C&C Players Handbook, 5th Printing (Available)

This forum is to discuss TLGs crowdfunding projects.
(NOTE: Until sorted, it will have legacy, non-crowdfunding threads in)
Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Re: C&C Players Handbook, 5th Printing

Post by Sir Ironside »

tylermo wrote:I wondered what the retail price "might" be if the book was color all throughout. I hadn't asked Stephen about that yet. I seemed to remember they wrestled with the decision to raise the phb from 20.00 to 25.00 before 4th printing came out. With a possible increase to 30.00 as you say, will enough of the longtime players buy it? Some will for the color to be sure. That said, many players like the uniform look of their core, and secondary books. I assume the look of M&T and CKG would probably change a bit, thus falling in line with the full color art and new cover of the 5th phb. As for black and white art vs. color, it's hard to say. The color plates idea isn't too bad. Then again, the colored sketches previewed so far look pretty cool. I think it's great that the Trolls aren't making any significant changes. If they changed numerous things, including the siege engine, there'd be a fit. If they don't, some will say they're happy with their current printing. Whatever they do, affordable pricing and good presentation is key. Getting new players into the fold is vital, as well.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

tylermo wrote:With a possible increase to 30.00 as you say, will enough of the longtime players buy it?
I don't think this is geared to existing customers. Steve made it very clear that there are going to be very minor changes in the 5th printing and doesn't make the 4th "unusable". So, longtime customers have a choice.
tylermo wrote:That said, many players like the uniform look of their core, and secondary books. I assume the look of M&T and CKG would probably change a bit, thus falling in line with the full color art and new cover of the 5th phb.
I'd go further and say that every future project will sport the new look after the phb is on the market and even before (As in the recent module that is already sporting the new look.) Sweeping changes are afoot IMO with the new logo and cover design, it makes no sense to continue offering the old look in future TLG products.

In the past it used to bother me when my books did not have a uniform book. Now a day's not so much. I do have the advantage of acquiring the books with the newest of the printings that give it a uniformed look. I'm in no rush to run out and buy any of the new printings. Like I said on another thread, I'm more interested in each printing fixing more errata than what it actually looks like. It appears that there will be only minor errata and clarification of existing rules. I might just look forward to a 6th printing rather than buy the 5th. Ditto for all the other books, even if they fix much of the errata in the recent printings, I'm more than happy to wait until the next printing where I'll assume even more errata will be fixed. These new printings are not geared towards me as an existing customer.
tylermo wrote:Getting new players into the fold is vital, as well.
I think this is probably near the top of the reasons for going full colour. TLG already has an established base that, in all honesty, they already have as fans and, TLG not changing anything dramatically, kind of caters to existing customers. There is no significant need to try and appeal to the faithful fan base. All the significant changes happened between 3rd and 4th printings and I don't think that TLG expects to have to rely on their dedicated base to sell more phb or future offerings. IMO it appears that the new look is to help get more shelf space to compete with the big two.

Everything above is IMO of course.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

You're right about the minor changes, fixes, and clarifications. Barring any major overhaul of EV, of course. As for color interiors drawing in new players, we'll see. The sure-fire method of converting and recruiting new players...demos, demos, demos. From local game stores to cons, or sessions with friends, that's where you have a real chance of converting folks. The color interiors and production values won't hurt either, admittedly.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

tylermo wrote:The sure-fire method of converting and recruiting new players...demos, demos, demos. From local game stores to cons, or sessions with friends, that's where you have a real chance of converting folks.
Problem with that is there is a assumption that there will be a C&C fan at the majority of those places. I'd gather there is not and I've read enough threads of people trying to get other people to try C&C without much success.

I was part of the MIB program with SJG, and even though SJG provided you with a lot of swag to be one, the roster was far less than one would expect. If SJG program isn't as big as they'd like it to be, you'd depending on someone with the passion for C&C and the attitude, time and commitment to make a successful go at it on their own time.

Believe me, I'd like to see C&C get into more rpg groups, but I think that changing the format to compete for shelf space will be much more successful than hoping someone (fan) will pick up the torch and promote C&C.

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

It's interesting thinking about ways to try cutting into the other guys' pools as far as attracting players/fans of the big two over to C&C. The color panels in the books are certainly one way of effecting that, but without some kind of big event/tournament that manages to grab some huge attention at GenCon, I don't know how much impact color pictures in the books would have. Everything I've seen (and I'll admit that this hasn't been as much as most around here) suggests to me that people went whichever way they wanted to when 4e came out. How do you make rules light appeal to those who want crunch?

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

There's no doubt it's tough sometimes. Seems like most of my con games near St. Louis get 3-6 players. I've been lucky on the local front since late Sept. of last year. Over the months, I've ended up with three players 18 or 19 years of age, three early 20-somethings, a late 20, and a 34 year old. Some of the younger ones also play pathfinder, and they still come back weekly. Admittedly, my good fortune probably isn't the norm.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Sir Osis of Liver wrote:It's interesting thinking about ways to try cutting into the other guys' pools as far as attracting players/fans of the big two over to C&C.
Probably just bad wording on my part. All rpg companies are competing for the same dollars in a small market. D&D, Pathfinder, T&T, retro clones and all the other fantasy genre books maybe more direct as a competitors but you can't ignore other companies that have generic rules like SJG, Mongoose, Pinnacle etc. and even companies that produce games that are not fantasy.
Sir Osis of Liver wrote:I don't know how much impact color pictures in the books would have.
I've mentioned that gamers today are a spoiled bunch. There are expectations these days, that you or I may not share. A full colour book is one of them. Being at the big purple machine for many years there was a clear line drawn in the sand. Colour books where from bigger companies, black and white were for indies. (I guess retro-clones now as when I was there, there wasn't this renaissance of old school gaming.) This is by no means an exhaustive research on the rpger buying habits, but when you hear it over and over at a forum that has thousands of members it does give you pause.
Sir Osis of Liver wrote:Everything I've seen (and I'll admit that this hasn't been as much as most around here) suggests to me that people went whichever way they wanted to when 4e came out.
With the resounding choice being; Pathfinder, that says something in the marketplace.
Sir Osis of Liver wrote:How do you make rules light appeal to those who want crunch?
You can't make someone choose to play a style that they might not prefer. But, you do need them to at least pick-up your book and give it a quick read through.

With present and up-coming products that are using the Seige Engine as the base of their game, that are not fantasy themed, I'd guess that TLG is not only promoting an alternative fantasy game but is also showcasing the Seige Engine system.

All the above is IMO of course. I'm not in the industry, nor do I know what is in the hearts and minds of the TLG staff. I can only give an opinion from the outside looking in.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I don't want to speak for him, but Stephen C. once likened the RPG industry to the battlefields of WW I. Everybody is down in the trenches, holding on to their little scrap of land. I'm sure I'm paraphrasing greatly, and maybe he'll weigh in with the exact comment. That was two years ago when I was helping him at a con. Lol

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

tylermo wrote:I don't want to speak for him, but Stephen C. once likened the RPG industry to the battlefields of WW I. Everybody is down in the trenches, holding on to their little scrap of land. I'm sure I'm paraphrasing greatly, and maybe he'll weigh in with the exact comment. That was two years ago when I was helping him at a con. Lol
Well lets hope he attaches himself to the 1st Canadian corp with their much feared *"Shock Troops". ;)

*See Battle of the Somme and Second Battle of Passchendaele.
British Prime Minister Lloyd George wrote:"The Canadians played a part of such distinction that thenceforward they were marked out as shock troops; for the remainder of the war they were brought along to head the assault in one great battle after another. Whenever the Germans found the Canadian Corps coming into the line they prepared for the worst."

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

redwullf wrote:
MormonYoYoMan wrote:Like there's a chance we won't meet the goals... :lol:
A week in and only slightly over 1/2 way there. I backed at the $40 level, but it occurs to me that people who just want to back (and receive) the book without the other goodies might want to see an "in between" option - something between $15 and $40, especial if they're backing a $25 book. A $25 or $30 option, say.
Redwulf,

Do take note that if you buy through kickstarter you can get two books at the 40.00 level, one signed and one unsigned. Its going to be the best deal out there. We'll continue to add bonus rounds to the kickstarter.

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

CKDad wrote:I think one problem is that there very "Not much new" factor is causing a lot of people to look at their 4th (and 3rd) printing PHBs and then decide to pass. The color will be cool, and I'm sure the book will look amazing, but the fact that the content will be essentially the same is likely working against it on Kickstarter.
The kickstarter is moving at the very same trajectory as the Classic Monsters interestingly enough. I'm curious how this one will turn out in the end. But you are right, at the end of the day its just the Players Handbook, with over 10,000 sold and no need to replace your copy (Mark still uses his 1st printing at my table) its a stretch.

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

moriarty777 wrote:
CKDad wrote:I think one problem is that there very "Not much new" factor is causing a lot of people to look at their 4th (and 3rd) printing PHBs and then decide to pass. The color will be cool, and I'm sure the book will look amazing, but the fact that the content will be essentially the same is likely working against it on Kickstarter.
Very good point. The only reason some people may grab these is to get it in color.

Actually, I'm not sure if I even like like the idea of this in color and wonder how this will affect the further print runs of the M&T and CKG. Now that one is coming out in color, there is also the others to contend with. With the Classic Monsters book just out, there is also no color in the book with the exception of the color plates. Frankly, I think this is the best option. Keep the book's art without color (at least for the most part), but maybe consider color plates like the CM book does as did the limited convention softcover printings of the M&T and PHB.

M
Castles & Crusades was one of the first very successful RPGs to use the OGL. We've put 10,000 until out there and more coming. That is good news. But the reality we are up against is a market place that is becoming crowded with RPGs. Kickstarter is playing no small part in this. We are at the forefront of another glut similar to the d20 glut. Everyone now can have a good go at some promo material and get 5-10k out of kickstarter, which is more than enough to get an RPG out. We've been watching this unfold.

With all these new RPGs out there C&C has to fight even harder for notice. Its long stance in the community has done it well, but if the clamor becomes too great we can easily be drowned out. So for C&C to continue to grow it has to become more competitive in the market place. C&C has to move forward.

But more than that I want it to move forward. I want to see Peter's art in full color. I want to open that Players Handbook and see that color on the Paladin's shield, the glint of steel on the druid's scythe. Peter does an amazing job with shadow too; I want it all in vibrant, eye bending color for all to see. Peter's color is the carbon that moves Crusade from its iron age to the age of Steel! (ha that sounded pretty cool...too much of THIS video this morning.)

Anyway, color is the next obvious step. It puts us on par with Dungeons and Dragons and Pathfinder. Peter's realistic art will set us apart from the others, breaking the mold of the anime style art and ground us where we belong in the only easy to learn, fully backed, affordable, RPG in full color (well except Savage Worlds I think).

You all know how reluctant I am to raise the price, but this will necessitate a rise in the price to $29.99. Still very competitive in today's melee.

Steve

Post Script: Plus we have to prepare for this:

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Having read Tylermo's and Ironsides responses above, here are a few quick notes.

Promoting these games is challenging. To pick up the World War I theme...its like the concept of the breakthrough. All the combatants sought after that moment where they could punch through the line and once ruptured drive home the victory. To get there they all knew there would be a long grueling, earth shattering battle, but if the push was hard enough and hit the right spot at the right moment a rupture could happen. And once it happened the break through would take on a life of its own and the enemy would cave in. (for the non-historians out there, contrary to most text books, the break through happened many times in WWI from France to Italy to Austria and Romania).

C&C is in the long battle now. It has been for awhile. We did not start the company with over a million dollars, we have not once quit the front to refit and regroup, we haven't treated this like a hobby, nor done marketing gimics to take advantage of people. We have stood here, unflinching for 11 or 12 years, putting out product that improves year after year.

How to continue to promote.

Conventions. These offer the perfect break. The organized play has to be just that, organized. If this is pushed hard enough it could easily take on a life of its own, away from the Dens, but in support of them. This is one reason we've kept our distance from the C&C Society. At its heart it is an organized play community and could add its weight to the final push.

The Siege Engine. This is a tough one, as it requires a huge outlay of expense and time with very high risk. That's one reason we've stepped off this to some degree. Better to build C&C than ancillary products.

C&C. It is its own best ally. What we need to do is put more quality C&C material out there. WE have massive amounts of room to grow and expand from Planescape, to the Adventurers BackPack, to Rogue's Galleries and Weapons Books. We need material that can add to the game without crowding it with unnecessary splat. If the imagination is the limit, then there is no limit.

This is what we need to do.

Why don't we? Two things are required. Funding and time. Both items are worth gold...literally.

Steve

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

I'm sorry, but Lee & Kirby made it impossible for me to see the word "Volstag" without laughing!
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

In case you have not been following it, here are the bonus rewards for the PH kickstarter:

BONUS REWARD #1: When we reach $3500.00 all the PRINT versions of the Players Handbook will be autographed by Steve and Davis Chenault.

BONUS REWARD #2: When we reach $4000.00 we'll add an EXTRA Players Handbook to everyone who has pledged $40.00 or more. This will be unsigned, allowing your autographed copy to avoid the game table abuse!

BONUS REWARD #3: When we reach $5000.00 everyone who pledged $40.00 and $75.00 will be able to add one adventure module of your choice to your package! Everyone who pledges $125.00 and 150.00 and more will be able add 2 adventures to their package. Everyone who pledges $175.00 and above can add three adventure modules to their package.

Bonus Reward #4: When we reach $6000.00 the project is fully funded. At that point everyone who pledged over $125.00 will receive an exclusive signed, numbered full color print of the new Cover on matte board. Signatures will include The Brothers Chenault, Peter Bradley and the rarely seen Mr. Mac Golden.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

MormonYoYoMan wrote:I'm sorry, but Lee & Kirby made it impossible for me to see the word "Volstag" without laughing!
LOLOLOL

He was actually one of the first characters that I ran in the world of Aihrde with Todd Gray and a guy named Rodney. Volstag was a ranger. He got killed by orcs at like 4th level...this after 2 years of gaming, often 2-3 times a week! (I gave VERY LITTLE experience points in those days hhaah)

Steve

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Troll Lord wrote:
MormonYoYoMan wrote:I'm sorry, but Lee & Kirby made it impossible for me to see the word "Volstag" without laughing!
Volstag was a ranger. He got killed by orcs at like 4th level.
He's never been a small target.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

At this point I would like a little help from all of you guys. If you could link that Kickstarter project and blog it, tweet it, facebook, email it, whatever you can do to let people know it is out there we all here would be very grateful for it!

Thanks,
Steve

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

We Google+'d it.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Troll Lord wrote:At this point I would like a little help from all of you guys. If you could link that Kickstarter project and blog it, tweet it, facebook, email it, whatever you can do to let people know it is out there we all here would be very grateful for it!

Thanks,
Steve
Blogged and us Google+ guys have been spreading the word as best we can.

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

So since it's above $5k now, so that means at the very least two copies of the PH and 1 module for $40 or better? Nice.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

What is this map deal Troll Lord? Is this going to be the interior image on the front and back covers or something? What's with the map?

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Yeah I totally didn't get the map thing... is it Inzae?
(is Inzae even a planet? is it the inside of a hollow Eairde?)

((i can't spell either one, sorry!))
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Map? What map?

Steve

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

It's a map of Stephen's getaway in Arkansas' Ozarks. The future site of TrollCon, right? Volstag, Arkansas!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

So, for the people who have pledged $175, do they get the faux leather bound edition? Seems to make sense. But what about the extra book they get? Is the extra PHB for the bonus goal always a standard edition?

What about the big-mama $500 level - are any of those PHBs going to get the faux leatherbound treatment?

Who is constructing the faux leatherbound editions (TLG, Walsworth, other)?

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Also, now that we have reached the bonus goal where everybody gets an extra PHB, does that same benefit apply to the $500 level where the reward is already 10 PHBs? Would you then get 11 PHBs?

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Does the retailer package get the bonus goal benefits? I happen to know on of those retailer guys.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Does the "bang" still go in the "bang-shang-alang"?
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Omote wrote:What is this map deal Troll Lord? Is this going to be the interior image on the front and back covers or something? What's with the map?

~O
That map that I posted here is the first of the maps for the Facebook game.

Steve