Haunted Highlands: Dro Mandras

All things about the Haunted Highlands!
DangerDwarf
Maukling

Haunted Highlands: Dro Mandras

Post by DangerDwarf »

I may have glossed over it, I'm not sure.

But what sized city is Dro Mandras? As the capitol, I'm assuming its a pretty decent sized place (or the non-ruined part at least)
EDIT: Also, how far south of Dro Mandras is the humoind forces/area of the orcish King Yorgach?

Doh, 2nd Edit: The Tower of Nesturon? Serve in any capacity as a wizard school??

Bowbe
Red Cap

Answers

Post by Bowbe »

Prior to the invasion around 12,000 permanent adult residence, when the Duke's personal cohort army and ( not ) counting those personal armies of his various knights and lords who dwell in the villages and hamlets of the east and west.

Post invasion those numbers are significantly less with about 4000 permanent residents and several thousand refugees and the duke's vanguard being deployed north or in ships waiting to land as part of a siege breaking tactic.

Due to the siege conditions there aren't many shops and that sort of thing open for actual business as the resources are being poured into defense.

The Tower of Nesturon and its enclosed villiage do indeed serve as a magical academy of sorts. Its mostly a closed society till someone graduates to 1st level .

I use it currently as the "place where most wizards" who start in HH campaigns come from. THeir backstory prior to admission to the Tower is their own. The tower itself is accessible only to Nesturon but surrounding towers are occupied by various apprentices of decent power. The Duke's court magician is a graduate of the academy.

Monks come from the east (as its most comfortable to generic sensibilities for them to come from that direction) beyond mountain passes that lead past Yorgach's Fist... the fortress home of the current orc invaders. Have been cooking up a variety of secret societies that the monk class may join or become part of with a very cool history/purpose and intent that can be used campaign wise.

Yorgach's fist is actually to the east and you can find it on the main map.

Case

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I placed HH in Erde northwest of the United Kingdoms, north of the Aenochian Forest. Along the river. So the kingdom to the North (Augsburg) is where my Dro Mindras is located. I haven't decided what name it is going to go by in Erde.

All hostilities have been with Aufstrag.

So that is how I adapted it to Erde and still get to use most of what Case wrote in the 3 mods.

BTW, Capt. Slaughter is currently in custody at Dirty Bowbe's.

For now.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Cool! Great info, thanks Case.

..............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Great information, thanks!

So I take it the siege is still active then? If so, I'm assuming it is somewhat loose in ways as there are a few mentioned in DB2 about recent excursions from the city to the crater.

Anyways, this week has been the first time I really dug through the modules. Very nice work. Any idea when DB4 will be out?Its supposed to be about Dro Mandras isn't it?

Also, how many modules can we expect to see in the series? Is there a list somewhere of rough generalizations of what they might entails. For Example:

DB 482: Details a sweet new kobold skating rink.

Nothing too specific, just an idea of what we can look forward to seeing?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

DangerDwarf wrote:
Also, how many modules can we expect to see in the series? Is there a list somewhere of rough generalizations of what they might entails. For Example:

DB 482: Details a sweet new kobold skating rink.

Nothing too specific, just an idea of what we can look forward to seeing?

Somewhere 'round here DB did in fact post a nice, general outline on the HH series. I can't to locate it, but I remember thier being the following:

x2 Mods on Dro Mandras

x1 Mod detailing villages and the surrounding HH wilderness

x1 Mod of eeeeeviiiilllleee spells and various stuff

x1 Mod that would include mass-combat rules.

That's all I can remember. Maybe one or more of these mods were supposed to be combined together. It's been a few months since Case posted his general outline.

...............................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Akrasia

Post by Akrasia »

Omote wrote:

x2 Mods on Dro Mandras

x1 Mod detailing villages and the surrounding HH wilderness

x1 Mod of eeeeeviiiilllleee spells and various stuff

x1 Mod that would include mass-combat rules.

Can anyone 'in the know' give an indication of when these might be published?

Thanks!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Not until Steve's plate gets a little less full. He's currently extremely busy with some products, and has to focus on getting them out, but after... well, the bid is high that anything finished (ie, written) goes into the pipeline. I can't speak for Bowbe, but I'd guess the majority of his stuff is written... dude's a fountain of creative goodness.

Akrasia

Post by Akrasia »

serleran wrote:
Not until Steve's plate gets a little less full. He's currently extremely busy with some products, and has to focus on getting them out ...

I haven't been paying attention lately. What products might these be? Not the mythical CKG, by chance?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Well, Davis is on that one, but Steve has been busy on things like the 3rd print PHB, 2nd print M&T (the C&C foundations), C&C Basic, Airdhe stuff (the Miasmal Wyrms thing recently, but a "Monsters of Airdhe" book as discussed in General), M&T II (he's got to go through the manuscript and make whatever changes/additions he feels are needed) and a whole slew of other things, which I cannot talk about (because they're not announced.) Oh, one other rather major thing is CZ and the Yggsburgh Project, and Free RPG Day material in hopes to get more people attracted to C&C.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Don't forget the After Winter's Dark Folio! ... sweeet.

...........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

Word is editing is finished on Dro Mandras, Peter is finishing artwork and is really close to having the cover done.

Case

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Bowbe wrote:
Word is editing is finished on Dro Mandras, Peter is finishing artwork and is really close to having the cover done.

Case

I hope this gets printed soon. I'm pretty sure I will need it in a few weeks, let alone the months from now when it will likely get printed.

Case, you need anything playtested involving a map of Dro Mandras? Everyone in my Monday Haunted Highlands SKYPE game is from this board, so we can give you some good playtest feedback.

I would be happy with just a map. If not I think I have plenty of "cities" in my RPG book repertoire to use as a substitute. Would Baldurs Gate be a good substitute?

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Treebore wrote:
I hope this gets printed soon. I'm pretty sure I will need it in a few weeks, let alone the months from now when it will likely get printed.

Case, you need anything playtested involving a map of Dro Mandras? Everyone in my Monday Haunted Highlands SKYPE game is from this board, so we can give you some good playtest feedback.

I would be happy with just a map. If not I think I have plenty of "cities" in my RPG book repertoire to use as a substitute. Would Baldurs Gate be a good substitute?

*chuckles* The map is the most ticklish part of doing the finish up of the city.

Its approx 1500 feet across. Split by a river and a rather eclecticly laid out set of buildings. Soooo... ya. Its in progress.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

gideon_thorne wrote:
*chuckles* The map is the most ticklish part of doing the finish up of the city.

Its approx 1500 feet across. Split by a river and a rather eclecticly laid out set of buildings. Soooo... ya. Its in progress.

right now I would be happy with a sloppy, but pretty accurate, hand drawn version just so I can maintain the continuity of the adventure series.

From your basic description it sounds lke I have a decent stand in. Silverymoon.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames