C&C Fantasy Grounds

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
ryguysolis
Mist Elf

C&C Fantasy Grounds

Post by ryguysolis »

I know everybody here likes to roll with Open RPG and Skype, but I'm thinking of picking up a copy of Fantasy Grounds because of the sheer beauty of the program and interface. If anybody here would like to play I am thinking of getting one of the package deals which would keep the cost down for everyone.

I'm still getting a set of adventures put together, so probably wouldn't be doing this until around the first of the year, I'm just testing the waters of the community with the idea. Come on and put that money you're saving on splat books to good use!
Post here or PM me if interested, there's plenty of time to work out dates, time slots, and so forth.

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

I'll be picking up a full copy sometime after the holidays.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I intend on getting it as soon as I can after the Christmas season.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

ryguysolis
Mist Elf

Post by ryguysolis »

Any interest in bundling the downloads to save? I guess I need to look into whether they offer the bundle savings for multiple copies of the full version.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

ryguysolis wrote:
Any interest in bundling the downloads to save? I guess I need to look into whether they offer the bundle savings for multiple copies of the full version.

They do, but when I buy into it I'll need it not only for myself but at the very least my 3 kids, and likely my wife as well.

Another problem is everything seems to indicate a limit of 5 being able to play together, and my Monday night group has 8. So until I see it saying in writing it can handle up to 8 or 9 people I won't be sure about buying it.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Well, the best answer I could find as to how many could play is "the more people you have the more likely you'll run into lag problems etc..."

Plus I read another encouraging thing about using it on dial up.

So once I can afford $90 for the 5 sets plus the C&C rules set I'll get it.

ryguysolis
Mist Elf

Post by ryguysolis »

Shoot me a PM when that happens, if you can handle an extra game that is

Astinus
Mist Elf

Post by Astinus »

Treebore wrote:
Well, the best answer I could find as to how many could play is "the more people you have the more likely you'll run into lag problems etc..."

Plus I read another encouraging thing about using it on dial up.

So once I can afford $90 for the 5 sets plus the C&C rules set I'll get it.

Yeah, it runs with plenty of people. I ran a five person game on dial up last weekend with no appreciable lag. And our players were in Australia, Canada and France.

I'm pretty sure you could run double that without lag being too much of an issue. It's only the sharing of images that is the problem, which you can manage by using modules.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Treebore wrote:
They do, but when I buy into it I'll need it not only for myself but at the very least my 3 kids, and likely my wife as well.

Another problem is everything seems to indicate a limit of 5 being able to play together, and my Monday night group has 8. So until I see it saying in writing it can handle up to 8 or 9 people I won't be sure about buying it.

Remember Treebore, to host Fantasy Grounds you _must_ configure your router so your internal ip address can be "seen" on the internet (aka port forwarding)

If you cannot/don't want to do that, it will not work for you (although you could be a _player_ without port forwarding).

Download the Fantasy Grounds Demo for the brood and run it, see how you like it. Roll the nifty, nifty dice roller. So....shiny

Homer Simpson

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The website says they have a server available for use, and I also read that it can handle high numbers of players, it just might lag, etc...

So if I don't have to do the port forwarding it will be great.

Astinus
Mist Elf

Post by Astinus »

Treebore wrote:
The website says they have a server available for use, and I also read that it can handle high numbers of players, it just might lag, etc...

So if I don't have to do the port forwarding it will be great.

The FG server is just an alias name server. It records your IP address and generates an alias. Then you just give the alias to your players and they enter that to connect to you. Even if you use the name server, your computer will still have to host the game and act as the server.

As for port forwarding, with most firewalls, the first time you connect with FG your firewall will ask if it should allow FG to connect to the internet. If you say yes, it should automatically open the right ports. I've never had to do any port forwarding to host.

But like Aramis says, the free demo is the best way to test it out.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Ahh the demo. Almost forgot. I've got to check it out!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

The Demo's a good idea. I'll have to try it tonight.

I just landed a fast-n-dirty freelance gig which will be dropping a bit of unexpected moolah my way. Looks like the old 'Bird gets to buy something for himself now! Merry Christmas to me

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

jaybird216 wrote:
I just landed a fast-n-dirty freelance gig which will be dropping a bit of unexpected moolah my way. Looks like the old 'Bird gets to buy something for himself now! Merry Christmas to me

Glad to hear it Jay!!

Keolander
Red Cap

Post by Keolander »

I just picked up both FG II and the C&C Ruleset today. Have only played around with it for a few minutes. Not bad, per se, but it could use some manuals to explain stuff better.

Wulfgarn
Lore Drake

Post by Wulfgarn »

Ill be looking into getting it as well

Though for LA Ill ned to see how useful the program is besides just being a table top

naturaltwenty
Ungern

Post by naturaltwenty »

I have run Fantasy Grounds (I and now II) for the past three years. I have a cable modem for hosting and have had upto 10 people on at the same time with no lag. It also helps that I have business class cable service at my house and a pc/server with 4 GB of ram and dual monitors (I'm in IT and have to be able to work remotely:) ).

I'll be picking up the C&C rules-set as soon as Digital Adventures updates their Thawte certificate for security purposes.

Later

rom90125
Red Cap

Post by rom90125 »

I will contact Kevin and pass along the info regarding the Thawte cert.

Thanks for the info.

Developer: C&C Ruleset for Fantasy Grounds II

Digital Adventures, LLC
http://www.digitaladventures.net

-----------

The Lost City of Barakus: A C&C campaign using FGII
http://castles-and-crusades.wikispaces.com/
Achievement is the knowledge that you have studied and worked hard and done the best that is within you. Success is being praised by others. That is nice but not as important or satisfying. Always aim for achievement and forget about success.

rom90125
Red Cap

Post by rom90125 »

I spoke with Kevin, and he gave me an update. The new cert has been applied, but is still being registered as expired. He is working with the support team and hopes to have the issue resolved today.

Developer: C&C Ruleset for Fantasy Grounds II

Digital Adventures, LLC
http://www.digitaladventures.net

-----------

The Lost City of Barakus: A C&C campaign using FGII
http://castles-and-crusades.wikispaces.com/
Achievement is the knowledge that you have studied and worked hard and done the best that is within you. Success is being praised by others. That is nice but not as important or satisfying. Always aim for achievement and forget about success.

naturaltwenty
Ungern

Post by naturaltwenty »

No worries - it's a common thing at the end of the year - so much email, so much spam it's easy to miss the notice.

I'll ping back later today or this weekend.

Thanks for the quick catch!

Later
rom90125 wrote:
I spoke with Kevin, and he gave me an update. The new cert has been applied, but is still being registered as expired. He is working with the support team and hopes to have the issue resolved today.

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

I'm finally going to make this happen this weekend.

OpenRPG, SchmopenRPG.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Remember Jaybird, for Fantasy Grounds to work, the host must be able to let the others connect to his computer. So this means a) those with routers etc. must fiddle with their DMZ (oooh cheeky! ) to let others through and b) the load of the calls is now carried by that host computer, not the openrpg servers we have been using (to mixed success, I agree)

Then again, once you see FGII in action, and roll the shiny, shiny dice, you probably will not be able to go back to old openrpg

Homer Simpson

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

I'm not too worried about leaving my IP open for a few hours every week. I don't keep any sensitive info on my computer, and all the p**n is on an external

blackmote
Mist Elf

Post by blackmote »

I may have to try my hand at Fantasy Grounds once I get my feet wet with the C&C pnp ruleset. of course it may be later in the spring time before I can get fully into an online C&C game. Until then, I'll be watching the progress of several of the games here.

One thing that I've already caught wind of is LordSeurek's UnderMountain game. Waterdeep & UnderMountain is my old stomping grounds as an AD&D 2E Forgotten Realms DM. I even spent about 2-3 years designing much of the original UnderMountain for a [now defunct] Neverwinter Nights CRPG server. *sigh*

aah, good times.
So I'll be checking back here from time to time for openings in various pick-up games just to get the hang of the different programs for online pnp gaming.

Thanks all, and thanks to the Trolls for giving everyone this opportunity.
~Hoyt.
"Nothing is so terrible that a huge red dragon can't make it just a hell of a lot worse."
-Dragon Magazine, issue #194, pg. 3

heruca
Skobbit

Post by heruca »

Aramis wrote:
Remember Jaybird, for Fantasy Grounds to work, the host must be able to let the others connect to his computer. So this means a) those with routers etc. must fiddle with their DMZ (oooh cheeky! ) to let others through

DMZ is overkill, and more of a security risk. All you should have to do is set up port forwarding on the GM's computer.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

heruca wrote:
DMZ is overkill, and more of a security risk. All you should have to do is set up port forwarding on the GM's computer.

Yes, to heruca you must listen.

Do not put your computer at risk for any PC software even for a short time.

Port forwarding only.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rhuvein wrote:
Yes, to heruca you must listen.

Do not put your computer at risk for any PC software even for a short time.

Port forwarding only.

The trick is finding out how to do port forwarding, I still haven't found out how to do it with my router.

heruca
Skobbit

Post by heruca »

It's not hard at all.

Just go here:
www.portforward.com

Look up your router by brand and model number, then follow the step-by-step directions.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

If you have a Linksys, I can give specific help. Otherwise, the link above and/or some yahooing can should be able to find the docs on your router (this assumes you don't have them in print or online through the router software itself).

Incidentally, the FG port is 1802.
http://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide/hosting.xcp

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

heruca wrote:
It's not hard at all.

Just go here:
www.portforward.com

Look up your router by brand and model number, then follow the step-by-step directions.

I did that. I can't find support for my brand anywhere. Its probably someone elses router brand with their label on it (Comtrend), I'm thinking I will just read a few sets of instructions and see if I can just accidentally figure out how to do it for mine. I would guess it isn't too terribly different.