On the Anvil: TLG 8951 C&C Basic Game

This forum is to discuss TLGs crowdfunding projects.
(NOTE: Until sorted, it will have legacy, non-crowdfunding threads in)
rabindranath72

Post by rabindranath72 »

gideon_thorne wrote:
I think that the boxed set is going for the '6 class' pattern. So Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard, Elf and Dwarf.

6 classes, 6 primes. Does that make more sense?

So dwarves are charisma-based and elves are constitution-based?

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

rabindranath72 wrote:
So dwarves are charisma-based and elves are constitution-based?

*snort*
“Style is the perfection of a point of view.”

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

The M&T description makes Halflings seem more like Ranger or ranger thief combo's to me.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

That's why it's going to be a good idea to wait until BC&C comes out some we can get the feel of the elf and dwarf, and from there know which direction to go with the halfling.

I know many people don't like the sorcererclass from v3.X, but that would be a pretty neat, unusual combo for a halfling... sorcerer/thief!
-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Bump it... because you know you like it like that.

Somebody care to drop some knowledge on this project to us? Any tidbits?

-O
VAE VICTUS!

Lucifer_Draconus
Hlobane Orc

Post by Lucifer_Draconus »

What's the age range that this is geared toward?

Iam Who Iam

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Iam_Who_Iam wrote:
What's the age range that this is geared toward?

Iam Who Iam

Pre teen. Although I imagine any age group could use it.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Count me in as interested. When my 5 year old played C&C the first time she was hooked and this seems like something she would like.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

jman5000

Post by jman5000 »

I realize I'm a curmudgeon, but I still don't get it.

if C&C is supposed to be the cats ass in simplicity, why do we need a simpler game? and if we do need a simpler game, why one that emulates a "basic" system from a quarter century ago?

Cheers,

J.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

jman5000 wrote:

if C&C is supposed to be the cats ass in simplicity, why do we need a simpler game? and if we do need a simpler game, why one that emulates a "basic" system from a quarter century ago?

Cheers,

J.

Because the way a young person thinks is not the same as an adult. *smiles* You, obviously, don't need this particular version, so why fret about it?
Why even have a slightly simpler system that emulates in style a more 'advanced' game? Because there's a market for it and people want it.

Thats generally the 'why' to a lot of these questions.

Peter Bradley

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Well, I can't say I'm happy about C&C Basic getting delayed but in Steve's latest blog he lays down the reasons quite well. Hopefully in 6 months or so this project will be back in fold or possibly in our worn adventuring hands.

It's good to hear though, that C&C Basic is going to get the attention it deserves.

-O
VAE VICTUS!

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Omote wrote:
Well, I can't say I'm happy about C&C Basic getting delayed but in Steve's latest blog he lays down the reasons quite well. Hopefully in 6 months or so this project will be back in fold or possibly in our worn adventuring hands.

It's good to hear though, that C&C Basic is going to get the attention it deserves.

-O

Think of it this way, it could end up getting a lot of positive attention as a release for Gencon 2008.
M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

jman5000 wrote:

Cheers,

J.

CC Basic has a target audience of 10-15 year olds and will be written for such. It IS NOT designed to be the re-release of the Mentzer Box set or any other game. It will have even less options than the present version of CC in order to facilitate play. But its main goal is younger gamers who are presently playing card games and the like.

And I know you for the trouble maker you are J-man! NO SOUP FOR YOU!

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

*bump* Because it can be.

-O
VAE VICTUS!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Ooo ooo, we do the Omote Bump. Its like a Mario Monkey Jump, only no explosions and 500 gella.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Troll Lord wrote:
CC Basic has a target audience of 10-15 year olds and will be written for such. It IS NOT designed to be the re-release of the Mentzer Box set or any other game. It will have even less options than the present version of CC in order to facilitate play. But its main goal is younger gamers who are presently playing card games and the like.

And I know you for the trouble maker you are J-man! NO SOUP FOR YOU!

Steve

You know, I had thought "why bother, C&C is already pretty simple to begin with," but now that I've been following Treebore's thread about marketshare on another board, I get it....

The marketing nature of the "box set" that would be sold in TOY stores rather than BOOK and GAMING stores.

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

jaguar451
Ulthal

Post by jaguar451 »

seskis281 wrote:
You know, I had thought "why bother, C&C is already pretty simple to begin with," but now that I've been following Treebore's thread about marketshare on another board, I get it....

The marketing nature of the "box set" that would be sold in TOY stores rather than BOOK and GAMING stores.

Do you have a link? Sounds like an interesting discussion.

FWIW, I've been a lurking for a while, and the idea of a Basic product definitely interests me. I got my start with Basic D&D in the early 80's. and while I haven't gamed much for years, I am thinking of introducing by 8 & 4 year old to RPGs....

Although if I were to have a vote:

* Halfling -- for the LOTR-fan parent CKs or the class clown playing a fun-loving rogue....

* Ranger -- someone who can talk to animals (although maybe the Elf fill this role instead of BD&D's Fighter/Magic-User?)

* Races wouldn't be classes (never liked this as a kid playing BD&D -- what you do isn't what you are)

Of course, there is probably a reason I'm not a game designer... Given the discussions around this, I can see why some of these decisions were made.

And not a deal breaker for me.

And can't tell from the description how the below are implemented, but wondering about....

* Magic system that keeps low-level Wizards & Clerics involved?

* Pre-gen characters as examples? (One for each "class")

* Attributes generation rules -- something other than 3d6, six times, in order?)

All in all, sound very interesting, and if I don't first buy the C&CPH, I'll probably get this (or maybe both

rabindranath72

Post by rabindranath72 »

jaguar451 wrote:
* Races wouldn't be classes (never liked this as a kid playing BD&D -- what you do isn't what you are)

Well, not necessarily. First, we are talking about fantasy races: what you do might be what you are.

Second, you may think of racial classes as "what's the class of the most common adventurer type of the race in question".

Oh, and welcome to the Crusade!

Antonio

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Welcome to the Crusade, indeed!

It just goes to show you that there is furhter interest in the Castles & Crusades Basic Game. Man-o-man I can't wait for this product to come out.

Hey Trolls, let me tell you if you are having a hard time finding additional writers to polish this beauty up, look no futher then good ole' Omote. I'm as basic as they come.
No seriously, call me...

-O
VAE VICTUS!

jaguar451
Ulthal

Post by jaguar451 »

Thanks.

Race as class does have a certain appeal for getting started (why does my mind change only AFTER posting?) Maybe if ye could design the system to easily be modified to support races as classes, an include an optional rule for it.... Might simplify integrating with other C&C content....

Back to reading the C&C Quick Start & other fine downloadables.

rabindranath72

Post by rabindranath72 »

jaguar451 wrote:
Thanks.

Race as class does have a certain appeal for getting started (why does my mind change only AFTER posting?) Maybe if ye could design the system to easily be modified to support races as classes, an include an optional rule for it.... Might simplify integrating with other C&C content....

Back to reading the C&C Quick Start & other fine downloadables.

If it may be of support...I have applied simple multiclassing rules since the days of Classic Mentzer. Essentially, all demihumans who wish to join classes other than the racial ones do it by multiclassing. So, for example, a halfling (fighter) who wants to be a thief, will implicitly be a fighter/thief. He advances on the more costly table, and earns half XPs. He gains the better saving throws and attacks from all the "classes", and the most restricting armor rules.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Because Castles & Crusades Basic was mentioned in another thread by a new poster to these forums, you better beleive I'm gonna BUMP this thread.

[insert techno bass beat]

*bump*

*grunt*

-O
VAE VICTUS!

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

I had some huge insight into this version the other day after talking to some gamers who had never played an RPG. They were 10 or there abouts in age. Also, I've come up with a nice presentation that will be pretty unique I think.

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Very much looking forward to this. Me likes new.

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

Another DEFINITE BUY by Troll Lords added to my list.

Its C&C BASIC. Key word- BASIC. Thats why Races are "classes". It will let newbies learn the basics(that word again!!) before moving on to the hard stuff(hard covers??)

Personally, I can't wait. Sounds great.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

I'll probably pick this up for the kids and let them run their own games. I'd love to be a player for once instead of always being the CK.

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

My kids are pretty young (nearly 5 and 2), but my hope is to start some simple FRP with them in the next year or two (They both already have their own dice! ) . While I've got no qualms about pulling out Moldvay or Mentzer, I think it would be extra-special cool if we used an actively supported game and they could segue into hardcover C&C later.

(Plus I'm a sucker for boxed sets! )

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Anybody notice this on the Troll Con page?
Steve Chenault will break out the working copy of the Basic set and run some good old fashioned role playing for the kids!

Time for the dancing cow.

John Adams

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

*doink*

-O
VAE VICTUS!

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

Troll Con = July, huh? So maybe a GenCon release?

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE?!?
Maybe one of my friends who sometimes goes to Indy can snag me a copy.

...and a pony!