View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
TLG 8130 Codex Celtarum 
Greater Lore Drake

Post Re: TLG 8130 Codex Celtarum
Yeah, we are waiting for the last 10 pics to come in, othewise she's ready to go. Germania is on my desk and goes to editing right after Rune Lore comes back.

As you may or may not have heard we have launched a kickstarter on this. I was reluctant to do this for various reasons, but Tim convinced me otherwise (its good exposure for C&C). We hit our very modest goal and we'll do it in hardback, otherwise it will be out in softback as originally intended.

Check her out.

Steve Chenault, President & CEO of Chenault & Gray Publishing, Troll Lord Games

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:28 pm
Renegade Mage

Checked it out but the $40 price tag for a physical and digital copy ($40) -- especially once I factor in additional shipping to Canada (even if adjusted down to $12) makes this book a very expensive proposition -- especially if the estimated MSRP is gonna be $28. The cover artwork does look nice though but for the time being, I think the best option for me is to wait till it shows up in stores here... I'm sure you'll hit your goal though and best of luck with it.

M

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:43 am
Mogrl

Since this carries over into February and is to make this a hard cover instead of soft cover I will back this. If it ended this month I would not have been able to, since I had to pay out a crap load of money for college tuition, housing, books, etc... for my two oldest.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:07 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Do a $28 or $30 print only deal and I'm in!
I'm the first to say a pdf is still a book, but I've got a tight budget and $40 to KS vs $28 retail? tough call.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:37 am
Beer Giant Jarl

I'm in.

The Dungeoneering Dad

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:39 am
Profile WWW
Battle Stag

Hey, with this Kickstarter, all of the print copies of the book are in hardcover now! Trolllord made a mention of this upgrade in a recent mass e-mail. That's pretty cool.

~O

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

mmm hardcover....

Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:31 pm
Master of the Kobold Raiders

I had pretty well convinced myself not to back this. But in the end, a post by the author over on the "Old School Gamers" group on Facebook, where he spoke a bit about the 20+ year journey to create this, and the kinds of things that were going into it - and could go in if the $8000 stretch goal was met - moved me to do so in a way that the relentless tweets and FB posts never could. Well, that and the fact that it's actually written. :)

Congrats to TLG on what looks like another great product. I'm looking forward to getting it.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:24 pm
Mist Elf

In the future, it may be helpful to let people add additional optional items to a given pledge level. Instead of constraining our choices of the extra goodies to deciding on which pledge level to go for, let us just add a certain amount post KS or something to get what we want. I would like to have had the leatherbound edition of the book, but I'm not interested in the $100+ level full of stuff I didn't want to get that special edition. Instead I settled for the $40 level. Also, I wouldn't have minded paying some extra to get signed copies, or to order an extra copy (one for collecting, one for playing), but these don't appear to be options, natch.

C'mon, all the cool RPG publishing kids are doing it...You know you wanna....

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:34 pm
Lore Drake

Storycrafter wrote:
In the future, it may be helpful to let people add additional optional items to a given pledge level. Instead of constraining our choices of the extra goodies to deciding on which pledge level to go for, let us just add a certain amount post KS or something to get what we want. I would like to have had the leatherbound edition of the book, but I'm not interested in the $100+ level full of stuff I didn't want to get that special edition. Instead I settled for the $40 level. Also, I wouldn't have minded paying some extra to get signed copies, or to order an extra copy (one for collecting, one for playing), but these don't appear to be options, natch.

C'mon, all the cool RPG publishing kids are doing it...You know you wanna....

I honestly haven't seen any Kickstarters do this. It seems like it'd be a logistical nightmare doing it this way.

Speaking of signed copies, am I the only one that doesn't like them? Just marking up my books, just seems wrong, no matter who is doing it.

The only exception I might have done was Mr. Gygax.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:45 pm
Mist Elf

Paizo, Elmore, Fate, Reaper, and Traveller all had "Options". I think in all those cases, you could either add your option before the end, or tweak it post funding.

It's a moot point here -- and an opportunity lost, I think. I would have spent more than the $40, but not to buy a tier full of stuff I already have (and a t-shirt I could have worn when I was like 10 :) ).

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:03 pm
Mist Elf

Sir Ironside wrote:

Speaking of signed copies, am I the only one that doesn't like them? Just marking up my books, just seems wrong, no matter who is doing it.

I see where you are coming from. I think for me it's because they often sign it in very strange places. If there was a prominent blank spot left on the title page for this, I wouldn't mind. Otherwise it looks like an afterthought and sloppy to me.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:35 pm
Hlobane Orc

I will be happy to sign copies if we can manage that somehow, by conventions, etc, no problem, and it won't be in weird places! This book was a major journey for me, enough of one that I could write an entire academic one to explain it all. It would be autobiographical covering my own progression from gamer nerd to educated teacher and Celtic scholar...and gamer nerd! This project in my gaming mostly consumed my last two decades of gaming activity, the only other one that nearly rivals it is a Cyberpunk campaign setting that is gathering dust. A lot of work went into it, every bit, and if there are any typos, flaws, etc that still remain after all of the edits and production the fault is mine. I will be happy to address questions on things that might not be full explained (that were overlooked somewhere along the way), just let me know and I can correct them as we go.

Until then, be ready to don your torc, strap the sword on your right hip, dab on the woad, lime back that hair and leap into the Otherworld of Tir na nOg ready for adventure Celtic style!

Brian N. Young.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:56 am
Profile WWW
Renegade Mage

I ended up backing this ... at the $100 level.

For those who follow my blog, I mentioned that I initially wasn't all that interested backing the project -- not because of the content, but more because of the financial logistics of it all. At the lower levels, I still maintain that it wasn't really worth the costs given a $28 hardcover (though with the additional page count, they could put the MSRP at $29.95 now) even with a couple of extra modules. For me, $52 dollars (that's shipping to Canada included), it didn't make much sense.

However, with the stretch goals and what one gains at the $100 level ($124 with shipping to Canada), it was worth reconsidering. Sure... aside from the Celtic Codex (2 copies), I will be getting books I already have but, given that I have started a new C&C campaign with a 5 players (only one who has the PHB) and have another few friends that doesn't have any other books aside from the PHB and M&T, I think I can find homes for the extra few books. Economically, anything at this level or higher just makes sense.

M

Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:51 pm
Mogrl

Yeah, I went back and forth on supporting it even at the $40 level, and being in the US, because I don't give as much value to the PDF's as the Trolls do. If I loved PDF's, the $40 level would be a deal. Since I don't, I don't consider it a deal, I'm just doing it to support TLG and to get this book as a hard cover instead of a softcover.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:58 pm
Mist Elf

Downgraded to the $60 level as I just don't have a use for the leather copy it will just look all weird on my shelf next to all the other C&C books I have.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:09 pm
Maukling

Like a few others here, I was also flip-flopping on whether or not to support this KS. I'm interested in the book, but I didn't see the value for what I got at the $40 level (the lowest amount to get a physical book) and the MSRP of $28. I do understand that was the original MSRP, and that with additional content and the hardcover it may well be more. Even with that in mind, I was having a hard time backing it. I know, for me part of it is the absolute flood of KS projects lately. I'm kind of getting turned off by them. Maybe I'm missing something but my feelings are that if the product is good enough then it shouldn't have to be pre-sold with a crapload of incentives...it should sell just fine after it's released. *shrug*

Troll Lord wrote:
Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:33 am
Mogrl

Lord Dynel wrote:
Like a few others here, I was also flip-flopping on whether or not to support this KS. I'm interested in the book, but I didn't see the value for what I got at the $40 level (the lowest amount to get a physical book) and the MSRP of $28. I do understand that was the original MSRP, and that with additional content and the hardcover it may well be more. Even with that in mind, I was having a hard time backing it. I know, for me part of it is the absolute flood of KS projects lately. I'm kind of getting turned off by them. Maybe I'm missing something but my feelings are that if the product is good enough then it shouldn't have to be pre-sold with a crapload of incentives...it should sell just fine after it's released. *shrug*

Well, this KS was to have it be a HC instead of a soft cover. I mean, at how the Trolls value their books and their PDF's, and now a module, $40 is a deal. Just for me, the only "value" I am getting out of this is just the book. PDF's are only a tool for me to make on line gaming easier. I hate reading them. I already have all of the TLG modules, sometimes two copies (such as Heart of Glass). So the only thing I am really getting out of this is the HC version of this book, versus a soft cover. Not worth $40. Hence why I feel I am just throwing some extra cash at the Trolls to support them, and I just happen to be getting some token pay back that really has no value to me.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:41 am
Mist Elf

Wow, so I had to cancel my pledge due to my fiance getting into a minor car wreck. Nothing major and I'm just glad she's OK, but now the money needs to go to repairs. Bummer. Well, I'll pick it up when it's available!

Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:53 am
Maukling

Treebore wrote:
Well, this KS was to have it be a HC instead of a soft cover. I mean, at how the Trolls value their books and their PDF's, and now a module, $40 is a deal. Just for me, the only "value" I am getting out of this is just the book. PDF's are only a tool for me to make on line gaming easier. I hate reading them. I already have all of the TLG modules, sometimes two copies (such as Heart of Glass). So the only thing I am really getting out of this is the HC version of this book, versus a soft cover. Not worth $40. Hence why I feel I am just throwing some extra cash at the Trolls to support them, and I just happen to be getting some token pay back that really has no value to me.

I agree, Tree. In the end, it's more than just a book. I, too, have all the modules and don't really use the PDFs beyond novelty purposes. It was about support. All the Trolls I've exchanged emails with, talked to on the phone (even the little Troll who picked up the phone once :)) and the ones I've talked to and shared a beer with at Gen Con (still waiting on a particular CD, Breakdaddy!) are great guys. At the end of he day, if I can support them, I most likely will. And Brian's offerings have been good, too, so that's a plus. :). I think it was more me being burned out on the whole flood of Kickstarters out there (not specifically the Trolls, but all the rpg ones) that had me a little weary and doubting this one. With no sign if them slowing up, I'll just have to be a bit more discerning...and TLG is where my money'll go more often than not! :)

Troll Lord wrote:
Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:47 pm
Beer Giant Jarl

I sort of get the issue, but I'm very pleased at what I'm getting for $60.00.

$40.00 might not have made much sense for just the book, but $60.00 for the book, color map, extra content, adventures (unlike most, it seems, I do not own them all), etc. seemed worth it to me.

I'm eager to read this bad boy.

The Dungeoneering Dad

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:34 pm
Profile WWW
Mist Elf

One major difference here, I hope, is that we won't be waiting forever to get it fulfilled. It sounds like this thing is ready to go. Perhaps more-so than previous...ahem...TLG P.O.U.S.es.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:02 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Hello all,

I am going to endeavor to send out a weekly update about the progress on the Codex Celtarum until its release.

Foremost, we've set the order schedule. The book will not be put up for order until all Kickstarter packages (within reason) are shipped. There are sometimes issues with addresses etc, we will not hold up the entire release for these. But the day that kickstarter backers are shipped, we'll put the book up for sale.

The book itself stands thusly: The cover art is complete and ready for layout. We need to work on the lettering just a bit, but that too is largely compelte.

The interior is written and edited and in layout. It is largely laid out, however it still needs some art and the spells need set in the proper format.

The exclusive adventure, A Sylvan Gambit is heading to editing this week.

The extra content is being turned in today. Peter and I will look it over and find its placement today.

Tshirt will be finalized this week and sent to the tshirt printers.

Todd placed the order for shipping boxes and the like, to stock up for when the materials begin to arrive.

We hope to have the book on the Printers Desk no later than Feb. 21.

Thanks!

Steve

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:46 pm
Lore Drake

Hi Trolls,

What's the latest update?

Thanks.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:58 am
Mogrl

dachda wrote:
Hi Trolls,

What's the latest update?

Thanks.

I think a "Troll Week" is two months for us normal humans, so not quit time for an update yet. :lol:

Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:27 pm
Ungern

It's at the printer currently. We have the cover proof and are waiting on the interior proof. Release date has not been set yet. That comes from the printer, Walsworth. We are waiting for that date.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:25 pm
Greater Lore Drake

We found a problem in the text. There was no spell table listing all the spells. We have hammered that out (or will by tomorrow) and back to press. So hopefully next week we'll get a hard release date from Walsworth.

Tshirt is finished.

Fold out maps waiting to go to press, probably in about a week or so (or two months haha)

Thanks!
Steve

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:58 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Dumb question: why send it to another printer when TLG invested in it's own printing shop? is it just too large a quantity at once?

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:43 am
Greater Lore Drake

Relaxo wrote:
Dumb question: why send it to another printer when TLG invested in it's own printing shop? is it just too large a quantity at once?

We do and we did. Early on we had some issues with hardbacks, that was largely fixed, but we realized that our rate of production on hardbacks was not large. Taking into account time then it proved cheaper to outsource these bad boys; of course as soon as we did the market shifted and the price of outsourced hardbacks dropped to below what we can do them for in house, which just made us all happy. So now we outsource and deep print the hardcovers like Codex Celtarum.

Thanks!
Steve

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:36 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Interesting note about Walsworth, or so I'Ve been told...one of my C&C players said one of his school yearbooks was printed by Walsworth. I think TLG should have WW print a company yearbook, complete with company employee photos, a look at the print shop, and little things like..."Stephen Chenault" "Most likely to buy stock in Dr. Pepper".

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next