View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
TLG 8129 The Book of Familiars 
Greater Lore Drake

Post TLG 8129 The Book of Familiars
TLG 8129 Book of Familiars
Product Type/Format & Price: 8.5 x 11 Perfect Bound, 144 pages; $24.99 (est)
Ordering Info: TLG 8129, ISBN 978-1-936822-32-4

Beyond the comforts of home lie worlds of epic adventure.
Taleriean lay upon the steps, pinned with arrows. Balo’s headlong rush ended in death. Now Eurich stood alone upon the steps . . . not quite alone, for with him stood Bonecrush, his animal companion, his familiar. Emboldened, he fell upon the orcs in the mad rush of glorious combat!

Familiars for All Classes
All those who tread the paths of the wild, who crawl through the lost dark, plunder treasures of the ancients, must surely find themselves alone and bereft of friends. It is in those moments, when the cold creeps up your spine, and the hair rises, that you most need a stalwart companion at your side; a wolf to bare fangs, an owl to see into the darkness, a muse to whispers songs of the ancients, a named sword of cold steel and magic . . . these are the familiars you seek.

An Arm Extended

The Book of Familiars offers a groundbreaking look at Castles & Crusades’ thirteen core classes. Herein we expand the horizons of familiars and have developed a fully functional, well balanced approach for each character class to gain a familiar or animal companion. These added features do not inhibit the simplicity of the Siege Engine, nor do they add a level of complexity to your game that slows it down. The Book of Familiars adds new dimensions to the game without impeding play.

And these are not the familiars you know. However, the Book of Familiars breaks the fantasy mold. From the barbarian’s spirit guides, to a fighter’s weapons, the monk summoning ancestral spirits, or a rogue’s shadow with a life its own and the paladin fusing his own spiritual power with his arms and armor. These are familiars as you’ve never seen them.

Alongside the unusual, offered to you are over 150 animals and monsters for typical familiars, from crows, owls, toads and rats to pseudo-dragons and the like.

Steve Chenault, President & CEO of Chenault & Gray Publishing, Troll Lord Games

Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:24 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Post Re: TLG 8129 The Book of Familiars
Casey Christofferson has been hard at work on this text. He's completed the whole project but for the animal conversions which I'm helping him with and the Sorcerer and Knight need some touching up.

It will get in line for the editors.

Thanks,
Steve

Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:26 pm
Hlobane Orc

This book looks very interesting indeed. It sounds like something new (to me anyway). But 144 pages... :o

Guitarist in Rust Age (old-school rock)
http://www.rustage.dk
http://itunes.apple.com/dk/artist/rust-age/id460786336

Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:31 pm
Greater Lore Drake

I have (and enjoy) the old d20 version of thsi book so can't wait till this one comes out

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:58 pm
Greater Lore Drake

DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:20 pm
Ungern

Any idea when this is going to be available for pre-order? A lot of my players are kind of in love with pets in their RPGs. They don't currently have any in the C&C campaign im running at the moment. However I suspect it will come up eventually and if not in this campaign almost certainly the next. So im sure im going to get some use out of this book, and I have been eying it on the anvil website for some time hoping to see it up for pre-order.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Ungern

BoF is completing the final writing stage and should be on the Troll's desk very soon, and then off to editing!! This could be any day now.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:39 pm
Mogrl

Any updates? Actually got a question about this in our G+ community.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:42 am
Ulthal

Treebore wrote:
Any updates? Actually got a question about this in our G+ community.

Don't rush these guys! They said back on December 5th, over 100 days ago, that it would be "any day now." Don't be so pushy.

:twisted: /sarcasm

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

This got bumped for a variety of reasons, but its been C&Cized and off to the editor.

Peter and Jason can't keep up with the project flow. We've hired a new artist, Dave Peterson and he dove right in on Jack of Lies!

I'll get a better idea of this in the next week or so. But it is on the board!

Steve

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:56 pm
Red Cap

Probably time to start talking this project and some others :)

For those who own the previous d20 version, be prepared for a "familiar" surprise!

I'll wait for the groans to die down.

Ok... familiar right, got it, its a book about familiars. True.

For those of us who cut our teeth on the older iterations of the most famous RPG in RPG history however, we all know that something has been missing from the game that we remember as a kid. This little something has been missing since 2nd edition, and frankly, its that missing thing that sends a lot of us back to those familiar style of games of which Castles & Crusades has forged its own unique identity.

Remember hirelings? Henchmen? Animal companions and familiars that actually had a "life" and an importance to the character? We do too, and it was with this spirit that we approached our initial creation of the "book of familiars" and asked ourselves how we could employ all the great ideas and content from that famous d20 source and bring it into the C&C universe.

The Castles&Crusades book of Familiars is the answer to that. New powers. New abilities. Unique monsters. Familiars that have been adapted and enhanced for the Rosetta Stone of gaming. While some of it mirrors the original source material it has all gotten the full C&C treatment, so that it not only makes sense to gamers who enjoy a more elegant system, it also allows for more freedom and adaptability on the part of the Castle Keeper It is our firm belief that old fans and new alike will "get" what we did with this book and the new and exciting elements we added for character classes that didn't make the first book. Assassins? Illusionists? Knights? Excited? Good!

Another area of excitement is the opportunity you will have to see more great artwork from Peter Bradley, as well as art from a new find to the Troll Dens, Artem Shukaev! This kid is fire and with luck we will get a chance to see a lot more of his work in the future as TLG continues to forge ever forward in our quest to give you the absolute best we have to offer in RPG excitement!

Happy Easter everyone!

C. Christofferson

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:31 am
Greater Lore Drake

I'm really looking forward to this. It's on my "must buy" list already.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:01 am
Greater Lore Drake

I have no set time on this as of yet, but I sent it to editing today.

Steve

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:37 pm
Unkbartig

So can't wait for this, incredibly excited

Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:04 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Still in editing. Noel Showers is tackling this for us!

Steve

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:05 pm
Ungern

Any new progress to report? Just curious as it and the Storyteller's Thesaurus are probably the two things on the Anvil I am the most excited for, and they seem to be moving the slowest. New products keep seeming to lap them.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
Ungern

Ive been resisting bumping this again... but I was just wondering if there was any chance for this to come out this year? Not that I dont love the other books, but the players at my gametable do love their pets, so I keep thinking Ill get a lot of use out of this book.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:38 am
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

I'm glad you did bump this! I talked to Casey about this yesterday. I went over his files and notes (exchanging experience points for familiar summoning abilities) and checked what the sucker needs. It only lacks the Knight, which is open on my desk now and should be off to editing tonight.

The rest of the book, is to my knowledge edited and ready for layout.

I've moved it up on the white board and pulled the final file for writing.

This year? Very strong possibility!

Steve

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:34 pm
Mogrl

Troll Lord wrote:
I'm glad you did bump this! I talked to Casey about this yesterday. I went over his files and notes (exchanging experience points for familiar summoning abilities) and checked what the sucker needs. It only lacks the Knight, which is open on my desk now and should be off to editing tonight.

The rest of the book, is to my knowledge edited and ready for layout.

I've moved it up on the white board and pulled the final file for writing.

This year? Very strong possibility!

Steve

About frickin time! We've only been waiting for this rewrite for what? 3 years? When you do this you force me to figure out how to do things on my own, which makes me reluctant to buy books like this. The only reason I bought the CKG is because I play in other CK's games, who do use the CKG, because they didn't figure things out like I have. Which is likely going to be the only reason I'll still buy this book, because my other CK's don't use the same system I've come up with. Then again, familiars and animal companions are pretty much non existent in their games. So my system is all that matters to me at this point.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:01 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Been waiting on this myself. VERY glad to see it moving forward. It, like Victorious, is on my must buy list.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:02 pm
Ungern

Treebore wrote:
When you do this you force me to figure out how to do things on my own, which makes me reluctant to buy books like this. The only reason I bought the CKG is because I play in other CK's games, who do use the CKG, because they didn't figure things out like I have. Which is likely going to be the only reason I'll still buy this book, because my other CK's don't use the same system I've come up with. Then again, familiars and animal companions are pretty much non existent in their games. So my system is all that matters to me at this point.

This is the exact sort of thing im trying to avoid. I am pretty sure familiars and companions are going to come up quite a bit in the next C&C campaign I run, and if this book isn't available when that happens im likely to come up with a system myself. That sort of thing is bound to happen with any supplement, but it does seem problematic when there is no sense of when the book is going to land. Especially when you want to give the good folks at Troll Lord Games your money.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

After a long conversation with other Trolls its been decided to roll the knight in with the paladin. In beginning to write the possibilities for the knight they kept mirroring the paladin in so many ways that it seemed pointless to reinvent the wheel. No need to be redundant.

That means, as Bluffside rolls off to press, this one rolls up to the ready. We need some fine tuning.

I'm strongly encouraged by the internal pre-order system that helps us push these books out and into hardback form.

We are strongly leaning toward that with this book.

Steve

Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:11 pm
Mogrl

Troll Lord wrote:
After a long conversation with other Trolls its been decided to roll the knight in with the paladin. In beginning to write the possibilities for the knight they kept mirroring the paladin in so many ways that it seemed pointless to reinvent the wheel. No need to be redundant.

That means, as Bluffside rolls off to press, this one rolls up to the ready. We need some fine tuning.

I'm strongly encouraged by the internal pre-order system that helps us push these books out and into hardback form.

We are strongly leaning toward that with this book.

Steve

I just gave Paladins the Knights Horsemanship ability. Works fine in my games, for the last 7 years.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:56 pm
Red Cap

Is this still inline to follow bluffside to the printers?

Gritty6 (epic6)

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:45 am
Greater Lore Drake

so much wnat!

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:57 am
Greater Lore Drake

Right now we are wrestling what to do with this title. We are seriously thinking of doing a kickstarter/preorder deal with it and Codex Nordica.

Both of these books will be ready about end of November (print ready that is). They are both written and edited and Nordica in layout.

We'll know that by the first methinks.

Comments are always welcome.

Steve

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:20 pm
Battle Stag

My suggestion is not to "burn out" customers on Kickstarter. There are already 2 outstanding Kickstarters that TLG is working on. Although, Kickstarter is about the best pre-order system that was ever invented, it could be diminishing returns with 3 outstanding Kickstarters in the works. I am interested in both of these releases, with Codex Nordica quite a bit more than Familiars (Familiars has been in the works for many years). My suggestion might be to include Familiars as an add-on to Nordica (or vice versa). Or, you could heavily promote Familiars as a big PDF-only book to gauge interest. Random rambling, but those were my thoughts.

~O

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Mogrl

I am not too anxious about Familiars since I own the D20 version of it, and I am tapped out on other Kickstarters right now, so personally I am fine with this being moved back to next year, but that would definitely suck for those who are eager about this book. I'd much rather see Aihrde finished.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:45 pm
Red Cap

I want both books. What about doing seperate preorders for them? With the option to add the other to the preorder.

Gritty6 (epic6)

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:07 pm
Lore Drake

Why not do them like Bluffside in house with TLG? If they will be published anyway, just set a monetary goal for the books to be hardcover.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next