View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Necro/JG decision? 
Greater Lore Drake

gideon_thorne wrote:
Spending 5 times as much as they need too on art, graphics, and layout cost and getting things printed is not low overhead.

How much would they save in layout and writing time by using a C&C statblock vs. the massive 3e statblock?

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:23 am
Profile WWW
Lore Drake

Looks like interesting development from Necro on not being able to sign the GSL "as is" unless WotC clarifies and gives certain leeway on what the license entails.

I'm glad to see Clark Peterson address specifically the concerns with not allowing a single product like Tegel Manor to upend JG, and conversely James's Wilderlands as well.

Looks like Necromancer games will remain a bit in the air, as he seems to be reticent to publish any other system - man, he must have high production costs given what he says about the Pathfinder/3.x market being unviable for profit. It's weird he says "we have to spend more to improve our production quality," given where they already are.

Then again, there is, sadly, some logic to that -- the only primary roadblock I run into with C&C is the irrational reaction by young gamers on production - "the interior's all Black & White? No way man - you gotta have color-coded, with anime art and stat blocks that take up half a page. I need the dungeon layouts to be specific, grided in clear large squares, with full painted detail."

Example - standing in a bookstore perusing Gaming stuff. Two kids were picking up the 4e books. One asked "aw man, you think it's really gonna be better than 3.5?" They other flips through the PHB "hell yeah... just look at it!"

Ah well. I will buy James's Wilderlands stuff before any others anyway.

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:38 pm
Profile WWW
Mogrl

I recall a statement that the cover art piece, alone, cost something like $5000. That is normal for a Frazetta cover, though, regardless of number of copies sold -- it gets more as more are sold, since I believe they require a contract with royalties. They did last time I contacted them.

Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:48 pm
Unkbartig

Hmm. So, anyone know what 4X companies that leaves? Mongoose? Goodman (sorta)?

Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:16 pm
Mogrl

sieg wrote:
Hmm. So, anyone know what 4X companies that leaves? Mongoose? Goodman (sorta)?

Of those who actually print stuff outside of lulu? I think you have it covered.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2