Switch to full style
Where players gather to discuss the setting and game!
Post a reply

Adventure Games Journal #1 Previews

Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:26 pm

I'll post updates in this thread when I post new previews from Adventure Games Journal #1 and Campaign Installment #1: Player's Guide to the Southern Reaches.
NEW: Previews are now up on the AGP website! Go to www.adventuregamespubs.com and click on the link at the top of the page.

A PDF preview will go out before the release, probably ~8 pages of the magazine and 6 pages of the campaign installment.
Sep. 21: There's a minor preview on my blog; an NPC from one of the articles in the first issue. It gives you a sample of the stat block and character detail for important NPCs.
_________________
James Mishler

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
jamesagp1@gmail.com
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:18 pm

Looking good James. I can't wait to get the first issues.

What is the SL in the stat blocks? I realize that it's a "trade" level, but what does it mean to the game?

For instance, Celebglin the Steward has SL Military 6. Is there a list of categories in which Military is included? And what exactly is the 6 telling me?

Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:26 pm

Mike Frank wrote:
Looking good James. I can't wait to get the first issues.

What is the SL in the stat blocks? I realize that it's a "trade" level, but what does it mean to the game?

For instance, Celebglin the Steward has SL Military 6. Is there a list of categories in which Military is included? And what exactly is the 6 telling me?



SL is Social Level, and the "Military" portion is the Social Class or Caste.

Judges Guild started out long ago with social classes and levels as being an integral part of the City State setting. Added a whole different level of interplay between PCs and NPCs. It didn't matter if you were a 12th level fighter who had slain three trolls and a dragon, if you were just an SL General 5 ("Citizen") that 1st level fighter who was SL Nobility 5 ("Page") got better service, and his word was taken before yours in any civilized setting. It was a VERY important factor when dealing with the constabulary or when in court or when seeking an audience with the Overlord.

Each of the three main regions published (Roglaras, Viridistan, Tarantis) had its own range of social classes and levels. These will be continued in WoHA, though I've changed a few of them around and added more details here and there. Each Player's Guide will have details on the social classes and levels of the region.

Note that NPCs and PCs wouldn't use the "class level" system, they'd be known by a title. SL Military 6, for example, in the original chart is a "Man-at-Arms." SL Gentry 9 is a "Magistrate," SL Noble 10 is a "Count" and so forth.

Hmmm... Maybe I should whip up the SL Guide for the Roglaras as a preview iteml it is the baseline from which all others are derived. I'll see if I can fit that in the schedule this week...
_________________
James Mishler

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
jamesagp1@gmail.com
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:12 am

jamesmishler wrote:
SL is Social Level, and the "Military" portion is the Social Class or Caste.

Judges Guild started out long ago with social classes and levels as being an integral part of the City State setting. Added a whole different level of interplay between PCs and NPCs. It didn't matter if you were a 12th level fighter who had slain three trolls and a dragon, if you were just an SL General 5 ("Citizen") that 1st level fighter who was SL Nobility 5 ("Page") got better service, and his word was taken before yours in any civilized setting. It was a VERY important factor when dealing with the constabulary or when in court or when seeking an audience with the Overlord.

Each of the three main regions published (Roglaras, Viridistan, Tarantis) had its own range of social classes and levels. These will be continued in WoHA, though I've changed a few of them around and added more details here and there. Each Player's Guide will have details on the social classes and levels of the region.

Note that NPCs and PCs wouldn't use the "class level" system, they'd be known by a title. SL Military 6, for example, in the original chart is a "Man-at-Arms." SL Gentry 9 is a "Magistrate," SL Noble 10 is a "Count" and so forth.



Ah. That makes sense. Do the PC's have a way of increasing their social level? What are the limitations?

Hmm, sounds like it could get sluggish; I'd have to see how the system works.

jamesmishler wrote:
Hmmm... Maybe I should whip up the SL Guide for the Roglaras as a preview iteml it is the baseline from which all others are derived. I'll see if I can fit that in the schedule this week...



I would certainly like to see this, but only if you've got the time to spare. Because I really want to see the AGJ become a success.

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:10 am

I have used SL in my games for a very, very long time. Pretty much since SL was established! It's a great way to make high level characters "less relevant" when compared to big cities, or more relevant for that matter.
.........................................Omote

FPQ
_________________
> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <
Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society

Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:10 pm

Oct. 4: New preview from Campaign Installment #1; the Bard class and how it interacts in the societies of the Southern Reaches.
_________________
James Mishler

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
jamesagp1@gmail.com
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:36 pm

How awesome is that? My wife just rolled up a Bard/Thief last weekend for a new chapter in our Wilderlands Campaign.

Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:29 am

'nother preview is up.
_________________
James Mishler

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
jamesagp1@gmail.com
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:30 am

James, I'm diggin' this stuff. Good work!

Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:52 am

ironbull wrote:
James, I'm diggin' this stuff. Good work!



Thanks Ironbull! Glad you like!
_________________
James Mishler

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
jamesagp1@gmail.com
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:55 am

NEW: Previews are now up on the AGP website! Go to www.adventuregamespubs.com and click on the link at the top of the page.
_________________
James Mishler

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
jamesagp1@gmail.com
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:39 pm

I just spent the last hour scouring the web trying to find out what "SL" means. I have never heard of "social level" in an RPG before.

Glad I found this thread.

I am a subscriber though I don't come to Adv Games Journal with any background in the Wilderlands or Judges Guild. I do have the Necro Wilderlands releases but haven't delved into them much. It was my complete inability to understand much of AGP #1 that got me to read the Player's Guide to the Wilderlands. I also just purchased and read the C&C phb. Now AGP #1 is starting to make some sense.

So it is all still a bit foggy but clearing little by little. All I have to do is find a C&C demo game and the flood gates may open. I am my groups CK, so I need to figure out the rules before springing them on the group.

E.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:03 am

ludyee wrote:
It was my complete inability to understand much of AGP #1 that got me to read the Player's Guide to the Wilderlands. I also just purchased and read the C&C phb. Now AGP #1 is starting to make some sense.



E-

Thanks for your feedback here!

Perhaps it would help yourself and others if I included a page or two in each issue that included some definitions of Wilderlands/Judges Guild specific terms and such, like SL and whatnot... Maybe a mini-map of the Wilderlands like used to be in every issue of Pegasus...

Food for thought, that's for sure.

Do you have any other thoughts on ways I might improve the magazine? Things that might help you understand the Wilderlands better?

Thanks!
_________________
James Mishler

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
jamesagp1@gmail.com
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:49 am

jamesmishler wrote:
Perhaps it would help yourself and others if I included a page or two in each issue that included some definitions of Wilderlands/Judges Guild specific terms and such, like SL and whatnot... Maybe a mini-map of the Wilderlands like used to be in every issue of Pegasus...



Yes, this would be helpful, IMO - if it's not too much trouble, James!
_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:42 am

Maybe if you explain social level and the different types of humans/races - even a short one line description in your glossary section e.g. 'Tharbian - The race of red-skinned humans from Altanis.") And maybe you could put this list on the website as well?
_________________
Visit the Castles & Crusades wiki!
http://castlesandcrusades.wikispaces.com/

Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:51 am

Just another idea I had - maybe you could do a regular feature - 'The Player's Guide to the Wilderlands', giving new or existing readers the basics of the setting without making them refer to the Necro Player's Guide. And explain about weather, seasons, BCCC, where the City-State is and all that.
_________________
Visit the Castles & Crusades wiki!
http://castlesandcrusades.wikispaces.com/

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:16 pm

A C&C Players Guide to the Wilderlands would be great, especially if he does all the charts, tables, etc... like in the original version.
_________________
The Ruby Lord, Earl of the Society

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:02 am

Treebore wrote:
A C&C Players Guide to the Wilderlands would be great, especially if he does all the charts, tables, etc... like in the original version.



Now THAT, I could get behind. Sweet.

-O
_________________
> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <
Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society

Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:20 am

Storm Queen wrote:
Just another idea I had - maybe you could do a regular feature - 'The Player's Guide to the Wilderlands', giving new or existing readers the basics of the setting without making them refer to the Necro Player's Guide. And explain about weather, seasons, BCCC, where the City-State is and all that.



Good idea, Storm Queen ~ and I like your other one as well.

Heh, and if James is really feeling ambitious ~ Treebore's suggestion is great as well.

Actually, I'm really liking these ideas because while I'd like to get the Wilderlands Boxed Set, I hesitate to spend so much because I would probably use so little of it. I'm way more interested in James's stuff regardless of the setting.

In my campaign world of Aihrde, I've created an area north west of the Blacktooth Ridge that contains a small section of "The Wilderlands" and has Tell Qa in it.

_________________
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:58 am

Rhu if you find the boxed set for a good price, say $30 or less, get it. I like the Wilderlands and how Necromancer did it enough to own 3 copies. At Amazon prices, and the first one at full price so I got the PDF for free.
_________________
The Ruby Lord, Earl of the Society

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:38 am

Treebore wrote:
Rhu if you find the boxed set for a good price, say $30 or less, get it. I like the Wilderlands and how Necromancer did it enough to own 3 copies. At Amazon prices, and the first one at full price so I got the PDF for free.



I found a copy for $30 yesterday myself. Yipee!
_________________
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
Post a reply