The Maniac Revenant, or Slasher

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
clavis123
Ulthal

The Maniac Revenant, or Slasher

Post by clavis123 »

The Maniac Revenant is obviously an interpretation of the iconic (or even stereotypical) psycho killer of modern “Slasher” films. I've given it abilities that will cause encounters with the creature to resemble the action in such movies. Everyone suddenly becomes stupid once they encounter the killer, only the abstinent are safe, somehow the killer manages to get in front of you when you're running away from him, and you can never be sure the maniac is actually dead. Of course, a prostitute-hating Maniac Revenant could also be encountered in a Victorian Gothic campaign, haunting the East End of London. Perhaps young lovers need to be on the lookout for a deathless madman with a hook in place of a hand...

MANIAC REVENANT (Slasher, Ripper)
A relentless killer undeterred by death.

NO. ENCOUNTERED: 1
SIZE: M
HD: 10 (d12)
MOVE: 30 ft.
AC: 10 (or by armor type)
ATTACKS: 1 Weapon (by weapon type, + bonuses due to Strength and using a Signature Weapon)
SPECIAL: Cause Stupefying Fear, Signature Weapon, Maniac Strength, Hide, Dimension Door, Track, Hatred of Sex, Prohibited Prey, Reanimation, Fatal Weakness, Limited Undead Traits, Twilightvision
SAVES: P
INT: Low – Exceptional
ALIGNMENT: Lawful Evil
TYPE: Undead (Unique)
TREASURE: 10
XP: 3900+10

Maniac Revenants, also known as Slashers and Rippers, are former human murderers who have undergone a mysterious change that transforms them into nearly unstoppable killing machines. They still look basically human. A Maniac Revenant appears to have a pulse, to breathe and otherwise to be alive. A Maniac Revenant does not age, however, nor does one need to sleep, drink, or eat (although some may consume human flesh as a compulsion, in the manner of a Ghoul). Maniac Revenants are not affected by sunlight in any way, and can be damaged by poison and noxious gases. Otherwise, they have most of the traits common to the Undead. Most disturbing is the Maniac Revenant's ability to reanimate after being apparently killed.

Every Maniac Revenant once experienced a trauma (such as a personal loss, or extreme abuse) that drove them mad, and turned them into a killer. The Maniac Revenant’s obsession with their past trauma ultimately costs him his soul, but binds his mind to his body. He becomes literally unable to die, and compelled to continue murdering. For reasons unknown, most Maniac Revenants are male.

Maniac Revenant often wear a mask, helmet, or other disguise. It is not unusual for a Maniac Revenant to hide a deformed visage under their mask. Some Maniac Revenant go so far as to wear masks made of other people's faces, or even wear human skins as clothing or armor. Likewise, a Maniac Revenant’s body may show the evidence of many deaths and subsequent reanimations.

A Maniac Revenant's lair will usually bear witness to their madness, and frequently features some kind of personal shrine relating to their past trauma. For example, a Maniac Revenant that killed his mother may keep one of her body parts in a jar of alcohol, while one who was disfigured by his first love may have a dress she wore, propped up and surrounded by candles.

Combat: Maniac Revenants are relentless combatants with an irresistible compulsion to murder. If they retreat it is only to gain a tactical advantage. They will usually stalk their victims from the shadows, in order to attack with surprise. The Maniac Revenant's ability to Cause Stupefying Fear means that its opponents will often do incredibly stupid things, all but guaranteeing that the Slasher will kill them.

Cause Stupefying Fear: The first time a person encounters a Maniac Revenant she must Save versus Wisdom or temporarily lose 1d4 points of both Intelligence and Wisdom due to extreme terror. The Attribute loss persists for as long as the Slasher pursues the victim. If the Maniac Revenant is killed (however temporarily) or turns from pursuit of a potential victim, that person regains their lost Intelligence and Wisdom, and is thereafter immune to Stupefying Fear from any Maniac Revenant.

Signature Weapon: Every Maniac Revenant has a particular weapon or class of weapons that he favors, and will use whenever possible. Typical choices include hooks, saws, machetes, axes, surgical tools, and pickaxes. Similar to the benefits of a Fighter's Weapon Specialization, Maniac Revenants enjoy a +2 bonus to hit and damage when using their Signature Weapons.

Maniac Strength: Maniac Revenants have Strength scores of 20, and enjoy a +4 bonus attacks and damage in melee, as well as to Saving throws and Attribute checks.

Hide: Maniac Revenants can Hide as a 10th Level Rogue with Dexterity as a Prime Attribute.

Dimension Door: Once a day a Maniac Revenants can use Dimension Door, typically to appear in front of a victim he is chasing. Typically, the victim will think she has lost the Maniac Revenant, only to turn a corner and be confronted with the monster.

Track: A Maniac Revenant has the Tracking ability of an 10th Level Ranger with Wisdom as a Prime Attribute.

Hatred of Sex: A Maniac Revenant will always target those who have recently engaged in sexual activity, before any other potential victims. Maniac Revenants of either gender are particularly apt to target attractive young women with large breasts and loose morals. Maniac Revenants are drawn to places commonly used for assignations, such as scenic lookouts, alleyways, inns, and parked coaches.

Prohibited Prey: Each Maniac Revenant has a type of person that he will not attack. Examples of Prohibited Prey can include children, clergy, or poor people. The Prohibited Prey will often be a type of person who once tried to help the Maniac Revenant, or who the Maniac Revenant identifies with, depending on the nature of the Maniac Revenant's past trauma.

Reanimation: Unless a Maniac Revenant's body is completely destroyed (by fire, acid, disintegration, or similar means), killing him simply causes his body to become dormant for a period of time. The period of dormancy can last anywhere from a few minutes to years, but the Maniac Revenant will inevitably return. Even such normally final deaths as beheading or the removal of major organs will not end a Maniac Revenant who retains his body otherwise intact. The only way to permanently kill a Maniac Revenant without obliterating the body is to exploit his Fatal Weakness.

Fatal Weakness: Each Maniac Revenant has a unique way in which they may be permanently killed. The Fatal Weakness is usually connected in some way to the trauma that created the Maniac Revenant. Examples of Fatal Weaknesses include:
  • Can be killed by a particular type of person (such as a virgin or True Innocent).
  • Can be killed with a particular object (such as his own Signature Weapon).
  • Can be killed at a particular time of day (such as the time he was born)
  • Can be killed in a particular place (such as his childhood home)
Limited Undead Traits: Maniac Revenant are immune to paralysis, Sleep, and all mind-affecting magic, such as Charm and Fear spells. Unlike other Undead, they can be poisoned, and affected by gases. Maniac Revenant so killed, however, will simply reanimate at a later date. If the CK uses a system of Critical Hits, Maniac Revenants are subject to them.
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: The Maniac Revenant, or Slasher

Post by Lurker »

Again, good work.

I can't see this in a normal game, but oh boy what fun for a surprise horror one off game.

Well, maybe even in a normal game with your reference to a Jack the ripper type monster ...

Anyone for a good October/Halloween game?
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Post by DeadReborn »

This is killer (pun intended)! Between this and the Book of the Restless Dead, you've given me some great ideas for my Ravenloft game. Thanks for sharing.
"My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!
Which means...I AM A LEVEL TEN WIZARD!"-SpongeBob SquarePants

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Post by DeadReborn »

Come to think of it, I could see this being used in the Tainted Lands as well. :twisted:
"My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!
Which means...I AM A LEVEL TEN WIZARD!"-SpongeBob SquarePants

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Ha, I love the "hatred of sex" bit. Nice touch. :lol:

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Yeah, this is all kinds of awesome. So appropriate for the season as well. Nice work Clav!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

Clavis123,

This is absolutely diabolical! I love it! :twisted:

Jason, Freddy, and the Valentines Day slasher guy all rolled into one. I need to save this one for the future to use when I run a "horrorific" game night.
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

Awesome! The Dimension Door is another nice touch
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Well done!

And I like the fatal weaknesses . . . but ~

he's still rather powerful - per the movies.

So, remember in most of the slasher movies that the victims never seemed to turn on lights or the power was cut or some other lack of lighting sillyness.

How about light does minor damage or negates several abilities or dis-orients the slasher (praps negating AC or something other).

Hmm, light can stun for a round. Fire can stun and damage. Flashlight in the eyes drops the slasher and he is prone. Etc. Haven't thought of all the possibilities, but I think you get the idea.

8-)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

The fire causing stun seems right. It never seems to killr the slasher villians, but does seem to make them pause and flail about.

clavis123
Ulthal

Post by clavis123 »

Hmmmm.

Perhaps add the following :

Photophobia: Sudden exposure to bright light, or any damage from fire, causes the Maniac Revenant to automatically lose initiative the next round.

If he's used for Modern campaigns I'd definitely give the Maniac Revenant the ability to Delay Device.

Delay Device: Any time a mechanical or technological device is used to escape, attack, reveal, or otherwise hinder a Maniac Revenant (no matter the distance), the user must first succeed at a DC10 Wisdom check before the device will function correctly. Examples of the ability's effect include: automobiles failing to start, guns misfiring, electric lights failing to turn on, computers crashing during searches about the Maniac's history, and cell phones losing signal. Low tech items are immune, so naturally the best way to fight a Maniac Reverent is with a hand-held weapon. Research about the Maniac will probably necessitate looking through old books and newspapers at the most archaic library possible.
Daniel James Hanley

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Again NICE!

If you are going for a good suspension building horror, even in an archaic setting, you could use the "delay Device" to frustrate the players in the research. Especially with the stupefying fear in effect. Something like "where is that tome you remember reading about the legend of Sir Galmish? You know it was somewhere in the basement of this library. Make an int check and remember for some reason you just don't feel as bright as you normally are". Little do they know the book is setting on the chair that they covered with their cloaks when they came in .
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

clavis123
Ulthal

Post by clavis123 »

Lurker wrote:Again NICE!

If you are going for a good suspension building horror, even in an archaic setting, you could use the "delay Device" to frustrate the players in the research. Especially with the stupefying fear in effect. Something like "where is that tome you remember reading about the legend of Sir Galmish? You know it was somewhere in the basement of this library. Make an int check and remember for some reason you just don't feel as bright as you normally are". Little do they know the book is setting on the chair that they covered with their cloaks when they came in .
Works for me! I'm definitively a "rules-are-guidelines-meant-to-be-interpreted-broadly" type of Game Master. Whatever works to make the game more fun and exciting is what I'll do, and I don't care what's written on the page that says I can't! Its an attitude that's less than popular with "optimizers" and "min-maxers"!
Daniel James Hanley