Monster Reach

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
Lobo316
Ulthal

Monster Reach

Post by Lobo316 »

Is anyone using any sort of reach attribute for large monsters? Like ogres, etc. If so, how are you implimenting?

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Monster Reach

Post by Arduin »

For ogres, nothing. For a Hill giant I add 5' feet (1 square).
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I've been toying around in the back of my head with the idea of an initiative bonus of some sort for creatures that have obvious reach advantages be it due to size or lengthy appendages such as the ever popular tentacle.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Any human-like creature of Large size, like an ogre or giant, is considered to have "reach" as per the rule for pole-arms in my game. That means they get first attack when someone smaller (or without reach) engages them in melee. A human with a pole-arm vs. the ogre nullifies this and initiative is determined normally -- in other words, no advantage to either side.

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

serleran wrote:Any human-like creature of Large size, like an ogre or giant, is considered to have "reach" as per the rule for pole-arms in my game. That means they get first attack when someone smaller (or without reach) engages them in melee. A human with a pole-arm vs. the ogre nullifies this and initiative is determined normally -- in other words, no advantage to either side.
Brilliant! 8-)