Fields of Battle . . . is . .

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Fields of Battle . . . is . .

Post by Rhuvein »

a FRIGGIN' FANTASTIC GAMING PRODUCT!!

Just a quick post to say, that I got a chance to play/run this with Casey and a bunch of folks at TrollCON and I'm blown away.

Too tired to post details right now, but watch this space for some thoughts and comments tomorrow.

WELL DONE, Casey and TLG!!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Nice. Glad to hear it's good.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lord Dynel wrote:
Nice. Glad to hear it's good.

Its not good, it's real good, maybe even into the realm of fantastic!

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Only downside to this TrollCon was that I couldn't work one of these games into my schedule. But everyone who played it (including my son) had a blast. Can't wait to try it out.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

I never did get to play in a FoB game
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

As soon as I get this, I'll jump into that random scenario generator... have some ideas, but need to see what is covered and what is not (ie, if there are no rules for siege, that makes some things pointless to randomize...)

Egg of Coot
Hlobane Orc

Post by Egg of Coot »

I'll have to start searching under the couch cushions for the money to get this one . . . .

The Egg

PrimEvil Studios on Facebook. Be a fan.

PrimEvil Studios is on Facebook. Click here to become a fan.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Any details maybe just a short overview of the game that was played. I'm very curious about this one, but I'm waiting to order for the CKG
-Mike

hedgeknight
Hlobane Orc

Post by hedgeknight »

Might also add this to my want list - will see how my demo at my LGS goes first and see if there is continued interest for the future.
Winter is coming...

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

mgtremaine wrote:
Any details maybe just a short overview of the game that was played. I'm very curious about this one, but I'm waiting to order for the CKG
-Mike

Yep, for sure. Still recovering from a long wild weekend and a lack of sleep!

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Some pics . .

Other folks took some pics (which I hope will be posted) and Morty filmed most of this event. He is going to edit the film and I'm sure he will post it soon.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

And just before anyone asks....

No, Fields of Battle does NOT come with all those minis, fortifications, trees, etc.

Those are Casey's...
The box set comes with counters in sheets that would need cutting, and Fat Dragon kits for some siege gear, also in assembly-needed sheets.

And although I didn't get to play... the box absolutely rawks!!!

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

hedgeknight
Hlobane Orc

Post by hedgeknight »

seskis281 wrote:
And just before anyone asks....

No, Fields of Battle does NOT come with all those minis, fortifications, trees, etc.

Those are Casey's...
The box set comes with counters in sheets that would need cutting, and Fat Dragon kits for some siege gear, also in assembly-needed sheets.

And although I didn't get to play... the box absolutely rawks!!!

And I was already formulating a post in mind to ask those very questions!
Great pics - can't wait to see the vid.
Winter is coming...

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

FoB is the BOMB! Casey hit a homerun with these rules. I was thinking up how I'm gonna set this up for MapTools the whole drive home (for those at the con, you know how long that drive is ).

I can't wait to play it again.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Hopefully Fields of Battle will break beyond the C&C crowd - tho its "tied" to C&C it really looks to be good stand alone wargame and useful pretty easily with AD&D early editions, d20, etc. RPGs....

Toast to Bowbe!

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Bowbe
Red Cap

FIGs :)

Post by Bowbe »

Haha yes, the figs are mine but hey I figure that most of us have a pile of miniatures here or there or wherever and if not Peter did a butt kicking job on the counters included in the book.

I have a rather broad collection of figs and I would say that my relationshio with D&D is directly tied to the fact that my dad was a war model painter. He thought D&D was pretty lame but he loved the Ral Partha figs and painted a ton of them and taught me how to paint them as well. I will say he is pretty proud of the Fields of Battle box set, after I explained its pretty much the same game he used to play with me with WWII figs, except with C&C rules applied. Dad never understood why someone needed to be a game master LOL. Luckily if you just want to stage battles with your buddis you don't really need one.

At Troll Con i took a slightly different tack. I let the players choose what units they wanted to play and I just sat back mostly and helped out with rules/ran NPCs or spare units and still had a blast!

Robert... sorry your game was a bit more dissarayed than I would have wanted it, luckily I had that sorted out by Saturday, and I'm glad you still had a great time!

CC

mabon5127
Ungern

Post by mabon5127 »

I have to add my kudos for Fields of Battle. Lots of fun, a simple system, and one that can be added to for more realism as a group becomes more experienced. My hats off to Bowbe!

Morgan

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

I'm doing a brief write-up of the first half of the game . . and hopefully Rigon and Morty will post their views of the game. Should be up shortly.

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

Thanks Rhu, was great to finally meet you guys in person for the first time and to get to game with you all! I really liked being able to hang back and watch people strategize and scheme!

It was also fun when people would pass by the table and go... oh thats a battle straight out of DB6... or those are Characters from DB 5 and that people actually knew who the characters were! (Thats new for me LOL) I go to a LOT of cons, and sadly most of them I am introducing people to C&C and Haunted Highlands for the very first time! It's nice to know (in person) that people actually read (and enjoy) the stuff I write!

C.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Bowbe wrote:
Thanks Rhu, was great to finally meet you guys in person for the first time and to get to game with you all! I really liked being able to hang back and watch people strategize and scheme!

It was also fun when people would pass by the table and go... oh thats a battle straight out of DB6... or those are Characters from DB 5 and that people actually knew who the characters were! (Thats new for me LOL) I go to a LOT of cons, and sadly most of them I am introducing people to C&C and Haunted Highlands for the very first time! It's nice to know (in person) that people actually read (and enjoy) the stuff I write!

C.

Yep for sure, I enjoyed talking with you and the gaming was superb.

Well done, Sir Bowbe!

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Partial recap:

Rigon and Morty took the evil side and Treebores son Bran and I took the good side. We were defending the castle and they were attacking.

They had squads of goblins, goblin sappers (tunnelers gnolls, bugbears, 4 ogres, a ballista, a catapult, orcs and a few other groups that I cant recall at the moment (might have to look at some of my pics again hopefully others will post some as well).

We had a cavalry of knights led by a high level bard, dwarves, the town rabble, barbarians, archers, spearmen to guard the walls and front gate. Also, we had a high level cleric and paladin as commanders (heros).

So the game starts with my archers shooting flaming arrows at their siege weapons, was able to score direct hits and start them on fire, but they were able to put them out in a round or 2.

They advanced some squads, we sent our dwarves out a hole underneath a wall to dig trenches around the front of the keep.

We know our cavalry was coming to our aid (in 3 rounds of game play). Archers atop our towers continued to shoot at the siege equipment doing lots of damage to the squads manning them and starting the engines on fire, but they always were able to put them out.

Back and forth until the cavalry charged in. We had thought to have them break for the front gate, but they were attacked immediately. After a round, we thought to have the leader (our bard commander) break from the cavalry squad, so he could enter the castle . . (to rally the troops, confer special abilities and raise the flag thus adding more battlefield bonuses) via the trench and tunnel entrance under the side wall.

More to come . .

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

As Rhu adds... we had the opportunity to use Hero Vs. Squad attacks, which a lot of our playtesters have never experienced in the one off's i've run at conventions.

There is a 2nd line on a unit block that gives the to hit and damage bonus for squad vs. hero and it went pretty well, as savvy units ganged up on heroes and so on. This wasn't a "PC party" situation where the PC party amps it up and starts crushing squads in dungeon romp fashion... this was more of a Major General John Reynolds going down in a fusilade of sniper fire at the beginning of Gettysburg situation.

In our table top games, this is one of my favorite aspects of the FoB rules. You can go be a hero, you can be a leader, but you can also be targeted for your leadership and if you get hit/die your troops are shaken and force morale checks that can significantly change the outcome of the fight!

Anyhow, enough of me... back to the other guys in this fight! Woot!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Team Evil would have quickly overwhelmed the puny humans and dwarves if the stinking dice would have been more cooperative. This battle should have been over before the calvery even galloped into view.

Damn you low rolls!!!!

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Can you tell us the size [numbers] of the forces involved also.

-Mike

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

mgtremaine wrote:
Can you tell us the size [numbers] of the forces involved also.

-Mike

I am pretty sure it was at least 250 per side, and very possibly 500+ per side for the Saturday game. Our Friday game was much smaller, maybe 150/side.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

T.E.'s side was quite large. I was handling half the forces and my troop numbers were about 200 (about 40 units) with 3 heros give or take a few. Morty's group was equal to that. Not sure how large the humans were.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Treebore wrote:
I am pretty sure it was at least 250 per side, and very possibly 500+ per side for the Saturday game. Our Friday game was much smaller, maybe 150/side.

Yep, good call . . in fact, I'd like to try and calculate the numbers with help from Patrick, Morty and Rigon. Gobs were 10 to a mini and there were a bunch of those.

I'm fairly certain the evil side had more troops than the good, but that was OK ~ considering we had the castle/keep.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

interesting... ok on with the show. [/me Grabs the popcorn]

-Mike

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Having fun today setting up a battle . . pulled out the maps and minis and took some pics ~ they came out lousy with my phone cam. I'll re-shoot tomorrow with my real cam.

For my first batlle, I won't use dragons (I just threw them in there for effect) and I'll scale the battle down some more to get the hang of it and learn the rules better.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Rhu, that is freakin awesome!

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads