Hey James - questions from a Wilderlands Newb

Where players gather to discuss the setting and game!
jman5000

Hey James - questions from a Wilderlands Newb

Post by jman5000 »

ok, so I've been looking forward to the WoHA for a while now. hoping that the presses will start running and the product will become available.. but I do have a couple of questions regarding the setting.

- being a total Wilderlands newb, will your products stand alone as is, or will I need prior knowledge by way of purchasing other products?

- your release schedule, will I be able to pick up product #1 (not talking about XXi here) and be able to "get" the wilderlands setting, or will a couple of products need to be purchased before a complete picture, and feel be established?

[tangent]

I really believe that C&C needs "competition" in the form of different 3rd party settings, I think it raises the bar for everyone involved

[\tangent]

so, I'm really looking forward to seeing your material and can't wait until it starts coming off the presses - but having never been exposed to the wilderlands stuff before, I just don't know how much prior knowledge one needs to "get it"

Cheers,

J.

jamesmishler
Ulthal

Re: Hey James - questions from a Wilderlands Newb

Post by jamesmishler »

jman5000 wrote:
being a total Wilderlands newb, will your products stand alone as is, or will I need prior knowledge by way of purchasing other products?

Each product will be able to be taken and used on its own, in the Wilderlands (High Fantasy or High Adventure) or any other setting (with minor work). Everything will be flavored for the WoHA, but can be readily adapted. If you have the WoHF boxed set and Player's Guide from Necromancer, you will be perfectly set to use these products as is.
Quote:
your release schedule, will I be able to pick up product #1 (not talking about XXi here) and be able to "get" the wilderlands setting, or will a couple of products need to be purchased before a complete picture, and feel be established?

To "get" the Wilderlands you will either need to have the classic booklets or the Necro boxed set; though the Necro set is different in many cases, the overall feel is much the same. I will not even consider releasing a product that competes directly with the boxed set until I hear from Bill or Clark that they have sold out of the boxed set. My products will be supplemental to that; however, each will also be stand-alone. To use Tell Qa, for example, you really don't need anything else, but to have the whole picture of the Falling Empire and the lands about, as presented in the boxed set, helps. Modules will fit in the setting, and be designed to use everything in there, but you really don't have to have the boxed set to enjoy them, or understand everything; all the basic needed information will be included.
Quote:
[tangent]

I really believe that C&C needs "competition" in the form of different 3rd party settings, I think it raises the bar for everyone involved[\tangent]

I'd love to see more C&C products from licensors in general, of all sorts. I think after Gen Con there will be a much bigger interest in C&C than before...
Quote:
so, I'm really looking forward to seeing your material and can't wait until it starts coming off the presses - but having never been exposed to the wilderlands stuff before, I just don't know how much prior knowledge one needs to "get it"

If you've got the boxed set and the PGW, you will be set. If you've read Howard and ERB and Tolkien and Lieber and Gemmell and Vance and Carter and Lovecraft, you will be good to go. And each product will be stand-alone, too, adaptable for use with any setting (well, just about... Dark Sun would be a tough one to adapt to, for example).

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
[email protected]
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

So, to summarize and to test if I understand correctly, for someone who has never played in the wilderlands settings before, it is still recommended that he purchase either the classic booklets or the boxed set. Everything that you will be producing will be items that fit "on top of" this framework?

Cheers,

J.

jamesmishler
Ulthal

Post by jamesmishler »

jman5000 wrote:
So, to summarize and to test if I understand correctly, for someone who has never played in the wilderlands settings before, it is still recommended that he purchase either the classic booklets or the boxed set. Everything that you will be producing will be items that fit "on top of" this framework?

Exactly, if you want the complee Wilderlands experience, you will need one or the other. You can otherwise use each WoHA product as is, in your own campaign setting, in Greyhawk, in the Forgotten Realms, or wherever...

Once the boxed set is sold out, I will start releasing gazetteers of each individual region, starting with the Falling Empire, the Roglaras, and Tarantis, probably in that order. Each will include most of the pertinent info from the boxed set that applies to the WoHA, plus all the differences as developed in the alternate setting.

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
[email protected]
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

cool. thanks for clarifying. this wasn't clear to me..

ok. a google we shall go...

cheers,

J.