My version of...

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
Treebore
Mogrl

My version of...

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I know Classic Monster redid these, but the 2E MM is my favorite for a reason...

Death Knight

No Enc.: 1 (or as many as needed)
Size: M (6' tall roughly 300 LBS)
HD 10d10
Move 30'
AC: 20 to 30
Attack: As per Weapons or Spell.
Special: Spells, SR of 15, reflect on roll of 1-3.
Save: P/M
Int: High
Alignment: CE
Type: Undead, Immunities as per Undead in M&T.
Treasure: 9x2
XP: Varies

Use whichever origin story you want. Mine typically involves a fallen Knight, Paladin, or Cleric being transformed into a monstrous tool of evil.

Combat:
A Death Knight now fights as a 10th level Fighter, retaining all of the ability typical of such a Fighter, such as Specialization and 2 attacks per round, regardless of what they were prior to their transformation. They retain twisted and very inaccurate memories of their former life due to the horrors of their transformation.
They do use the weapons and Armor they used in their prior life, and will have Specialization with the one they most favored. Such weapons and armor are typically at least Expert quality, and often enchanted, frequently +2 or better. (CK determines however they wish).

DK's emit an aura of Fear around themselves at all times. Whenever an opponent susceptible to fear moves adjacent to the DK (typically within 5 Feet), they must make a save versus CL of 20 to resist it. They also cast the following Spells as a 20th level caster: Detect Magic, See Invisibility, and Wall of Ice at Will, It can cast Dispel Magic twice per day, Once per Day it can cast either the Symbol of Fear or Pain, any ONE of the Power Words, typically Kill, as well as a 20d6 Fireball. Any saves are versus a CL of 20.

DK's cannot be turned, and any Undead they gather as their retinue will also be immune to being Turned unless the DK is slain, or they are more than 150 feet away from the DK.

Death Knights are the result of a horrible transformation performed by groups of evil Clerics and/or Wizards, or possibly some Lords of the Abyss, and similar powers of a given world. Such beings are transformed after falling from "grace" in some horrible fashion, usually involving great betrayals and murder.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: My version of...

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:Yeah, I know Classic Monster redid these, but the 2E MM is my favorite for a reason...

Death Knight

Size: M (6' tall roughly 300 LBS)
HD 10d10
Move 30'
AC: 20 to 30
Attack: As per Weapons or Spell.
Special: Spells, SR of 15, reflect on roll of 1-3.
Save: P/M
Alignment: CE
Treasure: 9x2

Use whichever origin story you want. Mine typically involves a fallen Knight, Paladin, or Cleric being transformed into a monstrous tool of evil.

Combat:
A Death Knight now fights as a 10th level Fighter, retaining all of the ability typical of such a Fighter, such as Specialization and 2 attacks per round, regardless of what they were prior to their transformation. They retain twisted and very inaccurate memories of their former life due to the horrors of their transformation.
They do use the weapons and Armor they used in their prior life, and will have Specialization with the one they most favored. Such weapons and armor are typically at least Expert quality, and often enchanted, frequently +2 or better. (CK determines however they wish).

DK's emit an aura of Fear around themselves at all times. Whenever an opponent susceptible to fear moves adjacent to the DK (typically within 5 Feet), they must make a save versus CL of 20 to resist it. They also cast the following Spells as a 20th level caster: Detect Magic, See Invisibility, and Wall of Ice at Will, It can cast Dispel Magic twice per day, Once per Day it can cast either the Symbol of Fear or Pain, as well as a 20d6 Fireball. Any saves are versus a CL of 20.

DK's cannot be turned, and any Undead they gather as their retinue will also be immune to being Turned unless the DK is slain, or they are more than 150 feet away from the DK.

Death Knights are the result of a horrible transformation performed by groups of evil Clerics and/or Wizards, or possibly some Lords of the Abyss, and similar powers of a given world. Such beings are transformed after falling from "grace" in some horrible fashion, usually involving great betrayals and murder.

:shock:

I'm now glad it did decide to leap at us and go toe to toe with Aechlon instead of softening us up with spells first!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Skeletal Warriors (Free Willed)

Size: M
HD 10d10 (Typically 70 HP)
Move 30'
AC: 20 or higher
Attack: As per Weapons l.
Special: SR of 18, Cannot be Turned when in "Service".
Save: P/ (M-Special, see below)
Alignment: LE
Treasure: 9

These Skeletal Warriors are the few who have had their control Circlet destroyed and have become free willed. These are Fighters who recall their former lives, but in far from great detail, usual just dim memories that leaves them uncertain. They, as in life, gravitate to power to serve. So these Free Willed Warriors are often found in the company of Liches, Death Knights, powerful Vampire Lords and the like. When they are in such service they retain their immunity to being turned. If they are on their own, they can be turned as a 10 HD Unique Undead). When they are in service to some power they also gain Mental Primes.

Just like they were when they were chained to a Circlet, they typically wield large weapons, such as the 2 Handed Sword or Bearded Axe, and their weapons are almost always Expert or magical. (As always, CK determines), and as 10th level Fighters, they get 2 attacks per round, Combat Dominance, Weapon Specialization, etc... as well as an additional inherent +3 to hit with any weapon they wield. They typically have an AC of 20 without wearing any armor due to the magical hardness of their very bones, but they can use items of protection, natural Armor and Shields to improve upon this. Typically only the heaviest of armors of +3 enchantment or better are worth wearing for the free willed Skeletal Warrior. However, they can wear whatever they wish if they take a liking to doing so.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote: :shock:

I'm now glad it did decide to leap at us and go toe to toe with Aechlon instead of softening us up with spells first!
Yeah, once it realized what Osahar was wielding I had it decide spells were a waste of time.

Edit: Thanks, you made me notice I forgot to include the Power Words.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Anti Paladins

Typically Chaotic Evil, but can be Lawful or Neutral, but always Evil.

-Gain Permanent Protection from Good, as per the Spell.

-They are immune to the EFFECTS of Disease, but are always a carrier of Disease. The higher the level, the more they carry. Typically 1 Disease per two levels. They often cover their weapons in their blood so that even their weapon strikes can transmit a Disease or 5. They usually cannot heal Diseases, unless they serve a evil god who is specifically against Disease. If so they can Cure Disease once per week per 5 levels.

Poisons: Use Poisons whenever they can get their hands on them, but cannot make them. If they have a positive modifier, they get to double it for the purposes of saving versus poisons. If they have a negative modifier, they get to ignore it for the purposes of saving versus poisons. Poison saves usually are based upon CON, but some are based upon STR and other attributes. Regardless, the modifier is adjusted accordingly.

Sudden Death: If a Anti Paladin ever gets to attack with Surprise, they do a Death Attack much like an Assassin with their first blow. Target gets a CON save versus the HD of the Anti Paladin, or goes straight to -6 HP. If their first blow misses, they lose the opportunity for that encounter. A second attack is actually needed to kill the target. Which is often the second attack of the Anti Paladin in such a situation.

Evils' Fury: At 9th Level the Anti Paladin, once per encounter, can invoke the Fury of the power they serve. This invocation is essentially like a spell and must spend a round invoking this power just like casting a spell, including checks versus damage taken. They can move their base move, however. This Fury effects the Anti Paladin in the same way as the Haste Spell, including the ill effects of the spell, as well as duration, and how it can be countered.

12th Level, the Anti Paladin, once per week, can cast Mass Harm, as the Mass Heal spell, reversed.

Natural Fear: IF an Anti Paladin makes it clear to those who see him or her, who and what they are, all NPC's of 1/2 the Anti Paladins level, rounded down, will run in non magical fear. PC's of half the Anti Paladins level will run if they fail a CHA save at 1/2 of the Anti Paladins level as the CL. All opponents above half the level of the Anti Paladin will suffer a -2 to their attacks for the first 3 rounds of combat. No save. Spellcasters must make a check to cast spells in the Anti Paladins presence (the Spellcaster can see the Anti Paladin) at a CL of 4 that have a Verbal component, to make sure their fear doesn't make them stutter during the incantation. Anyone immune to fear, is of course immune to this non magical fear. Those close enough to a good Paladin will also benefit from any save versus Fear such a Paladin bestows to their allies.

Anti Paladins have no form of the Lay on Hands abilities, but if they serve a deity that focus' on Undead such Anti Paladins do gain the ability to Rebuke Undead as a Evil Cleric 2 levels lower.
They also do not gain a Divine Mount, and they often accumulate massive amounts of wealth and magic appropriate to their power and influence.

Anti Paladins typically are all about spreading death and destruction, especially those who serve such deities. So it is uncommon to rare to find an Anti Paladin who can heal anything with their powers. As such, they do tend to accumulate Potions of Healing of all varieties, or any other magics that can Heal them since their awful gods won't.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Our DM always gave Death Knights the ability to cast Mass harm... that is just annoying and mildly deadly

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Dracyian wrote:Our DM always gave Death Knights the ability to cast Mass harm... that is just annoying and mildly deadly
I've been thinking of doing a Divine version of Death Knights...

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Ugh, luckily we haven't fought a death knight in a while

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I decided I need an NPC that could shake up the status quo in my face to face Wednesday game. Better yet, I set it up so that the players would release him, or keep him entrapped in a Temporal Stasis. A long game session made short, they ended up freeing him.

How will this play out? I don't know. It depends on how the players role play this. So far they are making friends with him, but many things could change this. Feel free to use him, or not, alter him as needed, etc... for your own fell CKing purposes. I will try to attach the image which inspired this NPC to me.

Name: King Voortheim
Race: Human Alignment: LN
Class: Fighter Level:9+
Experience Points: NA
Size: M
Height: 6' 5" Weight: 210 Deity: Odin

Hair: Grey Eyes: silver/grey Homeland: His own;
Languages: Common, Elf, Dwarven

Description: King Voortheim is a well preserved human male, who has used magic to greatly extend his life span. He is a very tall and naturally strong man, his hair went naturally grey at a young age, and his silver-grey eyes are very striking and “piercing”. People look at him and find themselves thinking, “He is a King.”
It helps that he wears a suit of Full Plate armor, of Dwarven make, stylized with Eagle motifs, including a classic winged helmet, that is Mithril and blued with a magic chemical that made the armor even harder to destroy. He wields a magically powerful Great Sword that most men wouldn’t even be able to properly wield in battle. He also has a large Mithril shield that matches his armor, but rarely uses it in battle.
STR: 18 (P)
DEX: 18 (P)
CON: 16
INT: 13
WIS: 15
CHA: 15 (P)
AC: 25 (30 with Shield)
BTH: 9+
HP: 80+
Misc. Equipment:
4 Man Tent
Back Pack
100 foot of Rope (two 50 foot lengths)
Pitons (10)
Flint and Steel
Sharpening Stone
10 days rations
Winter Blanket
Bedroll
5 Flasks of Holy Water.

Specialization: Great Sword and Long Sword
Magic Items:
+4 Silvered Great Sword: +18 to hit, 2d6+9 dmg, add 3 to hit and damage for Belt.
+4 Blued Mithril Full Plate (+12 AC)
+4 Blued Mithril Large Shield (+5 to AC)
Belt of Storm Giant Strength (STR of 24)
Necklace of Adaptation
Bag of Holding Type IV
Rod of Rulership, full 500 minutes
Rod of Thunder and Lightning
Ring of Blinking
Ring of Elemental Command-Fire

Potions:
Potion Flying x3
Potion of Heal x 6
Restoration
Invisibility x 3

Armor Details:
The armor has an over all inherent +4 bonus due to the Mithril
The Bluing makes the Amor immune to Acid and Rusting of any kind, magical or otherwise, and gives it a additional +4 to saves versus being destroyed by magical fire.
The Helm is enchanted to be a Helm of Comprehend Languages and Read magic.
The Armors boots are enchanted as Boots of Speed.
The main body of the Armor is enchanted with “Brilliance”, as per the Robe of Brilliance.
His Gauntlets act as a Necklace of Strangulation on anyone he clamps his hands on the shoulders, head, or neck of. He must grab with both hands, resolved per the Grapple rules. Even he cannot stop the Strangulation until the target is dead. Unlike the necklace, he can let go once his victim is dead. Since this makes him effectively “prone” while doing this, he won’t use it when other enemies are around.
The Shield has the Enchantment of Freedom of Movement on it.

Sword Details:
This Great Sword is Intelligent. It is a powerful Sword with a Special Purpose, Defend the King. This Weapon is Lawful Neutral, has a Will of 23, Communicates and Senses as per page 127 of 4th printing M&T, and has the following 4 Lesser and 4 Greater powers:

Lesser:
1. Can Legend Lore 3/day, as Bard
2. Hold Person, 3/day
3. Faerie Fire, 3/day
4. Detect Illusion, 3/day

Major:
1. Dismissal, 1/day
2. Clairvoyance, 3/day
3. Magic Circle Versus opposing Alignment at will
4. Teleport, 2/day
This sword was made by binding the soul of Vortheim’s Grand Father to it, its name is Jalheim.

https://goo.gl/photos/uVYqxv4j5ni6TbFKA