Monster in progress: Advise wanted

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
Falinor
Mist Elf

Monster in progress: Advise wanted

Post by Falinor »

I am trying to flesh out a monster for my party to encounter. I want it to be challenging but not overwhelming. I also want the party to put some thought into how they are going handle the critter.

I got the name from from one of the Dresden Files books.

Gruffs

No. Encountered: 1-3

Size: Medium to Large

HD: 3(d8) to 7(d8)

Move: 20 feet

AC: 22

Attack: As per weapon and horn (2d6)

Special: immunity to magic, see below

Saves: Special

Int: Average

Alignment: Neutral

Type: Humanoid

Treasure: 3 (gold coins 55%; silver coins 35%, 10% wood)

XP Value: 300 + 5

The gruff is a humanoid goat like creature that stands from six to fifteen feet tall. It is covered with short bristlely fur. The hair is light brown color that takes a silver sheen in time. It has two straight, almost upright horns that are black in color. The horns are generally one to two feet in length. There eyes are

Gruffs have very powerful legs. They are able to jump up to 20 feet in any direction. They are surefooted because of the hoof on their feet. Their hands end in three hoof-like appendages that are able to hold items and weapons.

They normally are clothed in breach cloths and a belt with several pouches. They tend to collect items that catch their interest or will aid in digestion.

When the gruffs touch magic items, they drain the items of its magic. If the item is in the possession of a person, item gets a saving throw. The gruff must be in contact for the item for at least full round for the item to be drained. The magic item looses a level per round that the gruff is in contact with the item.

As the gruff obtains more magic, it grows in size and height, its fur takes on a more silvery tone and its magic resistance and saves increase.
Baron Falinor of Cherokee, Empire State of the South.

Ronin77
Red Cap

Re: Monster in progress: Advise wanted

Post by Ronin77 »

Falinor wrote:
I am trying to flesh out a monster for my party to encounter. I want it to be challenging but not overwhelming. I also want the party to put some thought into how they are going handle the critter.

I got the name from from one of the Dresden Files books.

I love the Dresden books. Love the Idea of a Gruff as a C&C monster.

Only thing I see is that maybe the 22 AC may be a bit high. That is just an opinion though.

My Gaming blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/
Joey Mullins AkA GamingRonin
My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/

Gritty6 (epic6)

Falinor
Mist Elf

Post by Falinor »

Yea, my players tend to steamroll monsters, maybe I need to lower the AC and toss more at them.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Okay...stuff that jumps out;

The AC does seem high, though depending on what level your player characters are it could be okay. If they are under 4th level, I'd bring it down to around 20 max.

Change "Horn" to "Gore" ...in essence the same thing but more descriptive of what the actual attack is.

With only a 20-feet movement, they are a bit slow for something with powerful legs. "Leap" could be a creature ability allowing the 20-feet jumps.

You note in the stat block that their saves are "Special" yet the follow up in the flavor text does not really expound upon this in detail, nor really gives a base from SR or save type base. Personally, I'd omit the increase saves and give a +1 or +2 SR per HD increase with a max of 10 or so.

XP should be "Varies" or listed by HD since the creature can increase its HD with the drain magic which would increase the XP award.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Falinor
Mist Elf

Post by Falinor »

Thank you very much.