Any difference? Old AA vs Kickstarted AA?

Discussion of the pulp roleplaying system, including hard-boiled detectives, fedora-wearing action heroes, and steampunk gadgeteers rocketing to battle.
anglefish
Unkbartig

Any difference? Old AA vs Kickstarted AA?

Post by anglefish »

I still have my old AA book that came out before the kickstarter. Is there any real difference between the two print runs?

Itlas
Mist Elf

Re: Any difference? Old AA vs Kickstarted AA?

Post by Itlas »

anglefish wrote:I still have my old AA book that came out before the kickstarter. Is there any real difference between the two print runs?
What's AA sorry?

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

AA = Amazing Adventures

Can't answer the question though as I only have the KS version

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

I have both but sadly haven't had the time to try a comparison yet. :(

I seem to recall Jason saying something about an increased word count and a corresponding smaller font size so that things would fit into the space. My guess is that the core rules system is still essentially unchanged.

I'll try to get back to folks on this after the weekend if I can.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Hey, all,

The new corebook has been revised, updated and expanded across the board. There is intro fiction to set the tone of the book, but even not counting the intro fiction the book is about 20,000 words longer than it was before, and it's all new material.

The most obvious change is that all errata from the first print has been fully incorporated into the new printing. Naturally, as new issues crop up we're recording them and will continue to make corrections in the future. We've also gone back to the 12/18 CB Prime/Secondary split for SIEGE checks, to keep it 100% in line with C&C, but I put in a sidebar in the GM section for those who want to stick with the 15/+5 method of the first print, so that option is still there.

As far as brand new stuff, some of the character classes (the Pugilist, Gadgeteer) have been overhauled similar to the way the Barbarian and Illusionist were in the C&C later printings. There are a lot more new Generic Class Abilities. There is an entire section dealing with Secret Societies, how to build them and use them in your game, as well as several sample societies. There are (optional) guidelines on making magic a corrupting force tied to the sanity of the Arcanist. The monster section isn't as big, but has been augmented with a Rogue's Gallery including notable figures, NPCs and pre-generated player characters. A lot of stuff has just generally been clarified and better explained overall.

The original AA, while I'm quite proud of it, was my first ever core rulebook for a large publisher. After over a decade in the industry I was thrilled that Steve and Co. gave me a shot at it, and I truly love the game. This revised printing really highlights its strengths as a game, I think, and sees it reach its full potential.

Hope that helps! If there's any specific questions you have I'm more than happy to answer.

Oh! One more thing: while the new Manual of Monsters DOES include the complete bestiary from the first printing, it also includes over two dozen, never-before-seen monsters to add to your game so you are NOT just re-buying stuff you've already got with that one. We're not about making fans do that! And if you decide NOT to update the corebook, the new Companion and Monster book will still be 100% compatible with the first print, though the page references won't match up so you'll have to hunt and peck where that's concerned ;)