TLG 8015 Castle Keepers Guide

This forum is a rarely properly updated forum that discusses everything we are working on at the Dens!
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

No, you're not.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

JediOre
Red Cap

Post by JediOre »

Real men don't twitter! I mean really, has anyone looked up the definition to twitter lately? Now, if it was called mumble or lecture, than that would be cool. But Twitter? That's something teenage girls do! NOT TROLLS!

Okay, that's off my chest. What are they saying out on the Twitter thing?
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that flying mummy! What could possibly happen?"

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

The Trolls would have to be sending the CKG to the printers (or printing it themselves now?) in October to hope to get it into stores by December.

Can you imagine how excited we will all be when they announce the CKG is being printed? There will be partying online every day until they arrive. Good times are coming - someday soon I hope.

John Adams

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Actually, here's a suggestion.

If the Trolls finish the sucker off, they should do a small run of softcover ones. That way, we the loyal fans can not only get it that much sooner but we can also let them know of any immediate typo's or errata they could have missed. A hundred extra pairs of eyes would go a long way in catching potential problems that less dedicated people might send some flak for when the hardcovers subsequently come out.

Just a thought...

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

ozchandler
Skobbit

Post by ozchandler »

anglefish wrote:
Hmmm. Be careful of that. There's been more than one CK that was tricked by their players into running 3.0.
Seriously, I've read a few times where a CK added this or that from 3.0 and then the players basically said, "Well we use so much of 3.0, let just go back ... because we players never wanted to leave anyway."

that's one thing i don't worry about; they loathed 3.x fantasy

Erekose
Henchman

Post by Erekose »

As we have new versions of the PHB and Monsters & Treasure . . . once the CKG arrives is there any talk of a "boxed set" of all three? Or even all four if Of Gods & Monsters was added . . .

I have copies of earlier versions of the PHB and Monsters & Treasure but would love to showcase the new format . . .
We must not remind them that giants walk the earth.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

There has been some words about having a set of the new PHB, M&T, G&M, and CKG all together in one slip case, or some like collection. But nothing has been announced. If such a thing were to happen, it might be a while off in my estimation.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Erekose
Henchman

Post by Erekose »

Omote wrote:
There has been some words about having a set of the new PHB, M&T, G&M, and CKG all together in one slip case, or some like collection. But nothing has been announced. If such a thing were to happen, it might be a while off in my estimation.

~O

Sounds great! Sadly I'm not sure I'll be able to wait as I'm sure I'll buy the CKG once it reaches the UK!
We must not remind them that giants walk the earth.

cturnitsa
Skobbit

Post by cturnitsa »

ozchandler wrote:
way back when the CK guide was first announced (seems like years ago...oh wait, it has been), an alternative skill system was said to be part of the book. i made the above post to see if that was still true (i know better than to ask when the book will be released).

in short, i made the earlier request at the behest of my players, not for me.

Ozchandler - I don't know what the CKG's alternative skill systems will look like, but I always liked the one from 2e - so I rewrote it for C&C. A link to a pdf with the whole thing (including rules for acquisition, and descriptions of the skills in SIEGE engine terminology) is available on my blog.

[url]http:chuckgame.blogspot.com/[/url]

It's been posted there for some time now, and I get about 1 or 2 people a week who download it. Never any comments, but I know people are getting it.

Chuck

Gaming with Chuck
http://chuckgame.blogspot.com/

dunbruha
Ulthal

Post by dunbruha »

cturnitsa wrote:
It's been posted there for some time now, and I get about 1 or 2 people a week who download it. Never any comments, but I know people are getting it.

I just grabbed it. Very nice work!

ozchandler
Skobbit

Post by ozchandler »

Ozchandler - I don't know what the CKG's alternative skill systems will look like, but I always liked the one from 2e - so I rewrote it for C&C. A link to a pdf with the whole thing (including rules for acquisition, and descriptions of the skills in SIEGE engine terminology) is available on my blog.

thanks chuck, i'll look it over, but we're looking for something "official" and canon to c&c.

dutch206
Red Cap

Post by dutch206 »

Are we there yet? *whine*

cturnitsa
Skobbit

Post by cturnitsa »

Any News on a date? I know the Trolls get tired of hearing this, but we have been p-a-t-i-e-n-t . . .

Gaming with Chuck
http://chuckgame.blogspot.com/

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

cturnitsa wrote:
Any News on a date? I know the Trolls get tired of hearing this, but we have been p-a-t-i-e-n-t . . .

It's on indefinite hold. The Trolls want to do a good job on the book, so it will be done when it is done--it is not going to be rushed. Read the News from the Troll Dens: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

The Misfit Troll Word Wrangler
www.christinastiles.com
www.misfit-studios.com
www.trolllord.com

dutch206
Red Cap

Post by dutch206 »

I officially declare this book to be vaporware. Duke Nukem forever, anyone?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I doubt there will be much more news on the CKG until there is a good news to pass along. It's just as well. It'll get here when it gets here, and if it doesn't there is still plenty good C&C out there.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

dutch206 wrote:

No, I don't agree there. It will see the light of day--just at its own pace.

www.christinastiles.com
www.misfit-studios.com
www.trolllord.com

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

dutch206 wrote:

I guess my emotions are mixed on this. On the one hand, it's something that would be nice to have. On the other, I don't really need it to have a good time. This isn't to say that I don't want to see it, because I do, but it's just not going be the end of the world for me if it's not out right away. I'd rather see an awesome product. As well, I'd like for the other projects that are more rapidly tractable to get completed to help the bottom line so that we can keep getting C&C goodness.

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Sir Osis of Liver wrote:
dutch206 wrote:
I'd rather see an awesome product. As well, I'd like for the other projects that are more rapidly tractable to get completed to help the bottom line so that we can keep getting C&C goodness.

Amen to that! Let's keep the C&C goodness coming.

www.christinastiles.com
www.misfit-studios.com
www.trolllord.com

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Christina Stiles wrote:
Sir Osis of Liver wrote:
Amen to that! Let's keep the C&C goodness coming.

Double amen. The batch of stuff that is hitting the anvil now is exciting. Especially M&T of Aihrde.

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

dachda wrote:
Double amen. The batch of stuff that is hitting the anvil now is exciting. Especially M&T of Aihrde.

Yeah, I think that an influx of new monsters will energize the game far more than the CKG would. I'd be way more excited about spending my money on a new book of monsters than I would on a tome that, interesting though it may be, is optional for my game. The monsters, on the other hand, could be directly plugged in and...well, you get the idea ([cough] Dead PCs [cough])...

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Sir Osis of Liver wrote:
Yeah, I think that an influx of new monsters will energize the game far more than the CKG would. I'd be way more excited about spending my money on a new book of monsters than I would on a tome that, interesting though it may be, is optional for my game. The monsters, on the other hand, could be directly plugged in and...well, you get the idea ([cough] Dead PCs [cough])...

Excellent statement that I subscribe to.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

dutch206
Red Cap

Post by dutch206 »

>__< Bad hair day I guess. Apologies.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Yeah I think TLG was pretty succinct on what they plan to do with the CKG. Which I think is what should have been done regardless to what other people feel.

I just hope that by the time the CKG is ready, that both the CKG and the Of Gods and Monsters are both available as a hardcover. That way I'll get both.

stoneshape
Hlobane Orc

Post by stoneshape »

I'm extremely happy the CKG will see no short cuts taken!

JediOre
Red Cap

Post by JediOre »

stoneshape wrote:

Dittos!
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that flying mummy! What could possibly happen?"

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

Quote:

There has been plenty of time for no shortcuts and a finished product. I mean come on it has been years and years. I'm so friggin tired of waiting. I don't want a rushed product any more than anyone else but there comes a point where your left wondering what the deal is, why is it taking THIS friggin Long?

I'm also tired of hearing you dont need it to play. the Trolls told me about it and got me very much wanting to buy it. Then did not deliver for years and years now. Dang it I want it! The issue isnt about what I need to play....its about what I want to play.

Also they keep changing things up and taking new stuff and leepfrogging over the CKG. Now some of that stuff looked really awsome and all but it's not the CKG! A product they already sold me on years ago.

At this point im not buying a single thing till after the CKG comes out."ok to be fair I have so much Troll lord adventures that I don't need anything for a while because I already bought it all but there are a few things by Mr. Ward that looked awsome that I have not gotten yet because the next dang time I order from the trolls its gonna be a order with two CKG in it!

Subscriber to Crusader Magazine!
http://www.cncsociety.org

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

There is pretty good news on the CKG actually. I have spent the last week or so going over our books for 2009, looking at sales reports, comparing them to production and release and breaking down those releases in cost and price point. All this is done to see what is selling and when, how and how much time and effort we are putting into it.

Keep in mind that we have to have a constant source of revenue to stay in business. There is no magic net to catch TLG when she falls. Mark and Peter would have to be let go if we drop too low. So we ALWAYS have to put out new things.

Now concerning the CKG:

The CKG is too monstrous to get out easy and can't supply TLG a constant revenue stream (until released) so we can only devote so many resources to it. THAT said, once we decided last Fall to keep it intact and not chop it up into quarters and release as separate books, we had to take some time and backlog ourselves. Which we have done....Umbrage Saga and Book of Familiars, and miniature battle rules and M&T of AIhrde will keep everyone busy for a spell, supply revenue and give me some time to work on the CKG.

Soon. Very soon.

Thanks!

Steve

ps But for god's sake don't stop buying TLG products hahahah

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
troll@trolllord.com

mostrojoe
Hlobane Orc

Post by mostrojoe »

Perhaps I am doing a silly question, but the Umbrage Saga has something to do with the old ENnie nominated Umbragia Campaign Setting?

Another question: the miniature battle rules are something like the old Battlemaster or some sort of skirmish rule system for combat in C&C?

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

mostrojoe wrote:
Perhaps I am doing a silly question, but the Umbrage Saga hass something to do with the old ENnie nominated Umbragia Campaign Setting?[/quote}

Not a thing to do with it.
And the miniature battle rules are something like the old Battlemaster or some sort of skirmish rule system for combat in C&C?

Its some sort of rule system that is made for C&C, not from anything else. Although, there are only so many ways to toss dice around, so I'm sure someone might find some coincidental similarity.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach