :lol:

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:21 am
Mogrl

My 5E Curse of Strahd has arrived!

Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:57 pm
Lore Drake

Treebore wrote:

Cool, what's it like?

Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:58 pm
Mogrl

Kayolan wrote:
Treebore wrote:

Cool, what's it like?

For the most part it is like the original I6 Ravenloft. Of course the maps look far better, but that is to be expected. It has new encounters, but it is mostly the same as the original. If people want, I cna be talked into running this on a different day, such as Thursday, or Saturday, or Sundays during Nwelte's time slot on days he doesn't run it, which is most Sundays.

Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:01 pm
Lore Drake

Treebore wrote:
Kayolan wrote:
Treebore wrote:

Cool, what's it like?

For the most part it is like the original I6 Ravenloft. Of course the maps look far better, but that is to be expected. It has new encounters, but it is mostly the same as the original. If people want, I cna be talked into running this on a different day, such as Thursday, or Saturday, or Sundays during Nwelte's time slot on days he doesn't run it, which is most Sundays.

Well at the very least this has to be run as a Halloween season game.

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]