View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Now that Classic Monsters is out 
Greater Lore Drake

Post Re: Now that Classic Monsters is out
Desrimal wrote:
I assume it's easier to convert monsters from d&d 3.5, rather than AD&D 1st. What source do you use?

I would like to see your C&C beholder stats if it's not to much trouble.

MUCH easier to convert from older versions of D&D such as AD&D1e or the RC. Excellent guidelines follow:

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 8d5e63a6bf

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:51 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Desrimal wrote:
I assume it's easier to convert monsters from d&d 3.5, rather than AD&D 1st. What source do you use?

I use whichever one I like better for a particular monster. Converting from either is easy really. AC, HD, spells, etc. are similar enough.

I don't have the beholder in electronic form, only paper elsewhere. When I dig it up I'll post on this thread. The only real decision to make was giving it Mental not Physical as "primes". Everything was almost direct conversion.

House Rules

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:03 pm
Mogrl

Desrimal wrote:

C&C has its own "Prysmal Eye", which is MUCH deadlier. So much so I had a party of 6 12th to 14th level PC's run away from it every time they saw it. What they never figured out was the only reason they saw it is because it wanted to talk to them, not kill them. Which should have been obvious to them, because if a Prysmal Eye wants to kill you, you won't see it until it has started doing so.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Mogrl

Arduin wrote:
Desrimal wrote:

I use whichever one I like better for a particular monster. Converting from either is easy really. AC, HD, spells, etc. are similar enough.

I don't have the beholder in electronic form, only paper elsewhere. When I dig it up I'll post on this thread. The only real decision to make was giving it Mental not Physical as "primes". Everything was almost direct conversion.

Yep, HD = its BtH, its own level to add to saves and any other checks, and CL to save versus its eye powers. AC is easy to convert. From there you use its eye powers pretty much as written. A very easy conversion.

For Mind Flayers I use the 2E magic version as my conversion base line. I don't do psionics.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:26 pm
Mogrl

The prysmal eye is more deadly than many dragons when their full abilities are utilized.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:13 am
Mogrl

serleran wrote:
The prysmal eye is more deadly than many dragons when their full abilities are utilized.

I can definitely agree with that.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:58 am
Ungern

Thank you all very much! The link that Breakdaddy provided was just the sort of thing I was looking for.

Guitarist in Rust Age (old-school rock)
http://www.rustage.dk
http://itunes.apple.com/dk/artist/rust-age/id460786336

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:29 pm
Ungern

Here it is: The first attempt from Desrimal the converter!

Displacer Beast

NO. ENCOUNTERED: 1-4
SIZE: Large
HD: 6 (d10)
MOVE: 50 ft.
AC: 15 (17)
ATTACKS: 2 tentacles (1d6)
1 bite (1d8)
SPECIAL: Blur, Darkvision 60 ft.
SAVES: P
INT: Inferior
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
TYPE: Magical Beast
TREASURE: 4
XP: 180 + 6

A displacer beast looks like a large black panther with six legs and a pair of 6' long tentacles growing from its shoulders. The horny edges of the tentacles are brownish yellow, and its eyes glow a hellish green.

Combat: A displacer beast is a vicious predator, always searching for prey, either alone or in small packs. It attacks with its bite as well as its tentacles, which have sharp hornlike edges.

Blur: A displacer beast's skin bends light rays, so the creature always appears to be 3' from its actual position (left, right, ahead, or behind). This grants the displacer beast a +2 bonus to armor class. A see invisibility does not counteract the blur effect, but a true seeing spell does. Opponents who cannot see the displacer beast ignore this effect.

I've used a combination of 3.5, 1st edition and Rules Cyclopedia for this. Please comment!
BTW: Sorry for hijacking the thread :)

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:03 pm
Ulthal

Desrimal wrote:
Have anybody made a C&C version of these classic D&D monsters:

Mind Flayer
Beholder
Displacer Beast
Carrion Crawler
Umber Hulk

There are versions of the carrion crawler in M&T and CM (though the CM one is closer). The former is called the Fleshcrawler, and the latter is called the Cadaver Caterpillar (note the errata - the AC wasn't converted properly, and there's a discrepancy b/t the listed Attacks (8, no damage) and the description (in which it gives 6 antennae attacks, 1d2 each)).

Here's my displacer beast:

DISPLACER BEAST

NO. ENCOUNTERED: 2-5
HD: 6 (d8)
MOVE: 40 ft.
AC: 18
ATTACKS: 2 Tentacles (2d4 each)
SPECIAL: Darkvision 60 ft., SR 6
INT: Inferior
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
TYPE: Magical Beast
TREASURE: 5
XP: 180 + 6/hp

These beasts look somewhat like large pumas, but with two spiked tentacles emerging from their shoulders, which they use to attack during combat (rather than with claws or bite, strangely enough). Their bizarre molecular makeup causes them to appear a few feet from their actual position, making them harder to hit during combat (already factored into their AC) and more resistant to magic (SR 6). They hate all living things, especially blink dogs, which they will attack on sight.

Here's my umber hulk:

UMBER HULK

NO. ENCOUNTERED: 1-4
HD: 8 (d10)
MOVE: 20 ft. (10 – 20 ft. burrow)
AC: 18
ATTACKS: 2 Claws (2d4 each), 1 Bite (1d10)
SPECIAL: Darkvision 60 ft., Confusion
INT: Average
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic Evil
TYPE: Monstrous Humanoid
TREASURE:
XP:

Umber hulks are subterranean creatures capable of burrowing through the earth (20 ft. through soil, 10 ft. through solid rock). They are aggressive, attacking with their claws and bite.

Confusion: Anyone looking an umber hulk square in their four eyes must save or be confused for 3d4 rounds.

I mocked up a near-version of the mind flayer:

SOUL SHREDDER

NO. ENCOUNTERED: 1-4, 11-20
SIZE: Medium
HD: 9 (d8)
MOVE: 30 ft.
AC: 15
ATTACKS: Bite (1d10), Weapon
SPECIAL: Soul Blast, Spellcasting, Darkvision 60 ft., SR 19
SAVES: M
INT: Genius
ALIGNMENT: Lawful Evil
TYPE: Aberration
TREASURE: 9
XP: 800 + 9/hp

Soul Shredders are a subterranean race of humanoids so rare that they are thought by many to be nothing more than myth. From a distance, one might mistake them for human, but upon closer inspection, their hairless bodies, black eyes, and mottled grey skin give them away. Their mouths, when closed, appear relatively normal, except for the seams extending from the corners of their mouths almost to their ears. In combat, they are capable of spreading their mouths wide open, revealing mandibles with several rows of tiny razor-sharp teeth. Soul Shredders are thoroughly evil and precisely organized; only their small numbers currently prevent them from moving to the surface to begin world domination.

Combat: Soul Shredders prefer to defeat foes through the use of intelligence whenever possible, and are great fans of cruel and devious traps; however, they are not averse to physical combat when necessary. Although their bites are vicious, they generally reserve them for foes who attempt to grapple or otherwise move in too close. They are handy with a variety of weapons, preferring those with hooks, barbs, or spikes of some sort.

Soul Blast: Once per day, a Soul Shredder is capable of sending out a massive surge of psychic power at a single target in sight within a 100 ft. range. This blast bypasses any physical protection such as armor, and does 3d8 damage; furthermore, the target must make an Intelligence save or be affected as per the Insanity spell.

Spellcasting: Soul Shredders are able to cast spells as a 9th level Illusionist (including bonus for an 18 Intelligence). Specific spells vary from individual to individual, but spells that control thoughts, emotions, and behavior (e.g., Charm Person, Fear, Mass Suggestion) are a favorite.

Enjoy.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:33 pm
Mogrl

One of these days I'll post my mind flumpher... and yes, that means it is based on the dread flumph.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:01 pm
Ungern

Thank you Kreider. Great conversions. I'll give my Displacer Beast Spell Resistance as well.

Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:38 pm
Ulthal

I'd like to see a pdf of all the various monsters from different projects that TLG published that DIDN'T get into M&T, M&T of Airdhe, or Classic Monsters compiled in one place. I'm thinking about the creatures in Gods and Monsters, the Black Libram, and the various modules, etc. It'd be nice to have them in one place so you didn't have to flip through a dozen or so books to find that one you were looking for from memory.

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next