Recommended modules?

Open Discussion on all things C&C from new product to general questions to the rules, the laws, and the chaos.
treant_on_fire
Red Cap

Recommended modules?

Post by treant_on_fire »

I've heard C&C can use 2e modules with so little conversion that a CK can convert it on the fly.

If so, I'd like to know if anyone recommends any particular 2e modules that I could track down.

I usually do my own adventures/stories but it'd be just for the thrill of finding old rpg books and trying them out for the fun of it.

I'm thinking of the original Ravenloft module for starters, I'll browse ebay...

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Recommended modules?

Post by Treebore »

Until this past October we had annual online Ravenloft games leading up to Holloween. So its definitely a great start. I'm partial to 1E modules myself. Like for my Tuesday group I have ran the Giants series all the way up to the Lolth module, I have ran the Saltmarsh modules, even adapting the mass battles to C&C's new system, and am currently running UK2 and UK3, and after that the main module we will be going to is the Slavelord modules (My group has been playing for 4 years this March). One Sunday game has us going through the Temple of Elemental Evil, and the other has us in a Forgotten Realms module I am blanking on the name of.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

zarathustra
Red Cap

Post by zarathustra »

Yes you can do it more or less on the fly.

I am actually running a C&C module (Shadows of the Halfling Halls) for my 2E game right now so it works both ways. Didn't take any more preparation than usual really.

As for good 2e modules I recommend;
the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar
Dungeons of Despair (actually an anthology of several good modules from old Dungeon magazines)
Return to the Keep on the Borderlands

1e modules are also close enough to do on the fly, I recommend;
a4 In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords (clunky set up, more suited to a one off nights play perhaps but man o man the creativity both within its pages and required of players is something else!)
u1 the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
u2 Danger at Dunwater
t1 The Village of Hommlett

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I second Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. That was actually my first module I ever played C&C with.
The Night Below boxed set is really good, if you want a campaign spanning adventure and a lot of Underdark.
I also like The Silver Key, and (the companion to Dungeons of Despair that zarathustra mentioned) Road to Danger.

If you don't want to restrict your selection to 2e, I also recommend Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, Secret of Bone Hill, and Agasint the Cult of the Reptile God - all really spectacular modules.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

I like some of the classic d&d (basic) modules like Night's Dark Terror, Keep on the Borderlands, and Rahasia. Those require as little conversion as 2nd ed, which is minimal and can be done on the fly.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Breakdaddy wrote:I like some of the classic d&d (basic) modules like Night's Dark Terror, Keep on the Borderlands, and Rahasia. Those require as little conversion as 2nd ed, which is minimal and can be done on the fly.
Agreed. Rahasia is probably my favorite BD&D module and in the Top 5 of all D&D modules. It's that dang good.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

treant_on_fire
Red Cap

Post by treant_on_fire »

For all future posters, yes all previous editions are good to suggest if they are easily used with C&C.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

treant_on_fire wrote:For all future posters, yes all previous editions are good to suggest if they are easily used with C&C.
Then you have a vast selection, my friend. :)

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I see no reason you cannot use any module written, for any game written, assuming you know the game you are playing and the intent and flavor of the module. Sure, you might have to spontaneously create something, but that is where knowing the game comes in handy -- and the players might do something weird, and that is where knowing the module takes a bow.

Seriously, I could run Harlequin or Harlequin's Back in C&C if I wanted, both from Shadowrun (1st and 2nd editions) or even The Enemy Within Campaign from Warhammer 1st edition if I wanted... it might be harder, or more humorous, to do something from Paranoia but it could happen.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

For my definition of "easy" I also enjoyed using Goodman Games 4E Punjar modules for a Friday Game I ran for a while. I have also used a number of parts, or whole modules, from 3E done by Goodman and Necromancer Games.

Plus I have ran most of the Troll Lord modules, both C&C as well as their D20 modules before they were converted to C&C.

When I look at a module I look for two things, do I like the idea of running it the way it is written, or can I easily change some things to make it into a module I will like to run.

So I have yet to buy a module I didn't end up liking.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

There was a llist of the top 30 modules once upon a time (mixes in 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition I think) http://robert.infogami.com/Dungeon_116: ... adventures. Some of those are nice

You can also look here:

http://www.bothgunsblazing.com/tsr/

in the archive, which includes a picture and brief description of each module, which might catch your fancy. reviews of many of them can be found at dragonsfoot, amazon, etc.

Personally, I have enjoyed or heard good things about:

Low level: B2 Keep on the Borderlands, N1 Cult of the Reptile God, U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, B10 Nights Dark Terror

Mid Level: Many many choices. A1-4 Slavelords, I3-5 Desert of Desolation, many of the UK modules, C1 Hidden shrine of Tamoachan, or C2 Ghost Tower of Inverness etc. etc.

High Level: again, there are many choices, but I think (having just completed it recently) that every gamer should run through the G (giants), D (underdark) and Q (abyss delving against a demi goddess) super series.

That should last you a few years ;)

zarathustra
Red Cap

Post by zarathustra »

Heads up for the OP.

Both "Keep on the Borderlands" and "Return to the Keep on the Borderlands" have been suggested here, be aware that whilst both have their merits they are decades apart and very different in style, content and execution, as one might expect from the same basic premise being redone in two different gaming eras.

treant_on_fire
Red Cap

Post by treant_on_fire »

Aramis wrote:There was a llist of the top 30 modules once upon a time (mixes in 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition I think) http://robert.infogami.com/Dungeon_116: ... adventures. Some of those are nice

You can also look here:

http://www.bothgunsblazing.com/tsr/

in the archive, which includes a picture and brief description of each module, which might catch your fancy. reviews of many of them can be found at dragonsfoot, amazon, etc.

Personally, I have enjoyed or heard good things about:

Low level: B2 Keep on the Borderlands, N1 Cult of the Reptile God, U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, B10 Nights Dark Terror

Mid Level: Many many choices. A1-4 Slavelords, I3-5 Desert of Desolation, many of the UK modules, C1 Hidden shrine of Tamoachan, or C2 Ghost Tower of Inverness etc. etc.

High Level: again, there are many choices, but I think (having just completed it recently) that every gamer should run through the G (giants), D (underdark) and Q (abyss delving against a demi goddess) super series.

That should last you a few years ;)
Sweet! Very cool links, thanks!

treant_on_fire
Red Cap

Post by treant_on_fire »

Got myself the AD&D book 'Diablo II: The Awakening'...

No feedback yet, I've barely started reading it, but I can come back with some thoughts if anyone is interested.

I wonder if the magic items could easily be used in a C&C game... Probably, I'm sure if there's some tweaking to be made it's minimal.

Mark Hall
Hlobane Orc

Post by Mark Hall »

Lord Dynel wrote:I second Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. That was actually my first module I ever played C&C with.
The Night Below boxed set is really good, if you want a campaign spanning adventure and a lot of Underdark.
I also like The Silver Key, and (the companion to Dungeons of Despair that zarathustra mentioned) Road to Danger.

If you don't want to restrict your selection to 2e, I also recommend Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, Secret of Bone Hill, and Agasint the Cult of the Reptile God - all really spectacular modules.
I'll qualify The Night Below... while a great campaign, the first part being excellent, the second part drags and flounders, IMO. We've never gotten to the third part because the second part is such a drag.
I don't have to have everything perfect... just good enough that the seams don't show on the monkey suit. -Me
I like that. Not going to use it because I like mine better, but I do like that idea. -Treebore, summing up most home designers' philosophy

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

treant_on_fire wrote:Got myself the AD&D book 'Diablo II: The Awakening'...

No feedback yet, I've barely started reading it, but I can come back with some thoughts if anyone is interested.

I wonder if the magic items could easily be used in a C&C game... Probably, I'm sure if there's some tweaking to be made it's minimal.
I love the D&D Diablo books. We had a great time playing a few campaigns using both the 2E version and the 3E version.

I like the treasure charts in the 3E version much better, though. ;) And though completely overpowered for standard C&C, you can use the items on these charts with C&C. Some things may have to be converted, but not much.

EXPLODE FETISHES INTO LOOT PILES!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

Treebore wrote:Until this past October we had annual online Ravenloft games leading up to Holloween. So its definitely a great start. I'm partial to 1E modules myself. Like for my Tuesday group I have ran the Giants series all the way up to the Lolth module, I have ran the Saltmarsh modules, even adapting the mass battles to C&C's new system, and am currently running UK2 and UK3, and after that the main module we will be going to is the Slavelord modules (My group has been playing for 4 years this March). One Sunday game has us going through the Temple of Elemental Evil, and the other has us in a Forgotten Realms module I am blanking on the name of.
Just curious Tree, how did the ending for UK3 go for your group? We just finished it up this past weekend. It is usually just my son and me, with my wife and daughter joining in occasionally. I play their characters in their absence. The final encounter was somewhat anti climatic. I was dreading a coming TPK, but they managed to avoid it with everyone intact. Without spoiling the module for anyone, my son's Ranger had the "lead" part, so his chances for succeeding were much greater than if it had been a Wizard.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I slightly question the premise of the OP. You can definitely convert pre-3E material on the fly for use with C&C. However, C&C scales differently in C&C than D&D. Saving throws tend to be much tougher in C&C than D&D at high levels. Low- to mid-level modules translate nicely, but the power expectations of high level pre-3E material are different so that you may need or want to be careful not to overpower your C&C players. Or you may just want to challenge the hell out of them and run the modules as-is.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

GatewayTodd
Mist Elf

Post by GatewayTodd »

I ran a long campaign for my C&C group using nothing but classic 1E adventures. Up through about 8th level I made very few changes. From 9th through 15th level I really had to start ramping the monsters up. For the Against the Giants series I started giving all of the giants their corresponding strength bonuses to attacks and damage and maxed out their hit points.

Todd