View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Spell traps, another twist. 
Greater Lore Drake

Post Spell traps, another twist.
I was just creating a dungeon and remembered a "trap" type I used to use decades ago.

Basically it uses a an effect that is similar to a programmed illusion. An example: The PC's walk through a stone doorway in a dungeon. After the last person crosses the threshold the lintel glows (a random color) and hums for a second. A number of fist size glowing orbs (equal in number to the PCs) fly out and touch each PC either on the head or the chest and appear to sink into the body while making a moaning sound.

That's it. Afterwards the doors won't test positive for anything magical. However the PCs will probably start testing themselves. It's a great time and possible spell waster.

Put either shortly after entering the dungeon or right before entering an area with likelihood of combat.

House Rules

Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:58 pm
Mogrl

Post Re: Spell traps, another twist.
I used to do things like this with layered illusions and some low-tech cheating like color filters and mirrors so, even after using dispel magic (or whatever), they still weren't sure if they'd gotten it all. Even worse in S3 where real tech is involved.

Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:22 am
Greater Lore Drake

serleran wrote:
I used to do things like this with layered illusions and some low-tech cheating like color filters and mirrors so, even after using dispel magic (or whatever), they still weren't sure if they'd gotten it all. Even worse in S3 where real tech is involved.

Clever using the RL non-magic effects. S3, I'm glad that I got to play that without reading the module or having anyone tip me off about it. Sometimes I wish I could selectively blank some memories so I could play certain games again without foreknowledge.

House Rules

Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:17 pm
Unkbartig

Arduin wrote:
serleran wrote:

Clever using the RL non-magic effects. S3, I'm glad that I got to play that without reading the module or having anyone tip me off about it. Sometimes I wish I could selectively blank some memories so I could play certain games again without foreknowledge.

That is one of the hardest things for me to do, I get excited and enjoy reading through modules and setting up games to run that when we play through a module I'm familiar with it is hard to play the character without metagaming but what is harder is to enjoy the game as much as the other players who are unfamiliar like when we were taken into the tainted lands

Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:29 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Dracyian wrote:
Arduin wrote:
serleran wrote:

That is one of the hardest things for me to do, I get excited and enjoy reading through modules and setting up games to run that when we play through a module I'm familiar with it is hard to play the character without metagaming but what is harder is to enjoy the game as much as the other players who are unfamiliar like when we were taken into the tainted lands

Well, as I age I find that I've forgotten a few things that I read in the dim past. Maybe as I get even older all those books crowding my walls will become new again!

House Rules

Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]