TLG 8015 Castle Keepers Guide

This forum is to discuss TLGs crowdfunding projects.
(NOTE: Until sorted, it will have legacy, non-crowdfunding threads in)
Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

mostrojoe wrote:
Perhaps I am doing a silly question, but the Umbrage Saga has something to do with the old ENnie nominated Umbragia Campaign Setting?

No sir. No relation.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Troll Lord wrote:
There is pretty good news on the CKG actually. I have spent the last week or so going over our books for 2009, looking at sales reports, comparing them to production and release and breaking down those releases in cost and price point. All this is done to see what is selling and when, how and how much time and effort we are putting into it.

Keep in mind that we have to have a constant source of revenue to stay in business. There is no magic net to catch TLG when she falls. Mark and Peter would have to be let go if we drop too low. So we ALWAYS have to put out new things.

Now concerning the CKG:

The CKG is too monstrous to get out easy and can't supply TLG a constant revenue stream (until released) so we can only devote so many resources to it. THAT said, once we decided last Fall to keep it intact and not chop it up into quarters and release as separate books, we had to take some time and backlog ourselves. Which we have done....Umbrage Saga and Book of Familiars, and miniature battle rules and M&T of AIhrde will keep everyone busy for a spell, supply revenue and give me some time to work on the CKG.

Soon. Very soon.

Thanks!

Steve

ps But for god's sake don't stop buying TLG products hahahah

Ready and willing to buy the Umbrage Saga, but have been waiting weeks for it to reach my FLGS. Any news on that???

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

dutch206 wrote:
I officially declare this book to be vaporware. Duke Nukem forever, anyone?

Vapourware is something that is announced then you pretty much never hear about it again, except maybe rumours or the like.

The CKG has been never like this. TLG has been very good at keeping everyone up to date as its status. But, by your definition of vapourware I'd guess you also call The Dresden Files rpg vapourware or A Dance with Dragons vapourware. Non?

Now, I don't need to know just what is going to be in the CKG as of yet, but could you tell me if there will be mass combat rules? I find it mind boggling that a industry that follows in the footsteps of The Lord of the Rings fights so hard to not develop mass combat rules.

Stainless
Ungern

Post by Stainless »

Steve's info. above sounds very reasonable. I'm happy to wait for CKG (heck, I haven't even received my PHB yet, but it is in th epost )

Anyway, I think there is some rumour that a new Aihrde Codex is in production. Is this true and if so, what is an approximate ETA?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Stainless wrote:
Anyway, I think there is some rumour that a new Aihrde Codex is in production. Is this true and if so, what is an approximate ETA?

I don't think this book was officially announced, but it has been mentioned by TLG numerous times. I wouldn't look for the updated Codex of Aihrde anytime soon. Perhaps late this year sometime. Just an educated guess on my part though.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Omote wrote:
I don't think this book was officially announced, but it has been mentioned by TLG numerous times. I wouldn't look for the updated Codex of Aihrde anytime soon. Perhaps late this year sometime. Just an educated guess on my part though.

I guess what approach they take will determine when/if it comes out. I to am just speculating, but if they already use the old Codex and just replace all the d20 crap with C&C rules then the project would be easy. Most of the Codex is just all *fluff* with little actual mechanics or stats. If they plan on rewriting it or do extensive changes then I can see it taking awhile with focus on the CKG. Like Omote just all just one big guess my part.

Even though I just got the original Codex for $2.00 (Hehe) I'd still buy a updated Codex specific to C&C.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The original Codex was updated, somewhat, in the After Winter's Dark Folio. I think that author will have to go back to the original source material and make some changes that are in line with the Folio for the new Codex of Aihrde.

When After Winter's Dark Folio was released, man was there a mini uprising about some of the changes that were made. Though all of those questions were answered, it will still be interesting to see what is going to happen in the new Codex of Aihrde.

Complete theory here, but one good thing that can happen for any new Codex is the fact that Pater Bradley has either updated all of the maps or is in the process of updating the Aihrde maps. Those maps will really spruce up any new Codex nicely.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

It seems that yet we are in the TLG challenge we talked about this last week... the fans are heavily asking for products and the Trolls are not able to meet the request. For now obviously...

This first quarter of 2010 is going to be interesting...

Stainless
Ungern

Post by Stainless »

It's all so complicated! I was just looking at a mint-condition copy of Codex Edre on e-bay and wondering if I should splurge on it or play it cheap/safe and buy the pdf stuff on Drivethrurpg (although there seems to be multiple overlapping/conflicting(?) materials there).

Since the gazetteer is only 31 pence!, I think I'll go that route.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Rewrites began today. Introduction today and Chapter one begins tomorrow. Then off to editing. Chapter by chapter.

As for the Codex of Aihrde. That is in the offing. I just purchased the original painting for the book. That was when these things were done on canvas don't ya know! Can't wait for it to get here.

The re-writing that needs done is largely focused on the races. I found that the Codex, being so dense, is difficult to use if you are wanting point specific info on something like halflings. So each race is being space in the book, more along the lines of the Folio, though expanded. A little more of the mythology as well, and this is being greatly expanded in M&T of Aihrde, which will serve as the building blocks for the Codex.

I'll put out a more global announcement later, but in short more big projects, less little projects.

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

mostrojoe wrote:
It seems that yet we are in the TLG challenge we talked about this last week... the fans are heavily asking for products and the Trolls are not able to meet the request. For now obviously...

Bwuh? There is a difference between people talking on a forum about things they would like, and what you are suggesting. I don't see anyone demanding TLG to put out this and that. And, I hate to be the barer of bad news, but anonymous people on a forum (This includes such large ones like RPG.net) make up a small percentage of people that actually buy and play games. Sure the fine folk at TLG take a active part in their forum and sometimes even ask us for an opinion. But, they way you worded it is like TLG is failing at their task, when I would argue that they are exceeding expectations.

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

Sir Ironside wrote:
But, they way you worded it is like TLG is failing at their task

No way! I am just saying that they have an ever growing fanbase and that they will have to make them happy, a thing increasingly difficult when popularity goes high!

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

mostrojoe wrote:
No way! I am just saying that they have an ever growing fanbase and that they will have to make them happy, a thing increasingly difficult when popularity goes high!

Well then all I can say, is pick your words carefully when posting. A) Once quoted or read it isn't something you can easily take back and B) It is very hard for people to get what you are saying through just typed words.

I know I depend a great deal on eye contact, voice inflection and body language just to understand people in every day life. Posting on forums you take all that away.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Sometimes it helps to note that some of our forum members are from other countries too. And may not always have English as their first language. So when there is a chance of misunderstanding, check the person's 'location' on the left, and ask for clarification of the meaning of their posting before jumping to conclusions as to what they mean..

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Jackal
Ulthal

Post by Jackal »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Sometimes it helps to note that some of our forum members are from other countries too. And may not always have English as their first language. So when there is a chance of misunderstanding, check the person's 'location' on the left, and ask for clarification of the meaning of their posting before jumping to conclusions as to what they mean..

A very good point that.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

gideon_thorne wrote:

Geez all that and now I have to roll my eyes to the left? I didn't know this forum was difficult!

My apologies to mostrojoe.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Geez all that and now I have to roll my eyes to the left? I

Well, what with all the eye rolling I cause, I figure you have plenty of practice.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

stoneshape
Hlobane Orc

Post by stoneshape »

Could you post a picture of the canvas when you get it? Maybe start a new thread?

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

stoneshape wrote:
Could you post a picture of the canvas when you get it? Maybe start a new thread?

Well, if you're talking about the cover art, its been on the product page for some time.

Peter Bradley

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

That makes me want to have this product in my hands even more.
~O
VAE VICTUS!

mostrojoe
Red Cap

Post by mostrojoe »

Sir Ironside wrote:
My apologies to mostrojoe.

No need to apologize, I forgot in a hurry to point out that the debate to wich I was referring myself was on another thread, this one:
http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

without reading it a person could have thought that I was a detractor of the Trolls. I am a big fan of them instead, I just want to see C&C become even bigger.

Jackal
Ulthal

Post by Jackal »

Omote wrote:
That makes me want to have this product in my hands even more.
~O

That is some great cover art! Here's hoping Steve's comment of a few days ago means we'll see this thing sometime this year.
And I'm doing my part, I picked up several new TLG products just a few days ago.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Jackal wrote:
And I'm doing my part...
Jackal is doing his part. Would you like to know more? *click*

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Jackal
Ulthal

Post by Jackal »

Omote wrote:
Jackal is doing his part. Would you like to know more? *click*

~O

I don't often actually laugh out loud, but that did it.

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

Any solid release date?
then the Pact is to Avenge.

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

I think the Trolls need to adopt the George RR Martin message here:

"It's not done yet. Still working. When it's done it will be posted here in quivering capital letters. Until then, assume it's not done and we're still working."

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

CKDad wrote:
I think the Trolls need to adopt the George RR Martin message here:

"It's not done yet. Still working. When it's done it will be posted here in quivering capital letters. Until then, assume it's not done and we're still working."

Yeah, but George RR Martin is a faster writer ,lol.
then the Pact is to Avenge.

Stainless
Ungern

Post by Stainless »

The only info. so far (via the Facebook/Youtube videos) is that they intend it to be a 2010 release.

===============

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

BLOOD AXE wrote:
Any solid release date?

Solid as air.

-George Washington

Thoom
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thoom »

There's beer involved, so I believe the GenCon 2010 release date!