Dragon Attacks

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
Lobo316
Ulthal

Dragon Attacks

Post by Lobo316 »

From M&T...

"Dragons do not add their full hit dice when making attack rolls; a dragon adds one-half of its hit dice to attack rolls. Dragons do, however, add their full hit dice to saving throw rolls, plus the bonus set forth in the age chart."

Why is this? Why are dragons treated differently in this regard? Is this with all thier attack rolls (including breath weapon)? or just claws/tail, etc?

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Dragon Attacks

Post by Arduin »

Breath weapons don't roll to hit. They simply affect a given area. Much like Fireball & Lightening bolts...
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I'm not sure the reasoning behind this, but dragons with full HD attack would be even better death machines then they are now. If you need to make an attack roll for any reason, only use 1/2 of their HD, even if you use this for breath weapons and the like.

It's also worth a note that full-on demons found in Monsters & Treasures of Aihrde do not follow this rule. Things like the Mogrl are devestating in their attacks because they add full HD numbers to their attack rolls.

I guess it's best to say that dragons are just, different.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Obviously only the trolls can say for sure but my guess is the multiple attacks [claw, claw, bite, wing buffet, tail slap] at 20-30HD [that's +20-30 to hit] made grown men cry.

-Mike

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Making grown men soil their armor is more like it. I suppose if I wanted tougher dragons I could have eliminated the half hit die bonus rule. Instead, I went for larger hit dice. :twisted:

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

I would love to hear from one of the trolls, especially in light of this rule not applying to some of those monsters Omote pointed out (full on demons, Morgrl).

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

In playtesting it was determined that a dragon that added its full hit dice to attack rolls made it too powerful, thus the decision was made to reduce the bonus to 1/2. The Trolls, especially Serleran, will tell you much the same thing.

I don't have a copy of M&ToA so I don't know what the devil stats are like, but I believe it's not done for devils since they don't have the plethora of physical attacks in most cases that a dragon does.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

The assumed maximum for AC was 30 (equivalent to AD&D's -10). A dragon that added HD would mean, virtually, that it hit all the time. So, either HD was reduced, which was my original intent or that they were left alone (as they became) but I suggested that the attack value be different so that PCs had a chance, albeit a slim one, that the dragon "could" miss. Remember, C&C has no default rule about natural 1 or 20... so even on a 1, with a +30 bonus it means the dragon will still hit you.

It appears the assumed max AC has since been abandoned, but I would still argue that the HD bonus should remain as it is. After all, the most fearsome attack the dragon has doesn't need a roll... or well, not an attack roll: breath weapon.

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

Thanks for the replies on this one guys.