Monster Help - Ethereal Marauder

Herein are gathered all the threads about those creatures that stalk our nightmares and against whom are characters must battle!
Lobo316
Ulthal

Monster Help - Ethereal Marauder

Post by Lobo316 »

How would you convert an Etheral Marauder to C&C?

Here is the 3.5 wiki...
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ethereal_Marauder

This is what I have so far..

NO. Encountered: 1 (though I plan on changing this to make them pack hunters)
Size: Medium
HD: 2d10
MOVE: 40 ft.
AC: 14
Attacks: Bite (1d6+3)
Special: Darkvision 60 ft.,ethereal jaunt...this is giving me fits
Saves: P
INT: Low
Alignment: Neutral
TYPE: Magical Beast/Extraplanar
Treasure: None
XP:17 + 2

So (according to the link) in 3rd edition, they locate thier prey, shift to the material plane (free action), attack (attempting to catch it's victim flat footed), then shift back to the ethereal plane (move action).

As we know, there are no "move action/free action/flat footed" mechanics in C&C. However, nowhere in the M&T book can I find any rules on "ethereal" creaures either (I flipped through the book and found nothing on the topic except a brief reference to it on page 6, under Special II abilities for calculating XP).

So, how would you convert those abilities to C&C? Best I can think of is to give them a higher AC to reflect thier etheral nature? Or maybe a % of a miss (passing through the creature) with every attack? Or maybe a bonus to initiative rolls do to thier speed (popping back into the etheral plane). I don't want to give a 2HD creature the ability to appear, attack and disappear in the same round (that's just too tough).

There is no "flat footed" in C&C, but I can easily use the rules for a rouge sneaking to cover their tactics on moving into the materal plane to attack from behind (at the least, they could manuever themselves for a +2 to hit on a rear attack).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've always kinda dug these critters <evi grin>. Thanks!

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Monster Help - Ethereal Marauder

Post by Arduin »

Lobo316 wrote:How would you convert an Etheral Marauder to C&C?

Ethereal Jaunt is a 5th level Cleric spell in C&C...
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

Arduin wrote:

Hmmmm...well heck, didn't know that. I'll go check it out. Thanks!

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Lobo316 wrote:
Arduin wrote:

Hmmmm...well heck, didn't know that. I'll go check it out. Thanks!
No prob. When I DO deal with a monster that uses a spell not in C&C I usually treat as a special, unique ability. Unless it is WAY over powered.

House Rules

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

Well, Not sure the spell works for how the creature works in 3.5. I think this will be a special, spell-like ability. Will likely allow the creature to use the jaunt once per round, so the characters can have a chance to attack it before it jaunt back to the ethereal plane.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Lobo316 wrote:Well, Not sure the spell works for how the creature works in 3.5. I think this will be a special, spell-like ability. Will likely allow the creature to use the jaunt once per round, so the characters can have a chance to attack it before it jaunt back to the ethereal plane.
Sounds a bit like the AD&D 1st Ed Displacer Beast in that way. It attacks, players get their shot then, back to the ethereal plane.

House Rules

Lobo316
Ulthal

Post by Lobo316 »

Arduin wrote:
Lobo316 wrote:Well, Not sure the spell works for how the creature works in 3.5. I think this will be a special, spell-like ability. Will likely allow the creature to use the jaunt once per round, so the characters can have a chance to attack it before it jaunt back to the ethereal plane.
Sounds a bit like the AD&D 1st Ed Displacer Beast in that way. It attacks, players get their shot then, back to the ethereal plane.
Yea, I think it'll work OK. They should be a pain, without being overly difficult. And I should be able to use a 1/2 dozen or so with a group of well equipped and experienced 4th level players. May actually drop the damage a bit as well considering I'm approaching these guys from a pack hunter mentality instead of a "solo" creature, like presented in 3.5.