core classes in the Wilderlands

Where players gather to discuss the setting and game!
jman5000

core classes in the Wilderlands

Post by jman5000 »

a small question that has been tickling the back of my brain for a while.

Are the core classes as is in the Wilderlands from the C&C core rules, or are the tweaked/different?

if they are different, shouldn't they have been like the very first thing released?

cheers,

J.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Re: core classes in the Wilderlands

Post by moriarty777 »

jman5000 wrote:
a small question that has been tickling the back of my brain for a while.

Are the core classes as is in the Wilderlands from the C&C core rules, or are the tweaked/different?

if they are different, shouldn't they have been like the very first thing released?

cheers,

J.

I think some of these will generally be filtered through the various Player Supplements and actual Adventure Games Journal as time goes on. Once upon a time, James did inquire about general interest on such a product but the response was a bit less than favorable. That's at least from what I remember anyway.

I've been thinking on this same issue and was considering possibly adapting certain kits from Second Edition AD&D mentality to address this. Either that... or convert some of the 3.x ones from the Player's Guide to the Wilderlands.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

a whole book on the classes - I agree, not sure if that would fly, at least not initially, but an article or essay on "hey guys, this is what you need to do with the core classes from the PhB" essential

essential if the core classes in the wilderlands is different than the core from the phb.

Cheers,

J.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

jman5000 wrote:
a whole book on the classes - I agree, not sure if that would fly, at least not initially, but an article or essay on "hey guys, this is what you need to do with the core classes from the PhB" essential

essential if the core classes in the wilderlands is different than the core from the phb.

Cheers,

J.

There were two very good C&C conversions done at some point back. One for the Amazon and one for the Witch. If you're interested, I'd be happy to forward them along via email.

M

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

"Core classes" are meant to be used in the Wilderlands setting. Its just that there are a lot of variants out there as well.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

considering that the "core" wilderness setting is still and will always be D&D 3.5 edition, based on no planned release of a wilderlands boxed set or antying like that, is that statement still true for C&C?

Cheers,

J.

jamesmishler
Ulthal

Post by jamesmishler »

The core classes from the C&C PHB are intended to be used in the Wilderlands exactly as they are in the PHB, without any change. I have no plan to make any official alterations...

However...

Eventually I might publish alternative versions in AGJ or various Wilderlands products. I especially am not fond of the C&C barbarian as it stands, so that will probably be the first full-fledged alternate class. Others may follow, though more likely I'll include *new* classes rather than altered ones, as the barbarian is the only class I have any significant issues with (paladin and bard less so).

I hesitate to mention it, but one of the things I'm working on is the Amazon warrior class for C&C; the Amazons figure prominently in the Southern Reaches, but there's not enough room in the PG for the class. I will likely offer the basic class as a free PDF on the AGP site, and sell a 16 to 24 page booklet that includes the class, the history of the Amazons in the Wilderlands, Amazon class variants, Amazon NPCs, and so forth.

Other new classes will follow as room is available in the Journal or as the need strikes.

That said, all alternate and new classes are entirely *optional* and use of them is up to the judge and her campaign needs. Every new class has an alternative "core" class that can be used instead.

Here's a complete list of all the new classes which are scheduled to appear at some point in time, and their substitutional core classes:

Alchemist (d4, Intelligence, Wizard)

Amazon Warrior (d12, Constitution, Barbarian)

Anti-Paladin (d10, Charisma, any Evil, Paladin with reversed powers)

Beggar (d6, Charisma, Rogue)

Berserker (d12, Constitution, Barbarian)

Courtesan (d6, Charisma, Rogue)

Enchanter (d4, Charisma, Wizard)

Healer (d8, Wisdom, Cleric)

Jester (d6, Charisma, Rogue)

Litigation Trickster (d6, Charisma, Rogue)

Mycretian (d12, Wisdom, Lawful Good, Cleric)

Necromancer (d4, Intelligence, Wizard)

Nomad (d10, Dexterity, Barbarian)

Pirate (d8, Dexterity, Rogue)

Psychic (d8, varies, none yet for C&C)

Sage (d4, Intelligence, Wizard)

Shaman (d8, Charisma, Cleric)

Summoner (d4, Charisma, Wizard)

Witch, Black (d4, Charisma, any Evil, Wizard)

Witch, Fey (d4, Charisma, Wizard)

Witch, Gray (d4, Charisma, Wizard)

Witch, White (d4, Charisma, any Good, Wizard)

Note that this list is subject to change; it is a work in progress. The Mycretian has already appeared in XXXI. Spellcasters will likely get their own booklet, as the new spells included would take up a LOT of space in the magazine.

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
[email protected]
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Sounds pretty cool James! In the meantime, I might work a bit on my 'kit' idea to round out some of that list for my campaign.

As an aside, I developed an Anti-Paladin class for use (and I've noticed a couple others who have done the same since)... I had forgotten about the Mycretian which you already provided... and I have viable versions of the Necromancer, Amazon, and Witch (that I had nothing to do with).

M