Difference in Haunted Highlands and Tainted Lands?

All things about the Haunted Highlands!
rickyh
Ungern

Difference in Haunted Highlands and Tainted Lands?

Post by rickyh »

Whats the difference?

-- E. Gary Gygax
My GM Badges:

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Admittedly I've had little experience with either other than what I've seen posted around...so the following is semi-educated conjecture:

Haunted Highlands is more akin to a setting in a land where darkness has a pretty good grip.

Tainted Lands is more of a setting where horror and sudden death are more than likely.

In a more generic terminology...Haunted Highlands is like IUZ's lands in Greyhawk....whereas Tainted Lands is a nastier version of Ravenloft.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

rickyh
Ungern

Post by rickyh »

Well I have a player wanting to start out and do the necromancer thing and eventually become a lich. Which one would be better for something like that you think?

-- E. Gary Gygax
My GM Badges:

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Probably have to wait til someone more familiar with the setting has a chance to reply to that one.

A guess would be Haunted Highlands given the Black Libram of Naratus and it's necromancer within.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

rickyh wrote:
Well I have a player wanting to start out and do the necromancer thing and eventually become a lich. Which one would be better for something like that you think?

There is also a necromancer class in this (free fan-made) C&C version of Unearthed Arcana:
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/dnd3e/doc ... Arcana.pdf

It even provides an alternate spell list for the budding grave disturber

Homer Simpson

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

In my opinion, haunted Highlands is more like a traditional fantasy setting gone dark, whereas Tainted Lands is more like a setting that has always been dark. (If that makes any sense.)

HH is undead-filled and war-torn. TL is more like Count Dracula or Ravenloft.

You could run a necromancer in either setting.

Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society

C&C Playtester in 2003
OD&D player since 1975
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Tainted Lands is an explicitly horror-themed setting - Ravenloft is a good comparison.

I'm not sure I'd call the Haunted Highlands "undead-filled" but it's definitely a relatively dark and gritty place compared to most fantasy settings. It's fairly low-magic as well.

Very different animals IMHO. My personal preference is HH, but I'm not a horror guy.

rickyh
Ungern

Post by rickyh »

Eh, I may just end up getting all 3. You can get em both, HH, and TL, + Black Libram for under $24 total over at rpgnow.com

-- E. Gary Gygax
My GM Badges:

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

What CK said. HH is like a grim & gritty setting and TL is a "horror for the sake of horror" setting. A couple of new classes and such. HH would fit in just about everywhere, and TL would too (technically) but HH much easier. They are both "mini-settings," so you'd want to drop them into a larger setting.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Egg of Coot
Hlobane Orc

Post by Egg of Coot »

rickyh wrote:

I'd argue that you start the necromancer off in the Haunted Highlands for low level adventuring, and then move him to Tainted Lands for high level lead-up to lichdom. I've got the Tainted Lands box, and while I can see why some people compare it to Ravenloft, it has far less of a Gothic feel as a setting.

The Egg

PrimEvil Studios on Facebook. Be a fan.

PrimEvil Studios is on Facebook. Click here to become a fan.

jaguar451
Ulthal

Post by jaguar451 »

CKDad wrote:
I'm not sure I'd call the Haunted Highlands "undead-filled" but it's definitely a relatively dark and gritty place compared to most fantasy settings. It's fairly low-magic as well.

How do you define 'low magic' for HH?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Haunted Highlands is a place you inject into another setting, a "lost location" where civilization has almost given up and war ravages what is left of its land.... Tainted Lands is a place you go, when all light is lost.

There really is not much more than a superficial similarity between the two micro-locations. At least, to me.

Bowbe
Red Cap

Tainted Lands and Haunted Highlands

Post by Bowbe »

Haunted Highlands is my default setting published by TLG that infuses a mix of some of my house rules for C&C with a campaign world inspired by the likes of Robert Howard, Clark Ashton Smith, Edgar Allen Poe, H.P Lovecraft, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and my own pretty vivid dreams. It isn't a "horror" setting though like all the nice folks have mentioned... it is pretty horrible. It is low(er) magic. It is high on blood and steel. Magic is rare, reserved, and dangerous. Monsters chase you. Smart monsters and badguys run away and come after you later with re-enforcements.

Tainted Lands... as I played it with Jim, is heavy on horror/be it gothic, King inspired or otherwise. I wouldn't say its fair to call it a rehash of Ravenloft. It isn't. Characters start in a "traditional" world of fantasy adventure and find themselves "crossed over" into the Tainted Lands... where the taint of wickedness and evil has a real and physical effect on them... be it a mental or physical one. Its like the shadowlands or a trip to the banks of the river styx, and I find it useful as a crossing over place to visit other demensions... think of it as a plane of nightmares and that would be more accurate.

I think its worth a look especially for its special abilities, taints, and flavor.

CC