Bronze age campaign

Where judges gather to discuss plots, devices and the games they play.
Utgardloki
Mist Elf

Bronze age campaign

Post by Utgardloki »

I've been planning to run a campaign set in Atlantis before the deluge. My idea is that this is basically a bronze age campaign, in which nobody knows how to work iron for weapons or armor. (In fact, only the Martians know how to make bronze, but there is considerable trade between Atlantis and Mars, over the path of Ygdrasl.)

The kobolds know how to make "kobold shirts" which are made out of cobalt, but good luck getting a kobold to make one for you. Elves and dwarves can work mithril, but that is very pricey. The Amazons know how to work a metal called osmiridium, but that is so rare that typically they just make bracers.

Thus, if PCs are going to get armor at all, it will probably be bronze.

Are there any good rules for handling combat with different metals? I'm thinking bronze is a lot heavier than iron or mithril (although lighter than osmiridium), and in a direct contest of strength, the harder metals have an advantage over metals that are not as hard.

Itlas
Mist Elf

Re: Bronze age campaign

Post by Itlas »

Utgardloki wrote:I've been planning to run a campaign set in Atlantis before the deluge. My idea is that this is basically a bronze age campaign, in which nobody knows how to work iron for weapons or armor. (In fact, only the Martians know how to make bronze, but there is considerable trade between Atlantis and Mars, over the path of Ygdrasl.)

The kobolds know how to make "kobold shirts" which are made out of cobalt, but good luck getting a kobold to make one for you. Elves and dwarves can work mithril, but that is very pricey. The Amazons know how to work a metal called osmiridium, but that is so rare that typically they just make bracers.

Thus, if PCs are going to get armor at all, it will probably be bronze.

Are there any good rules for handling combat with different metals? I'm thinking bronze is a lot heavier than iron or mithril (although lighter than osmiridium), and in a direct contest of strength, the harder metals have an advantage over metals that are not as hard.
If you want to make a Bronze age campaign I would suggest the handbooks of the series Mythic Vistas

Egyptian Adventures - Hamunaptra

Testament

The Hittites

Trojan War

They are all D20 System so the equipment you will find is 100% compatible with C&C

Or you can also take a look to the old HR6 - Age of Heroes for AD&D which is settled during Ancient Greece.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I suggest you cross post this in the Rules, Law & Chaos thread. This subforum is dedicated specifically to the Wilderlands of High Adventure materials that were produced for C&C at one time, so you may miss out on potential responses from people who don't check this subforum due to a lack of interest in the Wilderlands. The "Judge's Keep" title unfortunately tricks a lot of people into thinking this is a generic subforum for GMs to discuss GM stuff.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Utgardloki
Mist Elf

Post by Utgardloki »

Thanks. After I posted this, I realized I might be in the wrong forum.