Sell me on Wilderlands of High Fantasy

Where players gather to discuss the setting and game!
Galadrin
Hlobane Orc

Sell me on Wilderlands of High Fantasy

Post by Galadrin »

I usually do homebrew settings, but I like to know all my options. I've only been playing D&D since 2e (mostly in the then ubiquitous Forgotten Realms, which I didn't really like). After 2e, I pretty much dropped out of D&D (3e seemed to be all about big numbers and player power). I like my settings old school, and am a fan of Greyhawk, Dragonlance and Mystara.

So what does WHF offer? What really sells the setting, and what makes it unique? I know it's been around for quite a while, would it make a good old school setting for C&C? Also, is there a setting guidebook coming out for C&C? I only see a gazetteer coming through the magazine subscription ("Adventure Games Journal").

jamesmishler
Ulthal

Post by jamesmishler »

Quote:
So what does WHF offer? What really sells the setting, and what makes it unique?

The strongest "unique" element of the Wilderlands is that it is modular. The setting is such that there are no vast empires, only one falling one, and most of the lands are wilderness with small, sputtering sections of civilization. Most folk don't know what's over the next hill, let alone a hundred miles away, so when you want to drop in something of your own creation, there's no problems, and it can be done with minimal effort.

The Wilderlands also scales in style however you want. By default it is a dark sword & sorcery setting, but you can make it more high fantasy if you wish, or anime-style if you wish, or even science-fantasy a la Tekumel or Gamma World. The Wilderlands of High Fantasy Boxed Set provides you with all the materials needed to run the world, but you can decide what overall vision to apply to those bits.
Quote:
I know it's been around for quite a while, would it make a good old school setting for C&C?

The Wilderlands is THE "old school setting" to which all other settings are to be compared as "old school." So yes, it makes an ideal C&C setting, whether as the original Wilderlands of High Fantasy from Judges Guild and Necromancer Games or my own derived Wilderlands of High Adventure from Adventure Games Publishing.
Quote:
Also, is there a setting guidebook coming out for C&C? I only see a gazetteer coming through the magazine subscription ("Adventure Games Journal").

The Necromancer boxed set can be used as-is with C&C; the stats are extremely minimalist in most cases, or easily replaceable with almost no effort. You cna use the boxed set with the C&C PHB and M&T with no need for any additional products, ever. The Player's Guide to the Wilderlands from Necromancer Games can be adapted to C&C, though it was for ver3.5, with some work, and it has some details and information not available in the boxed set.

My company will release a revised version of the ver3.5 PGW, as well as a C&C version of the PGW; these books are separate and distinct from Adventure Games Journal and the Campaign Installments. AGJ, while it focuses on C&C and the WoHA, will also have articles for other games. The Campaign Installments consist of the Judges Guide to the various Regions of the Wilderlands of High Adventure. All are optional; as I said, the boxed set is all you will ever need.

As a side note I should clarify that the Wilderlands of High Adventure is my own version of the Wilderlands of High Fantasy; they are effectively Parallel Primes, but material from one setting is readily adaptable to the other.

Main Man, Adventure Games Publishing
[email protected]
http://adventuregamespublishing.blogspot.com/
http://jamesmishler.blogspot.com