Castle Keepers Guide UPDATE

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Re: Castle Keepers Guide UPDATE

Post by TheMetal1 »

More Errata:

Page 11, Attributes & Character Age

"When Characters reach venerable age, however, their bodies, both mentally and physically, begin to deteriorate as their inevitable march toward death encroaches ever closer"

The problem with this is if you go to page 30, Table 1:30 Effects of Aging it is listed that when one is Vernable, they get -3, strength, constitution, dexterity; +1 Intelligence, wisdom, charisma

Shouldn't this be a -1 Intel, Wis and Cha based one what was stated on Page 11 that at the vernable age the PCs will mentally deteriorate as well as physcially.

Also, the naming convention your using for all the Tables in the book is for example "TABLE 1.27 HEIGHT AND WEIGHT BY RACE" The Effects on Aging table is "TABLE 1:30 EFFECTS OF AGING" you need change it from a ":" (colon) to a "." (period).

Next up is actually "TABLE 1.27 HEIGHT AND WEIGHT BY RACE" on Page 30

In Tables 1.28 and 1.29, you have the following:

"Elf, Twilight (Drow)" and "Elf, Wood (Gray)"

In Tables 1.27 you leave out the "(Drow)" and "(Gray)" recommend reinserting that for continunity.

Lastly is Table 1.15 MONK SPECIAL ABILITIES

Level 13, 14, and 15 all have "60" under the "Tertiary" column and nothing under the "Move" Column. Looking at the chart, the "60" needs to be placed under the "Move" column for these levels and "Tertiary" column needs to be left blank, which puts it in line with how the PHB (page 22) handles a simliar chart (Monk Special Abilities, Page 22, PHB 4th Printing, Digest Sized)f or the Secondary attacks.

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

FYI, Grognardia made mention of the CKG last week: link

Like it or hate it, Grognardia is the hub of old school gaming in the blogosphere. It wouldn't hurt to send a copy to James Maliszewski.

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

Got mine in the mail yesterday, whoot!

Ok, so browsing quickly through, I read a bit of a few pages, one being the last on Character Death, page 279. Now I haven't read the whole thing, but here are two items I found...

Left column, first paragraph, "From a mega-game stand point", should this this read "From a meta-game stand point"?

Also left column, paragraph six, fourth sentence (line 6) , "keep that mystic of realism" should be "keep that mystique of realism".

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Errata III

Ok, so looking at Equipment Wastage rules.

On page 153, under Simple Rules for Combat Wastage it says, "...attack by a natural 20 or involved in a natural 1."

Ok, cool got it, but on page 154, at the top it says, "When a creature strikes with a natural d20...." The exact same wording is used at the top of 156 as well.

I think this should say, "When a creature strikes at a player character and rolls a natural 20...." (or something to that effect - the point being is that "natural d20" is probably a misprint.)

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Pg 72, Table 4.6 ~ In the table heading the right-hand column says CL. This should be changed to d20. This chart is a chart where you roll a d20. It has nothing to do with CL.
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Keep em coming folks! I'll begin putting these in today and continue through the weekend. Two/third's of the equipment has left Florida and the rest is being manufactured in Tennessee and should be here the following week. Printing will begin even before all the gear is assembled for the binding and that will probably commence on Monday the 10th.

Thanks,
Steve

garydee
Hlobane Orc

Post by garydee »

Troll Lord wrote:Keep em coming folks! I'll begin putting these in today and continue through the weekend. Two/third's of the equipment has left Florida and the rest is being manufactured in Tennessee and should be here the following week. Printing will begin even before all the gear is assembled for the binding and that will probably commence on Monday the 10th.

Thanks,
Steve
Hallelujah! :D

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Troll Lord wrote:Keep em coming folks! I'll begin putting these in today and continue through the weekend. Two/third's of the equipment has left Florida and the rest is being manufactured in Tennessee and should be here the following week. Printing will begin even before all the gear is assembled for the binding and that will probably commence on Monday the 10th.

Thanks,
Steve
WOOT!!!!!!

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The CKG Digest still says PRE-ORDER in the product description. This may have caused some confusion, just to let you know.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

Steve, check your email for some pdf versions of fixes.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Hey all,

I've entered in all these edits and a few besides. I want to thank everyone for your help. Even the smallest editorial changes helps, in the long run, make for a better product. You all continue to be a major reason that this job is actually fun. The book is in the last lap.

With that in mind, we got hit by a huge storm and it shut central Arkansas down. So the equipment for hardbacking hasn't arrived yet. I'm telling you there is something about the CKG...someone needs to call in a cleric and have a remove curse spell cast!

Thanks,
Steve

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Yeah, but snow days make for good proofreading days! I'm hoping for another one in SC!

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

+1 on the Snow Day here in Columbia. Crazy I thought for I while I was in Buffalo, New York or something. Anyway, another couple questions/possible edit for the CKG.

1. On Page 50, under Pulp Sorcery, it says, "The following pulp-inspired alternatives..." The whole entry seems to sort of stop short. It presents one alternative the Non-caster Scroll use table and descripters which is good, but in the last paragraph it seems like there is going to be more stuff and then it just kind of stops. It left me wondering if something got dropped off, like a sacrifice chart or rare herbal components, etc.

2. On Page 242, under Crafting Magic Items. It clearly says that what is in the CKG expands upon what in M&T. Cool, but in reading this, I pulled out my trusty new copy of the M&T 4th Printing and I realized that the CKG seemed to cover and expand upon everything except for "Creating Unusual Items"; "Special Materials"; and "Sentient Magic Items." I think "Speical Materials" and "Sentient Magic Items" are covered well in M&T but was suprised to see them not mentioned. More importantly though, The "Creating Unusual Items" had been a topic of discussion (See this thread here: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames ) which need some clarification, perhaps best served by an example. That being said, it may be a better fit for the next printing of M&T. But that is for you all to decide.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

I have a ton of stuff for the Firearms Section.

So, once again we return to page 207.

Cartridge Singe Action Rifle (Breech Loader) is not included in Table 13.1 Primitive Firearms
On Page 209.

The some of the entries for the Weapons in Table 13.2 Modern Firearms, don't match the heading and description or are missing completely. Specifically the following:

Semi Automatic Pistol is what is written in the Table but the description is listed as Semi Automatic Handgun. Additionally the Range Increment in the Table is 25 but in the description is 50.

Submachine Gun Table 13.2 has a Range Increment of 30, but the description gives it a Range Increment of 150.

"Assault Rifle" and "Assault Carbine" are listed in Table 13.2, but have no matching description for it in the entries below.

Light Machine Gun in Table 13.2 has the Range increment at 200, but the description says 900.

Heavy Machine Gun in Table 13.2 has the Range increment at 300, but the Entry has it at 2000. (Likely the descriptors in the entry need to be changed to maximum range or maximum effective range)

Grenade Launcher in 13.2 has range as 250, in the entry it is 500.

Grenade is listed as Modern Hand Grenade in the Entry. Range Increments and ROF don't match what is in the entry. You also mention Damage radius for this grenade in Table 13.2 (there is only one – Modern Grenade). The problem is it doesn’t match what is written in the entry. Further it is confusing when discussing the damage Radius – 150 feet range of the blast in the entry, but 30 feet range increment in the Table. Even more challenging is that there are two additional range entries listed in the description along side the 150 - one for 20 and 40 (40 being called the "secondary Damage Radius), but when you look on page 211 about grenades, you see nothing listed about a “secondary Damage radius” which is listed under the Modern Hand Grenade. Lastly, in Table 13.2 for Grenade, under the column for “Reloading,” it says, “1 Grenade” is this what you intended as everything else has to do with a number or rounds it takes to reload the weapon system.

Rocket Propelled Grenade has the Range increment in table as 300, but in the entry it is 750.

A note regarding Grenades, Grenade Launchers and RPGs. Much like you mentioned the various shots for the smooth bore canon, I was surprised to not see any mention of the various types of grenades. Perhaps a Grenade Table might have been better suited here to expand up smoke, white phosphorous, Thermite, Fragmentation, etc.

On Page 210, Table 13.3 Age of Lasers and their subsequent entries below it.

Pulse Laser Pistol - No descriptor entry below Table

Pulse Laser Rifle - No descriptor entry below Table

Plasma Blaster Rifle - The entry is listed simply as Plasma Blaster, and talk briefly about the Rifle and pistol version.

Sonic Wave Emitter - The entry below the table is listed as simply the Sonic Disrupter

Rail Gun Rifle, Rail Gun Canon, Laser Canon, and Plasma-Squad SPT Gun have no entry below the table whatsoever despite being listed in Table 13.3 all stated out. Further Plasma-Squad entry in Table 13.3 is messed up with the spacing – too long a space until “SPT.” And it puts “Gun” on another line

Multiple Rocket Launcher - No entry in Table 13.3, but in reading it, it references RPGs which I think it was intended to be put in Table 13.2 and listed as an entry there rather than under the Age of Lasers.

Of note, While you have Black Powder Grenades, Modern Grenades, I was surprised to not see a Future-type Grenade – i.e. a Plasma Grenade. Thought it might have been an omission

Another interesting to note that no canons are offered in the Modern Firearms section, but are listed in both 13.1 and 13.3. Was this an oversight or deliberate?

Table 13.4 Body Armor. (Page 210) This table and it's subsequent Armor Descriptors should be placed if possible on the previous page, or expanded to include the Damage reduction from platemail or chain mail - if any - in the Black Powder era and add in Body Armor for the Age of Lasers - (Aka - Space Marine type stuff). It seems very incomplete without this. Further, the it mentions the types of damage it deflects or absorbs. It would be helpful to have that 'damage type' placed as a column in the entry for each weapon.

Page 211, Combat and Equipment Considerations
You list several types Firing in each table (13.1, 13.2, 13.3) They are as follows: SS - Single Shot; DT - Double Tap; FA - Full Auto; B - Beam. The problem is under page 211 you don't use the abbreviations. Further, you include Burst Fire and describe it on page 211 but not in any of the tables, but fail to add a descriptive entry for Full Auto or Beam.

Other Notes:
I was surprised to see the only malfunction of weapons listed under “Oops” for Grenades, Rockets and High Explosives. Might be helpful to have a simple malfunctions table for each weapons age. For instance, in the Blackpowder age, a roll of a 1 would be a misfire with a 25% chance of exploding and destroying the firearm causing damage as a Blackpowder Grenade (or canon shot). For the Modern Age, a roll of a 1 would be a jam and requires reloading but twice as long and a 25% chance to explode causing Modern Grenade Damage and maybe a for the age of Lasers, a roll of a 1 means it misfires and overheats with a 25% chance of exploding causing Plasma Grenade Damage.

On page 211, Under Grenades, Rockets and High Explosives.
"All Grenades, rockets and high explosives, such as plastic explosives or mines...." Ok, just so you are aware you don't have any entry for these weapons, nor to have any entry for any kind of high explosives.

Here is another, same paragraph, it says, “For example a Fragmentation Grenade….” No mention of a Fragmentation grenade only Modern Grenade.

Again, below that it says, "In other words a stick of dynamite exploding...." there is no mention of Dynamite.

If want these things in, then likely a table for High Explosives should be put in there, but have it for each era.

Also of note, the order of the entries does not match the order of the table and headings don't always match (i.e. Minigun vs. Electric Minigun) - this goes for all tables here 13.1, 13.2, and 13.3.

In the Tables under “Range Increment” several entries mention “Line of Sight”. No mention of this is found anywhere else in the book. Though Called Shot and Two Weapon Fighting is.

Again in the Tables under “Loaded-Capacity” some entries are simply a number (in Table 13.1). But in Table 13.2, You have some that say “ # Round-Belt” which is fine I guess, but a having the Belt described would be helpful. Additionally the entry for minigun has “round Belt” with the “r” not capitalized as the other Round Belts are.

Table 13.3 has issues with mixing capitalized and non-capitlized entries of the same time (Magazine vs. magazine) Further no description is given for shot Battery, round self-charging, or round magazine.

Under “Reloading” in Table 13.3, there is mention of X-round/Self-Recharging (again some entries mixing capitalization – specifically Plasma Blaster Rifle has “Recharging” while all the other entries are “recharging”. Then under “Laser Canon” and “Squad Plasma” it has “5 round recharge” and “3 round/ recharge” which do you want to use? No descriptor is really give for these either, I mean, it might be helpful to include all of these issues under a separate entry type thing for capacity, reloading, etc. under “Equipment considerations’

This is the last thing for now. In table 13.3 there is mention that the Rail Gun Canon in the notes is required to be mounted. It might be helpful to mention mounting of weapons systems in the Equipment considerations as well. This would also apply to mounting of canons and mortars for the black powder era, Multiple Rockets for the Modern era and possible the Minigun, it might be helpful to add in tripods etc.

Ok, so there was a lot in there and I hope you have time to take a look at it.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

My god, keep on rocking TheMetal1!
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Ok, another small thing. I was flipping thru the CKG and saw the entry for the Purple Worm on page 197. I had seen some cool minatures over at Paizo for the Purple Worm so figured I'd give the entry a read. It says the following:

"The miners of the world hate and fear the purple worm. They dig large tunnels stretching for many miles underneatht the earth making mining easier."

I guess what struck me about this is the big Purple (no affliation with RPG.net though one might make the connection considering it's ecology :) ) is hated and feared, BUT it makes minig easier. Perhaps a better way to put it would be as follows:

"The miners of the world both hate and fear the purple worm. At the same time though, the purple worm digs large tunnels streching for many miles underneath the earth making mining much easier. So discovering the tunnel of purple worm is both a boon and cause for fear as one never knows when the worm will come back that way."

Again, this is just more personal taste as this is really flavor text, but wanted to point it out.

garydee
Hlobane Orc

Post by garydee »

Nice job Themetal1. I hope Steve has time to get these corrections in.

Demiurge
Red Cap

Post by Demiurge »

All you errata folks rock!

The Trolls should consider doing something like this with all new products. I'll even volunteer! :ugeek:
Find me on the Google+

My GM badges
ImageImageImageImage
Get yours here

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

TheMetal1 wrote:1. On Page 50, under Pulp Sorcery, it says, "The following pulp-inspired alternatives..." The whole entry seems to sort of stop short. It presents one alternative the Non-caster Scroll use table and descripters which is good, but in the last paragraph it seems like there is going to be more stuff and then it just kind of stops. It left me wondering if something got dropped off, like a sacrifice chart or rare herbal components, etc.
You are right, and I was just proofing that section. Perhaps if it just read "alternative," it would hold up better?

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Demiurge wrote:All you errata folks rock!
+1 to that! More eyes do help, as do fresh ones. I've gone back through up to C5, and I found some things on the chapters I did.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I can help with "rare herbal components." I have a bunch of stuff like that already written.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

An extra set of fresh eyes would indeed help! Thanks to all who have contributed on the errata front in this thread. It will make the hardcover that much better.

Don't be shy folks! Pick a couple of pages in your digest CKGs and go over it with a fine tooth comb and post here! The chapters that need the most coverage are chapters 6-19.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Rikitiki
Red Cap

Post by Rikitiki »

uh, Metal1?? You left out a very important one: The Holy handgrenade! (we'll need that to fight the rabbit). :lol:

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Omote wrote:The chapters that need the most coverage are chapters 6-19.

~O
Make sure those wastage rules make sense in C9. We had some discussion on that, and I want to make sure everything is clear there. I don't think I've actually seen the final on that chapter. I still don't have my CKG copy. :(

garydee
Hlobane Orc

Post by garydee »

Rikitiki wrote:uh, Metal1?? You left out a very important one: The Holy handgrenade! (we'll need that to fight the rabbit). :lol:
:lol: That was one bad a$$ rabbit!

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Cloud sourcing at its finest!

@ Steve, this does indeed seem cursed. Even Atlanta has a foot of snow? signs of the end times?
John Adams (Coleston the Cavalier) is a high-level cleric, maybe he can help. :-D
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I really appriciate all of the typo/clearifications you folks are finding. Bonus for me waiting to get my hardback.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Christina Stiles wrote:You are right, and I was just proofing that section. Perhaps if it just read "alternative," it would hold up better?
Yeah I think that would work, as it limits expectations to that one alternative. The last paragraph still seems a bit awkward, though I think if it was moved right under the paragraph that begins with "True wielders of pulp-style...." but above, "The following optional plup-inspired alternative...." it might be a better fit.

zarathustra
Red Cap

Post by zarathustra »

Ok can someone update me on what exactly is available?
I live in Australia so shipping books is sometimes as expensive as the book itself so I would be interested in the digest size I guess. What size exactly is that?
Is that what I would be ordering if I ordered now or would I be ordering a hardcover?

I guess no perfect bound softcover this time (too big?)

Good work on getting the CKG done trolls. I'm really surprised to see all the lasers and plasma blasters and whatnot in there when space was such an issue (pun intended!).

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

zarathustra wrote:Ok can someone update me on what exactly is available?
As you probably have, I did a quick check at the Trolls online store. In regards to the Castle Keeper's Guide, it appears to be only available at the moment in digest sized. From what I understand the Trolls are getting in a new printing system that will allow them to print more things in-house, specifically hardcover books. The printing press is on it's way but has met delays in shipping due to the recent weather. Once the printing press thing is assembled, the intent sounds like they are going to print off full size hard copies of the Castle Keeper's Guide. It has 290 pages of gaming goodness.
zarathustra wrote:What size exactly is that?
It is "digest" sized, which is close to the Pocket Player's Guides that Green Ronin had put out for Mutants & Masterminds and the Song of Ice & Fire RPGs, or the Conan Pocket Players Guide by Mongoose. I don't have a tape measure handy otherwise I'd tell you exactly. In those other digest size examples, the font remains the same (usually) as the full size books. What the Trolls did though was simply shrink down the text and graphics so they didn't have to do any reformating. The digest size of the CKG is exactly the same thing you'll get with the hard cover version (minus the errata updates now) only smaller. A mini-me of sorts of the CKG.

For a visual reference here it is compared to a couple of the Crusader Compiliations which, IIRC are softcover full-size books. So they would be on par with with a full size PHB and M&T

This photo was originally posted by Breakdaddy in this forum thread about the 1st CKG:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10561
zarathustra wrote:Is that what I would be ordering if I ordered now or would I be ordering a hardcover?
It looks like you can order the Digest Size now and have it ship out post haste. Or Pre-order the hard cover, and wait a week or two (depending on weather and how quick the Trolls can assemble and get the Printing Press thing working)
zarathustra wrote:I guess no perfect bound softcover this time (too big?)
Just checked on that as well on the online store, didn't see one up there. I figure they'd like to sell the Digest size and then the Hardcovers first for a while before they print up the soft-covers. Plus we still need the Trolls to get out the Red Leathrette Editions for the CKG, Of God's and Mosters and M&T of Ahirde! ;)

Anyway, that's my take on it. Hope this helps.