Play by Post Game (1st level)

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Post Reply
marcuspeddle
Ulthal
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:00 am

Play by Post Game (1st level)

Post by marcuspeddle »

I am starting a Play By Post game of Castles & Crusades for four to five players. I am looking at a long term campaign so I would like dedicated and reliable players who are interested in playing for a long time. I will be using 'vanilla' Castles & Crusades rules; i.e. no house rules and only classes, races, equipment, etc. from Players Handbook and Monsters and Treasure. This may change as the game progresses and I will incorporate the Castle Keeper's Guide when it is published and I have a copy. After encounters and certain points in the game I will write up a story and post it here. Although it will not be riveting fiction it will allow all of us to look back on the game and see what we have accomplished. It is also a way of easily remembering places, people, and so on.

Campaign World

The campaign takes place in human lands, in a fertile region of the world through which run two great rivers. Along these rivers and in a few other locations are city states that control a number of towns and villages around them. The politics and geography will be explained in a later post when the game is about to begin. Your characters are from a small village some distance from a southern city. You have lived in this village all your lives except for the several years you spent in the city learning your professions.

Character Creation

Characters begin at 1st level with maximum hit points and you should roll for your starting gold. I will contradict my previous words about no house rules by introducing a house rule about rolling attributes. Roll 4d6 for each attribute and discard the lowest die. If your character does not have a total of at least +3 in modifiers then you may reroll the lowest attribute score until your modifiers total at least +3. Also, no single attribute may have a modifier below -1 and no character should have more than one attribute with a modifier of -1.

Before deciding on a race and class please read the following notes.

Races --

Human: The campaign takes place in human lands and this is the most logical choice for a character's race. Humans have Anglo-Saxon type names such as Hrothgar or Alodia. An Internet search will give you many options.

Dwarf: It is possible to play a dwarf and a possible reason for the dwarf character living in the starting village would be that the character came there long ago as a craftsman. Dwarfs would have Slavic sounding names such as Borislav.

Elf: Elves are acceptable player characters though it will take some thought to invent a reason why an elf would be living in a farming village with humans. Elves have Latin names such as Augustus or Olivia.

Gnome: Gnomes are extremely rare in the campaign area. A gnome may have set up a toy workshop in the village and sells to passing merchants. Gnomes have Greek style names such as Antigone or Thales.

Half-orc: Not recommended.

Half-Elf: There would be no problem thinking of a reason for a half-elf to have grown up in the village if he or she had embraced their human heritage. Names could be elvish or human or some combination of the two.

Halfling: It is plausable that a halfling family would be living in a human village as farmers or craftspeople. Halflings have modern English or Irish sounding names like Patrick or Pamela.

Classes--

All classes are playable except assassins. Barbarians are okay but your starting village is a long way from the uncivilised regions so you will you have to think of a reason you would have settled there. I don't forsee a strong need for a rogue in the party but if you want to play one you will have to tell your fellow villagers that you learned 'locksmithing' in the city while you were away. Nobody wants a thief living near them.

Playing the Game

I think all of the people here at the forum are honest, mature people and so I do not require that you use an online dice roller and post the link. I used to do that at another roleplaying site and it was inconvenient.

If you decide you want to play in this campaign please post your character.

I think it is not unreasonable to expect an email every 24 hours but this is not always possible. I would like to make a 48 hour deadline and if you haven't taken your turn by then I will make a decision about what your character does. I won't unnecessarily endanger your character or have your character do something you probably wouldn't do yourself.

A Few Odds and Ends

I think the best games are cooperative so no evil characters, please. Characters will not always agree on everything but I really discourage PC vs PC fights. These are no fun for anyone, disrupt the game, and help the bad guys win.
Don't expect to get rich quick in my game. You definitely won't starve to death but gems and magic swords aren't lying around in the street protected by giant rats.

The first few adventures will be straightforward missions and encounters and later become a bit more complex once the campaign world fills out.

If I have forgotten something or you have questions, please ask away!

User avatar
mordrene
Ulthal
Posts: 729
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am

Post by mordrene »

You know im in.

J-Star
Skobbit
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:00 am

Post by J-Star »

I'd like to play, though I still don't quite get how play-by-post works...

Do the players post our actions, then you the CK make all the die rolls and post all the results, or something like that?

marcuspeddle
Ulthal
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:00 am

Post by marcuspeddle »

Play by Post is basically the same as a regular game except much slower. Like in a face to face game, the player rolls for things like attacks and damage. Things like listen checks get rolled by the GM.

It's quite fun if people post on a regular basis and not so much fun if people are lazy about taking their turn.

marcuspeddle
Ulthal
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:00 am

Post by marcuspeddle »

Shall we try with just the three of us?

jaguar451
Ulthal
Posts: 457
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:00 am

Post by jaguar451 »

I'd be willing to give it a go....

I've been the cleric the last two games, so prefer to not be typecast and expand into a different role.... I'd prefer to try a Ranger, but will play what's needed, and I guess I'm last to sign-up....

No Arcane/Divine Blast for the casters?

marcuspeddle
Ulthal
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:00 am

Post by marcuspeddle »

No blasting but rangers are welcome. A very good choice, in fact.

User avatar
mordrene
Ulthal
Posts: 729
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am

Post by mordrene »

how do u want us to post our characters?

marcuspeddle
Ulthal
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:00 am

Post by marcuspeddle »

Here will be fine, I suppose.

User avatar
mordrene
Ulthal
Posts: 729
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am

Post by mordrene »

here we go

Aldwyn Ware

Human druid

Level: 1

STR: 11p

DEX: 9

CON: 15

INT: 7

WIS: 16 P

CHA: 14 P

Alignment: Neutral Good

BTH: 0

HP: 9

AC: 13

enc: (12 base) 14, light

Weapon - wolf spear, knife, sling

Armor-leather and small wooden shield

Equipment:

Backpack

Bedroll

fishing gear

Spell component pouch

flint/steel

3 days rations

whetstone

50' silk rope

1 torch

GP: 21

SP: 5

CP: 9

Spells: 4 0 lvl, 2 1st lvl

will pray every morning

marcuspeddle
Ulthal
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:00 am

Post by marcuspeddle »

Great. Thanks for posting it. I'm tempted to say let's start this weekend whether anyone else joins or not. I will use Faran the NPC cleric for a bit of muscle. I will add him anyway, because I also like to roleplay.

Jaguar and J-star?

jaguar451
Ulthal
Posts: 457
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:00 am

Post by jaguar451 »

Working on it, but work has been....

So, when you say BtB, I have to have STR prime for my Ranger? Can't swap out for DEX? And do you want detailed encumbrance, or 'keep it sane' level of tracking?

Any list of Deities? Airdhe? Other pantheons?

marcuspeddle
Ulthal
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:00 am

Post by marcuspeddle »

BtB means 'By the Book', I imagine. Yes, we are playing by the rules as they are in the Player's Handbook. Strength is the prime attribute for rangers.

After people get characters posted I will add some extra information about deities, etc. Deities are not important in my game.

I won't ask for detailed encumbrance lists at the moment since you don't really have anything. Keep it sane, as you say.

jaguar451
Ulthal
Posts: 457
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:00 am

Orvyn (Human Ranger)

Post by jaguar451 »

First pass at my Ranger....

Name: Orvyn

Male Human Ranger

Deity:

Alignment: Neutral Good

Languages: Common

Lvl: 1 EP: 0

STR 13 +1 (P)

DEX 16 +2

CON 10 (P)

INT 9

WIS 13 +1 (P)

CHA 9

BtH: +0

HP: 10

AC: 17 (+4 Armor +1 Buckler +2 DEX)

Move: 30 (22.5 Light encumbrance if so desire)

Armor: Cuir Boille (+4), Buckler (+1)

Weapons:

Sword, Broad 2d4, +1 to hit/DMG

Bow, Short, 20 Arrows 1d6, +2 to hit

Axe, Hand 1d6, +1 to hit/DMG

Dagger 1d4, +1 to hit/DMG

Racial Abilities:

Class Abilities:

Combat Marauder (+1), Conceal, Delay / Neutralize Poison, Move Silently, Scale, Traps, Survival, Track

Gear:

Backpack, Belt Pouch, Large, Quiver, Sack, Large (empty for now)

Rope, Silk 50', Waterskin, Cloak, Armor & Weapon Oil, Wetstone, String 25', oil, flask of x2, rations x3 days, Flint & Steel, Waterskin, Bandages, 4, torch (x2)

Gold: 18

Silver: 18

Coper: 18

21 Years old

60, 185 pounds

marcuspeddle
Ulthal
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:00 am

Post by marcuspeddle »

The ranger looks good. Are you both ready to start?

marcuspeddle
Ulthal
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:00 am

Post by marcuspeddle »

Mordrene atarted this adventure in a Play By EMail game that failed so I think I will fast forward the game to that point. Someone got nailed by a couple of arrows from goblins but otherwise there has been no action. The game bombed just as the action was about to take place. I will write up how you ended up trapped by goblin archers in the gap of a fortress wall and the game can start from there.

--------

Aldwyn, Orvyn, and Faran are friends from a small village. The name of your home village is Exeby (pronounced 'XB') and is about a 4 day walk north of Stonherie (the city state your village is controlled by) and a 4 day walk south of Eseburne, another city-state. (Note: human names and towns have Saxon or Anglo-Saxon names. Deity names are Mesopotamian. How's that? The official gods of the city states are ancient gods and were probably adopted from an older culture.)

You and your friends sit in the village pub drinking the bartender's awful brew that he makes himself in a barn, eating bland fried potatoes, and listening to one of the three songs that Maponus Fingernail can play on the lute. There is nothing to do on this dull afternoon but at least your parents have no work for you to do today in the fields. It has been some months since you returned from training and you wonder if it would have better to have stayed in the city. But no employment and dwindling funds sent you back to the village of your birth to help your parents with chores and sit in the pub eating cheap food and listen to drunk farmers talk about the supposed romantic conquests of their youths.

Just as you are wondering whether or not to get some smoked lamb with the potatoes, there is a commotion outside. Commotions are rare in the village in the middle of the day (they usually don't start until the drunk farmers go home and get in trouble with their very unhappy 'conquests') so naturally everyone jumps up and goes outside. A horse with a rider staggers into town and collapses fifty feet away from the pub. The rider appears to be okay since he is able to jump of the horse as it falls but he is obviously tired, dusty, and extremely upset about something. Most of the people around you stare in astonishment but you and your friends have the presence of mind to do something. You bring the man into the pub and get him a stiff drink of whisky.

The man downs the alcohol and catches his breath. While you wait for him to speak you size him up to see what sort of person he is. Judging by his accent, you would guess he is from the central part of the land, maybe not too far north of where you grew up. He is wearing riding clothes that are far from being rags but not too rich. So he is probably a merchant of some type. As for trustworthiness, he hasn't said enough yet to make a judgment. Whatever or whoever he is, there is no doubt that he has been through something extremely unpleasant.

Finally, he speaks. "Thank you for your help. You are most kind. My name is Iden and I am from Eseburn (Eseburn is a city about six days' walk from your village. Your village, by the way, falls under the control of a city named Stonherie). I deal in goods such as oil and sugar though I am afraid I have nothing now. About an hour ago my servant and me were attacked by a group of goblins. I managed to cut the ropes tying my horse to the wagon but my servant was killed before he could get away. They didn't bother chasing me; they were too interested in finding out what they could steal." The merchant asks for another drop of liquor. After drinking and recovering some of his nerve he speaks again. "The goods I had can be replaced. But there was a keepsake in the wagon that I am very anxious to have back. It's a small chest. Not much but it belonged to my late wife and I would like to have it back." He looks around at you all now, possibly seeing you clearly for the first time. "Some of you in this crowd look like strong men, capable of putting down some thieving goblins. Would you get back the chest for me? It is not large and wouldn't be any trouble to carry back once you have found and killed the goblins. I can't offer you a large reward but you are welcome to 25% of whatever valuables you recover. Can any of you help me?"

You naturally agree (being adventurers) and you get ready to head for the site of the attack up the road.

When you all meet together on the road, you are surrounded by villagers who wish you good luck and tell you to come back safely. You are a source of pride for the village, whose regular lives are improved by the fact that four of its children may make something of themselves and possibly become heroes known to the wide world.

Saying goodbye to family, friends, and neighbours, you take the road north to find and punish the goblins that attacked Iden and his servant. The weather is mild and the grasses browned by the winter are starting to turn green again. To your surprise, it only takes just over an hour to find the merchant's cart in the middle of the road. From a distance you can see that the goblins have smashed up the wheels and beat in the sides. A horse lies dead in front of the cart and next to the horse is a human body. Except for the rustling of grasses in a breeze, you do not hear anything.

After a quick look from side to side, Faran approaches the man lying on the ground next to the dead horse. Upon approaching it is easy to see the man is dead because of all the arrows sticking out of his body. The ground around him is wet with his own blood and that of the horse. Looking around a bit more you see barrels of cooking oil smashed up on the road and the oil mixing with piles of sugar from slashed bags. Nothing is left in the cart and the goblins have obviously taken the merchant's chest.

You do not need to look too closely to see that a number of goblins came and went through the grasses next to where the cart lies ruined. Your eyes follow the trail through the grasses and up a small hill, where an ancient fort sits and looks guiltily down upon the scene. You have heard of this fort from people in the village. Some day it was built by the original settlers to the area. Others say it was built by the natives of the land to keep settlers out. A couple of old men say it belonged to a wizard who once controlled the area. The stories about the fort usually get more and more fantastic as more beer is drunk.

(I will hurry this up a bit). You walk towards the fort and when you get close two arrows fly from the tower on the left. They luckily miss and you hear curses coming from behind the battlements. Not wanting to get attacked again, you run for a gap in the wall that was likely put there by a catapult many, many years ago. Now the three of you huddle in the gap of the wall while you heard goblin voices nattering on about something.

I will post a simple map this evening. In fact, I think I will start a blog where I can post maps, etc. for you. That will be easier than using Photobucket or something.

marcuspeddle
Ulthal
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:00 am

Post by marcuspeddle »

You can see the map of the keep at http://marcuscampaign.blogspot.com/.

You are in the section of wall that has been smashed out. The goblins are up in the tower marked 1.

marcuspeddle
Ulthal
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:00 am

Religion

Post by marcuspeddle »

Here are a few notes about religion in the game.

There are seven temple gods that are worshipped by the priests and people of the city-states. These are, in no particular order of importance,

Anu God of Sky

Enki God of water, fertile earth, and crafts

Ki Goddess of earth and the Earth Mother

Enlil God of air and storms

Inanna Goddess of love and war

Nanna God of the moon

Utu God of the sun

Each city has an official god or goddess. The temple of this god or goddess is the main structure and centre of a city. The high priest is the ruler of a state and his priests run the beauracracy of the city. There are many formal rituals, sacrifices, processions, and so on.

In contrast to the formal religions of the cities, folk religion is very informal and there are no official temples, although there will be a religious shrine in even the smallest village. Folk religion is animistic and includes the worship of Sky, Earth, trees, mountains, and ancestors. During special occassions the villagers will gather at the shrine to dedicate food to the gods and their ancestors and then have a feast.

Clerics in the campaign can worship a city god or simply be shamans of the folk religion. The campaign world is polytheistic and all gods are equal, though temple gods are deemed to be superior and more civilised by city dwellers.

jaguar451
Ulthal
Posts: 457
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:00 am

Post by jaguar451 »

Are the goblin voices only coming from the one location?

"Aldwyn, do you have any spells memorized that could help us take out the Goblins? I don't particularly want to get into a long range archery contest, what with them having the high ground and good cover."

Can I carefully climb through the rubble to get a look inside the courtyard? I knock an array as I approach the inner area, doing my best to keep quiet and hidden....

"Aldwyn, I'm going to see what's inside the keep. Maybe we can come up with a diversion while we get into the tower? There is a door at the base of the tower -- I'd just rather not get shot running for it...."

marcuspeddle
Ulthal
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:00 am

Post by marcuspeddle »

The moment you set foot outside the wall you are in shooting range. It is probably safe to say they are waiting for you to poke your heads out.

Besides the two goblins in #1 tower, you don't hear any other voices.

marcuspeddle
Ulthal
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:00 am

Post by marcuspeddle »

Faran speaks up. "Since I am better armoured than the two of you, I will step out and draw their fire. When their arrows are fired, hopefully into the ground, run for the door. I will follow and then we can go up the stairs and nail them."

User avatar
mordrene
Ulthal
Posts: 729
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am

Post by mordrene »

Aldwin speaks up, "make the call and we will follow."

marcuspeddle
Ulthal
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:00 am

Post by marcuspeddle »

"As soon as the arrows fly, run for the door."

Faran sprints away from your shelter, looking up towards the tower hoping to avoid the arrows by seeing when the goblins let the strings go. His tactics work because you see one arrow fly far to his left and the other crash into the ground near his foot and break.

"Run!" He shouts, preparing to run himself.

I will say that you gain surprise because the goblins don't expect you to run for the door and because they have just let their arrows go.

User avatar
mordrene
Ulthal
Posts: 729
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am

Post by mordrene »

as soon as faran leaves I head for the door.

marcuspeddle
Ulthal
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:00 am

Post by marcuspeddle »

You reach the old faded green door and get in with no problems because it's nearly falling off its hinges. It squeaks awfully as you push it aside but since the goblins already know you are coming it is no great matter.

I will say that the both of you get inside the tower with no problems. Faran and the goblins will have a round of combat before the cleric can run to the door. I'll do that when I get home this evening.

As for the stairs, there are three narrow flights of them that go up to the top of the tower. They are made of stone and still in good shape. Arrow slits let in a dim light and from above you can hear the excited goblins shouting something that probably means, "Shoot, shoot! Bugger! Two of them got in!" You figure there are two landings before the final flight of steps to the top. The tower is about 15 feet tall, by the way. The walls of the fort are about 10 feet tall.

jaguar451
Ulthal
Posts: 457
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:00 am

Orvyn (Human Ranger)

Post by jaguar451 »

Well, we're inside, might as well head up.... Unless we want to try and burn them out..... I've got an arrow knocked as I head up, ready to shoot at anything I see ready to shoot us....

Not sure if I can have my buckler on my upper arm while holding my bow, if so, I do.

I head up first (better AC), going quick but wary....

marcuspeddle
Ulthal
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:00 am

Post by marcuspeddle »

Seeing that both of you are safely on your way to the tower, he sprints for the door but he is too slow. One arrow skips off his hardened leather armour but the other gets buried deeply into his leg, almost causing him to fall. Faran stumbles to the door and gets inside. The head of the arrow s luckily not barbed and the cleric pulls it out without problem. The wound is very deep but Faran lays his hands over it and concentrates his spiritual energy. The wound closes up, leaving just a slightly purple mark where the wound was.

"That was close," he says. "I think I'll lay off the altruism next time," he jokes. "Aldwyn, are you ready to go up? I will go last in case anything comes behind us. You stick close to Orvyn so you can cast spells at those bloody goblins."

User avatar
mordrene
Ulthal
Posts: 729
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am

Post by mordrene »

Aldwyn tightens his grip on teh wolf spear and states, "lets enact some revenge for your wound." He then follows behind Orvyn and awaits combat.

marcuspeddle
Ulthal
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:00 am

Up the stairs

Post by marcuspeddle »

I assume you are all going up, then.

Orvyn starts up the stairs followed by Aldwyn and Faran. The light coming through the arrow slits is dim but enough to walk fairly quickly. You go up one steep flight of stairs to a small landing and then walk up the next flight in the opposite direction. There is another landing and then the final flight of stairs. Knowing the goblins are probably waiting for you, you poke your head around the corner. Sure enough, the two goblins are looking down the stairs with bows in hand. They know you are there and you know they are there.

Roll for initiative.

jaguar451
Ulthal
Posts: 457
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:00 am

Post by jaguar451 »

d10: 2!

Post Reply