Victorious Impressions - Print Copy

Forum for discussion of Victorious, the upcoming Siege Engine RPG

Moderator: DMMike

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Victorious Impressions - Print Copy

Post by Treebore »

DMMike wrote:...and we're still waiting for the hardcopies. BTW, thanks Treebore for the pdfs!

Mike
No problem! Pretty bad that the Trolls can't get copies to the author in a timely manner, especially PDF's!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

marroon69
Mist Elf

Post by marroon69 »

Will there be a response to the issues with the print run? Or was there and I missed it.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

marroon69 wrote:Will there be a response to the issues with the print run? Or was there and I missed it.
Nothing official. My personal impression is the Trolls are going to publlicly act as if nothing went wrong, and fix the mistake for any future printings. Which isn't really surprising, since they can't afford to fix the first printing. It would be nice to see Troll Steve at least apologize for making a very avoidable mistake on the first printing.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

marroon69
Mist Elf

Post by marroon69 »

Really? That is sort of shady business practice in my opinion. It is not like it was not seen and pointed out on this forum and the google+ pages. I am not asking for them to reprint, I understand they are small press but an acknowledgment would be nice. Companies like Paizo have on several occasions acknowledged issue in printing, I never got a refund or free book but they accepted their blunder publicly. This project was a year overdue and then it seems it was rushed to completion. I do not have an issue waiting for quality but this was not it. They have a ton of Kickstarters running and I hope the others are more successful than this one. I am not very pleased with what I received, I guess waiting for the second printing of things might be a good idea going forward.....

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

marroon69 wrote:Really? That is sort of shady business practice in my opinion. It is not like it was not seen and pointed out on this forum and the google+ pages. I am not asking for them to reprint, I understand they are small press but an acknowledgment would be nice. Companies like Paizo have on several occasions acknowledged issue in printing, I never got a refund or free book but they accepted their blunder publicly. This project was a year overdue and then it seems it was rushed to completion. I do not have an issue waiting for quality but this was not it. They have a ton of Kickstarters running and I hope the others are more successful than this one. I am not very pleased with what I received, I guess waiting for the second printing of things might be a good idea going forward.....
Well, its not like the errors ruin the playablility of the rules. Plus I have already written in the "XX" page numbers in my HC and my leatherette copy. But yes, I think it would be wise of Steve to publicly own up to how he screwed this book up. He's done it for prior books where he sent the wrong PDF to the printer. Which was it, the HH GMG?

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Treebore wrote:
DMMike wrote:...and we're still waiting for the hardcopies. BTW, thanks Treebore for the pdfs!

Mike
No problem! Pretty bad that the Trolls can't get copies to the author in a timely manner, especially PDF's!
Treebore, we sent him his copies as we do with all the writers/designers. We send the only after all backers have shipped. It's a company policy.

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Treebore wrote:
marroon69 wrote:Will there be a response to the issues with the print run? Or was there and I missed it.
Nothing official. My personal impression is the Trolls are going to publlicly act as if nothing went wrong, and fix the mistake for any future printings. Which isn't really surprising, since they can't afford to fix the first printing. It would be nice to see Troll Steve at least apologize for making a very avoidable mistake on the first printing.
I haven't seen this errata sheet. I asked you to email it to me over on google plus and I believe your response was "what email? really steve"?

I would love to see what you are talking about, please be to email me the errata you have found over to my steve account.

Thanks,
Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

marroon69 wrote:Really? That is sort of shady business practice in my opinion. It is not like it was not seen and pointed out on this forum and the google+ pages. I am not asking for them to reprint, I understand they are small press but an acknowledgment would be nice. Companies like Paizo have on several occasions acknowledged issue in printing, I never got a refund or free book but they accepted their blunder publicly. This project was a year overdue and then it seems it was rushed to completion. I do not have an issue waiting for quality but this was not it. They have a ton of Kickstarters running and I hope the others are more successful than this one. I am not very pleased with what I received, I guess waiting for the second printing of things might be a good idea going forward.....
As I mentioned I've not seen this errata sheet, or editing mistakes sheet. So I'm not sure it yet qualifies me for being a shady business man, something I don't really think I am. We are pretty honest and forthright when it comes to errors and mistakes we have made in the past, but I generally hold off until I see what they are, the severity of them, etc etc.

:)

But please send me an email to [email protected] and we'll get you a full refund! :)

Kind Regards,
Stephen Chenault

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Treebore wrote:
Well, its not like the errors ruin the playablility of the rules. Plus I have already written in the "XX" page numbers in my HC and my leatherette copy. But yes, I think it would be wise of Steve to publicly own up to how he screwed this book up. He's done it for prior books where he sent the wrong PDF to the printer. Which was it, the HH GMG?
Yes a page was added to the HH GMG and knocked maps off a page.

Please send me the editing sheet you have on this game. Send it to [email protected].

Kind Regards,
Steve Chenault

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Oh, and to be clear we got the hardcopies, something like 6 rulebooks and 1 copy of each supplement save for the GM screen. Now to look over both books and pdfs! Liz and I will investigate more...

Mike, glad to have the books!
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Troll Lord wrote:
Treebore wrote:
I haven't seen this errata sheet. I asked you to email it to me over on google plus and I believe your response was "what email? really steve"?

I would love to see what you are talking about, please be to email me the errata you have found over to my steve account.

Thanks,
Steve
When I get the one done of the current printing, I'll send it to Tim. He can get it to you. I am still too leary of your e-mail pit of darkness. As for the one prior to being printed, if you never got it, no wonder why there are so damn many silly mistakes. Which again is why I am extremely wary of sending anything to your e-mail. If you never saw it back then, why should I trust that you will see it now? Or, apparently, the errors found by the others? So hopefully Tim will ensure it happens this time.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Treebore wrote:
When I get the one done of the current printing, I'll send it to Tim. He can get it to you. I am still too leary of your e-mail pit of darkness. As for the one prior to being printed, if you never got it, no wonder why there are so damn many silly mistakes. Which again is why I am extremely wary of sending anything to your e-mail. If you never saw it back then, why should I trust that you will see it now? Or, apparently, the errors found by the others? So hopefully Tim will ensure it happens this time.
Robert,

So, you are telling me, that prior to printing you sent me a word document listing mistakes in Victorious MS? Clearly your emails aren't arriving in my inbox. Send me the time stamp on that email so I can connect with my provider and find out why your emails specifically aren't getting to me.

In the meantime send me the list of corrections you sent in that first email now. Don't send me the list of corrections you are compiling now, after it went to print, as I want to compare the copious notes you made on the digital MS sent out via OBS so I can see what was missed.

Don't bother Tim with this mess, he has other things on his plate right now.

Kind Regards,
Steve Chenault

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Thanks for dropping in, Steve.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

marroon69
Mist Elf

Post by marroon69 »

Troll Lord wrote:
As I mentioned I've not seen this errata sheet, or editing mistakes sheet. So I'm not sure it yet qualifies me for being a shady business man, something I don't really think I am. We are pretty honest and forthright when it comes to errors and mistakes we have made in the past, but I generally hold off until I see what they are, the severity of them, etc etc.

But please send me an email to [email protected] and we'll get you a full refund! :)

Kind Regards,
Stephen Chenault
Thank you for dropping by and taking a look at this. I guess I sounded like a jerk but I was getting a little pissed with no word for close to a month.I do not want a full refund but thank you for offering. What I wanted was someone to acknowledge the issue and figure out if there will be any action taken. I will wait to see what you think...

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Troll Lord wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Robert,

So, you are telling me, that prior to printing you sent me a word document listing mistakes in Victorious MS? Clearly your emails aren't arriving in my inbox. Send me the time stamp on that email so I can connect with my provider and find out why your emails specifically aren't getting to me.

In the meantime send me the list of corrections you sent in that first email now. Don't send me the list of corrections you are compiling now, after it went to print, as I want to compare the copious notes you made on the digital MS sent out via OBS so I can see what was missed.

Kind Regards,
Steve Chenault
I would love too, but the whole reason I am doing it from scratch is my sent folder on my e-mail gets cleaned out automaticeally once every two weeks AND 5 or 6 weeks ago my Desktop crashed and burned. So I don't have any of that stuff saved since I couldn't recover my HD and had to go with a completely new one. I thought I had also saved it to my G+ Drive, but its not there either.

So I am doing it from scratch all over again. I am finding quit bit, since I am also looking for any and all spelling errors on top of just the obvious mistakes, such as missing page numbers (p., XX, at least 4 of these), etc... I have yet to count it all, but I am pretty sure I am over 2 dozen mistakes and spelling errors found. I think there are issues with capitalization too, with regards to when attributes are discussed, but I am not clear on those kind of grammar rules, so I will happily let Traveller work that stuff out.

I almost finished the book tonight, so hopefully I will get it to you by Monday. I'll make sure you get it, I'll send it to your e-mail, PM it to you from here, ping you on G+ and probably Twitter too.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Attributes, skills, and powers should all be consistently capitalized, as they are proper nouns. Thus, "Strength, Prime, and Blast", not "strength, prime, and blast". If you're talking about attributes in general terms, such as "having the strength of ten men", you wouldn't capitalize "strength" since you are not talking about the attribute itself.

Power descriptions in character writeups should be capitalized, e.g. "Force Screen 3 (+3 Mystical, +6 Temporal)" rather than "Force Screen 3 (+3 mystical, +6 temporal)". Power modifiers such as "always on" should not be capitalized within the character writeups.

Prices in pounds sterling are written as "£N.Ns.Nd". Historically, "£N,Ns,Nd" and "£N Ns Nd" were both used, but using spaces in Victorious led to confusion as to the actual price, and commas were less frequently used than periods.

Tree, send me a link to the finished PDF so I can check it against the manuscript.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Traveller wrote:Attributes, skills, and powers should all be consistently capitalized, as they are proper nouns. Thus, "Strength, Prime, and Blast", not "strength, prime, and blast". If you're talking about attributes in general terms, such as "having the strength of ten men", you wouldn't capitalize "strength" since you are not talking about the attribute itself.

Power descriptions in character writeups should be capitalized, e.g. "Force Screen 3 (+3 Mystical, +6 Temporal)" rather than "Force Screen 3 (+3 mystical, +6 temporal)". Power modifiers such as "always on" should not be capitalized within the character writeups.

Prices in pounds sterling are written as "£N.Ns.Nd". Historically, "£N,Ns,Nd" and "£N Ns Nd" were both used, but using spaces in Victorious led to confusion as to the actual price, and commas were less frequently used than periods.

Tree, send me a link to the finished PDF so I can check it against the manuscript.

I was already planning to send what I have found to you and Mike.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Aergraith wrote:Thanks for dropping in, Steve.
Trollzah! Mike sent me an email and I headed over here.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

marroon69 wrote:
Troll Lord wrote:

Kind Regards,
Stephen Chenault
Thank you for dropping by and taking a look at this. I guess I sounded like a jerk but I was getting a little pissed with no word for close to a month.I do not want a full refund but thank you for offering. What I wanted was someone to acknowledge the issue and figure out if there will be any action taken. I will wait to see what you think...
Understood and no problem. I had no idea this discussion was going on until Mike dropped me an email. I don't get to the boards very often as its always a headache for me to get on.

:D

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Treebore wrote:
Troll Lord wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Robert,

Kind Regards,
Steve Chenault
I would love too, but the whole reason I am doing it from scratch is my sent folder on my e-mail gets cleaned out automaticeally once every two weeks AND 5 or 6 weeks ago my Desktop crashed and burned. So I don't have any of that stuff saved since I couldn't recover my HD and had to go with a completely new one. I thought I had also saved it to my G+ Drive, but its not there either.

So I am doing it from scratch all over again. I am finding quit bit, since I am also looking for any and all spelling errors on top of just the obvious mistakes, such as missing page numbers (p., XX, at least 4 of these), etc... I have yet to count it all, but I am pretty sure I am over 2 dozen mistakes and spelling errors found. I think there are issues with capitalization too, with regards to when attributes are discussed, but I am not clear on those kind of grammar rules, so I will happily let Traveller work that stuff out.

I almost finished the book tonight, so hopefully I will get it to you by Monday. I'll make sure you get it, I'll send it to your e-mail, PM it to you from here, ping you on G+ and probably Twitter too.
Roger the issues.

Yeah, email is best, or facebook (stephen chenault, not castles & crusades) as I tend to check it everyday. Twitter I try to get on every day, but do not so. And for some reason Google+ is just a bridge too far, one too many social media sites. haha

Steve

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Still working my way through the bestiary, then need to type everything up. I hope to get it all done tomorrow, but I am going out for at least half the day, so probably not until Wednesday.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

This is what I have getting through the Bestiary, not the remainder of the book.

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 8
Column: 1
Paragraph Number: 7
Line: 8
Errata: Invisble ManBaba =Invisible Man, Baba

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 10
Column: 2
Paragraph Number: 1 AND 4
Line: 3 and 11, of respective paragraphs
Errata: Page XX, needs to be Page 35 (possibly 23) and Page 48, respectively.

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 23
Line: 4
Errata: $40 1.60 = $41.60

Page Number (of PRINT copy):23
Paragraph Number:7
Line:10
Errata: Fore=For a poverty shortcoming

Line: Last
Errata: Can’t make the British pound sign, so using US money symbol: $17 s. should be $ 17s. As it is, it indicates it is 17 pounds, not 17 schillings.

Paragraph Number: 1
Line: 3
Errata: $400 should be $415, since conversion has been 1:5.

Errata: rankof = rank of

Line: Last 2 lines
Errata: Check conversion math. It is not a ratio of 1:5 established in column 1, last paragraph, first sentence.
Page Number (of PRINT copy): 31
Paragraph Number: Only one.
Line: All the text
Errata: Remove box around the text.

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 36
Paragraph Number: Last
Line: 1
Errata: victorious = Victorious

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 38
Paragraph Number: 3
Line: 2
Errata: (XX) needs to be p. 45

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 44
Errata: Climbing = climbing

Paragraph Number: 2
Errata: Need to decide if Challenge Level is a name of something or not. If it is, Capitalize all instances. Otherwise, not errata.

Line: 6
Errata: (XX) needs to be p. 13

Errata: Level should be level

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 45
Paragraph Number: 3 and 4, etc…
Line: 2 etc…
Errata: Strength, when being discussed as an attribute, should be Capitalized in all instances, since it’s a name of something specific, of which there are more instances than just the ones I mention.

Paragraph Number: several
Line: several
Errata: strength check. Again, this is the name of a specific mechanic/rule, names should be capitalized.

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 46
Errata: inquiry agent is the name of a class in Victorious, so needs to be capitalized

Errata: there = their

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 51
Paragraph Number: 3 and 4
Line: All
Errata: Not in italics, despite still being in the “voice” of Nellie Bly

Line: 11
Errata: “he”. Seems like it shouldn’t even be there to me.

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 52
Paragraph Number: 2 and 3
Line: Several
Errata: The Hansom and Growler are names for specific vehicles, proper or not, so should be capitalized in all instances.

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 56
Column: Event Table
Paragraph Number: N/A
Line: Event 7, line 1
Errata: Axel is Axle

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 57
Line: 7
Errata: crises is crisis

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 69
Errata: Colonly and Nyew York. Colony and New York.

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 74
Paragraph Number: Term Nobbler
Errata: ganglords – gang lords

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 75
Errata: convinction = conviction

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 78
Paragraph Number: 1893 listing
Errata: temporailay, temporarily

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 80
Paragraph Number: 1896, Scientific
Errata: telegraphy = telegraph

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 81
Paragraph Number: last
Errata: caps = camps

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 86
Errata: admits of? No idea why this is here. “enables the body” would definitely work better.

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 89
Paragraph Number: 4
Errata: Its confusing. “comprehending Camels properly so called and llamas”?
In the very next sentence “hoofs” probably should be hooves.

Errata: “miles in the twenty”, “the” needs to be removed.

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 93
Errata: “being” = be

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 94
Line: 5
Errata: aand = and

Errata: much = must

Errata: “star”?? maybe “stairs”?

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 95
Errata: Corpse golem = Corpse Golem

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Treebore wrote:This is what I have getting through the Bestiary, not the remainder of the book.

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 8
Line: 8
Errata: Invisble ManBaba =Invisible Man, Baba

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 10
Paragraph Number: 1 AND 4
Line: 3 and 11, of respective paragraphs
Errata: Page XX, needs to be Page 35 (possibly 23) and Page 48, respectively.

Errata: $40 1.60 = $41.60

Page Number (of PRINT copy):23
Paragraph Number:7
Line:10
Errata: Fore=For a poverty shortcoming

Errata: Can’t make the British pound sign, so using US money symbol: $17 s. should be $ 17s. As it is, it indicates it is 17 pounds, not 17 schillings.

Errata: $400 should be $415, since conversion has been 1:5.

Errata: rankof = rank of

Errata: Check conversion math. It is not a ratio of 1:5 established in column 1, last paragraph, first sentence.
Page Number (of PRINT copy): 31
Paragraph Number: Only one.
Line: All the text
Errata: Remove box around the text.

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 36
Errata: victorious = Victorious

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 38
Errata: (XX) needs to be p. 45

Errata: Climbing = climbing

Errata: Need to decide if Challenge Level is a name of something or not. If it is, Capitalize all instances. Otherwise, not errata.

Errata: (XX) needs to be p. 13

Errata: Level should be level

Paragraph Number: 3 and 4, etc…
Line: 2 etc…
Errata: Strength, when being discussed as an attribute, should be Capitalized in all instances, since it’s a name of something specific, of which there are more instances than just the ones I mention.

Paragraph Number: several
Line: several
Errata: strength check. Again, this is the name of a specific mechanic/rule, names should be capitalized.

Errata: inquiry agent is the name of a class in Victorious, so needs to be capitalized

Errata: there = their

Paragraph Number: 3 and 4
Line: All
Errata: Not in italics, despite still being in the “voice” of Nellie Bly

Line: 11
Errata: “he”. Seems like it shouldn’t even be there to me.

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 52
Paragraph Number: 2 and 3
Line: Several
Errata: The Hansom and Growler are names for specific vehicles, proper or not, so should be capitalized in all instances.

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 56
Column: Event Table
Paragraph Number: N/A
Line: Event 7, line 1
Errata: Axel is Axle

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 57
Errata: crises is crisis

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 69
Errata: Colonly and Nyew York. Colony and New York.

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 74
Paragraph Number: Term Nobbler
Errata: ganglords – gang lords

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 75
Errata: convinction = conviction

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 78
Paragraph Number: 1893 listing
Errata: temporailay, temporarily

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 80
Paragraph Number: 1896, Scientific
Errata: telegraphy = telegraph

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 81
Paragraph Number: last
Errata: caps = camps

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 86
Errata: admits of? No idea why this is here. “enables the body” would definitely work better.

Errata: Its confusing. “comprehending Camels properly so called and llamas”?
In the very next sentence “hoofs” probably should be hooves.

Errata: “miles in the twenty”, “the” needs to be removed.

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 93
Errata: “being” = be

Line: 5
Errata: aand = and

Errata: much = must

Errata: “star”?? maybe “stairs”?

Page Number (of PRINT copy): 95
Errata: Corpse golem = Corpse Golem
Thanks for the hard work Tree! I'm ccing this off to Steve ASAP.

BTW, the "Perception skill should be removed from the "Inquiry Agent" class as it was dropped later in the development.

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com