View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
TLG 8126 Codex of Aihrde (Preorder) 
Greater Lore Drake

Post Re: TLG 8126 Codex of Aihrde (Preorder)
Not much to impart on the Codex. Work is moving at a rapid pace. I work on A12 in the morning and then on Codex for the remainder of the day. The hardest part is garthering all the bits and pieces from various places and inserting them into the Codex timeline.

I've also been talking to artists trying to get Peter some relief from the mounds of art he has on his desk.

Steve

Steve Chenault, President & CEO of Chenault & Gray Publishing, Troll Lord Games

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:04 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Update on the Codex.

We are splitting this monster into two books, The CK's Guide to Aihrde and the Players Handbook of Aihrde. There's a lot of players content and alot of CK content. Right now I'm pulling material for both books and also for Gods and Monsters of Aihrde.

This will in no way affect preorders in, so if you have backed it, you'll get both books.

Thanks!
Steve

Fri May 03, 2013 9:55 pm
Lore Drake

I missed in getting the Rune Lore (Really wanted those runes), but I am glad that I kickstarted this baby. Splitting it into two sounds like a very good idea.

Sat May 04, 2013 6:55 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Two books and Gods and Monsters? Awesome. Can't wait to see the release of all three.

Sat May 04, 2013 8:53 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Personally, I'd rather see just one book. I can't imagine my players wanting to read a setting book, but maybe it'll be great. I'm buyign whatever comes out regardless.

Sun May 05, 2013 4:15 pm
Lore Drake

Buttmonkey wrote:
Personally, I'd rather see just one book. I can't imagine my players wanting to read a setting book, but maybe it'll be great. I'm buyign whatever comes out regardless.

It worked out well for; The Dresden Files from Cubicle 7.

Plus, doing it this way there could be better sales for the setting book.

It also helps less, probable(?), confusion having the rules and setting separate. I think it is a good idea.

Sun May 05, 2013 5:44 pm
Mogrl

Yeah, I can think of many RPG books I was glad were divided into a GM and a player book, as well as many where I was not happy it was all in one book. Especially since I backed this and have already paid.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Sun May 05, 2013 7:46 pm
Greater Lore Drake

I know the PH of Aihrde will have the following racial classes in it:

Dwarf
Elf
Halfling
Gnome
Half-Elf
Half-orc

as well as new spells, more info on guilds and orders, deity info.

This book will have the history of the world as the dwarves see it, the elves see it and the others.

For backers I will release these books in pieces. So you have it in hand before the print versions come out.

Tomorrow (the 8th) i'm back on this project now that Free RPG Day is out of the way.

Steve

Tue May 07, 2013 10:49 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Free RPG Day? Almost forgot about it, like I did last year. :-( I missed out on Kim's In Search of Adventure. What's cooking for this year?

Wed May 08, 2013 2:12 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Back on to this project at last!

Steve

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:52 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Trying hard to have something presentable by Gencon. Not sure its going to happen. But now that Rune Lore is finished and gone (for the 11th time) and A12 and Giant's Rapture written, I should have no distractions.

Thanks for the continued patience. And we will make it worth your while!

Steve

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:58 pm
Lore Drake

When do we send our people, place or thing that will be added into the book for those backers that pledged at that level.

Where do we send it?

Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:38 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Re-emersing myself in the mythology of Aihrde.

Ahhh, home again.

Steve

Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:54 pm
Greater Lore Drake

But of them all, the first to hatch was more striking than all the others and in the breath of Erde's song he alone learned the Language of Creation in all its manifold parts. A golden red, with long, narrow body and wings of fire the dragon lay in the nest of his mother's making long after all the others fled to where ever they would. He devoured the shells of the eggs about him and came to know all the dragons and the secrets of their yoke. Erde watched the dragon for a long age but the dragon never moved, casting back Erde's vision with unblinking eyes. In time Erde left the nest and Frafnog held himself victorious over him and few could ever make such a claim and he took his name then, Frafnog, which is the "unblinking." He took others besides, known only to him and no other. Not even Erde could see into his mind for it was the will of Inzaa that some things were denied his wisdom.

~ The Codex of Aihrde

Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:59 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Raw text from the Codex . . .

Five years his journey carried he and his crew across the wide world and when they returned Anderoth was heralded a wondrous hero. Many followed in his wake and ships set off from time to time, exploring all the worlds hidden places.

These journeys brought the attention of Ealor, Lord of the Deep and he watched wit amusement as the tiny crafts scuttled to and fro across his wide realm. Many foundered and drowned upon the shores, others were taken by storms and their ships sent to the Deep Quiet. All this Ealor watched. But Anderoth the first of his kind drew Ealor's attention the most and he marveled at the determination and strength of that sailor, so that he challenged him with ever greater storms and ever more powerful beasts.

Anderoth took all this in stride and learned in time from where many of his travails originated, so that he took up the challenge and the two contested the waters. But never did Ealor unleash his full strength for such Anderoth could not match and it would mean his doom. But he grew ever skillful and he learned the moods of Ealor and these are the moods of the seas. His mastery pitted him against the greatest storms, and deepest waves and he plied the deeps for many years.

But at last age overtook Anderoth and his body could not withstand Ealor's challenges. But Ealor, being of the higher order of the Val-Eahrukun was deathless and being separated from all of his own kin did not see nor fully understand the mortality of the dwarves. There came a time where Ealor spied Anderoth aboard his ship and the joy of his mirth tore the sea asunder and sent huge waves upon his ship. The Dwarf Lord's ship rolled to the side and he gripped the wheel but his arms grew weary before ever Ealor realized it and the dwarf was thrown into the mast and lost sight of the world. He slid over the side, falling into the water's madness to vanish into the Deep Quiet.

His helm and axe sank first and struck the ocean floor near to where Ealor stood and the god looked up to see his friend sinking to depths no creature could go. He saw then that his friend was dead and had left the world of Aihrde. He marveled at death and wondered what it meant.

As Ealor pondered this his brother Naarheit came to him seeking aid in some wild endeavor of his and Ealor questioned him about death and what it meant. And Naarheit told him of it, but he twisted the words and spoke only of Thorax and the Wretched Plains for he loved to jest with Ealor for that god always laughed. But he spoke of the listless dead and how they traveled the Arc of Time and came to the Gegelmesh and there suffered the nightmare of eternity as a slave to Thorax.

For his part Ealor bore no ill will toward Thorax, nor had the two ever quarreled, but he knew that Thorax loved the dark and it grieved him to think that Anderoth and all the sailers of the world should suffer from his rule. The more he thought upon it the more it grieved him. Turning to Naarheit he sought his council and Naarheit saw an opportunity to bedevil Thorax and Toth, to plague the Arc of Time and hinder the workings of Corthain and the All Father all at once. He told his brother of the Arc of Time and bid him rip the world asunder and pull the Arc into the deep oceans, there to govern who must pass to the lands of the dead.

Ealor laughd for this struck him as a good idea and fashioned a great three pointed spear and thrust it into the belly of the world and speared the Arc of Time. He pulled upon it though it would not budge. He laughed all the more and pulled ever harder and Naarhiet laughed as well and bidding his brother to hold the Arc he swam into the deep places of the world to hinder many of the creatures of Ealor's manufacture. He warred upon the mermen, corrupting many into foul fish-like men, the saughgan and many others besides.

But Ealor for his part struggled with the Arc of Time until at last he realized that it was the River of the All Father's thought and he could not move it. But he could see it and govern its passage for he had torn the world asunder at the bottom of the ocean.

Before long Ealor spied the flame of Anderoth passing down the Arc of Time to the Pools of Eternity there to be judged worthy or unworthy of the Stone Fields. And Ealor caught him up as a fish in a net and took the flame of him to the Green Halls. And Anderoth knew the Lord of the Seas and joined him in death. But Anderoth begged Ealor to look for his fellow sailors so that they too could join him in the Green Halls. And Ealor took pity on the Captain and his kind and he saw all the lost sailors who had passed into the Eternal Pools or beyond and he could not bare it.

Ealor gave Anderoth a ship to command, but this ship, unlike any he had sailed in life, plied the Ocean's depths. And Ealor set it the task to gather the fallen sailors even before they gathered upon the Arc of Time and bring them to the Green Halls to join the dead beneath the sea, and thus Anderoth became a Captain in Death and the Admiral of Ealor's fleet.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:09 pm
Ulthal

I'm glad to see that progress is being made, but...

What is the anticipated release date? I pre-ordered bundle 3 in May of 2012, 16 months ago and I'm beginning to worry that this will book will ever see time at my table...

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

Redwulf,

This book is my only focus now. Its moving very quickly as much of it is bringing together mountains of notes. I don't want to give a time but I fully intend to have this done and out before the end of the year.

The problem with all things that I have to write, even the smallest hicups in the day to day running of affairs around here can cause delays. That said, Tim and Todd are working insanely hard to to keep that from happening.

Right now i'm putting the history together. Today (the 17) I am working on the Furthnopt and the continuing struggle between teh Red God (Thorax) and Corthain. I finished the tale of the Great Tree this morning. This is the hardest part of the first book, once I'm done with that then its just cleaning editing the country and terrain issues. There will be some raw text writing on terrain as Peter and I have added so much to the maps, but nothing that is not easy and fun to write.

Peter has all but finished fleshing the climate areas in the world map which I hope to post this week. Then he'll be on to the Lands of Ursal.

When the Codex of Aihrde is complete we are rolling it out and I'll begin working on the Players Guide to Aihrde. If you've pre-ordered you've already ordered both of these books. This week, we'll divide it into two different products, officially (but your prodder will still be safe).

What all this means is massive more content for Aihrde. So far the first 4 pages of the printed Codex (d20 version) have expanded to about 16 pages. Lots more cow bell in it.

Any comments or questions you have about the world, things that need clarifying, about the world or ordering process, post here. I'm attempting to stay on top of it.

Trollzah!

Steve

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:30 pm
Greater Lore Drake

I have added and have now begun to people the glossary.

Steve

Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:16 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Doing a quick count, the original Codex of Erde, up to the Goblin Dwarf Wars had 6400 words in. The new Codex of AIhrde has, up to that point, 30,000 words in it.

Chris Harris has been editing behind me. This is content editing right now, to make sure this makes sense, and i don't leave any hanging threads etc etc.

Peter has put my 914th change to the world map, there are a few more areas he needs to spruce up, but here it is.

Thanks,
Steve

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:27 pm
Mogrl

I am unable to enlarge it, so can't really see anything, other than the over all look appears to have changed.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:23 pm
Battle Stag

The ice-covered continents are like ghosts of the old lands.

~O

Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:03 am
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

Treebore wrote:
I am unable to enlarge it, so can't really see anything, other than the over all look appears to have changed.

This is the colored map. The ones we have published previously were only brown and sandy tan or some such.

Peter has to change some of the terrain in the Lands of Ursal (cradle of the world) so that it better matches the area maps.

After this we start in on the other maps. Though these are largely done from the map pack, there are some subtle changes i want made that were lost previously.

Steve

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:33 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Omote wrote:

~O

I'm going to have him do a version of the world as it was under the Winter Dark as well. When most of the lands were covered in snow and ice.

Steve

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:35 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Here is the raw text from the Kinship Disputes, also known as the Kinship Wars. This is an excerpt from what will be in Codex of Aihrde and an expansion of the material found in the Codex of Erde, page 16, column one, fourth paragraph.

So the wars waged for years. From the Arnhul Mountains in the east to the Thurmberg in the far west. Through the shadows of the Northern Forest, in the deserts of the Dulset and the shores of the Sea of Erun. None were spared, woman or child, dwarf or man. And the long roads became wild places for none patrolled them and the giants came out of their lairs and hunted any and all. Other monsters crawled for beside; foul creatures from pits or caves roamed the open country hunting the slow or weak. The roads to the Endless Pools were crowded with the broken forms of souls destined for eternity or the Stone Fields with Heth guiding them on their way.

After many long years Isenharg grew impatient. He gathered the greater part of his arms and set off for the north. To the pounding of many thousands of drums he shouted "To doom we march! To doom! To doom we march! To doom!" And the drums and horns filled all the valleys, echoing his call.

In Grausumhart the dwarves answered the call. Old King Uthkin had died many years previously, and his great grandson, Austcun I, stood the throne. He marshaled the armies of his realm and all those colonies as well and set off south along the high roads of the Crusp Mountains.

Upon the high mountain meadows of Jardale the armies met. Along the slopes and ridges of the north the dwarves carried the totems of Grausumhart upon staves of deepest blue. The hunting owl rode upon shields and breast plates, axe heads carved like wings, the beaks and heads topping helms. All through the host the symbols of the King stood forth. South, in the green grasses of the meadows and in broken country that tumbled away to ruin below ranged the armies of Gorthurag; theirs bore the hammer above an anvil and for their home was the Forge of the All Father. Behind them marched a great host of men with the many symbols of their houses. Long spears and swords, oval shields and horned helms marked the Engale allies.

For many hours the hosts watched each other. The skalds walked amongst them chanting dirges of terror of the roads and the slaughter of the innocents, of all the loss, the suffering, and death. They conjured images of every foul crime and deed that their foes inflicted upon them, they reminded them of why they were here. They spoke of the Kings that should be and could not be and they charged them all with doom.

As the sun peaked in the pale blue sky a deep intonation rose from the hosts of Gorthurag. "Doom," it said. "Doom." Again, "doom." And the sound of it lingered upon the mountain air. "Doom." Again and again the voices took up the word until all the host chanted the battle cry and the mountains shook and the meadows lay low for the sound of it.

As suddenly as it started it ended and one broke ranks from the host of Gorthurag. His comrades called him Erik Broodstone for he buried his family years ago beneath one large stone. And Erik shouted his madness with mace and hammer he fell into the ranks of Gorthurag, grinding iron to iron and bone to gristle. As Erik vanished into the host the whole of Gorthurag charged, their iron boots, it is said, rousing even Corthain in the Wall of Worlds. And Grausumhart unleashed their own armored legions and the battle exploded across the mountain tops.

Here their arms contested for mastery for 4 days and nights. Iron legions marched across untamed meadows and clashed with such force and violence that the snow tumbled from the mountains around. With axes, hammers, iron clubs, maces and flails they lay into each other. Armor and shield echoed the pounding wrath of the dwarven hosts, now grown bitter and filled with hate. Time and again the hosts charged, battering into one the other, then retreating to regroup, treat their wounded and ready to attack again. Hour by hour the fields gathered their grim harvest as dwarves fell to dwarves. Soon the dead lay in heaps upon the meadows, the tracks around them, the peaks, slopes and ridges of the whole plateau and wherever there was dirt, it turned to mud so great the loss of life upon the blood soaked ground.

On the fifth day the two kings at last met upon the field. They contested arms, as their body guards fought all around them. In those days Isenharg was unmatched upon the field. His great helm bore no mark or design, but was faceless and few could look upon it without fear. His shield bore the hammer and anvil of the All Father and his armor fashioned with such skill that he moved without restriction. And with him he carried the Axe of the All Father. The two Kings fought a long, hard battle and both suffered grievous wounds but in the end Isenharg smote Austcun such a blow that that dwarf was cut asunder and died. His death threw his armies into dismay and they fell back upon the peaks and slopes and Isenharg called a halt to his own armies.

Of all the host of Grausumhart, Austcun's son by the same name, stood the field alone. Setting his shield aside, he pulled his helm off, and let his hair fall free and beard open to the wind. Blood soaked axe in hand he stood thus for a long while. At last he walked forward to his father's stricken form and looked down upon the wreck and ruin. His rage was terrible. The earth bent beneath him and the air turned to flame. All fell back from him for they feared the wrath of the All Father in him. Isenharg alone stood, bleeding though he was from many wounds.

Austcun bent and lifted the crown from his father's body. He held it in his iron glove until the blood dried upon the gold and only then did he turn to his cousin. "If you will not yield to our heritage Lord of Gorthurag, nor will we contest yours. But know from this day forth that our kindred are sundered and you and all yours set adrift on a sea of your own greed."

And Isenharg replied, "We plot no such course on any sea, but hold what is rightfully ours as given by the All Father of our realm and the All Father of us all. Go your way and be done with you, it is best we walk alone, or so I council."

So the the Kinship Disputes came to an end and from their beginning in 5207 they lasted 250 years, ending in 5457df with the sundering of the realms. Isenharg I, cousin to Argrind IX, ruled as King in Gorthurag while the Ithkin Kings, led now by Austcun II, remained in Grausumhart.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:41 pm
Battle Stag

Troll Lord wrote:
Omote wrote:

~O

I'm going to have him do a version of the world as it was under the Winter Dark as well. When most of the lands were covered in snow and ice.

Steve

That is really cool. It would be nice to see places (ruins, cities, other locations) that once existed during the Winter Dark that are not on the current map. Or, seeing places denoted as ruins on the current map are real and vibrant places in the Winter Dark map. For map-o-philes such as myself, it would be awesome to look at the differences between two and wonder what mysteries causes the differences between the two eras... that is if you are planning to go into that kind of depth for the setting. ;)

~O

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

Omote wrote:
Troll Lord wrote:
Omote wrote:

~O

Steve

That is really cool. It would be nice to see places (ruins, cities, other locations) that once existed during the Winter Dark that are not on the current map. Or, seeing places denoted as ruins on the current map are real and vibrant places in the Winter Dark map. For map-o-philes such as myself, it would be awesome to look at the differences between two and wonder what mysteries causes the differences between the two eras... that is if you are planning to go into that kind of depth for the setting. ;)

~O

I ran a series of adventures in the Winter Dark a few years back. They were alot of fun and has always left me wanting to do an expansion of the era. The new Codex will have much more than the old, but never enough for me. ;)

Steve

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:35 pm
Greater Lore Drake

From the second Goblin Dwarf War. Again, raw text.

As the war raged on a host of goblins, led now by demons of the Red God, came to the gates of Magdul-Hohle in the Rhodope Mountains and called for the King to come forth.

He did. Gurden King, One Hand, was the first of his line by that name and had ruled in Magdul-Hohle for more than a century. He bore a double-headed hammer, the symbol of his house, laced with runes of power. He wore a small, heavy, iron helm, but carried no shield for he had lost his hand in the Kinship Disputes. A bronze plate, greaves for the arms and legs, and a skirt of chain served him for armor. He looked over the horde as they chittered and howled. When he spoke his voice carried the weight of stone and promise of death. "I am Gurden King." His words silenced the host. "Be off my doorstep, or suffer for it."

A foul looking demon, twisted coils of gray and fang, crept forward on many legs. "And what sufferance can you give oh Gurden One-Hand? Leave off my doorstep and begone from my halls lest you suffer for it."

Gurden unstrapped his hammer and dropped it to the ground between them, the fall of it shook the earth, and tis the said the echo carried even to the world within the world and made the dragon Inzae turn in her slumber. "Come closer foul one. I did not hear you clearly."

Fear took the creature and it coiled in upon itself, hissing softly, so that only these words were heard, "Not yours to command, One-Hand."

"Speak clearly foul one."

The demon leapt high, screeching madness and fear. Its voice echoed the deep torment of the Wretched Plains and the wild rage of the Red God. All lesser men quailed at the sound of it, goblins and dwarves and demons alike. But Gurden One-Hand did not flinch, nor did he move. Not until the demon closed upon him, did he move. Tearing his helm from his head he smote the demon such a blow with it, that the creature's head exploded in a curtain of misty gore and shattered bone and there it died.

Howling their rage, more demons rushed the King and he smote a second and third with his helm, crushing them to ruin. But even so, they threatened to overwhelm him and throwing the helm aside he took up his hammer. This he swung wild above him, and all about him were lifted into the air and hurled into the rock and walls and ground to dust, for the rune-bound hammer unleashed a wave of elemental creatures and they howled in the glee of destruction.

Cleared of foes Gurden One-Hand placed the hlem back upon his head and sounded his armies to attack and all along the road, doors were flung wide and tunnels opened and the dwarven host came forth, falling upon the goblins on all sides. At first the dwarves had them, clearing the road to the gates, but more came over the high walls of the ridge lines and attacked them from above. More came up the road and pressed them hard and they climbed up the steep cliffs and onto the road from that direction as well. For two days and nights they fought upon the road and the dwarves were wasted in the end, their numbers depleted.

Gurdon One-Hand called his people into the halls, but too late for the gates were forced and the goblins inside. All the upper halls were ravaged and many put to cruel deaths before the King and his soldiery dislodged them and shut the gates agains them.

So the goblins had the victory though they did not take the Kingdom. And such was the destruction that Gurdon One-Hand wrought upon his foes that from that day to this, the goblins fear the thought of him and the hammer and helm he bore in battle.

~The Codex of Aihrde

Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:08 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Lots of ad copy to day and website maintenance. But back to Aihrde now and the 3rd Goblin Dwarf War.

Raw text from the Rings of Brass.

In these days the greatest of the dwarven rune-smiths resided in Norgorad-Kam and they worked the brass sheets as no other. They carved runes of tremendous power, whose longevity far outlasted all else. They explored the language in all its subtleties, unearthing hidden meanings and a deeper wisdom. They learned to unfold the words and in this way they discovered the Void beyond. Rumors of the planes of creation had always circulated amongst the knowledgeable, but few understood them, and none had ever seen them. But the smiths in the Brass Halls saw now into the Void, into the Maelstroms and beyond. They saw the world unfold in all its history, seeing time as it had been and understanding how it would be. They learned of the Gonfod and the Wall of Worlds, of Inzaa and the dragon god beyond. Laced through all these visions were tunnels carved into the firmament, built and constructed like passages through a mountain. The rune smiths marveled at them and sought ever more knowledge and the unfolding of more words.

~The Codex of Aihrde

Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:56 pm
Greater Lore Drake

I'm a little confused about what the Codex is supposed to be. Is it a gazetteer for use in running a campaign in Aihrde? Is it fantasy fiction about a campaign world's history a la The Silmarillion? Is it something else?

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:28 pm
Mogrl

Buttmonkey wrote:
I'm a little confused about what the Codex is supposed to be. Is it a gazetteer for use in running a campaign in Aihrde? Is it fantasy fiction about a campaign world's history a la The Silmarillion? Is it something else?

Looks like its going to be what its been since the D20 book, lots of world history, with history on notable figures, etc... general descriptions of the lands with some details about notable locations, with most of the maps left blank for us to add whatever we want to add, etc... I just hope Steve avoids repeating himself in different places like he did a few times in the new Runelord book.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next