TLG 8125 Classic Monsters (Available)

This forum is a rarely properly updated forum that discusses everything we are working on at the Dens!
MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Re: Classic Monsters The Manual

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Geleg wrote:just got the pdf, and it looks good.

A typo leaped off the page at me on p. 19, under Behir, though: the Behir is said to attack 'viscously'

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Shrieking Emu wrote:
Shrieking Emu wrote:If we backed at a level high enough to get the other books, module, t-shirt, etc., - do we have to wait until Classic Monsters is printed to get the bundle?
We have to ship it all together or it would be a shipping night mare of half bent packages! ;)

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Geleg wrote:just got the pdf, and it looks good.

A typo leaped off the page at me on p. 19, under Behir, though: the Behir is said to attack 'viscously', when it should be 'viciously'.
LOLOLOL

Steve

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Man! This updated .pdf for Classic Monsters looks SWEET! I was kind of worried what was going to happen to Classic Monsters after the big update. Those worries are completely alleviated. I am really looking forward to the print version of this book. Wow, totally awesom guys.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Meanwhile the layout guy and artist has suffered a nervous break down and currently spends his day talking about himself in the third person, and finds brightly coloured string and folded paper shapes quite fascinating. :shock:
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

gideon_thorne wrote:Meanwhile the layout guy and artist has suffered a nervous break down and currently spends his day talking about himself in the third person, and finds brightly coloured string and folded paper shapes quite fascinating. :shock:
You say this like it's something wrong. :?:

By the way, terrific job with the layout and art. The only thing wrong with this art, is there isn't enough of it. One cannot have too much of this swell stuff!
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Omote wrote:Man! This updated .pdf for Classic Monsters looks SWEET! I was kind of worried what was going to happen to Classic Monsters after the big update. Those worries are completely alleviated. I am really looking forward to the print version of this book. Wow, totally awesom guys.

~O

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

AGNKim wrote: (a movin' pitchur show)
Something for the stereotypical lonely gamer fanboy?
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet

magick3six
Ungern

Post by magick3six »

Looking awesome. Can't wait for some printed book.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I have yet to see the PDF. Looking forward to both print and electronic.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

dense guy here, what's different in the update?
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Lots o' errata, some licensing things, etc. Substantively, it's still basically the same book.

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Some minor changes, such as kobolds now being 75 HD monsters and hobbits having flame breath. Hardly anything you'd notice.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Wow! That sounds curious. I thought it was just the ogl thing and some names changed.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Relaxo wrote:Wow! That sounds curious. I thought it was just the ogl thing and some names changed.
Only three name changes that I saw. Luck Beasts are now called "Liberals." Sandman creatures are called "Republican candidates."

Oh yes - Orcus has had his name changed to "Sally."
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

The ones from Gods and Monsters are not in there, Haunted Highlands critters aren't, and some later Aihrde creatures that are in the A series (A10 has two new monsters in it). I think that is it. Its a few monsters.

Steve
Since the rest of the monsters stat blocks won't be included, I went ahead and assembled them (except whatever is in A8-10 and DA1, as I don't have them) into a document. With the Trolls permission I'd like to share it.
Peter's Guide to Everything Else (WIP)
Ruin (WIP)
5e Indexes
AD&D Indexes
BECMI Indexes

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Peter wrote:
The ones from Gods and Monsters are not in there, Haunted Highlands critters aren't, and some later Aihrde creatures that are in the A series (A10 has two new monsters in it). I think that is it. Its a few monsters.

Steve
Since the rest of the monsters stat blocks won't be included, I went ahead and assembled them (except whatever is in A8-10 and DA1, as I don't have them) into a document. With the Trolls permission I'd like to share it.
Please, oh please, please, please? I'd be glad to add A8-10 & DA1 for you!
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet

DaveyB
Red Cap

Post by DaveyB »

Found another typo on Pg. 82 under the Nafuel entry in the Combat section, second paragraph. It says:
the split blood forms into a smaller version of the creature.
I'm assuming this should be spilt.

Also on Pg. 84 under the Osmosious entry it makes reference to something called an oblivax in the first sentence on that page.
An oblivax can steal memories from creatures of at least inferior intelligence.
I'm assuming it should have been Osmosious.

On Pg. 106 under the Throat Leech entry, at least on the iPad, the text overlaps upon the bottom of the illustration a bit.

Those are the only things I've come across so far. These are obviously for the PDF version and can hopefully be fixed in the print copy.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I was surprised at how many monsters you guys had to change. Were all those mandatory changes because of protected names, or was it more a precautionary measure? Just out ouf curiosity...
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

The XP for the lurker seems wrong it is listed as 150 + 10 in the newest version and 150 + 3 in the first version. BUt 10 HD is min 600

-Mike

Thanks MG! I think Peter got that one.

But this book is lumbering off to press today. No more corrections.

Thanks to all for your help! Trollzah.

I will submit to Itunes,Nook/Kindle and RPGNow and Drivthru beginning today as well.

Steve

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

When can we expect the epub (Nook) version?
Ruin (WIP)
5e Indexes
AD&D Indexes
BECMI Indexes

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Peter wrote:When can we expect the epub (Nook) version?
HERE'S a man after my own heart -- which I keep in a small jar on my desk.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

RPGNowand Drivthru versions are up.
Kindle version is up
Nook should be up tomorrow.

And with luck we'll get a revised schedule on the print copy tomorrow.

Thanks,
Steve

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

I should of phrased that differently. When are the backers getting the epub version? That is the version I requested with my order. Instead I keep getting pdfs :P
Ruin (WIP)
5e Indexes
AD&D Indexes
BECMI Indexes

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Peter wrote:I should of phrased that differently. When are the backers getting the epub version? That is the version I requested with my order. Instead I keep getting pdfs :P

It's available on BN http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/castles ... c+monsters

I'm sure they will send to you post haste.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

It would be even better if we could download it off'n the B&N site, where it would reside in the Nook's memory rather than our 32GB microcards which are already stuffed full of DriveThruRPG, Lybrary.com, DriveThruComics, DriveThruFiction, and Comixology files. I may even spring the extra bucks to do just that. Though I have the dreaded feeling that the epub version will be minus a lot of them pretty pictures of them purty orcs and thin's.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Speaking of Barnes & Nosebulls, I just posted the following review at their site, since no one else had:

This is based on the PDF, as I haven't seen the Nook version yet, and will review it again (if this site will let me) when it comes in.
Currently, I'd have to say this is the best "monster" book I've seen for any rolegame. It doesn't stoop to the sensational, the gruesome-for-gruesomeness-sake, or manga-type illustrations or descriptions. Indeed, the art is some of the best I've seen; some look like fine charcoal and pencil art. The writing is succinct, and attempts are made to include suitable substitutes for challenging creatures which normally won't be used out of D&D's official books. Heck, it's just fun to read, even if you never use anything from the book!
Another thing, is that Kim has done an admirable job of balancing not telling SO much about the creatures, that players can cheat and know more than their characters; and telling enough that gamesmasters (called "Castle Keepers" by the most loyal of Castles & Crusades players) can really use these critters effectively, and adapt them as they see necessary. ("Who'd have thought that the disenchanter could be distracted by Hostess Fruit Pies TM?") (What? You don't adapt things to trip up rules lawyers who study the gamesmaster's material?)
If the Nook version includes the art, this is worth far more than the five stars maximum. Even without the art, it's a solid 4.5 out of 5.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

MormonYoYoMan wrote:Speaking of Barnes & Nosebulls, I just posted the following review at their site, since no one else had:

This is based on the PDF, as I haven't seen the Nook version yet, and will review it again (if this site will let me) when it comes in.
Currently, I'd have to say this is the best "monster" book I've seen for any rolegame. It doesn't stoop to the sensational, the gruesome-for-gruesomeness-sake, or manga-type illustrations or descriptions. Indeed, the art is some of the best I've seen; some look like fine charcoal and pencil art. The writing is succinct, and attempts are made to include suitable substitutes for challenging creatures which normally won't be used out of D&D's official books. Heck, it's just fun to read, even if you never use anything from the book!
Another thing, is that Kim has done an admirable job of balancing not telling SO much about the creatures, that players can cheat and know more than their characters; and telling enough that gamesmasters (called "Castle Keepers" by the most loyal of Castles & Crusades players) can really use these critters effectively, and adapt them as they see necessary. ("Who'd have thought that the disenchanter could be distracted by Hostess Fruit Pies TM?") (What? You don't adapt things to trip up rules lawyers who study the gamesmaster's material?)
If the Nook version includes the art, this is worth far more than the five stars maximum. Even without the art, it's a solid 4.5 out of 5.
This truly made me tear up a little. Thank you.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

MormonYoYoMan wrote:It would be even better if we could download it off'n the B&N site, where it would reside in the Nook's memory rather than our 32GB microcards which are already stuffed full of DriveThruRPG, Lybrary.com, DriveThruComics, DriveThruFiction, and Comixology files. I may even spring the extra bucks to do just that. Though I have the dreaded feeling that the epub version will be minus a lot of them pretty pictures of them purty orcs and thin's.
Just download to your computer then use USB to put wherever you like on the nook. I do.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

The Nook Tablet is supposed to be using a "cloud" memory, either now or in the near future. As of last November, it was - for B&N downloads - using a protected area of memory that we (without rooting) couldn't get to. Either way (and I'm pushing for the cloud thing to happen Real Soon Now) I'd druther use B&N's memory than my own. I'm ruthless that way, and you'd be pretty rotten without Ruth too.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet