View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Necro/JG decision? 
Lore Drake

Post Necro/JG decision?
James,

Just curious if Clark & Necro had made a decision on Wilderlands products - seemed at LGGC that AGP might be in the clear, just wanted to know if it had all settled out.

P.S. Thanks for the excellent Cro Manach game!

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:29 pm
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
Maukling

Post Re: Necro/JG decision?
I believe the gentle advice to the Bledsaw's, from both Clark and James, was to avoid 4e at all costs.

Which is why James is now able to move forward.

Peter Bradley

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
Unkbartig

In that case, anyone know the future of Necro's Tegel Manor?

Since Melan wrote it, and had always intended on putting out a free pdf of the TG conversion to C&C...I imagine it would be quite easy just to excise the3X stuff and put in C&C stats to be a C&C product! Either through Necro or AGP?

Here's hoping,

Mike

Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:12 pm
Ulthal

The future of Tegel Manor is still in the hands of Necromancer Games. I know that Clark *really* wants to publish it in some format. What his plans are at this time I do not know.

AGP is finally continuing forward with the Wilderlands of High Adventure for Castles & Crusades. The Southern Reaches Gazetteer should be out by Gen Con (ideally mailed out before the show to subscribers), and I hope to have one other product available by then... we shall see.

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
jamesagp1@gmail.com
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com

Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:16 pm
Mogrl

I am betting Necro will publish a 3E Tegal Manor through Paizo. Now if they do that huge vinyl map as well, I will be doing things you don't want to know about.

Now James, feel the lash of that whipping emoticon?

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:45 pm
Renegade Mage

I'm very pleased to hear this though I'm naturally curious the direction the Tegel Manor will now take. Probably the best course is a straight 3rd ed version as opposed to a Pathfinder *tweaked* one. That doesn't stop them from slapping a Pathfinder logo on the product mind you. However, that also means that the Goodman Games Wilderlands Conversions stand as is and it'll be nice to see Tegel Manor join the ranks of the others that have been done for 3.x

This is indeed some good news!

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:16 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Being totally evil here, I'd like to see Bob Jr. tell Necro that all future JG products must be done in a C&C format.

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:31 am
Profile WWW
Mogrl

Julian Grimm wrote:
Being totally evil here, I'd like to see Bob Jr. tell Necro that all future JG products must be done in a C&C format.

I have had that thought a few times myself.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:20 am
Mist Elf

jamesmishler wrote:
The future of Tegel Manor is still in the hands of Necromancer Games. I know that Clark *really* wants to publish it in some format. What his plans are at this time I do not know.

I also quite want to see it. C&C would be cool, but Clark doesn't want to go that way, and that's his prerogative. I can personally promise that if I am allowed to, I will make conversion notes available. It appears that most of the people interested in a revised Tegel are either C&C enthusiasts or players of other old-school systems.

We will see (said the blind man).

Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:55 am
Greater Lore Drake

Here's the thing though, I'm not buying any RPG stuff unless I see it C&C based or system neutral. Clark doesn't want to go that way, that's fine it's his company. However I don't want to buy anything that doesn't support the system I play. That is why Goodman still gets my business and Green Ronin may be getting my business.

I just don't think that Necro's casual dismissal of C&C is such a good option with the current playing field out there.

Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
Mist Elf

Well, the obvious answer then is "so don't buy it".

Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:59 am
Greater Lore Drake

I'm not going to. I thought I made my stance clear on that.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:27 am
Profile WWW
Unkbartig

I don't think you can find a more harsh critic of post 2000 D&D than myself, but I'll get it...even if NG makes it 3.5 compatible.

Personally, I think the best solution would be for Necro to do it up with minimal stats like the Wilderlands box set; or better yet like Goodman's Points of Light book. Its fairly edition neutral and it could be used with Pathfinder, C&C, OSRIC, etc. with minimal conversion.

But that's just me.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:33 pm
Mist Elf

Julian Grimm wrote:
I'm not going to. I thought I made my stance clear on that.

Loud, clear and all over the Internet.

(When people write, "I am not supporting that company", people read "I am boycotting that company". And that isn't the stuff of friendly discussion. That said, it's a free world.)

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:09 am
Mogrl

I won't know if I am boycotting WOTC until after we finish the 4E playtest. I have already been boycotting Hasbro as much as I can for about 4 years now. Right after Heroscape came out. It has nothing to do with Heroscape, just the company. I like Heroscape.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:36 am
Greater Lore Drake

Melan wrote:
Loud, clear and all over the Internet.

(When people write, "I am not supporting that company", people read "I am boycotting that company". And that isn't the stuff of friendly discussion. That said, it's a free world.)

How is not supporting a company that doesn't support the game I play unfriendly? Was I to keep silent about where I stood in which direction I wanted Tegel to go? I guess I was supposed to. So for future reference the rule is apparantly "Thou shalt accept the casual dismissal of the system thou uses. Even though there is no damn good reason for that dismissal."

Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:44 am
Profile WWW
Mist Elf

Is "We are not producing products for this system" casual dismissal? Whatever.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:10 am
Greater Lore Drake

Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:20 am
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

My point is: how is my saying I am no longer buying from X company because they do not support C&C 'unfriendly'? It's a statement to where my money goes in the near to mid future. So yes if Goodman continues with C&C or with system neutral material then I continue buying from them. If Green Ronin picks up some C&C stuff, as the rumor is saying, then I buy from them.

Since Necro seems to be refusing to even consider C&C and since my $$ does not want to support 4e then I am not buying anything else from them. Period. And IMNSHO Necro is casually dismissing C&C when it won't give a reason for not even trying C&C but gives every reason for it going 4e and considering Pathfinder. The statement 'We aren't doing anything fro that system.' sounds like a casual excuse to stop anyone else lobbying for them to try a C&C product.

So dismiss me with a casual 'Whatever'. As far as my money goes Necromancer has made itself just as irrelevant to me as WOTC has. So one persons money doesn't matter to them. And if that one turns to more?

Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:38 am
Profile WWW
Mogrl

I have never understood Clark's attitude about C&C either. IT isn't like Necromancer is a HUGE 3E publisher. After Crucible of Freya their biggest print runs became 1500 units, and they were apparently lucky to reach 1,000 units sold for the vast majority of their modules.

I hope that C&C is doing at least that kind of volume.

So his reluctance to do any C&C modules certainly baffles me.

TLG is certainly doing better then Necromancer Games ever did. Necromancer never could afford full time employees and office space.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:08 pm
Lore Drake

Treebore wrote:
I have never understood Clark's attitude about C&C either. IT isn't like Necromancer is a HUGE 3E publisher. After Crucible of Freya their biggest print runs became 1500 units, and they were apparently lucky to reach 1,000 units sold for the vast majority of their modules.

TLG is certainly doing better then Necromancer Games ever did. Necromancer never could afford full time employees and office space.

Could just be Clark's own predelictions at work here. As for the runs, size of co. comparisons, etc. - it's a bit hard because there are differences. NG spends more money on print costs (more color on interior, etc.), whereas TLG (if my understanding is correct) can do smaller runs on softcovers like mods, then do an additional run if sold through (I think this happened with Dark Chateau just before LGGC).

I will throw my two bits in on giving money to a co. or not - really, right now, only Goodman, James's AGP and Green Ronin have given love to C&C. Whether Goodman continues to is still up in the air (though Joe Goodman was at LGGC, played with Steve and they were a huddlin' and a schemin'). Most of my money (in fact, more than I ever gave to TSR in the 1980s by far) goes to TLG. Some co.'s I've bought from, some not. To be honest, the one that I haven't ever gotten anything from is actually Green Ronin. But it's all very selective - bought Vampire for my wife from White Wolf about 5 years ago (last product there), several DCCs from Goodman (good stuff - easily convertable before now - sad to see that one change), bought Dungeon mags from Paizo, and ( ) have bought: 3.0 in 2001, Forgotten Realms Setting in 2005, Ruins of Greyhawk 2007 (just because I'm a geek and still buy anything Greyhawk, even if it's not the real deal) and 4e PHB this summer from WotC.

I understand and can see why anyone would make a stand - "I'll support the co's that support me and my favorite system." I don't think it's wrong or snarky, just making a point. I'm pretty clearly a champion of C&C and I still pop up at ENWORLD to sing its praises from time to time (the mere mention of C&C or alternate systems can get some of those guys going lol....).

I also might say that TLG is different from Goodman or NG - TLG is primarily a self-system publisher, with its focus on material for its own systems (C&C primarily, LA second, hopefully Star Siege and other Siege based genre games). NG and GG and the like are primarily producers of supplementary material - adventures, settings, etc. for whatever the primary market system is, which was d20 now is 4e. Financially, the nature of those companies is fundementally different than TLG, and their not being traitors or anything by going 4e, that's just their model of operation.

Now, because of my own reaction to 4e and the GSL, and the further distance in compatibility with C&C or OGL games, it's likely I'll be spending almost no money on products that are 4e GSL. If its a stat-light, fluff heavy book (Goodmans POL book) - I'll buy if it really interests me, whether its from NG, GG or even WotC (the last being doubtful they'd ever print a stat-light work -- the last I can think of is the Living Greyhawk Gaz years ago).

www.cncsociety.org

Dreamer of Ilshara

Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:42 pm
Profile WWW
Battle Stag

Treebore wrote:

Maybe because NG never wanted office space for a company of such small margins. Perhaps, Clark set down his own business model and decided not to deviate from it. Perhaps Clark just never wanted to go backwards with game deisgn. There are a probably many more reasons and those are Clark's alone. Besides the fact that there is no office space, full time employees or the like, I wouldn't call Necromancer Games a lame or failed company. Let's see, ultra-low overhead and they get to do what they have always loved. Seems like a successful company to me.

-O

Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Mogrl

4E, monster wise, looks to be easier than 3E to convert to C&C. Haven't really looked at anything else, but at a glance I thought everything would still be pretty easy to convert. So being 4E in and of itself isn't why I would quit buying.

You really should consider giving Green Ronin more of a look and see. I just got their True 20 Revised (I've had the non revised PDF for a long time now) and I have to say it is a very neat system. Still far more complicated than C&C. I have lots of ideas for new things to try in C&C though.

What I think you will like about it is how you build your character yourself. There are no classes. Just 3 archetypes. Expert, warrior, and Adept. Your "class abilities" are built by you by selecting feats. 4 at first level and one every level there after.

Their Mutants and Masterminds has me playing a supers game for the first time ever, and having fun. Still, very complicated, but worth it so far.

As for Necromancer I think it is simply that Clark has no interest in C&C. I think if Bill were the decision maker Necromancer would do C&C stuff. Unfortunately Bill is just a partner, with no real control of what Necromancer does as a company.

So as much as I have loved the Necromancer mods, I don't see me buying much, if any, of their 4E mods. I certainly won't be buying 3 copies of each anymore.

Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:08 pm
Lore Drake

Quote:
I certainly won't be buying 3 copies of each anymore.

Gah Robert
Heh -- I don't buy three copies of even TLG stuff I love, excepting the PHB and M&T and that's for new printing (personally have 1 ea 2nd & 3rd PHB, 1 ea 1st and 2nd M&T - wife has a 3rd Printing PHB).

Ok, now you're just out-geeking me lol!

www.cncsociety.org

Dreamer of Ilshara

Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:35 pm
Profile WWW
Maukling

Omote wrote:
Let's see, ultra-low overhead and they get to do what they have always loved. Seems like a successful company to me.

-O

Spending 5 times as much as they need too on art, graphics, and layout cost and getting things printed is not low overhead.

Peter Bradley

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Battle Stag

gideon_thorne wrote:
Spending 5 times as much as they need too on art, graphics, and layout cost and getting things printed is not low overhead.

Eh, I dunno. Personally I think their artists were underpaid anways.
-O

Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Unkbartig

Considering Necro's motto is/was "3rd edition rules, 1st edition feel"* I'd say the whole paradyme of the company was "backwards design"! That's not even counting Wilderlands product....right?
Considering TLG's reasonableness with licensing I really can't see why it would hurt Necro to diversify their line a bit instead of all their eggs in the 4E basket. IMO, _that's_ a good business model.

Mike

*= So what will Necro's new motto be? "4th edition rules, 1st edition feel"?

Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:47 pm
Maukling

Omote wrote:
Eh, I dunno. Personally I think their artists were underpaid anways.
-O

Considering that Wizards is probably one of the few companies that pay more than Necro, I find that not at all plausible.

Peter Bradley

Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

sieg wrote:
Considering Necro's motto is/was "3rd edition rules, 1st edition feel"* I'd say the whole paradyme of the company was "backwards design"! That's not even counting Wilderlands product....right?
Considering TLG's reasonableness with licensing I really can't see why it would hurt Necro to diversify their line a bit instead of all their eggs in the 4E basket. IMO, _that's_ a good business model.

Mike

*= So what will Necro's new motto be? "4th edition rules, 1st edition feel"?

That is thing that gets me. Necro runs under the '1st edition feel' banner. But what has more 1e feel than C&C? It fits what they want to do like a glove. And yes the licensing is easy enough I feel they can afford to do this. One product to test the waters would be enough for me. If the one fails then they have every reason not to move on. But if it is a success, as I feel the C&C community would make it, then they are better off. And I feel that there are enough C&C fans wishing for them to do a C&C product that they wouldn't loose a thing for trying it.

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next