Switch to full style
This forum is a rarely properly updated forum that discusses everything we are working on at the Dens!
Post a reply

Official C&C Dice

Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:05 pm

I have picked up some of the recent sets of C&C dice. I love the colors and especially the d3s. The various logos for "Castles & Crusades" and "Troll Lord Games" on the d6s are really cool.

But there is one set of dice that is just so awesome, that needs to be mentioned: The 5th Crusade / Society, white dice set. The number six side of the d6 has the C&C society coat of arms on it that says "Castles & Crusades - 5th Crusade - Troll Lord Games. Not only is this side of the dice expertly fit on a standard-sized d6 (16mm I think), but combine that with the pearlescent white color, and you have one of the best look sets I have seen in a while.

So Troll Guys, where can I get these pearlescent white, Society, 5th Crusade dice sets?

~O

Re: Official C&C Dice

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:38 am

I must have them! It's my dice-sickness.

I recently got a set of C&C dice and quite like them too! if anyone is no the fence, I saw go for it! Good value including a pouch too!

Re: Official C&C Dice

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:28 pm

Yeah, PghGamer hooked me up with the sweet green ones with the C&C logo, but I saw Ronin post a pic of the white ones with the C&CS logo and they are awesome. Those might have just been for people who did the PH 5th printing Kickstarter, though.

Re: Official C&C Dice

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Just to play devil's advocate here, while they may look good, the real question is how well do they roll?

I subscribe to the Zocchi theory of dice manufacture: a sharp edge and corner means the die rolls more fairly than one whose edges have been polished. It's why I preferred casino dice (expensive but oh so worth it) when playing Traveller. I've got a lot of dice, but they sit around mostly unused because I don't trust them to roll fairly enough. That and the fact there are less expensive alternatives such as dice rolling apps.

Re: Official C&C Dice

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Traveller wrote:Just to play devil's advocate here, while they may look good, the real question is how well do they roll?

Gamescience dice are still and probably will always be the best dice for rpg's. I still have my Gamescience dice that I bought when I was around 12 and the Crown Royal bag I use to store them. (Don't exactly remember but it was between 1979 and 1982.) They have outlasted any other dice I've ever owned. (To this day there are still close to pristine condition.) Even they are not perfect. Casino dice are so expensive because they are calibrated so each side has the exact weight of all the others. Gamescience dice don't do this, but really it is such a small thing (For Gamescience dice) when you compare it with any other offerings out there. Most sets are just cheaply made and are only worried about the shape and that is about it. Any other, more expensive sets, are usually just in the area of being unique or collector dice. (I used to have an obsidian set and believe me, it was only for show.)

Without even looking at the TLG offerings, with the unique carved side I'd gather that it is probably 10 times lighter than other sides. Which would make the carved side come up more than any of the other sides.

Personally I don't have a problem using dice like these because the percentages are so small, and your not gambling money, that they are serviceable, but not perfect. Plus I like the tactile feel of rolling dice so I'm not big on apps. I also read that programming true random numbers is very difficult and suffer the same problem as uneven dice, with one number coming up more than any other. You even have to push aside the fact that mother nature/the universe seems to really, really like the number one. (Saw this when watching the British series called; "The Code". Very cool series if you like all that sciencey stuff.)

Re: Official C&C Dice

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:43 am

Sir Ironside wrote: Plus I like the tactile feel of rolling dice so I'm not big on apps. I also read that programming true random numbers is very difficult and suffer the same problem as uneven dice, with one number coming up more than any other. You even have to push aside the fact that mother nature/the universe seems to really, really like the number one. (Saw this when watching the British series called; "The Code". Very cool series if you like all that sciencey stuff.)


The programming would have to be EXTREMELY poor for it to be as flawed as your average (non-casino) dice.

Re: Official C&C Dice

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:12 am

Arduin wrote:
Sir Ironside wrote: Plus I like the tactile feel of rolling dice so I'm not big on apps. I also read that programming true random numbers is very difficult and suffer the same problem as uneven dice, with one number coming up more than any other. You even have to push aside the fact that mother nature/the universe seems to really, really like the number one. (Saw this when watching the British series called; "The Code". Very cool series if you like all that sciencey stuff.)


The programming would have to be EXTREMELY poor for it to be as flawed as your average (non-casino) dice.


I was right and wrong at the same time. My memory of the article was obviously flawed.
Post a reply