Berserkers

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
Lobo316
Ulthal

Berserkers

Post by Lobo316 »

Greetings All!

Just sharing a "monster" I converted from AD&D. I was looking for some low level "rage style" barbarian types (since the PC class from the 3rd printing doesn't actually get this ability until level 3). Yes, I could just "create one", but thought I'd delve into some of the old books to see what I could find. How many people remember the Berserker, from the AD&D Monster Manual!

BERSERKER
NO. ENCOUNTERED: 10-100
SIZE: Med
HD: 1-3 (d8)
MOVE: 30 ft.
AC: 13 (hide armor)
ATTACKS: By Weapon
SPECIAL: Two melee attacks, or a single melee strike at +2
SAVES: P
INT: Average
ALIGNMENT: Neutral
TYPE: Human
TREASURE: 2
XP: 5+1/10+2/20+3

Berserkers only wear light armors (leathers and hides) If they wear heavier armors, they lose their special attacks.

Note: In the AD&D version, he had 2-7 hit points. Not sure how that translates exactly into "HD", but figured a low level creature, and gave him 1-3 "HD" with a HD value of d8. The original also, from the description, "scorn armor". But I decided to interpret that as "heavy armors" and gave them access to light armors, leather/hides, things of that nature. Easily scalable for a "tougher/higher HD challenge).

Enjoy! Feel free to share any thoughts. Later!

Troll Root
Ungern

Re: Berserkers

Post by Troll Root »

Good idea. Not over the top and very easy to use.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Lobo316 wrote:Greetings All!

Just sharing a "monster" I converted from AD&D. I was looking for some low level "rage style" barbarian types (since the PC class from the 3rd printing doesn't actually get this ability until level 3). Yes, I could just "create one", but thought I'd delve into some of the old books to see what I could find. How many people remember the Berserker, from the AD&D Monster Manual!

Enjoy! Feel free to share any thoughts. Later!
Nice. If I remember correctly, weren't there other 'human monsters'?
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

That works nicely!
Hide armor is a nice touch, isn't that just a bear corpse?

I think the 2-7 hp would be 1d6+1 as a HD. I know in 2nd ed there'd be plusses for HD and stuff like that.

Re: 'Human monsters' I recall Pirates, and assume there were brigands and the like. I know there were entries for "elves" and "dwarves" so it makes sense.
While you can make NPC fighters and thieves, if they just mooks/sword fodder, why bother? entries like these are awesome!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

At the number encountered, I see why the rates of goblins, kobolds, and orcs is so high... they need to be or these guys would walk the world in domination. Two attacks is fairly mighty, especially as it seems no penalty is given unto them.