The Prairie Goatsucker (Mexican Chupacabra)

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
clavis123
Ulthal

The Prairie Goatsucker (Mexican Chupacabra)

Post by clavis123 »

The Prairie Goatsucker represents the Mexican and mainland American Chupacabra, a coyote-like quadruped distinct from the more humanoid “El Chupacabras” of Puerto Rico (which is represented by the “Island Goatsucker”.) Why the beast changed form in its journey into Mexican folklore is unclear. Possibly, Mexicans (and Mexican-Americans) heard reports of the Puerto Rican creature on Spanish-language television, but failed to get (or remember) a complete description of the supposed monster. Perhaps seeing mangy and deformed coyotes and bears preying on goats and sheep in the night, the Mexican ranchers related their experiences to the reports from Puerto Rico. Of course, its more fun to believe that both beasts really exist.

Unless one owns livestock.

PRAIRIE GOATSUCKER (Mexican Chupacabra)
A lupine monster that haunts the plains, hungering for blood.

NO. ENCOUNTERED: 1
SIZE: M
HD: 3 (d8)
MOVE: 50 ft
AC: 14
ATTACKS: 2 claws (1d3), 1 Bite (1d8)
SPECIAL: Trip, Scent, Drain Blood, Jump, Sulfurous Stench, Twilightvision, Darkvision 90 ft.
SAVES: P
INT: Animal
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
TYPE: Beast
TREASURE: 3
XP: 70+3

The Prairie Goatsucker resembles a large, hairless, and vaguely reptilian wolf in overall shape. Unlike a mundane wolf, a spiny ridge runs along the creature's back, and a pair of large tusk-like fangs protrude from the sides of its mouth. The skin of the face is very tightly drawn over the skull, and the eyes are sunken into their sockets. When the beast opens its mouth a sharply pointed tongue can be seen. The claws are sharp like those of a cat, although not retractable. The creature's tail is long and rat-like. The Prairie Chupacabra is usually grayish in overall color, although individual specimens can have a violet, blue, brown, or greenish cast.

The beast is nocturnal and solitary, preferring dry continental grasslands and scrubland (unlike the lush isles where the humanoid Island Goatsucker is found). Like the Island Goatsucker, the Prairie Goatsucker prefers to dwell on the edge of pastoral land, where it has a ready supply of domestic animals to eat. Unlike the more intelligent Island Goatsucker, however, the Prairie variety shows no particular interest in also living near astronomical observatories.

It is unclear if the Prairie Goatsucker is actually related to the Island variety, or if their shared traits are simply coincidental. Some sages speculate that both monsters share an origin in some strange corner of the Universe, among the stars.

Combat: The Prairie Goatsucker will only attack under cover of darkness, and only when it feels it has an advantage. In such circumstances it will emit its Sulfurous Stench, and swiftly pounce. It will try to grab a victim with its claws, and fasten its fangs in order to drink blood.

Trip: A Prairie Goatsucker can bring opponents to the ground in a manner similar to a wolf. Bitten opponents who fail a save versus Dexterity have been pulled off their balance, and will automatically lose imitative the next round

Drain Blood: If a single creature is hit by all three of the Prairie Goatsucker's attacks, the beast will automatically drain blood the next round, resulting in 1 point of Constitution damage. It will continue to drain blood every round, unless the victim succeeds in a Strength check to break free (CR3)

Jump: The Prairie Goatsucker can jump up to 10 feet upwards and 20 feet forwards. It will often suddenly jump into a combat, and is just as quick to jump away if it encounters a challenging fight.

Sulfurous Stench: Once a day the Prairie Chupacabra can emit a smell equal in effect to a Stinking Cloud, although not obscuring sight in any way. The stench is only potentially hazardous for 3 rounds, but a smell of sulfur can linger in the area for a much longer time.
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: The Prairie Goatsucker (Mexican Chupacabra)

Post by Lurker »

Nice, this has just been added to a perfect little place in my home-brew! thanks!!!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Awesome. Now I have some statistics for a creature in a Dragonlance game I am running; the infamous Kender Goatsucker bird!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Good stuff. :)

James Mishler also has a version of the Chupacabra in one of his C&C Monstrous Menaces supplements (FYI).

clavis123
Ulthal

Post by clavis123 »

kreider204 wrote:Good stuff. :)

James Mishler also has a version of the Chupacabra in one of his C&C Monstrous Menaces supplements (FYI).
Thanks. I'm interested in how James' version differs from my versions (since I distinguish between the Puerto Rican and Mexican Chupacabras).

I'm personally fascinated on how the legend has evolved over time. I remember hearing about the the first wave of Chupacabra sightings in the 90s, and how it was a pop culture phenomenon in the Puerto Rican community. Only some years later did people in other Latin American countries hear about, and claim to encounter the creature.

One interesting thing for me is that Puerto Rico is home to the Arecibo Observatory, and is a hotbed of UFO sightings. The Puerto Rican "El Chupacabras" (the name was originally spelled with the "s" at the end) therefore looks like the "gray" alien of American UFO folklore. The Chupacabra of Mexican folklore, on the other hand takes its shape from the coyote, itself a long standing subject of native legend, mythology, and folklore.

Of course, it's possible that the name of "Chupacabra" has simply been adopted for a wolf-like cryptid which was previously known by other names in Mexico and the Southwest.
Daniel James Hanley

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

clavis123 wrote: Thanks. I'm interested in how James' version differs from my versions.
James put a fantasy twist on it - it's more like a small goblin, even kobold-like, but it has hound minions. So, pretty different. :)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Yep, nice!

The Chicago Chupacabra seen around Rush & Division Streets look like huge monstrous rat/humanoids with long and narrow sharp teeth and they have long snake like tails. They will eat ANYTHING including Mexican/Puerto Rican Chups, pizza, Italian beef and suburbanites. :shock:
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

clavis123
Ulthal

Post by clavis123 »

Rhuvein wrote:Yep, nice!

The Chicago Chupacabra seen around Rush & Division Streets look like huge monstrous rat/humanoids with long and narrow sharp teeth and they have long snake like tails.
Sounds like some of the actual RATS in and around NYC!
Rhuvein wrote: They will eat ANYTHING including Mexican/Puerto Rican Chups, pizza, Italian beef and suburbanites. :shock:
I keep hearing wonderful things about Chicago Italian Beef, but I've never had a chance to get out that way and try it. Speaking of Chicago, anybody know any local legends from that area that could be translated as monsters? Resurrection Mary was one of the influences on my Phantom Traveler, but are there any others only locals know about?
Daniel James Hanley

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

clavis123 wrote:I keep hearing wonderful things about Chicago Italian Beef, but I've never had a chance to get out that way and try it.
Indeed. There are many excellent beef shacks . . Al's on Taylor Street, Portillos (local chain), Carmen's, Pop's and Max's on Western Ave. among others that I can't recall right now.

But for those that can't get this way, try this Italian Beef that you can get at some supermarkets and Walmart's.

Very, very close to the top IB shacks in Chicago. They roast real Chicago Chupacabras. I buy this stuff and roast my garden bell peppers to add into the sandwich!

http://www.papacharlies.com/beef-up-you ... -charlies/

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth