View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Bob Bledsaw Health Update: UPDATE 02/01 
Ulthal

Post Bob Bledsaw Health Update: UPDATE 02/01
Bob was in the hospital for most of the holidays after a procedure; sounds like it was carotid endarterectomy, he didn't say specifically. The worse news, though, is that during the stay they found a mass growing on his right kidney. He's going to be going through a battery of tests in the next couple weeks, first to determine what kind of growth it is, then to determine if he is strong enough to have it removed.

Bob sounded his usual self, so I don't really know how serious it is. He gave permission to mention this, and even post on the forums, though he said he's not looking for any pity or handouts (I told him he has friends and fans who would want to wish him their best); it was "steely Bob" who said no damn handouts or anything like that. He was more interested, I think, in discussing the future of D&D, specifically wondering at the way monsters work in 4E and how that affects the character of campaigns...

The best thing we can all do is keep him in our thoughts and prayers. If anyone wants to send him a card, mail them to me and I will pass them on (no gifts please, just cards). Mail cards to:

Adventure Games Publishing

Attn: Invincible Overlord

PO Box 185

Iola, WI 54945

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
jamesagp1@gmail.com
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:13 pm
Unkbartig

Wishing him the best, needless to say....and a speedy recovery!

Mike

Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:45 pm
Battle Stag

Wow, thanks for sharing. Here's all the best in the world to Bobby B.

-O

Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
Red Cap

Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:45 am
Lore Drake

Know your roll!

Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:51 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

Yeah, sorry to hear this. I hope he makes a good recovery!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:51 pm
Ulthal

I spoke with Bob's brother and with his son today. He's back in the hospital. Tests so far are inconclusive, but what's worse, Bob broke his hip, and some other problems have cropped up, so he's going to be there for some time still.

Your thoughts and prayers for Bob would be most welcome.

jamesagp1@gmail.com

Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:47 pm
Red Cap

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:04 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

Just curious, any know his age. Late 60s/early 70s, no?

God bless and God speed to health and recovery!

Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:53 am
Battle Stag

Man, rough. We'll be sending thoughts and prayers for Bob.

-O

Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
Unkbartig

Mike

Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:49 pm
Lore Drake

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax

Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:00 pm
Ulthal

Bob has terminal cancer.

I've known now for several weeks, but the family requested that I respect their privacy and not release the full details to the public as yet. Unfortunately, someone else has been calling everyone in the industry letting them know, and it's now leaking out to the public...

Bob does have cancer. The cancer from the mass they found on his kidney had apparently spread to his bone structure (or however that works). With radiation therapy to shrink the mass he will feel a little better, for a little while, but yes, he only has a few months to live on the outside. Three at best, if we are lucky.

Now that it has broken public, I'll give his son a call and see what kind of official statement they would like to make.

I'm sorry I didn't tell anyone earlier, but as I said, that was per the wishes of his sons, brothers, and sisters.

jamesagp1@gmail.com

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:04 pm
Lore Drake

jamesmishler wrote:
Okay, it's out now.

Bob has terminal cancer.

I've known now for several weeks, but the family requested that I respect their privacy and not release the full details to the public as yet. Unfortunately, someone else has been calling everyone in the industry letting them know, and it's now leaking out to the public...

Bob does have cancer. The cancer from the mass they found on his kidney had apparently spread to his bone structure (or however that works). With radiation therapy to shrink the mass he will feel a little better, for a little while, but yes, he only has a few months to live on the outside. Three at best, if we are lucky.

Now that it has broken public, I'll give his son a call and see what kind of official statement they would like to make.

I'm sorry I didn't tell anyone earlier, but as I said, that was per the wishes of his sons, brothers, and sisters.

Ugh. After losing both my stepmom-in-law and my wife to cancer in the last 24 months, this hits me hard. I will continue to pray for Bob and his family. James, if anyone needs someone to talk to about this, please PM or email me.

Flyerskippy at A O L dot com

In prayer,

Michael

EDIT: I highly recommend this site of former SF Giants' pitcher, Dave Dravecky's. They were a wonderful support during my wife's sickness and subsequent passing.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

-- E. Gary Gygax

Psalm 73:26

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:30 pm
Unkbartig

Yes, my stepmother passed away from similar cancer a hear and a half ago. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.
Not to be morbid here but does anyone know what the fate of the Judges Guild TMs will be?

All my prayers,

Mike

Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:26 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

I suspected it was bad as I'm sure many of you thought as well.

Thoughts and prayers go out to Bob and his family.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:11 am
Ulthal

James, I think you should post that notice in the Open Discussion forum as well. I'm not sure if everyone visits this one.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]