Aergraith's Sunday C&C: "Heroes and Scoundrels of Xylh"

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Aergraith's Sunday C&C: "Heroes and Scoundrels of Xylh"

Post by alcyone »

17-19 Hekatombaion
Running XP Total: 630 each.

The party spends the night at Zumbido's home, and in the morning she makes them all breakfast tacos. The group has an encounter in the marketplace; a rich-looking foreign woman makes a mark of herself, not haggling, and looking like she has a lot of money to spend and not a lot of common sense, so some young people try to take advantage of her. The group intervenes, but their intervention isn't welcomed: the woman is taken in by the youths putting on an act of crying and acting afraid of the party, and tells the good samaritans to mind their own business. A lesson learned about How Xylh Is. Aziz probably knows these youths and that it's how they survive.

At the Temple of Law, Ghizzard pays the party 250gp each for their service for the previous night. He asks the party if they are willing to follow up on the lead they were given, but that it would be dangerous. They try to bargain with him, but 1250gp for the party for the job is as high as he will go. He does agree to provide camels, food, and basic equipment. They ask if he will give them a pigeon to communicate, but because they will be undercover, this is ultimately discarded as a bad idea.

Zumbido visits Masmud the Astrologer in the Library observatory, and he tells her more about the strange alignment of the stars and how it was breaking down the boundaries between worlds. She then visits Boz in the rare books section, and he provides her with books about how illusion magic works.

Then, Omad goes to worship at the pantheon, and is able to pay respect to his as yet unnamed god.

The party sets out for the meeting place in the desert, where they meet Mazram, a scimitar wielding fighter. He establishes their credentials with a password which they have from Abazza. He questions them but doesn't give much away, acting as though he assumed Abazza has filled them in. After a time, two more come to the meeting place, Vana and Vayin, a pair of red-cloaked foreigners who speak strangely. Vana is an assassin and Vayin is a cleric of a god he prefers not to name. Lissett determines they are evil. They accuse them of this, and they don't deny it. Lissett says she has a problem with this, and Mazram warns them of the laws of desert hospitality and that if the party harms guests around his fire he will defend them.

Zumbido attempts to charm Vayin. She tests the charm and it's unclear if it worked, but she feels as though it did not. In any case, the party made it through the night.

They set out immediately for the coast, where they leave the camels behind, and are brought aboard a Hai-Gekk pirate vessel, a very strange thing to find in Xylh waters. They raise the pirate flag only briefly and otherwise fly the Xylh flag. This had to be a dangerous journey to pick up a few volunteers. Of the 12 that came out on the 2 boats to bring them aboard, 7 detected as evil. Aboard the ship, many of the pirates are evil.

Aboard a pirate ship filled with evil people, in the Apsallian Sound, patrolled heavily by Xylh boats, with an evil assassin and cleric and a fighter who tolerates them, off to the stronghold of a leader they know nothing about, who works with pirates and other undesirables, undercover with a Paladin who has to fight to control her need to eradicate them all, to discover what is going and report back to the authorities at Xylh.

A good session!
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

More than good, it was great!

And thanks for writing up the journal . . . poor paladin surrounded by evil. What's next ~ an anti-paladin?? :?

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Rhuvein wrote:More than good, it was great!

And thanks for writing up the journal . . . poor paladin surrounded by evil. What's next ~ an anti-paladin?? :?

Some food for thought:
  • The paladin in my campaign is the same as written in the PHB, even though (or maybe even better because) the world tends toward neutral and evil.
  • Lissett worships Tius. Xylh's gods are not the gods of Earth, but there is still a parallel to the Scandinavian Tyr. Tyr is a great example of a god that is silent during his companions' deceit if it means that law and good are preserved, when he sacrifices his arm to Fenrir, convincing the wolf that Gleipnir was likely harmless.
  • Joining a band of people partly composed of those absolutely known to be evil in order to find out more about them is one thing, and not to be taken lightly, but if they then commit evil acts, it would be unconscionable to stand by and allow it.
Still, a paladin's vow is based on unshakeable conviction, or unshakeable faith even when all events show the futility of such a vow, and even a god's forgiveness is nothing to a paladin who has failed in his or her own heart.

Lest someone bring up the term "Lawful Stupid", it's never expected that the Paladin rush headlong into evil like a crazed barbarian, mindless of the odds and discarding tactics and experience. Still, justice must be swift!

Interesting! Can't wait to see what happens.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Well said, I too look forward to the next session!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Rhuvein wrote:Well said, I too look forward to the next session!
We are not powerless though. Unlike in a module we don't have to follow this path if it is a poor fit. We can go anywhere we want. If your paladin is in danger of losing her faith we still have time to act. We could return with the info we have obtained. Or, we could attempt to take over control of the ship and take it with contents and people to the authorities. I am sure there are other possibilities.

I will follow your lead on this.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Roleplay it as you see fit. Omad is also good, and would back a good man and friend's play, even an ill-advised one.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

New character to add to party =)

nyi ma, human barbarian, 22 years old
Not happy with the pirate life. Signed on to travel the world but the ship never goes anywhere -- just circles the harbour.

Strength 16 (prime)
Dexterity 15 (prime)
Constitution 13 (prime)
Intelligence 11
Wisdom 12
Charisma 12

HP 11
Weapons: bearded axe, short bow, quiver 20 arrows
armor: leather
AC 13
4 gold

Equipment:
backpack, canteen, bedroll

Wearing:
soft boots, trousers, tunic
Attachments
nima.jpg
nima.jpg (48.96 KiB) Viewed 19261 times

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

See you at 7pm CST.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Barbarian . . . YES! Should be a good addition to the party.

See y'all at 7!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

The party row to the pirate ship, and they quickly find out how to make themselves useful. Those who can tie knots are put on the sails (and now get a +1 bonus to any sailing checks for the experience they gained that day). Those who could not pass their dexterity check were put on the oars. Under sail and oar the vessel made very good time and crossed the sound in a day.

​The party rowed ashore, and were accompanied by two good-natured pirates, Amezhwar and Aghilas. Though there were some minor storms, there were plenty of provisions and these were supplemented by hunting. They also found a strange crater with a slimy potter's wheel (thanks wilderlands Ruins and Relics table!) In 3 days the party was within 12 miles of their destination. That night, however, their suspicious companion Vayin switched watches with Omad, leaving Vayin alone with Aghilas.

​At the end of his watch, Vayin woke up those in the next watch, including Lisset, Amezhwar, and Omad. He nonchalantly told them that Aghilas had excused himself to relieve himself and didn't return. He said he went to see what happened, and that Aghilas was nearly entirely devoured. He supposed it was probably hyenas and sat down to eat an early breakfast.

​They bury Aghilas, and are of course very suspicious of Vayin and Vana, even smelling Vayin's breath to see if there is a smell of blood. They also use whatever skills they had to see if they hyena attack was plausible. Indeed, it was: there were hyena tracks. But they didn't come from the open desert. There were human footprints but by then many had walked there, even Vayin by his own story.

​They decided to press on. They arrived at Habi-ga-charu's camp at night, where they were introduced to the head of the guard, Agwectim. He made Omad fight one of his men, and Omad was defeated, but was brought back by a cleric. Agwectim told him he didn't have the patience to train them that night, but to come back and the morning.

​They took lodging in the circle of large tents at the camp, and underwent training for 2 hours in the morning, and Omad this time readily defeated his foe. They were then relieved by a cleric, who was told by Amezhwar what had happened, and had the party and Vayin and Vana come with them back to the campsite where the death occurred.

​Upon arriving the cleric Spoke with Dead, and found it was Vayin that killed him. He stood by and allowed the party to exact justice. After Zumbido blinded Vayin with Color Spray, Omad charged him, and Gryll swooped down to attack him. He fell dead, and transformed into a hideous (but still dead) ghul, and Lisset turned to fight Vana. Wounded, she surrenders and makes a bargain for her life, saying that the Ghul King will grant the party a boon when they most need it. Lisset sets the ghul free.

​The party then returned to the complex of Habi-ga-charu, which was larger than the party might have imagined, with a great stepped pyramid, many tents, an oasis, and a small ruined town, not to mention dozens of soldiers training. The party also has learned that Habi-ga-charu has been paying the Hai-Gekk pirates. One reason was to convey recruits to his compound, though there may be other reasons.

The barbarian did not join tonight and was last seen aboard the pirate vessel.

Vayin was carrying quite a bit of treasure:
Gems: moonstone worth 25 gp, bloodstone worth 50 gp, 2 common opals worth 100 gp, whiteish moonstone worth 100 gp, amethyst worth 250 gp, peridot worth 250 gp
Magic Items: Protection from Alignment* (potion) (exp: 100)

375xp each.

Running total: 1005xp each.

Reading Recommendations:
- The Mark of the Demons by John Jakes (Brak the Barbarian)
- Vathek by William Thomas Beckford: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Vathek
- The Ghoul by Clark Ashton Smith: http://eldritchdark.com/writings/short- ... /the-ghoul
- The Charnel God by Clark Ashton Smith: http://eldritchdark.com/writings/short- ... harnel-god

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Another cool session and thanks for the write-up/notes for the game.

I've got to read those short stories this week!!!

:)

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Back to the fortress of Habi-ga-charu! What are they up to?

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I'll be there . . need a break from baseball!

:D

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

I'm in

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Rhuvein wrote:I'll be there . . need a break from baseball!

Really? But the Cubs ...

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny-Whistle wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:I'll be there . . need a break from baseball!

Really? But the Cubs ...
Heh, yeah. If the Cubs were in a position to win the WS (rather than the other way around), then I'd watch.

Game on!

8-)

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

In the morning, the group is taken to sign contracts with Habi-ga-charu's army, for 3 gp per month pay. If they do not sign, they are free to leave, but their hands and tongues will remain with Habi-ga-charu. The group decide to sign this binding contract, even the lawful ones, though under duress, reasoning they are undercover and doing a job for a lawful organization.

They are given mundane equipment and put on their first patrol with 5 men-at-arms and a cleric of Anfu. Their patrol begins uneventfully, with one of the men-at-arms stumbling into a nest of vipers but coming out of it with only a minor bite.

The next day they are approached by a storyteller, Noureddin, who will tell them a story in exchange for food and water. Though they detect that he is evil, they show him hospitality anyway. He tells them a story of a very evil vampire who was banished to a castle in another plane. While listening to they became entranced and were hurled into a vortex.

They emerged in a grey world with strange plants, and no sun or moon or stars, and covered in mist. They find a gnome inn where they can have robber steak and paprika hendl, and there are delivered a strange letter saying the daughter of the mayor of Burrowvia has taken ill. They proceed to Burrowvia, where they find the daughter and her brother, who does not know who sent the missive. Lisset cures diseases on the girl, and they visit the cleric and then the Hole in the Ground inn, where they recruit several gnome villagers to storm the castle with them.

They come to a tower made of bones, and open the door. Inside they find several skeletons in a very large entrance chamber. While fighting these, they open the wrong door and also end up fighting a Sumatran Ghoul Rat and several zombies. During the battle several men-at-arms fall but the cleric stops their bleeding.

They have retreated to the room where the found the zombies and have decided to rest there.

55xp each

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Thanks for the spooky adventure everyone =)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny-Whistle wrote:Thanks for the spooky adventure everyone =)
Yes, agree and my thanks as well.

Great Ravenloft/Halloween action.

Well done Aergraith and y'all!!

[And now that we're in the Castle - we need to survive . . . and live!!!]

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Ayo, how is everyone? We on tonight?

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Most likely barring natural disaster or mass alien abductions.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Just got a call from Aergraith. He asks if it is ok if we start 15 minutes late ...

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

No problemo, fine by me!

See ya in a half hour . . . :mrgreen:

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

2nd day on the Other Side:

Party heals and moves on, and find a room with a painting of 3 goblin raiders smiling before a cart full of loot. They move on and find a spiral staircase to the next level.

Upon exploring, they are confronted with a very strange goblinoid creature with sabre teeth, like a smilodon. It babbles in incoherent goblin. It is wearing an iron cross similar to one from the painting. Half the party are extraordinarily frightened and flee at once. Omad is courageous enough to withstand the fear aura, and shoots it with his bow, as does Triss who is further back near the stairs. He sends Gryll to attack. An arrow in it and a scratched face, the cackling creature points a wand at itself and disappears, as does the fear aura and aura of evil. Zumbido recalls some information about these very rare goblin vampires and relates them to the group.

Moving forward they take the stairway continuing up. Here there are halls and rooms. They explore a few, and find mostly bedrooms, including a casket filled with dirt and a teddy bear which Zumbido steals and names "Runcible". They also detect evil under a bed and light it on fire, forcing the Sumatran Ghoul Rat to scurry out and attack a hireling. They quickly kill the creature.

Other notable areas are a balcony overlooking the entrance to the tower, and a room full of dessicated spider corpses. The level, they think, is about half explored judging from the outside of the structure.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Great gaming session, thanks to all!

[Sorry, I faded quickly and had to log off and go to sleep!]

:)

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Will people be available to play on Sunday?

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny-Whistle wrote:Will people be available to play on Sunday?
I will be available!!

:ugeek:

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

I will be available

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Sorry for the late response this is a VERY busy time at work

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

On the way gang