Monstrous Strength

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
Lobo316
Ulthal

Monstrous Strength

Post by Lobo316 »

This is something that's bothered me on and off for a bit, using the ogre as an example, his stat block states that he does 1d10 or by weapon. So, if I give him a 1d8 battle axe, he now does less damage? How to you reflect the strength of obviously physically strong monsters? Do you grant an arbitrary bonus? Base it on the HD of the monster? Something different?

redwullf
Ulthal

Re: Monstrous Strength

Post by redwullf »

Using your ogre as an example, the M&T entry specifically states "+3 damage" for the "by weapon" option, so there should be no confusion. If you're concerned about to hit bonuses, don't be. These are reflected in the monster's BTH from their Hit Dice. In this case it's a normal attack roll for the ogre's HD, and the battle axe will do 1d8+3 (4-11) damage, which is better than the 1d10 fist.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

During our campaign, the CK gave monstrously strong monsters a knock back effect. It was surprisingly fun, though our ranger who served as our primary tank didn't think so much of it after bouncing off the wall a couple times from an ogre we fought. :)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Giant-sized weapons are also supposed to inflict damage greater than normal, so an ogre using an axe made for him would likely deal 2d8+3; his punch (kick / head butt / knee / elbow / whatever) does normal damage... unless he's got a cestus and then it gets complex.

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

redwullf wrote:Using your ogre as an example, the M&T entry specifically states "+3 damage" for the "by weapon" option, so there should be no confusion. If you're concerned about to hit bonuses, don't be. These are reflected in the monster's BTH from their Hit Dice. In this case it's a normal attack roll for the ogre's HD, and the battle axe will do 1d8+3 (4-11) damage, which is better than the 1d10 fist.
What printing are you looking at? I'm looking at a 3rd printing copy, but have a 4th printing at home. The 3rd printing does say anything like that?

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Lobo316 wrote:
redwullf wrote:Using your ogre as an example, the M&T entry specifically states "+3 damage" for the "by weapon" option, so there should be no confusion. If you're concerned about to hit bonuses, don't be. These are reflected in the monster's BTH from their Hit Dice. In this case it's a normal attack roll for the ogre's HD, and the battle axe will do 1d8+3 (4-11) damage, which is better than the 1d10 fist.
What printing are you looking at? I'm looking at a 3rd printing copy, but have a 4th printing at home. The 3rd printing does say anything like that?
Must be 4th printing then (not sure how to tell). It's a PDF copy:

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

redwullf wrote:
Lobo316 wrote:
Must be 4th printing then (not sure how to tell). It's a PDF copy:

Sweet. Looked in my copy at home...sure enough! Thanks!!!

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Dragon, Vol. V, No 6, Leomund's Tiny Hut, "Monsters: How Strong is Strong?" Laid out the strength of darn near everything way back then and all the newer stuff had stats for everything. In next run of M&T could add STR where needed? On a similar note, why not just put the score (range) for INT rather than a word?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

In answer to your questions attribute scores are not necessary with the rules as written to use the monsters. Nothing is stopping you from using attribute scores in your game, and in fact I generate DEX scores on the spot for monsters in conflicts. However the Trolls do not see attribute scores as necessary, so don't expect to EVER see them in Monsters & Treasure.

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

If I feel a critter's dmg isn't properly represented in it's entry, or if I want a badder bad guy for a specific encounter I award the critter extra damage equal to 1/2 their HD. Or if they are a really bad guy, additional damage equal to their HD. So in the ogre example, if it was Morthrac the corrupted Durac (a major ogre villain in my campaign) He would deal 1 weapon damage +3 (as stated in the ogre stat block) + 4 (his HD).