A Monster from the TSR Days!! Feedback Requested

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
Lobo316
Ulthal

A Monster from the TSR Days!! Feedback Requested

Post by Lobo316 »

Howdy Gang, for you old timers out there, do you remember the Mud Men from UK1 Beyond the Crystal Cave? The following is an excerpt from thier write up as they appeared int the module. After the excerpt, find my questions (and thanks for reading and any feedback)....

Mud-men attack by hurling mud at their opponents, who are considered as AC 10 (modified by dexterity) for the purposes of determining hits. The mud hardens on impact and slows the movement of the victim. At first the mud-men hurl only blobs of mud (maximum range 6"). These slow the movement rate of the victim by 1" if they hit. However, while hurling blobs of mud, the mud-men move towards their opponents at their full movement rate.

Once within 1" they will hurl themselves (literally) rather than a mere blob. A successful hit means the death of the mud-man but also slows the victim's movement by 4". A miss means that the mud-man must spend the next round reforming to be ready to attack again.

Once a victim's movement rate is reduced to zero or below he becomes unable to move, even to wipe the mud from his face, and begins to suffocate, taking 1-8 points of damage per round until his mouth and/or nose are cleared. The victim will die from suffocation after five rounds unless rescued.

The hardened mud can be broken away from wholly or partially immobilized creatures. In this manner movement can be restored at a rate of 1" per five rounds.

Now, obviously, I did not include thier full stats and write up, as my question has to do with the attack and effects. Going back to the day, was 1" the equivilent to a 5 foot "step" in C&C? Did they do it in inches back then, so that a hit by a mudman throwing a glob of mud would reduce your move by 5 "feet" in C&C (as opposed to 1" back then)? How would you do this in C&C?

Off the cuff, I have a hit from a glob reducing movement by 5 feet, and the "hurl" attack reducing movement by 15 feet. I also have the braking the hardened mud away as a CL3 and for every point you pass the check by, 5 feet of movement is restored OR a breathing hole is cleared.

Thanks!

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Re: A Monster from the TSR Days!! Feedback Requested

Post by Arduin »

5' per inch is correct. So, the 4" would be 20' in C&C.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

Arduin wrote:5' per inch is correct. So, the 4" would be 20' in C&C.
Yep, that's what I thought. I made it 15 feet, just in case the full 20 what to muchtranslated to C&C, though I may keep it the full 20.

On the suffocation, I made it 5 rounds + con mod, does that around acceptable?

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Lobo316 wrote: On the suffocation, I made it 5 rounds + con mod, does that around acceptable?
That sounds reasonable. Make sure to figure these powers into the XP award. I remember these guys and they can wreak havoc with a party...
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules