Golden Heroes/Squadron UK - gauging interest...

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Gringnr
Ulthal

Golden Heroes/Squadron UK - gauging interest...

Post by Gringnr »

I recently posted a writeup about a classic superhero RPG called Golden Heroes, here:

https://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewto ... 16&t=16734

I'd like to see if, in the future (I have no concrete plans, just feeling everyone out here), anyone would be interested in playing a well-regarded old-school supers game. The thread linked above has a pretty good overview of the game, so I won't bother re-hashing it here.

As I said, I'm just trying to gauge interest. If it turns out there is interest, I will, at some point in the future, set aside time for a weekly or bi-weekly game using Roll20.

Reasons why you might want to play:

- It's "old school". And, as we all know, that's the newest trend in role playing!

- It's obscure. Think of the nerd cred!

- You like comics/supers. GH/SqUK is designed, first and foremost, to emulate the action and armosphere of comics.

- I would probably run one of the shorter adventures for GH from White Dwarf magazine, so it won't be a long commitment. More of a "getting to know you" type of thing, lasting two or (at most) three sessions.

- It's innovative and unique. This is a very unique system, unlike any I've seen. Certain aspects of GH/SqUK would be innovative even by today's standards.

Reasons why you might not want to play:

- It's random! All random, all the way down. Stats, number and type of powers, everything. There are some ways you can influence chargen, but it's still mostly random. No min-maxing here, just the fickle finger of fate!

- It's idiosyncratic. The game is old. That means no unified mechanic, different dice for different types of action, and an at times inelegant system. Gotta take the bad with the good.

- The power level is "mid". No Galactus level heroes. Most of, say, the X-Men would be quite attainable. You might have to roll pretty well to get a Superman, but it is theoretically possible.

Like I said, just gauging interest at this point.

I could use either the original Golden Heroes or Squadron UK 1st Edition (an updated version of GH), or the newest edition of SqUK. I would probably gravitate towards the originals, because there is far more adventure material available for them (I'm not smart or ambitious enough to run sandboxes).

I would consider running 2nd edition (I have it), if it would help Simon Burley sell a few copies, though. After what he's been through with Games Workshop (see the thread linked above for an explanation), he deserves a few bucks. I bought all of the 2nd Edition material, wven though I prefer 1st, for that reason.

So, if anyone might be interested in playing an obscure, old-school supers rpg at some point in the future, lemme know.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Golden Heroes/Squadron UK - gauging interest...

Post by Tadhg »

I might be interested . . still reading and checking it out.

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Interested, just comes down to day and time, and my availability.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Jj
Rhuvein wrote:I might be interested . . still reading and checking it out.

I would love to see your take on supers...

Treebore wrote:Interested, just comes down to day and time, and my availability.

Nothing is written in stone yet, but the most likely time for me to be able to do it as of this writing would be Tuesday or Wednesday, day or evening wouldn't really matter. I may not have time to consider it for several weeks, in any event.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Gringnr wrote:Jj

Treebore wrote:Interested, just comes down to day and time, and my availability.

Nothing is written in stone yet, but the most likely time for me to be able to do it as of this writing would be Tuesday or Wednesday, day or evening wouldn't really matter. I may not have time to consider it for several weeks, in any event.

Of those two I could make Wednesday Evening work. Any idea on how many weeks you would run it? I can be available after 6 PM PST.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Treebore wrote:

Of those two I could make Wednesday Evening work. Any idea on how many weeks you would run it? I can be available after 6 PM PST.

Well, I might initially run a shorter adventure from White Dwarf magazine. That way it's not too much of a commitment (a couple of sessions), and it would also allow people to decide whether or not they like it, or would be interested in plating it further. That was what I was thinking, anyway.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Not a fan for the most part of supers - but, I still want to give it a look and see how "super" the game is.

;)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Me too, especially since I've got 3 games I'm running/playing in right now that are face to face.

If I did this, I'd prefer the original Golden Heroes. Not to bash on Squadron UK, but if we're going to give this a whirl we should do it in the true "Old School" fashion. Besides, then we can pick up the new SQUK and know what was changed. ;)

GM Michael, who's rapidly losing his time to write!
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

DMMike wrote:
Me too, especially since I've got 3 games I'm running/playing in right now that are face to face.

If I did this, I'd prefer the original Golden Heroes. Not to bash on Squadron UK, but if we're going to give this a whirl we should do it in the true "Old School" fashion. Besides, then we can pick up the new SQUK and know what was changed. ;)

GM Michael, who's rapidly losing his time to write!
I, too, prefer the original Golden Heroes game to the 2nd Edition of SqUK. But, to be clear, 1st Edition SqUK was basically just a reskinned GH- which is why Games Workshop sent Simon Burley a nastygram.

But, I'm with you. Keep it true old school. I like the cut of your jib...

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Gringnr wrote:
Treebore wrote:

Well, I might initially run a shorter adventure from White Dwarf magazine. That way it's not too much of a commitment (a couple of sessions), and it would also allow people to decide whether or not they like it, or would be interested in plating it further. That was what I was thinking, anyway.
Sounds perfect.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:Nothing is written in stone yet, but the most likely time for me to be able to do it as of this writing would be Tuesday or Wednesday, day or evening wouldn't really matter. I may not have time to consider it for several weeks, in any event.
Hey Gring.

Following up on this discussion . . I'm in Penny's Weds XBarrierPeaks game, so that day won't work for me.

[But if you are now free on Weds, perhaps you might be interested in joining us on that eve]

So sorry . . and I think Tree has a game on Tues eve.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Rhuvein wrote:
Gringnr wrote:Nothing is written in stone yet, but the most likely time for me to be able to do it as of this writing would be Tuesday or Wednesday, day or evening wouldn't really matter. I may not have time to consider it for several weeks, in any event.
Hey Gring.

Following up on this discussion . . I'm in Penny's Weds XBarrierPeaks game, so that day won't work for me.

[But if you are now free on Weds, perhaps you might be interested in joining us on that eve]

So sorry . . and I think Tree has a game on Tues eve.

Well, this won't be for a while yet. I'm just gauging interest because atm I don't have any time during the week, either. But I do see some stuff opening up in the future. Couple of months, or thereabouts. So, who knows what may have changed by then.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Well, Just as an FYI, I do not have a copy of the rules. So when it comes time, I will need to be taught, or given access to a PDF to read via Google Drive, Dropbox, etc...

IF the day works out for you, I know a group on Thursdays that could play. We formed that group soley to play RPG's we don't normally get to play. Such as Golden Heroes...

Rhu is correct, I already play in a group on Tuesdays, as well as Monday and Thursdays, and on Sundays. My only real open day is Wednesday. Since this is months away, who knows, maybe things will change for me too.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

If and when this happens, there are a few things people should know before getting into one of my games:

- It will be set during the 1980s. Why? A couple of reasons. First, that's when the game was written, and that's when the comics it was designed to emulate were written. I generally try to keep games "era appropriate". It's easier for me to run the material as written that way. It also avoids exchanges such as, "I know! I'll contact my source at the police department telepathica-", "Nah, dude, I already hit him up on Viber". Also, the comics have changed. And, to be frank, I really don't like new comics as much. I don't like the slick, homogenous art, or the computer separated colors. I don't like the odorless paper (ah, that old comic smell). I don't like the plots or characters as much (part of that is simply the lens of nostalgia, I get it). I know we're getting into "old man yells at cloud" territory here, but that's just how I roll. Also, I love(d) the 80s. I fetishize the 80s. I would set every game in the 80s if I could. If you didn't come of age in the 80s/ I feel bad for you son/ I got 99 problems/ but being a millennial ain't one.

- There will be perma-death. Or at least the possibility. Of course, as with many RPGs, death may or may not actually be permanent. But if you get killed, there is a good chance you will stay killed. Notice I said chance (also notice I said good lol). When the character of Jean Grey was brought back to life in X-Factor, after being dead for 6 years, I felt ripped off. Yeah, I was a kid, but that really undercut one of the heaviest and most serious pieces of juvenile drama that my young mind had ever read. It was like in Dallas when the entire season of Bobby being dead was a dream. It felt cheap. I get that this is comics and not high art, necessarily, but still. I would encourage any potential players to have a few characters ready at the start of any adventure. This shouldn't be hard, rolling characters is one of the most fun aspects of the game.

- My main comic-related inspirations are primarily heroes from smaller 80s imprints (i.e., not Marvel or DC, even though I like their comics). Titles like Miracleman, DNAgents, The Liberty Project and The New Wave from Eclipse Comics. Titles from First Comics, such as Badger, or Nexus. And, perhaps more accessibly, pretty much the entire Chris Clairemont-written runs of The Uncanny X-Men, and Alpha Flight, as well as most of the late 70s/80s run of DC's Legion of Super Heroes. There are others that fit the mold, many others, but these are likely to be my main inspiration for any supers games I would run.

Just throwing this all out there. Of course, you can have zero familiarity with comics and play this game, it's not like there's gonna be a trivia contest (but it would be great if a password hint on the computer controlling Dr. Crime's Doomsday Device(tm) was "First appearance of Wolverine:_______________").

Also:
Treebore wrote:Well, Just as an FYI, I do not have a copy of the rules. So when it comes time, I will need to be taught, or given access to a PDF to read via Google Drive, Dropbox, etc...

IF the day works out for you, I know a group on Thursdays that could play. We formed that group soley to play RPG's we don't normally get to play. Such as Golden Heroes...

Rhu is correct, I already play in a group on Tuesdays, as well as Monday and Thursdays, and on Sundays. My only real open day is Wednesday. Since this is months away, who knows, maybe things will change for me too.
....I always work Thursday evenings bruh.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

- I love the 80s myself, and I’d be the last person to grouse about era-specific supers games. <G> I too remember that X-factor moment; I’ve probably got the comic around somewhere. Wasn’t it just crap that she ‘lost her telepathy’ so Scott couldn’t mindlink with her and thus be ‘reassured’ its really her? :P

-Re: CharGen; will we roll up at home or on roll-20?

- Badger? You got it, Larry! J

- BITD I gave up reading X-men after issue 200; right after Chris C. left the mag. Most of my non-Marvel reads were Comico’s Elementals and Justice Machine; just FYI.
-
GM Michael, another 80s fan.

PS: Have you read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline? Its the goto book for 80s fans!

https://www.amazon.com/Ready-Player-One ... 0307887448

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

DMMike wrote:- I love the 80s myself, and I’d be the last person to grouse about era-specific supers games. <G> I too remember that X-factor moment; I’ve probably got the comic around somewhere. Wasn’t it just crap that she ‘lost her telepathy’ so Scott couldn’t mindlink with her and thus be ‘reassured’ its really her? :P
Yeah, and this is also around the time that Cyclops started acting like a HUUUUUUGGE jerkass. It was a bad time for everyone.

DMMike wrote:-Re: CharGen; will we roll up at home or on roll-20?
Either way. Rolling characters would likely be an entire session in and of itself, not that I'd necessarily mind. Group concensus.

DMMike wrote:- Badger? You got it, Larry! J

DMMike wrote:- BITD I gave up reading X-men after issue 200; right after Chris C. left the mag. Most of my non-Marvel reads were Comico’s Elementals and Justice Machine; just FYI.
Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of the type of book I'd be trying to emulate. There was something... different about that small(ish) press stuff.

DMMike wrote:PS: Have you read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline? Its the goto book for 80s fans!

https://www.amazon.com/Ready-Player-One ... 0307887448
Nah, it's on my Kindle, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll deffo have to give it a look now!

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Also, when I list my inspirations, this doesn't mean that I would be trying to skew play into any particular style.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

<nod> Just what we can expect the NPCs and 'world' to have going on. I tried to give some sort of similar format to Victorious with the 'chronicle alignment' system. Its nice to know what to expect ahead of time. ;)

GM Mike

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

OK, I seem to have (hopefully) made a sizeable dent in my current workload. Still interested in running this. I have read the Players Book, and plan to devote the next several weeks to learning the mechanics of this game backward and forward. And reading comic books. Lots and lots of comic books. No timetable yet, just throwing this out there. For any of you who have access to the material, have you made any characters yet? I have been doing so, and as I said, it's a hoot. My latest heroes are Steel Spectre (can become insubstantial, has super strength and armor), Ion (various energy powers), Petaurus (animal senses, martial arts and flight)and The Prime Enigma (a weird set of powers that make absolutely no sense together whatsoever - and a background of "position of power", which I decided meant "leader of a cult- er, small religious sect"). Good times. I'll keep ya posted, true believers!

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Ah, the joy of random power generation. ;) I'll probably start making a character after NTXRPGC in early June. I'm committed (or should be!) to running Victorious at the con, so most of my efforts will be preping for that game. Oh, and the podcast. :)

Mike

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Combat is starting to make sense now. Or, I should say that I am starting to understand how it works. It is definitely intended to mimic comic book action, so saying that it "makes sense" may not be entirely accurate. 13-point checklist for each combat round, jeez. Initiative at the start of every round. And on top of that, there are several special attack types: grapple, pick up, throw, etc.

Perhaps a little ahead of its time in one department, the game basically suggests attribute checks (roll under, I think) or even "attack rolls" for anything not explicitly covered by any other rules.

Looking forward to this! Still no timetable! Sue me!

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

DMMike wrote:Ah, the joy of random power generation. ;) I'll probably start making a character after NTXRPGC in early June. I'm committed (or should be!) to running Victorious at the con, so most of my efforts will be preping for that game. Oh, and the podcast. :)

Mike
You may notice that there is no number 49 on the superpower generation table. I plan on giving that the same function as 96-100, which is player's choice (choose any power, upgrade any eligible power or roll again).

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Here is a fun and free tool you can use to generate full color pictures of your very own superhero! I find it useful for generating character portraits.

http://www.heromachine.com/heromachine-3-lab/

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Haven't posted in this thread in a while. Still planning to run this. I have been dealing with matters legal, familial, even recreational (all good stuff). My schedule has slowed a bit, and hopefully that will translate into sufficient time to pull this off. I have read the rules through a few times, but with long stretches between. I plan on dedicating more, and more consistent time to this, and will hopefully be ready to go soonish. My wife is 12 weeks pregnant, and if I don't pull this off in the next few months, it's probably not gonna happen for a very long time, if at all.

Overall, the game is a tad bit crunchier than I am used to running. I'll get it, though, I'm sure. The basic flow of combat is easy enough, but some of the grappling/unarmed combat rules seem fiddly and counterintuitive. If necessary, I can always overcome that with some mechanics from the venerable, trusty and time-honored H&H (Handwaves & Houserules) gaming system, right? I'll try to keep it as faithful as possible, though.

I have an adventure picked out. It's a bit longer than what I had originally intended, being an actual published module rather than a White Dwarf mini-module. But once I saw it, I knew that it was the one. It's a neat adventure with a cool history. I will be adapting it from another game. It looks like a lot of fun, and presents a very interesting (and perhaps uncomfortable) moral dilemma. The module is from the 80s, but that's all I'm gonna say about it. Anyway, I hope to return to this, and with increasing frequency of updates. Stay tuned, true believers!

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

<nod> This time of year is usually busy for all concerned. I'm teaching summer sessions at the college and that takes a lot more time being so condensed.

I look forward to the game, whenever it happens. You might say that "H&H" is as old school as you can get; since that was what we did in the 1980s! The recent trend of OSR types for rigid adherence to a game is actually against the OS play style. Hell, BITD we didn't even pay much attention to the differences between B/Ex D&D and AD&D....we just used what we liked. ;)

Which is a roundabout way of saying I won't be disappointed if you hand wave some stuff.

Mike

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

So, for this game I will be using the Golden Heroes rules, as presented in the Player's Book and the Supervisor' s Book. There is an article from White Dwarf Magazine, "Alternative Origins". It allows for the slightly more guided creation of Batman or Iron Man type heroes, and also offers a somewhat revamped skill system. Since it is from the time period of the publication of GH, and from White Dwarf, I will be considering it "canon" for the purposes of this game, and will make it available for my players to use, should they wish. I will likewise be allowing the use of another WD article, "A Web in the Dark". It details darkness control and web-slinging, two powers not covered in GH. And it was written by game creator Simon Burley. Just want to give everyone the full breadth of material available for the original GH. I will make available what is needed. Also noticeably absent from GH were powers of elasticity. Not sure what to do about that, or if anyone will care. I could adapt the elasticity rules from Codename: Spandex (a free GH retroclone by the author of Dark Dungeons), and I may allow that. But, I don't want to stray from pure strain 1st edition GH.

Further updates to come, still no timeframe.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Do you have the numbers for those WD issues? I've got the WD CD ROM but don't want to dig through issue after issue. ;)

Mike

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

DMMike wrote:Do you have the numbers for those WD issues? I've got the WD CD ROM but don't want to dig through issue after issue. ;)

Mike
74 (Alternative Origins) and 66 (A Web in the Dark).

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Oh, and even though I don't want to stray from GH, I will be adopting the terms "panels" and "pages" from Codename: Spandex. It sounds better than "frames" and rounds", and fits the game better, IMO. A minor point, but I like it. So, each character gets 4 "panels", or action slots, per "page". And once every character has exhausted their "panels", the "page", or round, is over, and a new "page" begins, in which characters can again use their "panels".

Codename: Spandex is available all over the net for free. Because it's a retroclone, it differs from GH in certain respects.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Gotta love the old school games. Most attacks in GH are resolved using a matrix that cross references the defender's "Defence Class" against the attacker's "Weapon Class", then rolling the appropriate number or higher on a d20 (with penalties/modifiers). In true old school fashion, Defence Class is ascending, and Weapon Class is ascending.