The Winter Walkers

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
KaiserKris
Red Cap

The Winter Walkers

Post by KaiserKris »

No prizes rewarded if you guess the inspiration ...

Winter Walker
The ethereal, unnaturally tall creature speaks no language you can recognize, the breath coming out of its mouth simply sounding like the endless creep of glacier ice. Your sword shatters into pieces at the merest contact with the foul creature, which seems to command a foul army of the undead.

No. Encountered: 1-2, 5-10
Size: Medium
HD: 5d8+7 (average 27 hp)
Move: 30" (walk)
AC: 18
Attack: Weapon (as ordinary, but doing +1d6 cold damage), or claws (1d6, 1d6 extra cold damage)
Special: Darkvision, Command Undead, Immunities, Shattersteel, Spell-Like Abilities, Summersleep, Vulnerabilities
Saves: P, M
Int: Superior
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Type: Fey
Treasure: 5
XP: 460 + 5

Chill Death: All weapons used by a Winter Walker inflict an additional 1d6

Command Undead: A single Winter Walker can command undead that it creates up to double its HD. No simple undead creature will ever attack a Winter Walker, except by direct order from a cleric or wizard of greater power.

Immunities: Winter Walkers are immune to non-magical weapons, cold and all mind-affecting magic.

Shattersteel: Any non-magical metallic weapons used against the creature shatter without inflicting damage.

Spell-Like Abilities: (at will) chill hands (as burning hands), fear (3/day) animate dead, hold person

Summersleep: Winter Walkers are capable of going into a torpor for up to millennia at a time. They can only awaken again in cold weather.

Vulnerabilities: Fire inflicts double damage on Winter Walkers, as do weapons forged out of obsidian. Dragonfire kills them instantly.

In colder parts of the Earth, it is said that there is a cruel and malevolent race of fey who once tyrannized the lands of men and their allies, raising unholy armies of the dead and bringing forth a winter that lasted years at a time. It is believed that these horrible creatures have long since been defeated ... or never actually existed. However, there are foul rumours that these creatures are beginning to reawake in the chill lands of the North. Rangers from those lands have disturbing reports of a plague of undead, and many of them have gone completely missing.

The Winter Walkers are powerful and dangerous foes who attack with great cunning, preferring to weaken enemies with their undead hordes or using arrows from their icy bows to attack from a distance. However, once in combat, they are implacable foes and rarely retreat, except to gain tactical advantage. While the majority of Winter Walkers possess the abilities above, there are certainly more powerful members of the race which possess more powerful necromantic or cold magics. Their leaders are commonly 9 HD individuals with the abilities of a 9 HD cleric or wizard, and appropriate spells.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Re: The Winter Walkers

Post by Relaxo »

Kris, that is badass.

Is this the evil thingy in Game of Thrones? I havn't even seen or read it, but if so, you nailed it so hard I recognized it without reading or seeing it.
(that's meant to be a compliment, LOL)
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

KaiserKris
Red Cap

Post by KaiserKris »

Technically, they're "White Walkers" or "Others", but yes. The big bad nasties from the A Song of Ice and Fire novels and the Game of Thrones series. There's a few subtle alterations for flavour purposes (assuming that the average C&C setting is a touch "higher" fantasy than GRR Martin), but it's pretty much them.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Thats awesome

Desrimal
Hlobane Orc

Post by Desrimal »

Cool. Consider your monster stolen for my campaign...
RPGing since '89

Guitarist in Rust Age (old-school rock)
https://youtu.be/c7ULaz7yRig

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Justice was done in your conversion. Very nice.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Desrimal wrote:Cool. Consider your monster stolen for my campaign...

Rgr that, I have a very good place to add them into my home brew world! Thanks!!!!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

A Fey that creates undead? Or is this thing Undead Fey to start?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

KaiserKris
Red Cap

Post by KaiserKris »

Fey creatures that create undead.