TLG 8126 Codex of Aihrde (Preorder)

This forum is to discuss TLGs crowdfunding projects.
(NOTE: Until sorted, it will have legacy, non-crowdfunding threads in)
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Re: TLG 8126 Codex of Aihrde (Preorder)

Post by Buttmonkey »

Treebore wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:I'm a little confused about what the Codex is supposed to be. Is it a gazetteer for use in running a campaign in Aihrde? Is it fantasy fiction about a campaign world's history a la The Silmarillion? Is it something else?

Looks like its going to be what its been since the D20 book, lots of world history, with history on notable figures, etc... general descriptions of the lands with some details about notable locations, with most of the maps left blank for us to add whatever we want to add, etc... I just hope Steve avoids repeating himself in different places like he did a few times in the new Runelord book.
If he sticks with the plan to tell the world's history from different races' perspectives, there is bound to be lots of repetition.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:I'm a little confused about what the Codex is supposed to be. Is it a gazetteer for use in running a campaign in Aihrde? Is it fantasy fiction about a campaign world's history a la The Silmarillion? Is it something else?

Looks like its going to be what its been since the D20 book, lots of world history, with history on notable figures, etc... general descriptions of the lands with some details about notable locations, with most of the maps left blank for us to add whatever we want to add, etc... I just hope Steve avoids repeating himself in different places like he did a few times in the new Runelord book.
If he sticks with the plan to tell the world's history from different races' perspectives, there is bound to be lots of repetition.
He can probably go light when he gets to a different race's perspective only highlighting the differences and biasedness of that race

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Buttmonkey wrote:
Treebore wrote:

I've split this sucker into two books. You can see them here on the ANVIL. I've pulled out the third and final Doug Kovacs cover for use on the Players Guide to Aihrde.

The first book, The Codex of Aihrde, will consist of a the Mythology and History of the world, as well as a breakdown of each country within the land of Ursal, with heraldry. All this followed by significant terrain features and for the world and the maps. It will also include the deities, etc etc.

The second book, the Players Guide to Aihrde will have the racial classes in it (gnome, dwarf, elf, halfling and maybe halforc), as well new spells classes, (all those in the present d20 Codex of Aihrde with more added in). It will also contain significant guilds, with playable information and information on deities. It will include race history from the point of view of each race, these sections won't have much if any repitition in them. But it will include background info such as the plane of Seven Rivers where the elves come from, more information on the different tribes of men, etc etc.

The hardest part to work in the Codex is the mythology. That's the section I'm doing now. So much was cut from the original and so much as sense been added that I'm assembling, writing and rewriting the section. Once its done it becomes more of an edit and clean up job for the country and terrain entries.

Steve

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

That sounds pretty good to me.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Alright, sidetracked to the Dragon Riders of Aathuk. Cleared that out of the way and now back to the Goblin-Dwarf Wars. I'll post so more teaser text in the next few days, probably monday.

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Raw text . . . .

The Dragon Riders of Aatuk
As is written the men of Aathuk wandered far afield, leaving the Forge of the All Father even before the first of the dwarven kingdoms. They settled, as all their peoples did, upon the Sea of Erun, but migrated with the other tribes, crossing the Dulcet and into the Wilderness. Their journey was a long one and early on they left the other tribes upon the northern shores, crossing at first the great isle that later bore the name of Gal-Land.

In the Gal-land they dwelt for some time, building towns upon the sea, but there came an age where Mailuhm flew high and far from the world and the seas in those climes froze. The Aathuk, always restless, moved north, crossing the ice bridge into a wide empty land. They explored the country and found little life there, for few could stand the snow, the ice and cold. The growing seasons were short and those creatures that dwelt there, large bears, seals, huge ox and other bovines were fierce and not easy to hunt or harvest. But the land was quiet and still, the forests deep, the mountains stark, cut and carved by the ever blowing wind. Here the Aathuk found a true home, for they were a people of themselves and lived as was their want, far from the haunts of man or god.

They wandered ever further, exploring the vast wasteland. They broke apart as a people, spreading out in small bands. Some preferred the coasts, others the woods, still others the higher mountains and start landscapes that touched the skies. They built vast mansions and towers to house them and they trafficked with each other when in need. They built sleds to cross the icy tundra and boats propelled by magic to cut the frozen sea.

They traded with few others but for the dwarves that dwelt in the Channel Lakes and Turmberg and those of Nogdrick Kam. The Aathuk studied all they came across, but mostly they cast themselves into the heavens, seeking an understanding of the All Father and the gods of the Val-Earhakun. In these early ages they mastered shaping stone like none but the dwarves and they built towers upon the slopes and hills, and later the mountains. They mastered glass and from them came the working of that material in many shapes and sizes. They built viewing scopes and watched things afar and the heavens became the object of their desires.

Of the dwarves they learned the runes and the magic contained in them and with these they built flying ships and greater viewing scopes. They plied the heavens, climbing ever higher into the emptiness, seeking to find gateways to the other worlds and the Void.

The Aathuk paid homage to no gods but worshiped themselves and the elements more than all else. And in their youth they mastered the dragons.

It is said that a Prince of their people, Cynquil, came upon three dragons feasting on a bovine of his heard. He called to the dragons, not knowing their true nature and ordered them to be off, thinking he at least could salvage the meat. But the beasts only growled, the larger of them, turning on the kill to face the young man. Cynquil hesitated, and though armed with a sword and a shirt of chain, he did not know what strength the beasts possessed. He watched them through the long morning.

He saw the dragons were meticulous in their actions. As they ate, they cleaned themselves, and any disagreement caused them to stretch out their necks, and show their armored hides, fangs or claws. They spoke to one another in the vulgate, though the words seemed to tumble into the air more than from their throats or mouths. He listened to them and thought they sounded petty as they bragged one to the other of deeds or misdeeds.

At last Cynquil rose and strode amongst the dragons and they growled, spreading wings across the ground and tails snapping to and fro. As Cynquil approached he cast runes into the air and walked through them, making him seem ever greater than he was, and he was already a great man. When he stood in their midst he uttered more runes casting them out and about to settle like chains upon the dragons for they were charming runes and runes designed to ease one's mind and open it to suggestions. But when he spoke his tongue was honey and dripped of kindnesses, compliments and other words of praise that made the dragon's minds ease and think better of the Prince.

He talked then of flying and wondered aloud how it must be to fly so high in the heavens. In truth he knew, for he piloted a craft that sailed the skies. And the dragon offered to bare him aloft, thinking he could shake this creature from his back and slay him. So Cynquil climbed onto the dragons back and bound himself there with runes. Hardly had Cynquil finished his runes than the beast launched into the air, beating it into submission. With powerful strokes it rose, clearing the forest in short order. It climbed high and fast, rode the winds and cut the clouds and Cynquil knew such joy as no man or beast in all the wide world. His laughter pealed on high and he called the beast the greatest of all creatures of the sky, earth and seas. The dragon's heart softened at these words and it took a primal joy in the man's happiness. For many hours they flew until the beast returned to the clearing and its kill. The dragon's companions had finished the feast and looked up at their return.

Once upon the ground Cynquil called the beast many complimentary names, crowning him with his language. And the dragon was secretly gratified.

But then Cynquil challenged the dragon to battle, offering to spar with him, not onto the death, but in a contest only, for he deemed the dragon held his might above all things. Indeed he was a dragon young, but in the full of his power. And the dragon thought to himself that here was an easy proof of this creature's frail being and took up the challenge. In deeds both bold and swift Cynquil defeated the beast, wielding runes and blade in concert. At last the dragon fell to his arms and called for mercy and Cynquil called him friend and servant and bound the beast to him.

"No mercy can I give oh drake of heaven's sent. For I deem you have held back the greater of your powers in this contest and given me the victory for such a creature you are." Though in truth Cynquil knew he had bested the dragon.

And the dragon became enamored of Cynquil and knew his words were true and he was the greater of the two for he had spared the man. And it seemed to him that he must stay with the man, protect him and allow him to visit the heavens on high.

So the first of the dragon riders came to be.

The power of the Aathuk rose in the estimation of all people then, for the greatest of their peoples mastered dragons. Always in the same manner, to conquer and subdue, to offer flattery in place of condemnation and make the dragon seem a beast greater than it was. And they were great indeed. Many of the Aathuk died in taming dragons, for ever was it a wild beast that they had to capture and though few dragons were as strong as Cynquil's, few men were as strong as the Prince. But those who won through, did so to ride dragons upon the heavens and serve their people in peace and in war.

After many centuries of peace the power of the Aathuk spread beyond the land of Aatuk and they came to hold sway over the vast country of the Channel Lakes, the lands of the east in Januk and the broad Forest of Rond. These are held the Avowed Years of that people for dark Kings ruled them in madness and chaos. They used the power of the dragons to build an empire that spread beyond the alabaster towers of their homes. Men bore them as gods and paid them tribute in whatever manner they deemed fit or able. Few could withstand the dragon riders and their power waxed great. Tis rumored that the Naarheit rose high in their estimation, and though never worshiped, his shadow is seen upon the halls of the Aathuk, so that those who were weak and willful listened to his call and became as slaves to his madness. The Aathuk ruled thus for a thousand years, mirroring the power of the south and the dwarven Kings of Alanti.

In their interactions with the dwarves, they passed on the knowledge of dragon mastery to only a few. The dwarves of Nogdrick Kam, long allies and friends, took to it as no others of that people. And only a few of the tribes of men, who wandered wild in the world, and these few were numbered. What was common in Aatuk and Nogdrick Kam proved rare elsewhere.

In time the power of the Aathuk waned, the Dragon Kings fell away from Empire and the Avowed Years ended. It was never the desire of the Aathuk to build worldly Kingdoms but rather to turn to heavens and conquer the will of the All Father. To do so they flew ever higher until their adventures ran afoul of the Wall of Worlds and many were lost, confounded in the infinite clouds. Some few broke free, to serve Corthain, or plunder the far reaches of the Great Empty none can say.

But some, as is told, came to the realm of the goblins.

~The Codex of Aihrde

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Raw text . . . .

Grulding Hohle fell too, cut off from all her people and allies. Those dwarves fought alone for many years, in the dark, underground. Their halls were pulled down upon them, their treasures despoiled, and many done to death. But the goblins left behind uncounted dead, littering the halls and corridors.

The Grulding dwarves found themselves cornered in the deeps with no help or promise. Lorhin King rallied the last of his folk, leading them to the surface in a wave of blood red gore. Before them all fell or fled, even to the conquered and ruined halls below. Thus Lorin King came to the gates in triumph and broke free into the valley before his realm with the remnants of his folk. And there the goblins army stood, serried ranks of cleavers, glaives, knives, axes and the like. The King took 40 of his guard and ranged them before the gates. He bid his people to climb the cliffs behind him and flee into the mountains while he held the armies at bay.

So the Clegerarch began, that battle that dwarves sing of in sorrow and triumph. The goblins hurled themselves upon the King and his 40, crashing agains the iron wall. In great slaughter the dwarves threw them back. All this while the folk began to climb the cliffs behind them, with ropes and spikes they pulled themselves up, making slings for the young and old. Women and men hauled and pulled. And when many were on the cliff the dragons came, with goblin riders, and washed the cliffs in acid and gas. Dwarves fell by the scores, plummeting to the earth below, screaming in pain and terror, washed in death. And the goblins attacked, and the 40 fought on and the climbers climbed and the dragons fell upon them. All day the battle raged until the rock in the earth could drink no more and the blood ran in currents.

As the moon rose Lorin fell, clove down by a might troll. The beast lifted his body and hurled it far afield into the goblin host and they fell upon it in a mad frenzy. Before the gate only 18 stood and the sight they could not bare. In mass they plunged into the thick. Enraged the dwarves clove through the goblins, singly and in pairs, some turned this way and that, lost in the press. Others cut their way through the wall of flesh. Here one fell, there another, lost to the blood rage of the goblins. But everywhere was death until in the end two brothers alone made it to Lorin's ruin and they stood upon him, holding all at bay.

The Clegerarch ended only after the moon stood high above. The goblins never ceased their attack, and at last rent and torn by many wounds the brothers died and their bodies consumed with the King upon goblin cook-fires.

Most who climbed onto the walls died, falling to the dragon's ire. Though tis said that some few escaped into the high cliffs, fleeing over the snow capped mountains over hidden trails that only the dwarves knew. Thus ended Grulding Hohle and her people destroyed, so that of the Grulding Dwarves, few speak for the sorrow is too great.

~The Codex of Airhrde

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Despite the whirlagig of noise around here I'm still hammering on the Codex of Aihrde. I have now begun the editing/rewrite of the Isles of Mark, those battles between the peoples of Ethrum and Aenoch that eventually lead to the Age of Heroes. This places me right at page 23 in the old Codex. Now it begins to ease up as the mythology is mostly lined out and its editing the rather detailed pages that follow. So far this section of the book has tripled in size form the Codex of Erde. The material is highly useful in game context, setting the stage for epic adventures, the return of creatures, things etc etc (all up to you at that point of course)

When I finish this section it will go to editing immediately. When it is finished (as I am working on the countries) it goes to layout. The first layout will be bare knuckles, book format, including this compete content. Everyone who has backed this project will receive a PDF/KINDLE/NOOK (your choice) version of this and it will be released for sale on the Kindle and Nook and maybe PDF. Meanwhile I'll be finishing the countries and terrain sections and prepping the actual Codex of Aihrde for release.

As for the writing from this point forward. Its largely an editing job, cleaning up text as it appears and adding bits and pieces from the mythology where necessary, so I anticipate (if nothing in the Troll Lord World explodes) rapid progress.

Here is some raw text from a battle between gods. Corthain has led a host to punish the Red God (Thorax) for his many crimes. With him comes the first born of dragons, Frafnog. This is epic duel as depicted on the cover of the Codex of Erde and will be on the Codex of Aihrde.

All about the portico the battle raged, upon the mountain's slopes and in the skies above. Dragon fire ripped the evening skies. The clouds opened up and rain fell, as lightning cut the skies, called by creatures great and small. Wicked blades of all shapes and sizes, spears and swords, all born into battle, wreaking havoc on flesh and bone. There was no order to the tumult, only madness and death.

And in the midst of it all stood Thorax, girded in armor of plate, fashioned of dragon bone, with the Sword of Embers in hand, wrapped in the Cloak of Red. Few could withstand his visage and all who tried failed, dying upon his hellish blade. He laughed as he slew them, in all his beauty, he laughed and the sound of it carried far over the noise of the battlefield.

Thus Frafnog found him. Landing upon the rocky ground before the porch, that dragon, first born, stood before Thorax like a mountain. Thorax laughed at the dragon and pulled head free of his helm and his hair fell, long and black upon slender shoulders. His eyes shone.

"At last beast. We meet. Too long have you lay hid and only rumor of you could I find."

The dragon rumbled deep in his chest and his eyes narrowed. In truth Frafnog had come into his prime, filled with the wisdom of age and the power of youth. He coiled around himself, his tail wrapping around a column and his long neck pulled back, much like an adder. "Aye." The dragon's voice was as a great slide of gravel over a rocky slope. "We meet at last. What measure must one take of the Red God to know his quality?"

"No measure made, dragon, charts the Red God.

But in him Frafnot could see strains of weakness, for Thorax had given much of himself in his minions, the Homeless House, diverting the Arc of Time and binding the Cloak of Red to him. As the dwarves were want to say, "nothing comes of nothing" and Thorax the Red God had given so very much to the worlds of his creation.

"I see a measure, and you are less than you were so long ago. The world is lost to you."

A shadow of doubt passed the Red God and he frowned, the furrows on his brow marring his forehead. "Let us dance dragon and I'll show you the ire of the All Father!"

He leapt high, riding the terror of the Cloak of Red and the dragon balked, snapping his head to the side so that the blade cut its throat. Deep and burning the open wound bled and the blood spilled out, but Thorax did not wait to see what damage he wrought but landing, turned and rent a gash in the dragon's leg and another in his chest. Agony shot through the mighty dragon, an agony of fire and hate, the loss of sorrow and the numbness of the Void; raising his fanged maw to the heavens his cry echoed the mountain slopes. Rocks slid down upon the portico and swept all that stood near into the doom of chaos below.

Thorax smote him again and the dragon reared upon his hing legs and came down on the earth with a mighty stomp. Such was his weight that the ground leapt, but as boulders flew high Frafnog pulled the column of the portico free and slammed his massive head and neck upon the roof of the All Father's house. All this threw the Red God high, he staggered back into the collapsing rubble, buried beneath the falling house. And Frafnog breathed upon the ruin. From it the stone melted, fusing Thorax into a prison no mortal could ever hope to escape.

But no mortal was Thorax. Breathing life into the stone, it rose an image of himself, tall and terrible in its beauty and reigned blows upon the dragon, driving him down and off the ledge. Frafnog rose swiftly on wings and coiling his tail about the golem hurled it to ruin in the rock below, smashing it to bits, so that pieces of the golem rolled and tumbled down into the lowlands, there harvested by sorcerers of later days. And Frafnog breathed again and Thorax threw up the Cloak of Red as a shield and the breath washed over it like the sea a rock.

Thus the battle raged for many hours and all that came near to aid one or the other, fell victim to the chaos of the struggle. But in the end the Red God's Cloak frayed, for it was never only his, but made of the blood of Mordius and he enslaved it to his purpose. Time and again the dragon's breath washed over the Red God and time and again he smote the beast. But ever more the Cloak began to fray, pieces of it blasted away, taken by the winds to lands far and away. As the Cloak broke so did the dragon bone armor and it melted, for no beast of his own kin could withstand the might of Frafnog.

Shorne of his armor and Cloak the Red God stood as naked before Frafnog and he knew fear. He saw the truth of his weakness, and the unspent might of his foes, and ever did he rue the day he gave of himself to the world and its peoples.

In terror Thorax fled from his foes, his laughter gone he left the dragon and battle behind behind. His host fell back as well. Everywhere terror reigned and they saw death or banishment in the eyes of Corthain and his people. They fled to the portal back to the Wretched Plains or into the world at large to hide themselves from the hunters that followed them.

And Corthain came down from the heavens, unsullied and fresh, for he had not wet his blade on the blood of his enemies, deeming that his time had not come, and the Gonfod was not arrived. He sought for Thorax but could not find him, though he plundered the dark places about the roots of the mountain. In the end de ordered the field and set stone upon the walls of the Portico, making the All Father's seat of old a dungeon, buried beneath rock and slag. When all was set to right he bid his host disperse and rose to the Fortress of Iul in the Void so far away.

~Codex of Aihrde

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Despite the whirlagig of noise around here I'm still hammering on the Codex of Aihrde. I have now begun the editing/rewrite of the Isles of Mark, those battles between the peoples of Ethrum and Aenoch that eventually lead to the Age of Heroes. This places me right at page 23 in the old Codex. Now it begins to ease up as the mythology is mostly lined out and its editing the rather detailed pages that follow. So far this section of the book has tripled in size form the Codex of Erde. The material is highly useful in game context, setting the stage for epic adventures, the return of creatures, things etc etc (all up to you at that point of course)

When I finish this section it will go to editing immediately. When it is finished (as I am working on the countries) it goes to layout. The first layout will be bare knuckles, book format, including this compete content. Everyone who has backed this project will receive a PDF/KINDLE/NOOK (your choice) version of this and it will be released for sale on the Kindle and Nook and maybe PDF. Meanwhile I'll be finishing the countries and terrain sections and prepping the actual Codex of Aihrde for release.

As for the writing from this point forward. Its largely an editing job, cleaning up text as it appears and adding bits and pieces from the mythology where necessary, so I anticipate (if nothing in the Troll Lord World explodes) rapid progress.

Here is some raw text from a battle between gods. Corthain has led a host to punish the Red God (Thorax) for his many crimes. With him comes the first born of dragons, Frafnog. This is epic duel as depicted on the cover of the Codex of Erde and will be on the Codex of Aihrde.

Upon the Portico
All about the portico the battle raged, upon the mountain's slopes and in the skies above. Dragon fire ripped the evening skies. The clouds opened up and rain fell, as lightning cut the skies, called by creatures great and small. Wicked blades of all shapes and sizes, spears and swords, all born into battle, wreaking havoc on flesh and bone. There was no order to the tumult, only madness and death.

And in the midst of it all stood Thorax, girded in armor of plate, fashioned of dragon bone, with the Sword of Embers in hand, wrapped in the Cloak of Red. Few could withstand his visage and all who tried failed, dying upon his hellish blade. He laughed as he slew them, in all his beauty, he laughed and the sound of it carried far over the noise of the battlefield.

Thus Frafnog found him. Landing upon the rocky ground before the porch, that dragon, first born, stood before Thorax like a mountain. Thorax laughed at the dragon and pulled head free of his helm and his hair fell, long and black upon slender shoulders. His eyes shone.

"At last beast. We meet. Too long have you lay hid and only rumor of you could I find."

The dragon rumbled deep in his chest and his eyes narrowed. In truth Frafnog had come into his prime, filled with the wisdom of age and the power of youth. He coiled around himself, his tail wrapping around a column and his long neck pulled back, much like an adder. "Aye." The dragon's voice was as a great slide of gravel over a rocky slope. "We meet at last. What measure must one take of the Red God to know his quality?"

"No measure made, dragon, charts the Red God.

But in him Frafnot could see strains of weakness, for Thorax had given much of himself in his minions, the Homeless House, diverting the Arc of Time and binding the Cloak of Red to him. As the dwarves were want to say, "nothing comes of nothing" and Thorax the Red God had given so very much to the worlds of his creation.

"I see a measure, and you are less than you were so long ago. The world is lost to you."

A shadow of doubt passed the Red God and he frowned, the furrows on his brow marring his forehead. "Let us dance dragon and I'll show you the ire of the All Father!"

He leapt high, riding the terror of the Cloak of Red and the dragon balked, snapping his head to the side so that the blade cut its throat. Deep and burning the open wound bled and the blood spilled out, but Thorax did not wait to see what damage he wrought but landing, turned and rent a gash in the dragon's leg and another in his chest. Agony shot through the mighty dragon, an agony of fire and hate, the loss of sorrow and the numbness of the Void; raising his fanged maw to the heavens his cry echoed the mountain slopes. Rocks slid down upon the portico and swept all that stood near into the doom of chaos below.

Thorax smote him again and the dragon reared upon his hing legs and came down on the earth with a mighty stomp. Such was his weight that the ground leapt, but as boulders flew high Frafnog pulled the column of the portico free and slammed his massive head and neck upon the roof of the All Father's house. All this threw the Red God high, he staggered back into the collapsing rubble, buried beneath the falling house. And Frafnog breathed upon the ruin. From it the stone melted, fusing Thorax into a prison no mortal could ever hope to escape.

But no mortal was Thorax. Breathing life into the stone, it rose an image of himself, tall and terrible in its beauty and reigned blows upon the dragon, driving him down and off the ledge. Frafnog rose swiftly on wings and coiling his tail about the golem hurled it to ruin in the rock below, smashing it to bits, so that pieces of the golem rolled and tumbled down into the lowlands, there harvested by sorcerers of later days. And Frafnog breathed again and Thorax threw up the Cloak of Red as a shield and the breath washed over it like the sea a rock.

Thus the battle raged for many hours and all that came near to aid one or the other, fell victim to the chaos of the struggle. But in the end the Red God's Cloak frayed, for it was never only his, but made of the blood of Mordius and he enslaved it to his purpose. Time and again the dragon's breath washed over the Red God and time and again he smote the beast. But ever more the Cloak began to fray, pieces of it blasted away, taken by the winds to lands far and away. As the Cloak broke so did the dragon bone armor and it melted, for no beast of his own kin could withstand the might of Frafnog.

Shorne of his armor and Cloak the Red God stood as naked before Frafnog and he knew fear. He saw the truth of his weakness, and the unspent might of his foes, and ever did he rue the day he gave of himself to the world and its peoples.

In terror Thorax fled from his foes, his laughter gone he left the dragon and battle behind behind. His host fell back as well. Everywhere terror reigned and they saw death or banishment in the eyes of Corthain and his people. They fled to the portal back to the Wretched Plains or into the world at large to hide themselves from the hunters that followed them.

And Corthain came down from the heavens, unsullied and fresh, for he had not wet his blade on the blood of his enemies, deeming that his time had not come, and the Gonfod was not arrived. He sought for Thorax but could not find him, though he plundered the dark places about the roots of the mountain. In the end de ordered the field and set stone upon the walls of the Portico, making the All Father's seat of old a dungeon, buried beneath rock and slag. When all was set to right he bid his host disperse and rose to the Fortress of Iul in the Void so far away.

~Codex of Aihrde

Post Script: Notice in this section are two adventures set for the enterprising CK. One can hunt the living remains of the golem created by the Red God and destroyed by the dragon, or one can attempt to find the dungeon of the buried portico. That is one of the things I am trying to do in this book is make it enjoyable to read (with the epic feel of these elder days) but also useful for the CK. We'll see how successful it turns out.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Alright.

Part 1 is complete. Today I have to catch my breath, but by tomorrow I'll be on to Part 2, the Cosmological Landscape. This will be much easier as most of it is complete and in the AWD. It only needs cleaned up and clarifies and combined with stuff from Codex.

When I'm done with Part 2 (friday with luck) I'm going to tackle the map. There are a few problems I've noticed that Peter needs to fix. This map will then go to press. It will come out as a full size poster map, or two of them.

Part 3 Deities (largely clean up, but with the addition of a more comprehensive list, that will be fully explored in Gods and Monsters of Aihrde due out in 2072))
Part 4 Peoples of Aihrde (this stuff is scattered all over the place and will take some rounding up, then clean up)
Part 5 Countries (Clean up)
Part 6 Terrain (Clean up, with some new ones added to this)

If I manage to keep the pace I'm going I expect to have the Codex of Aihrde complete by December 15. Then on to the Player Guide of Aihrde. Much of this is written but I have no idea what shape its in at this point.

Steve

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Troll Lord wrote: Part 3 Deities (largely clean up, but with the addition of a more comprehensive list, that will be fully explored in Gods and Monsters of Aihrde due out in 2072))
This sounds about right. ;)

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Omote wrote:
Troll Lord wrote: Part 3 Deities (largely clean up, but with the addition of a more comprehensive list, that will be fully explored in Gods and Monsters of Aihrde due out in 2072))
This sounds about right. ;)

~O

Indeed.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

But hey, if we get it out BEFORE 2072! I want to get recognition for it.

:geek:

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

The Cosmology is complete. It took a few more days than anticipated as I wanted to cover movement, encounters, and time & sustenance in each plane description so that we can all easily tell what happens in the Void, the Net of Ea-Raena, etc.

I've moved on to Part 3, Deities. I'm gathering all the material today and tomorrow from Codex of Aihrde, After Winter Dark, Gods & Monsters and my scattered notes and stories.

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

I've had to come up with a fourth classification of creatures in the world of Aihrde.

Dang it.

Steve

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Is this what happens when you get snowed in? I like it.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Wait you guys got snowed in? What happened two inches fell on the ground?

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Troll Lord wrote:When I'm done with Part 2 (friday with luck) I'm going to tackle the map. There are a few problems I've noticed that Peter needs to fix. This map will then go to press. It will come out as a full size poster map, or two of them.
I take it this is the same map that will be put on cardboard pieces for those who bought at that level of the Kickstarter? I hope so as the one real reason for me bumping up to that level was specifically for getting the maps in that form.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Dracyian wrote:Wait you guys got snowed in? What happened two inches fell on the ground?
LOLOL It was less than an inch. Froze the state solid and we hunkered down. Give me the 100+ humid hot, but this ice and cold. Not so much. ;)

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Troll Lord wrote:When I'm done with Part 2 (friday with luck) I'm going to tackle the map. There are a few problems I've noticed that Peter needs to fix. This map will then go to press. It will come out as a full size poster map, or two of them.
I take it this is the same map that will be put on cardboard pieces for those who bought at that level of the Kickstarter? I hope so as the one real reason for me bumping up to that level was specifically for getting the maps in that form.
Yes sir it is. I've just noticed odd things here and there. A river misnamed, peaks missing, just tiny things.

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

The Gods section too far longer than I thought it would, but its cleaned up and each entry greatly added to….that sentence is all backwards.

I included sacrifices and how the gods collects those offerings and the possibility (CK choice) of boons from the gods. Sacrifice a little hair and scalp to Imbrisius and perhaps she'll give you a +1 on your constitution (pain) check.

Onwards now, I've plunged into the People's of Aihrde today. This section is shorter and shouldn't take but a few days. I don't think I have to add anything to it.

This is Part 4 for those keeping track.

Thanks!
Steve

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I like what was done in "Of Gods and Monsters", just some of them were a little to powerful, but easily scaled back.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Treebore wrote:I like what was done in "Of Gods and Monsters", just some of them were a little to powerful, but easily scaled back.
Thanks! Jim actually did the avatars, but those in that book are the Greater gods of Aihrde, the Val Eahrakun. In the Codex they will have a different treatment, with the blocks on when and how to worship expanded.

Right now punching through the Peoples of Aihrde. Forgot that one section needed expanding, and that is the giants. They are part of the peoples of Aihrde so are getting special treatment.

here's a sample of the raw text:
Fire Giants: The fire giants were the first of the Faulerde, first made and first set aside. When the All Father first cast them from stone the spirit of fire remained with them so they took no shape, but burned and twisted in his hands as molten rock. He set them aside and thought no more of them. But when he breathed the breath of life and it fell upon them their fire cooled and they took his shape for themselves. But the fire never left them. But their flaws lay deeper than the fire for they were malicious and loved no things but burnt metal and black stone. They loved molten rock most of all and relished that it killed all it touched. But they possessed an understanding that others did not and they heard the speech of Burol as he thought the stone giants how to work stone. In after days they applied these skills to metal and became masters of iron.

In time the fire giants spread throughout the world, living in volcanoes or near to fire as they could. When the Horned God came to Aihrde they joined him, but not for love or servitude, for they have always held themselves to be the first and greatest of all teh Faulerde, but for want of power. So he granted them dominion of many realms. But the wars ruined that and their King, Nurrich, fell and many of their people beside. And now they are scattered far and wide.

The fire giants generally live in dungeons near the surface, for they love to raid, but always where the earth is cracked and the fire from beyond spills in. The greater giants can cross over into the Firmament into the elemental plane of fire and some even bring back creatures with them. They adorn themselves in heavy armor and prefer maces and cudgels to bladed weapons, but more than this, they prefer to pummel flesh with their fists, for they love the feel of it's destruction.

They worship no gods and serve only those who they feel might further their own ends.

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Section 04 was wrapped up late Wednesday!

I've already hard charged into section 05, Lands of Aihrde, having wrapped up Aachen and Anglamay.

Trollzah!

Steve

trashheap
Ungern

Post by trashheap »

Troll Lord wrote: I've split this sucker into two books. You can see them here on the ANVIL.
Something ive been a little confused on. Are folks who pre-ordered before the split getting both books? and if not are pre-orders going to open back up at some point so I can pre-order the Players Guide to Aihrde?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Steve, I can't remember if I pre-ordered or not. Is there any way you can check that for me?

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

I am really looking forward to this release!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Steve, this idea popped into my head on the drive home today, if you are going to have multiple books, why not go with a good old boxed set?

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Rigon wrote:Steve, this idea popped into my head on the drive home today, if you are going to have multiple books, why not go with a good old boxed set?

R-

No thanks. Give my the hardback books! I may be the odd one out on these forum, but I do not like boxed sets! Books are just way more convenient and longer lasting then boxed sets.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

dachda wrote:
Rigon wrote:Steve, this idea popped into my head on the drive home today, if you are going to have multiple books, why not go with a good old boxed set?

R-

No thanks. Give my the hardback books! I may be the odd one out on these forum, but I do not like boxed sets! Books are just way more convenient and longer lasting then boxed sets.
+1
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson