View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Marvel's Jessica Jones 
Grey Elf Troll

Post Marvel's Jessica Jones
Holy crap, folks!

If you love Amazing Adventures and are wondering how a gumshoe-themed game would work while bringing in the supernatural? You need to be watching Marvel's Jessica Jones on Netflix. It 100% is a modern day Amazing Adventures campaign using the street-level supers rules in the Companion. Plus, it's just a badass show overall. It occurs to me that so far, Daredevil and Jessica Jones are making for an incredible possible modern AA campaign. Hell, you could also easily take the themes of those shows and dump them into the 20s or 30s.

As I see it: Jess is a CN class-and-a-half Gumshoe/Powered character, Luke is a N class-and-a-half Pugilist/Powered, and Killgrave is a CE Mentalist OR Powered with mind-control-based abilities.

Characters in Daredevil so far are a bit more complex, requiring backgrounds and knowledges to flesh them out. Matt, for example, would be a LG class-and-a-half Pugilist/Powered character with Background in Law Enforcement and the Mean Streets, and Knowledges in Criminal Law and Research/Investigation. Kingpin is a LE class-and-a-half Pugilist/Powered with backgrounds in The Mean Streets and Organized Crime, and Knowledges in Fine Art and High Society.

Amazing Adventures on Facebook | Amazing Adventures on Twitter

Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:52 pm
Ulthal

Post Re: Marvel's Jessica Jones
Yes! While I was watching it last week I was also thinking: this looks like Amazing Adventures material. Even Trish Walker (who at this point doesn't have super powers) works as a Socialite. AA is just so flexible. I really love it.

Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:54 pm
Grey Elf Troll

Penny-Whistle wrote:
Yes! While I was watching it last week I was also thinking: this looks like Amazing Adventures material. Even Trish Walker (who at this point doesn't have super powers) works as a Socialite. AA is just so flexible. I really love it.

I'd score Trish as a LG Class-and-a-half Socialite/Pugilist (b/c of the Krav Maga training)

Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:36 pm
Ulthal

I keep forgetting about combining classes. = / ty

Spoiler ahead for those who haven't watched all the way through.

Where would you fit someone like Will Simpson (Nuke?)? Part cyborg, part special ops military guy. A tool for the machine that wants out of that system but can't quite work out the details intellectually or emotionally. I was thinking he is a bit like a construct and a bit like a raider. And since his behavior swings from good actions to bad (and hopefully back again) maybe a person could consider using the monster creation suggestions?

Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:22 pm
Grey Elf Troll

Penny-Whistle wrote:

Where would you fit someone like Will Simpson (Nuke?)? Part cyborg, part special ops military guy. A tool for the machine that wants out of that system but can't quite work out the details intellectually or emotionally. I was thinking he is a bit like a construct and a bit like a raider. And since his behavior swings from good actions to bad (and hopefully back again) maybe a person could consider using the monster creation suggestions?

If I was creating him as an NPC I'd just assign him abilities and be done with it. As a PC? I'd probably use a variation on the alchemist rules from the Companion, with the pills giving him superhuman strength and agility. His primary class would be tricky. I don't think he fits as a Gumshoe and he's not really scholarly enough to be a Raider. You know what? Probably Soldier from the companion. Class and a half: Soldier and Alchemist to account for his pills.

Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:49 pm
Ulthal

The Grey Elf wrote:
Penny-Whistle wrote:

If I was creating him as an NPC I'd just assign him abilities and be done with it. As a PC? I'd probably use a variation on the alchemist rules from the Companion, with the pills giving him superhuman strength and agility. His primary class would be tricky. I don't think he fits as a Gumshoe and he's not really scholarly enough to be a Raider. You know what? Probably Soldier from the companion. Class and a half: Soldier and Alchemist to account for his pills.

Thanks!

Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:12 pm
Grey Elf Troll

Actually, now that I look at it and really give it some thought, Soldier doesn't really work because it's all about teamwork.

I'd go with Hooligan for him. He's a total rogue and loose cannon with pill-based super powers. I'd also go with gadgeteer rules instead of alchemist; he's Charisma-based and has a Gadget-man who provides him his chemical boost (which happens to be pills instead of tech). So, class-and-a-half Hooligan/Gadgeteer (Cha-based). Because of the limits of his source (He is addicted to the pills and must remain loyal to the Program to get hold of them) he gets to keep the Jury-Rig ability, which represents his SpecOps combat engineer training. His Backgrounds are in Military Spec Ops and Law Enforcement. His Knowledges are Police Procedures and Psychology (He knows how to push peoples' buttons).

The red pills provide Bull's Strength (Greater), Cat's Grace, and the ability to make unarmed attacks as a Pugilist of his own level. His alignment shifts to NE and he suffers from violent impulses, obsessive behavior and psychotic delusions. The physical effects of a pill last 1d6 minutes, after which his stats return to normal but the psychological effects remain. Within 1d10 hours he needs another, blue pill to "come down" and stabilize or he will go into cardiac arrest per the suffocation rules in the Companion page 82.

Even after physically stabilized, the psychological effects remain. This is why, immediately after coming down, he must take a white pill to stabilize himself between red/blue doses. Taking this pill allows him a saving throw every hour to regain his sanity and sense of self. Until he succeeds, he retains the mental effects of the red/blue pills. While stable, he is N in alignment and has a markedly different, calmer and more rational personality.

There you have it: That's Nuke as he appears in the JJ series.

And right there is a class in how to think outside the box with Amazing Adventures ;)

Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:43 pm
Ulthal

A great example! Thank you so much. I am sure I will refer to that in the future.

He is a minor character but the more I think about him the more interesting he gets. This series has a lot of depth to it -- each character is like a foil to all the others. Iterations on a theme. I sure hope it will be renewed.

When I played 3.5 D&D I always thought character creation was a horrible chore. Like, I would sooner clean the floor than open up all those books. The rules were so intricate and complex it was a bit like doing taxes. When we got to the higher levels I actually had to use a computer program to keep track of everything. I also had a binder to take to the table so I could keep track of my spells. Insanity and definitely NOT fun. paperwork paperwork paperwork

I have been having so much fun creating NPCs for AA in comparison. The classes have the flexibility they were aiming for in 3.5 but the system is so much easier to use. I even was able to fit Willie Nelson in! haha

Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]